Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2014   #841
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He said he's starting to believe more & more that Schaub will be here iin 2014. I'm just trying to help him think it through. Bob, Bill, & Rick are going to have to decide what they are going to get from Matt Schaub in return for $10M of new money, & if it's worth it.

So I asked the question.... what can Schaub do that Tj & Case cannot.

I can't think of anything other than wins so I jumped there with the second question. If you can think of another reason to give Schaub $10M, by all means do so.

Then the final question.... is it worth it to them?
Aren't the $10M guaranteed anyways?

so it's the difference between paying him 10$ for not occupy a spot on the 53 roster or giving him $13.625 for staying on the roster

unless I got it wrong
Old 03-12-2014   #842
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we take a young guy via the first 2 rounds, I don't really care if our 'vet' is Schaub, McCown or whoever.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #843
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He can mentor a hell of a lot better than either of them. That is something McNair mentioned when talking QBs - that they wanted a vet even if they drafted a QB 1.1.

Look, I don't want them to keep Schaub but it isn't unreasonable from the Texans' perspective (other than fan considerations).
who can schaub mentor is my first question. he's done his time with keenum and yates. a "new vet" wont need a lot of schaub. a rookie i'd assume o'brien would want to be tutored without the previous school introducing any contrary style/opinions. to that i ask, why would o'brien want schaub as a mentor?

i would absolutely love schaub as a backup. he's still a very very good quarterback. top 15 if healthy, but the foot is degenerative and as a starter would be ugly in the back half of the season, if the individual/team pressure as well as fan pressure allowed him that far. i want to keep him, but i dont see it as a mentor, it would be as a very expensive late season backup.
Old 03-12-2014   #844
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Aren't the $10M guaranteed anyways?

so it's the difference between paying him 10$ for not occupy a spot on the 53 roster or giving him $13.625 for staying on the roster

unless I got it wrong
No.

There are two different $10 mils getting confused here and one is a $10.5 mil.

There is $10.5 for money which has already been paid to Schaub which has not yet appeared on the cap. It must appear at some point. So if he is cut (non-June 1st) it will appear on the 2014 cap as $10.5 dead money.

If he stays, he is owed payment of $10 mil for this year which he hasn't been paid yet, but only one third of the dead money would go on the cap this year - $3.5 mil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
who can schaub mentor is my first question. he's done his time with keenum and yates. a "new vet" wont need a lot of schaub. a rookie i'd assume o'brien would want to be tutored without the previous school introducing any contrary style/opinions. to that i ask, why would o'brien want schaub as a mentor?
Well I would assume if the Texans choose to keep him they do not agree with your assumption and believe he would be a good mentor and would help a rookie pick up the new pro system faster.

Quote:
it would be as a very expensive late season backup.
I think it would be more early season starter so they do not feel forced to start a rookie just like the deals the Jags just made with Henne and the Vikings with Cassel.
Old 03-12-2014   #845
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it would be more early season starter so they do not feel forced to start a rookie just like the deals the Jags just made with Henne and the Vikings with Cassel.
also a possibility. either way i was gearing towards schaub being a competent starter for a portion of the season. i'm not in the camp that schaub is damaged goods. i think in short bursts or as a backup he can be the 2011 matt schaub, and worth more than anyone else we could bring in to fill the role. he just doesnt have the longevity to be the starter (with or without fan hell), and wouldnt be much of a "locker room guru" considering the likely future of the franchise. i assume that o'brien would take that authority away, unlike wade/kubiak/mcnair allowing ed reed to crap on everything in the guise of experience and leadership.
Old 03-12-2014   #846
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

has of now if Matt schaub hit the F/A market I think he would be the hottest F/a QB on the market deff over VIck that's why no teams have signed a QB yet other then cassell I think there waiting 2 see what the Texans do

so with that being said I don't even matt would want to stay here knowing he coul get payed either way
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #847
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Quote:
Josh McCown agrees to a 2 yr deal with Tampa per his agent, Mike McCartney. Will have real chance to compete for that job
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2014   #848
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

All right! I believe we dodged a bullet there. Thank you Tampa Bay. You just saved us from "Ed Reed part 2".

In my opinion, our #1 priority should be to sign a starting RT in free agency. No matter who we trot out as our starting QB next year we have to be able to keep them up right to do their job. The sad part is I haven't seen the Texans being listed as interested in any of them. Instead, we were bringing in a one year wonder to look at. As a fan, I do not understand this front office's thinking.

As for acquiring Mallett, I liked the guy coming out of college & now that he seems to have gotten his life in order the last 3 years, I really like the idea of trading for him. But, we have to get a starting RT in free agency. That will open up so many opportunities for us in the draft to load up on defense.

The way I see it, all we have to do is trade down with Atlanta (assuming they still want Clowney). I read somewhere that Atlanta might offer their 1st (#6), 2nd (#37) & a 2015 2nd to move up to #2 if Clowney is still on the board. Why can't the Texans take the same deal? I know it's less than the alleged "fair value", but it would fill our needs better than just sitting at #1 & taking Clowney.

