Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-07-2014   #1021
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Fair enough. I like Wilson and I see the talent, but I'd like to see what he can do if he was asked to score 20+ points/game.
Kinda setting the bar high there. Only one QB in the league met that standard last year and he set a new NFL record doing it.
Old 04-07-2014   #1022
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Re watch the game and you will see the D sugar rushing Wilson. Maintaining their lanes and not really trying to sack him, just keep him in the pocket. In the 2nd half the were full out rushing leaving all kinds of lanes for him to run through. He was only taking what they were giving him, which was wide open running lanes unlike in the first half.

Protecting the ball, and not turning it over is what he does best, but that is not an elite QB by any stretch in my eyes. Perhaps he will become that in the future, but as of now, at least in my eyes, he is nothing more than a middle of the road QB who minimizes mistakes.

I still think the Mallett trade is a possibility, but if O'Brien gives up a 2:1 for him, I am going to be very disappointed. Unless Mallett comes in and just kills it, which is possible, but IMO unlikely.
Wouldn't protecting the ball and not turning it over be a prerequisite of an elite QB not named Brett Favre? It's extremely difficult to win if your QB doesn't do that. I'm not saying Wilson is elite, but I'd say he's top 10 in the league right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
When you have a defense as good as theirs , that's all you ask of your QB , don't screw it up. I do somewhat agree with your eye test .... but think you may be selling him short as he can make a defense pay with either throwing or running.

I doubt a trade for Mallett is in the works & would be highly disappointed giving up #33 for him much less #33 and anything else. Yes , he has a big arm .... but that's not even a requirement for success , show me the ability to read a defense , slide in the pocket and make throws down the seams and to the deep outs.

Also concerning Mallett , I hesitate to trade premium draft picks for a guy who will be playing the final year of his rookie deal & then have to pony up standard QB money for after that year.
I much prefer to draft a guy & have him for multiple years on his rookie deal allowing you to spend those funds elsewhere then make adjustments once he comes off that rookie deal
Great post. Agree 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yeah, we've seen QBs who make minimal mistakes & benefit from suffocating defenses. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, even Joe Flacco (not the Super Bowl, that was on Flacco).

Then we've seen young play making game managers make the most of their awesome defenses. Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger.....

Wilson is a lot closer to the Brady/Roethlisberger model than he is to the Dilfer/Johnson model.
Good post. We've also seen some of the best QB's to ever play the game win 0 or 1 Super Bowl. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Fran Tarkington, Dan Pastorini (I kid, I kid), etc...MSR
Old 04-07-2014   #1023
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm actually kind of interested to see how the 3 QB's on our roster do in BOB's system. I don't think Fitz has played on a team as talented as the Texans (flame suit on) and think Yates and Keenum both looked very good last preseason. I also don't think either one got a fair shake during the season after Schaub's historic meltdown.

It'll be very interesting to see what shakes out from BOB's time with the QB's before the draft.
Old 04-07-2014   #1024
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm actually kind of interested to see how the 3 QB's on our roster do in BOB's system. I don't think Fitz has played on a team as talented as the Texans (flame suit on) and think Yates and Keenum both looked very good last preseason. I also don't think either one got a fair shake during the season after Schaub's historic meltdown.

It'll be very interesting to see what shakes out from BOB's time with the QB's before the draft.
Wouldn't this be a shock, if OB decided he had enough to work with in Fitz, TJ, and Case that they didn't draft ANY QBs this year?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #1025
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ at QB, JJ Watt at tight end and "Johnny Football" at WR!!

......... Championship!!!
Old 04-07-2014   #1026
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wouldn't this be a shock, if OB decided he had enough to work with in Fitz, TJ, and Case that they didn't draft ANY QBs this year?
I'd applaud if they decided this was one of the occasional 0 decent QB classes like 2002, 2006, 2007 and held off rather than waste a pick.
Old 04-07-2014   #1027
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'd applaud if they decided this was one of the occasional 0 decent QB classes like 2002, 2006, 2007 and held off rather than waste a pick.
That would take some cast-iron cojones.
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2014   #1028
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Meh.... I'd pick up AJ McCarron in the second round.
Old 04-07-2014   #1029
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Meh.... I'd pick up AJ McCarron in the second round.
You notice what two of those years have in common with this one?
Old 04-07-2014   #1030
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You notice what two of those years have in common with this one?
You mean, beside the fact that we're picking 1-1 in two of those years?
Old 04-07-2014   #1031
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
You mean, beside the fact that we're picking 1-1 in two of those years?
Nope. That's it.
Old 04-08-2014   #1032
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't protecting the ball and not turning it over be a prerequisite of an elite QB not named Brett Favre? It's extremely difficult to win if your QB doesn't do that. I'm not saying Wilson is elite, but I'd say he's top 10 in the league right now.
Well sure protecting the ball would be a prerequisite of an elite QB, but how many QB's in the league are capable of doing that? Not many, even so called Elite players like one named Eli. As I said, I am not saying Wilson is a bad QB, I am just saying he is overrated and has not done much to impress me, and my standards are low remember? I support Schaub. Perhaps as the years go by I will be more impressed, but let's be honest, it's been a few years. With the ebb and flow of the NFL, he could fall off a cliff this season.

