Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-23-2014   #1141
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
So, I ask the question again, who is this franchise QB you think we can just "go get"?

I'm sorry if this came across as a little harsh, but I'm so sick & tired of hearing how Manziel walks on water or how all we have to do is go get a franchise QB.
Agreed. Are Franchise QBs on sale at Target this week? I must have missed that ad.

I kid of course, but to listen to the damn talking heads - very few of which had jobs that depended on them actually having to make a franchise pick and live with the repercussions - they're are at least three or four in every draft. Bulls#!t. Even the no-brainers like RGIII and Andrew Luck haven't reached Franchise status of a Peyton or a Drew Brees. Russell Wilson and Joe Flacco both have a Super Bowl rings and the verdict is very much still out on whether they are currently considered to be Franchise QBs.

Or maybe I'm too strict with my definition of a franchise QB. I think the player must match certain criteria to be considered a franchise quarterback: consistency, talent, leadership/maturity, and football intelligence. Are these attributes too much to expect?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #1142
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Even the no-brainers like RGIII and Andrew Luck haven't reached Franchise status of a Peyton or a Drew Brees.
I remember when Peyton came into the league. Even though his team wasn't immediately successful, you could tell there was something about him.

I felt the same about Phillip Rivers when he was allowed to play.

Everyone else, it took time before I thought they were "franchise" QBs. Drew Brees, I didn't think too much of it when San Diego let him go. I thought New Orleans might have hitched their wagon to the wrong cart really. & though Aaron Rodgers was impressive when he finally started, he did sit for 3 years.

Still, Peyton & Drew Brees status is way more than just "franchise" those guys are HOF caliber.

Andrew Luck is a "sure thing" because he has all the measurables, played in a pro system, made good decisions, made smart decisions, was prolific playing in a major conference (albeit not at a "major" football program)
Old 04-24-2014   #1143
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

My point was - and is - you don't know what the hell you're gonna end up with until they get out on the field, in your system, playing against NFL defenses, at NFL speed. So this "just go get a franchise QB" attitude is misguided and fueled by the goofy-a$$ed talking heads. They throw that word around way too much for my tastes.

Let's look at 1st round QBs drafted starting with 2004 and see what the success rate looks like.... How many actual "franchise QBs" are in this group? Twenty-seven first rounders, I see maybe 6 - 7 franchise guys. How many do you guys see?
Eli Manning (#1)
Phillip Rivers (#4)
Ben Roethlisberger (#11)
J. P. Losman (#22)
Alex Smith (#1)
Aaron Rodgers (#24)
Jason Campbell (#25)
Vince Young (#3)
Matt Leinart (#10)
Jay Cutler (#11)
JaMarcus Russell (#1)
Brady Quinn (#22)
Matt Ryan (#3)
Joe Flacco (#11)
Matthew Stafford (#1)
Mark Sanchez (#5)
Josh Freeman (#17)
Sam Bradford (#1)
Tim Tebow (#25)
Cam Newton (#1)
Jake Locker (#8)
Blaine Gabbert (#10)
Jake Locker (#12)
Andrew Luck (#1)
Robert Griffin (#2)
Ryan Tannehill (#8)
Brandon Weeden (#22)
Old 04-24-2014   #1144
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was - and is - you don't know what the hell you're gonna end up with until they get out on the field, in your system, playing against NFL defenses, at NFL speed. So this "just go get a franchise QB" attitude is misguided and fueled by the goofy-a$$ed talking heads. They throw that word around way too much for my tastes.
I was pretty much agreeing with you, just saying it takes time for most franchise QBs to actually look like a franchise QB.

I honestly had no idea Drew Brees was going to be as special as he was. I don't know if he would have, honestly, had he not found his kindred spirit in Sean Payton.
Old 04-24-2014   #1145
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was pretty much agreeing with you, just saying it takes time for most franchise QBs to actually look like a franchise QB.

I honestly had no idea Drew Brees was going to be as special as he was. I don't know if he would have, honestly, had he not found his kindred spirit in Sean Payton.
Brees played well in San Diego but it was his shoulder surgery that expedited his exit if I'm remembering correctly. The Bolts were in position to take Rivers (The Charger coaching staff coached the Sr bowl that year) and Schotty's crew was in love with him so they took him and let go of the guy with the injury question mark.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #1146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Brees played well in San Diego but it was his shoulder surgery that expedited his exit if I'm remembering correctly. The Bolts were in position to take Rivers (The Charger coaching staff coached the Sr bowl that year) and Schotty's crew was in love with him so they took him and let go of the guy with the injury question mark.
I remember.

Even without the shoulder, I don't know that he played so well that they would have kept him over Rivers. I mean, Matt Schaub played well at times, for entire seasons even, but he never fooled anyone into believing he was a franchise QB.

His first year in NewOrleans though.... no question about it. He was better than "just" good.
Old 04-24-2014   #1147
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember.

Even without the shoulder, I don't know that he played so well that they would have kept him over Rivers. I mean, Matt Schaub played well at times, for entire seasons even, but he never fooled anyone into believing he was a franchise QB.

His first year in NewOrleans though.... no question about it. He was better than "just" good.
He threw for around 7000 yards and 52 TD's his last two years at the Bolts...I know my football and I'm fairly positive they would have resigned him based on commentary and scuttlebutt. The shoulder problem and being at the end of his first contract just made them go to Rivers instead of gamble with a big contract going for possibly damaged goods.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2014   #1148
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let's look at 1st round QBs drafted starting with 2004 and see what the success rate looks like.... How many actual "franchise QBs" are in this group? Twenty-seven first rounders, I see maybe 6 - 7 franchise guys.
Giving a little room for doubt I would say 7.