The deal could be done prior to the draft & if it went down something like that, we could take Kalil Mack at #6 & send pick #37 to New England for Mallett. The net result is we still get a starting OLB, a starting QB, keep all of our current draft picks & pick up an extra 2nd round pick for next year. What would be wrong with that deal?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #849
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
The way I see it, all we have to do is trade down with Atlanta (assuming they still want Clowney). I read somewhere that Atlanta might offer their 1st (#6), 2nd (#37) & a 2015 2nd to move up to #2 if Clowney is still on the board. Why can't the Texans take the same deal? I know it's less than the alleged "fair value", but it would fill our needs better than just sitting at #1 & taking Clowney.

The deal could be done prior to the draft & if it went down something like that, we could take Kalil Mack at #6 & send pick #37 to New England for Mallett. The net result is we still get a starting OLB, a starting QB, keep all of our current draft picks & pick up an extra 2nd round pick for next year. What would be wrong with that deal?
Sounds sweet. And we'd still have #33 to do with as we chose...

If you could get Atlanta to bite, you could have Rick Smith's job.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #850
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

There's always Weeden....

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 37s
Cleveland Browns will be releasing quarterback Brandon Weeden, per @MikeSilver.
Old 03-12-2014   #851
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Is it me, or would he be a marketing dream in Denver or Seattle....

wait for it.....

waaaaaait for it.....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #852
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
has of now if Matt schaub hit the F/A market I think he would be the hottest F/a QB on the market deff over VIck that's why no teams have signed a QB yet other then cassell I think there waiting 2 see what the Texans do

so with that being said I don't even matt would want to stay here knowing he coul get payed either way
People are getting antsy about Schaub getting cut.

But.

This is a horrible free agent QB market. At some point in the near future, some team is going to be very, very desperate for a veteran QB. When that happens, they're going to come crawling to us with some ridiculous offers.

We aren't under any time-pressure to get rid of him. With the pressure starting to build, we could be able to convert him into something.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #853
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 37s
Cleveland Browns will be releasing quarterback Brandon Weeden, per @MikeSilver.

OK.... so maybe I was wrong about Cleveland's interest in Schaub.
Old 03-12-2014   #854
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
People are getting antsy about Schaub getting cut.

But.

This is a horrible free agent QB market. At some point in the near future, some team is going to be very, very desperate for a veteran QB. When that happens, they're going to come crawling to us with some ridiculous offers.

We aren't under any time-pressure to get rid of him. With the pressure starting to build, we could be able to convert him into something.
The Texans arent generally hard ballers with their players. I feel like they generally release the player and say "we wanted to give them a chance to get on with another team."

The Texans could be killing any chance Schaub has of being a starter this year by keeping him until the draft. WHICH I AM TOTALLY FINE WITH. Just saying this doesnt seem normal for the Texans.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #855
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Starting to feel more and more like Schaub is staying for 1 more season. Cut or traded after this season. Depending on who the rookie QB is, Schaub might not make it past 6-8 games as the starter.

Edit: Schaub will be 7 million in dead money 2015. Roughly 3.5 million less than what his dead money will be for 2014. Essentially what we are paying him to play this season.

Last edited by Blake; 03-12-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Addition
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #856
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Just saying this doesnt seem normal for the Texans.
Regime change. What was normal for the Texans may not be normal anymore.

We don't have enough information yet to know.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #857
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Edit: Schaub will be 7 million in dead money 2015. Roughly 3.5 million less than what his dead money will be for 2014. Essentially what we are paying him to play this season.
Actually it's either 10.5 in 2014 and 0.0 in 2015 or if a June 1st cut it's 3.5 in 2014 and 7.0 in 2015. Looks like you have the 2 combined.

If he's kept for 2014 he counts 14.5 in 2014 against the cap but there's still 7.0 dead money left for 2015/2016.
Old 03-12-2014   #858
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He can mentor a hell of a lot better than either of them.
Would he, though? Didn't come off as a mentor to Keenum. O'Brien has to take the time to teach Schaub the offense, along with teaching a rookie? That makes zero sense, also. Keeping Schaub isn't logical from any perspective.

I remember David Carr wasn't released until after the Texans traded for Schaub. And Smith still tried to snoop around for a trade for Carr, but found no takers at his salary. Same thing with Schaub. No one will trade for that $10 million salary.
Old 03-12-2014   #859
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
That seems reasonable. And even if the Texans don't trade for Mallett, that seems like a very good deal. It's not out of the question that one of the top 3 QBs could be there at 1-6. Not at all.

The real question would be, do the Texans like all of the QBs? If so, let the teams above you determine which QB you take. If they're stuck on one guy, better take him at 1-1 and forget about getting cute.
Old 03-12-2014   #860
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That seems reasonable. And even if the Texans don't trade for Mallett, that seems like a very good deal. It's not out of the question that one of the top 3 QBs could be there at 1-6. Not at all.

The real question would be, do the Texans like all of the QBs?
If so, let the teams above you determine which QB you take. If they're stuck on one guy, better take him at 1-1 and forget about getting cute.
My question is: Do the Texans - mainly O'Brien - like ANY of the top rated QBs coming out this year? If they do, and they know which guy they want at 1-1, what's the advantage of stringing Schaub along and not cutting him now?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read