Quote:

While I agree Yates did not get a fair shake last season, Keenum got more than a fair shake. How many other QB's have gotten a chance to come in as a UDFA and start 6 games in the NFL? You didn't afford any excuses for Schaub's play when the team was collapsing around him, don't make excuses for Keenum regardless of the circumstances. Keenum had a great opportunity to prove himself. He failed. Having said that, I would rather see him start than Fitzpatrick!

Quote:
It would be a shock, especially since he has already said there was no question the Texans were going to select a QB this year, but just was not sure what round. If O'Brien determines that from the QB's he has on his roster now, he should be fired immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
AJ at QB, JJ Watt at tight end and "Johnny Football" at WR!!

......... Championship!!!
LOL

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #1033
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It would be a shock, especially since he has already said there was no question the Texans were going to select a QB this year, but just was not sure what round. If O'Brien determines that from the QB's he has on his roster now, he should be fired immediately!
Actually, he said he might take two...Here's the PFT link.

But that could just be a smokescreen and jedi-mind-tricks!

Seriously, though. I expect him to draft at least one. But if he chooses not to pick now, I'm fine with that, too. I'd rather he draft good players than to draft a QB he doesn't think will be any good. Sometimes it's better to just move on rather than to force things.

This just might not be the year we can solve the QB position. If it isn't, I hope next year is.
Old 04-08-2014   #1034
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
As I said, I am not saying Wilson is a bad QB, I am just saying he is overrated and has not done much to impress me, and my standards are low remember? I support Schaub. Perhaps as the years go by I will be more impressed, but let's be honest, it's been a few years. With the ebb and flow of the NFL, he could fall off a cliff this season.
Not sure how he can be overrated when most people are dismissing him as you do.

FYI - Schaub never in his career put up 54 TDs in 2 seasons. His best 2 season stretch of his career he hit 53 TDs and that was with 357 more passing attempts (about 45% more). Your standards aren't consistent.
Old 04-08-2014   #1035
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure how he can be overrated when most people are dismissing him as you do.

FYI - Schaub never in his career put up 54 TDs in 2 seasons. His best 2 season stretch of his career he hit 53 TDs and that was with 357 more passing attempts (about 45% more). Your standards aren't consistent.
And Schaub's best two years overall ratings by PFF were a very good 7th overall in both 2009/2010,

Wilson's only two years overall ratings have been 5th in his rookie year and 4th in 2013. He might get better.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #1036
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Wilson's only two years overall ratings have been 5th in his rookie year and 4th in 2013. He might get better.
To put a little more fine point on it - the only QBs who beat him both years were Peyton and Rodgers. That is some pretty damn rarified air he is in.

And I'm sorry, but this "he isn't called upon to do much" or "it's the system" stuff simply doesn't explain away that away. That kind of thing gets a QB by it doesn't get him that far up the ladder.
Old 04-08-2014   #1037
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
all the Texans need is a little magic in Reliant....

FitzMagic!

Still think Bortles will be #1 overall...My soul just died a little by typing that...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #1038
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but this "he isn't called upon to do much" or "it's the system" stuff simply doesn't explain away that away. That kind of thing gets a QB by it doesn't get him that far up the ladder.
He's on a good team. He's a top QB. Not mutually exclusive.

Give him an elite WR/TE and see what he does.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #1039
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Fair enough. I like Wilson and I see the talent, but I'd like to see what he can do if he was asked to score 20+ points/game.
What?! 20+ pts/game?!?
That's three TDs every game. By himself! I mean 16 games x 3 TDs = 48 for the year. Only three guys in the history of the NFL have done that, Peyton (twice), Brady, and Marino. You're asking a helluva lot.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #1040
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, he said he might take two...Here's the PFT link.

But that could just be a smokescreen and jedi-mind-tricks!

Seriously, though. I expect him to draft at least one. But if he chooses not to pick now, I'm fine with that, too. I'd rather he draft good players than to draft a QB he doesn't think will be any good. Sometimes it's better to just move on rather than to force things.

This just might not be the year we can solve the QB position. If it isn't, I hope next year is.
If a 2nd QB is taken, I could see it being Logan Thomas. I know there are several folks on here that think he'll be moved to TE, but I can't help thinking that OB might feel he can make something of him. I also believe that OB might see some Ryan Mallett in him & I remember reading somewhere that OB had some influence in NE drafting him. They are both 6'6" 245lbs with strong arms & need help with their games & Thomas has very good straight line speed as well.

I'll even go further out on this limb & proclaim that the Texans will draft Brett Smith in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read