Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2014   #1161
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He was money in the play-offs 3 years ago. More than just a "don't screw it up game manager"
Oh I agree. He was good enough that the Walrus installed him as the starter of a 2-14 team and, by so doing, made them a playoff team. He has to be a bit better than a "don't screw it up" QB to pull that off.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1162
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If consistent, solid, "don't blow the damned game", play is your definition of "franchise" then the Alex Smith of the past 3-4 years fits that definition.
and I'm not playin'
That fits my definition much better than inconsistent, undecisive and "blows the damned game" does.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1163
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That fits my definition much better than inconsistent, undecisive and "blows the damned game" does.
Funny. I think of Romo as a franchise QB, though he isn't elite. The traits you mention fit Romo to a T. So I don't know how I define "franchise QB" to be honest.

When I think of the Dallas Cowboys, I think Romo. They've been a mediocre franchise because Tony Romo can't get to that next step. Tony is the franchise.

Doesn't make sense, I know it. But Romo is a franchise QB.
Old 04-26-2014   #1164
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Funny. I think of Romo as a franchise QB, though he isn't elite. The traits you mention fit Romo to a T. So I don't know how I define "franchise QB" to be honest.

When I think of the Dallas Cowboys, I think Romo. They've been a mediocre franchise because Tony Romo can't get to that next step. Tony is the franchise.

Personally, I don't like the term "franchise QB." To me, it just means a starter that could take you all the way with a less than stellar team, a guy that you wouldn't trade for anyone other than a few elite QBs, if anyone. But to other people, it means different things and who you would trade for Drew Brees and who I would trade for Drew Brees would be different groups of people.

So it's just a beauty contest type of term depending on the eye of the beholder and not anything objective.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1165
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Romo would be elite if he was on a less dysfunctional team. IMHO, the Cowboy's are mediocre and will continue to be mediocre because of Jerrah Jones. That man is a train wreck of an owner and has absolutely no business playing GM of a Pop Warner team, much less an NFL franchise.

It doesn't help that Jones went out and paid Romo a ridiculous amount of money. Adds even more pressure to Romo and screws up the slary cap.
Old 04-26-2014   #1166
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not get those terms twisted up.

Franchise is not equivalent to Elite,

For example Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, and even Tony Romo are all franchise QBs. None of them are what I'd consider elite.

Elite, for me, means you're a Hall of Fame candidate. Today's elite QBs are P. Manning, T. Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers. For me that's the list.
Old 04-27-2014   #1167
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Let's not get those terms twisted up.

Franchise is not equivalent to Elite,

For example Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, and even Tony Romo are all franchise QBs. None of them are what I'd consider elite.

Elite, for me, means you're a Hall of Fame candidate. Today's elite QBs are P. Manning, T. Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers. For me that's the list.
Best explaination I've seen from anyone.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2014   #1168
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

....who's your quarterback ?!

It aint Mallett.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #1169
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
....who's your quarterback ?!

It aint Mallett.
Fitzpatrick.

....at least until someone beats him out.

and that should happen by the end of this season; if not by the end of camp.
Old 05-01-2014   #1170
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

A writer for the Baltimore Sun says that the Ravens are keeping their eye on Yates. He states this as fact without citing sources. Keenum is mentioned, but we know who Gary would prefer in his system.

Quote:
The Ravens also are keeping an eye on the Houston Texans’ quarterback situation with either T.J. Yates or Case Keenum, who both have familiarity with Gary Kubiak’s offense, possibly getting their release after the draft. The Ravens would be intrigued, especially by Yates.
Link
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #1171
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The Ravens can have Yates. But I would still like to see Keenum playing for the Texans in 2014. We will have to wait and see what O'Brien thinks. It will be interesting to see how the 2014 season unfolds under this new regime.
Old 05-02-2014   #1172
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tampa Bay - Adam Caplan of ESPN thinks QB Mike Glennon is "as good as gone" and that the Buccaneers are going to try to move him.

Why It Matters - Glennon was actually very efficient for a rookie, with a 19-9 TD-INT ratio in 13 starts, and one of the ten best rookie passer ratings of first-year quarterbacks who started at least five games. He is probably worth at least the third round pick Tampa used to draft him last year, but with the league knowing they are done with him in the event of an early quarterback pick, they might have to settle for a third-day pick. Glennon could be a steal with his arrow pointing in the right direction despite a new regime that seems lack confidence in his future.
Anyone like Glennon any less than Mettenberger / Savage / Garoppolo / etc?

He fits what we are led to believe O'Brien's prototype is. I'd love to bring him in.
Old 05-02-2014   #1173
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take him over Savage but not Mettenberger or Garoppolo unless the draft pick we give up is a 4th or later. Our 3rd this year is too high to give up.
Old 05-02-2014   #1174
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
A writer for the Baltimore Sun says that the Ravens are keeping their eye on Yates. He states this as fact without citing sources. Keenum is mentioned, but we know who Gary would prefer in his system.

Link
Dear, Lord!!!! This board would explode if we could get a draft pick out of the Ravens for Yates!!! Then I would lobby the NFL to have the Ravens put in the AFC South. LOL

I keep going back and forth on the 1.1 pick if we don't trade. Part of me says take the sure money and get Robertson and part of me says to hell with it. Roll the dice on JFF. Boom or bust, it'll be one helluva ride!! Just go into knowing the risk.
Old 05-03-2014   #1175
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am of the opinion that only three QB's will go in the first round of the draft. So either Bridgewater or Carr will be there at 33. If DC is there I take him and he starts at some point in the season. If TB is there I take a QB later and let him be a back-up for a year.

Either way Fitz is the starter day one ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #1176
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
I am of the opinion that only three QB's will go in the first round of the draft. So either Bridgewater or Carr will be there at 33. If DC is there I take him and he starts at some point in the season. If TB is there I take a QB later and let him be a back-up for a year.

Either way Fitz is the starter day one ...
Yeah Clowney and Carr would be ideal what a haul

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #1177
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Some dude on twitter said the Texans just traded for him? Can someone confirm who has time to look it up?

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #1178
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan View Post
Some dude on twitter said the Texans just traded for him? Can someone confirm who has time to look it up?
Tom Curran, a Boston head, tweeted that a deal is almost done for him. He is the only person saying this so far. Grain of salt needed, I reckon
Old 05-08-2014   #1179
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Did I just hear Ryan Mallet? Did we make a trade for Ryan Mallet?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #1180
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12817 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tom E. Curran @ tomecurran

A source tells me Ryan Mallett to the
Texans may soon be done.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read