To me this gets back to there only being 1-2 solid QBs per year with some years having none. All this talk of "very deep QB class" is bunk to me because it isn't going to be some epic 4-5 starters year particularly when there is "no separation" and "none are worthy of being taken high." Those assertions are like oil and water.
Old 04-24-2014   #1149
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
He threw for around 7000 yards and 52 TD's his last two years at the Bolts...I know my football and I'm fairly positive they would have resigned him based on commentary and scuttlebutt. The shoulder problem and being at the end of his first contract just made them go to Rivers instead of gamble with a big contract going for possibly damaged goods.
Besides, they already had one big money QB (6 yrs, $40 Mil) on the roster in Rivers. So when Brees got hurt AND was at the end of his contract - they franchised him the previous year - that made letting him walk that much easier.

Had Brees not gotten hurt, it would have been interesting to see if they really would have re-signed Brees and, therefore, kept two high-dollar QBs on the roster.
Old 04-24-2014   #1150
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup. People are forgetting how serious the shoulder concerns were. To put it in perspective, Miami took Culpepper over Brees because of the injury concern and Culpepper himself was coming off a brutal knee injury from which he never recovered.

Quote:
Besides, they already had one big money QB (6 yrs, $40 Mil) on the roster in Rivers. So when Brees got hurt AND was at the end of his contract - they franchised him the previous year - that made letting him walk that much easier.

Had Brees not gotten hurt, it would have been interesting to see if they really would have re-signed Brees and, therefore, kept two high-dollar QBs on the roster.
Someone would have gotten traded and for serious compensation.
Old 04-24-2014   #1151
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The way I remember it, there were actually TWO pinch points.

Mike Riley drafted Brees in 2001 and he didn't play at all. Then he was the starter in 2002 and 2003 and he wasn't living up to expectations. He went 2-9 as a starter in 2003 and only threw for 2000ish yards. So then Schottenheimer drafted Rivers. But Brees came out in 2004 killing it-- two straight 3000+ yard seasons, 11-4 one year, but only 9-7 the next.

That's when he hurt his shoulder. Rivers had sat on the bench for two years at that point and was champing at the bit and Brees' shoulder injury made their decision a lot easier. If Brees' last two games with the Chargers had been better than 150-160 yards passing and if they had won those two games and made it into the playoffs instead of fading at the end and missing out, he might still have been a Charger.

But that shoulder injury gave them the perfect excuse to get rid of him. They weren't tied to him like they were to Rivers.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #1152
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let's look at 1st round QBs drafted starting with 2004 and see what the success rate looks like.... How many actual "franchise QBs" are in this group? Twenty-seven first rounders, I see maybe 6 - 7 franchise guys. How many do you guys see?
Eli Manning (#1)
Phillip Rivers (#4)
Ben Roethlisberger (#11)
J. P. Losman (#22)
Alex Smith (#1)
Aaron Rodgers (#24)
Jason Campbell (#25)
Vince Young (#3)
Matt Leinart (#10)
Jay Cutler (#11)
JaMarcus Russell (#1)
Brady Quinn (#22)
Matt Ryan (#3)
Joe Flacco (#11)
Matthew Stafford (#1)
Mark Sanchez (#5)
Josh Freeman (#17)
Sam Bradford (#1)
Tim Tebow (#25)
Cam Newton (#1)
Jake Locker (#8)
Blaine Gabbert (#10)
Christian Ponder (#12)
Andrew Luck (#1)
Robert Griffin (#2)
Ryan Tannehill (#8)
Brandon Weeden (#22)
Franchise QB

Potential Franchise QB

I know some people will disagree with Stafford and Cutler, but they would be the unquestioned starter on any of the teams that didn't have one of the other guys in green. My definition of franchise QB may also be different from the consensus idea. I think a franchise QB is a guy who is good enough that you can build a consistent championship contending team around him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #1153
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was probably the "luckiest" fumble ever to ever happen. You may not remember, but on the play that he injured his shoulder, he fumbled.......tried to stretch out and reach for the lost ball........then, with his arm outstretched, about 3 or 4 of the D's players landed right on that shoulder, dislocating it ...........he went on to surgery.............then on to greatness.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1154
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Franchise QB

Potential Franchise QB

I know some people will disagree with Stafford and Cutler, but they would be the unquestioned starter on any of the teams that didn't have one of the other guys in green. My definition of franchise QB may also be different from the consensus idea. I think a franchise QB is a guy who is good enough that you can build a consistent championship contending team around him.
True dat !
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1155
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Franchise QB

Potential Franchise QB

No respect for Alex Smith .... All he's done is put up 10+win seasons the last three , even after changing teams.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1156
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think Mallet will be available draft time for a "throw away" pick. Like a 6th or 7th
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No respect for Alex Smith .... All he's done is put up 10+win seasons the last three , even after changing teams.
I agree. All he does is win.

Old 04-26-2014   #1158
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And he was having to learn a new system just about every year early in his career.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #1159
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007
My definition of franchise QB may also be different from the consensus idea. I think a franchise QB is a guy who is good enough that you can build a consistent championship contending team around him.
Quote:
Quote:
I agree. All he does is win.

If consistent, solid, "don't blow the damned game", play is your definition of "franchise" then the Alex Smith of the past 3-4 years fits that definition.
and I'm not playin'
Old 04-26-2014   #1160
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
If consistent, solid, "don't blow the damned game", play is your definition of "franchise" then the Alex Smith of the past 3-4 years fits that definition.
and I'm not playin'
He was money in the play-offs 3 years ago. More than just a "don't screw it up game manager"

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read