Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2014   #741
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 39048 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I baffles me how this thread has turned into a suck off for a guy like Ryan Mallett who hasn't taken any meaningful NFL snaps, plus all of this trust in OB, when trust (at least to me) has to be earned and not just granted, especially after Kubiak.

I'm not knocking you; and I've heard some good points about Mallett, but that this has turned into a Mallett thread when there's dudes with much more upside like Kirk Cousins who can be had for a draft pick (who has seen PLENTY of NFL action, by the way) and Matt McGloin who can also be had for a lower draft pick, after playing pretty well behind a crapola Raiders team. I won't fail to mention that McGloin was also OB's boy at Penn State, where they game planned together as Head Coach and starting QB. I can't help but to think there's a synergy there, over anybody else at the moment.

Anyway, look at this from a very simplistic angle: Give a 2nd for Kirk Cousins who was holed away to get a future draft pick and has played some damn good NFL ball, or give a 2nd for Ryan Mallett, who was also holed away for a draft pick, but has done little more than pass Bill O'Brian in the chow line?

I realize that Mallett is not your guy, specifically - you've said it - but I'm just saying that there are more logical options which to use our draft picks.
I think the main point about mallet is that he already had 3 years learning the system, so we don't need to draft a guy and bench him 3 years to let him learn the system.

also, NE will try to trade him now not because they think he is useless but because they probably understand he won't be around next year when he turns FA. So, since they will lose him anyway, they might as well get something for him.

that said I think we can't possibly have more information than OB on the QBs that are available to us.

also, we should give him some trust, you don't want to be in cleveland's position (firing the HC after 1 year)

And I say this regardless of OB being the HC, if it was another guy I would have said the same.
Old 03-10-2014   #742
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm not knocking you; and I've heard some good points about Mallett, but that this has turned into a Mallett thread when there's dudes with much more upside like Kirk Cousins who can be had for a draft pick (who has seen PLENTY of NFL action, by the way) and Matt McGloin who can also be had for a lower draft pick, after playing pretty well behind a crapola Raiders team. I won't fail to mention that McGloin was also OB's boy at Penn State, where they game planned together as Head Coach and starting QB. I can't help but to think there's a synergy there, over anybody else at the moment.
I didn't know either Cousins or McGloin were available. I do know our team inquired about Osweiler, who also wasn't "known" to be available. But that tells me they're looking.

If they're not looking at Cousins (who I don't like as much as Mallet, regardless how much he has played) or McGloin, I imagine there's a reason.
Old 03-10-2014   #743
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I think the main point about mallet is that he already had 3 years learning the system, so we don't need to draft a guy and bench him 3 years to let him learn the system.

also, NE will try to trade him now not because they think he is useless but because they probably understand he won't be around next year when he turns FA. So, since they will lose him anyway, they might as well get something for him.

that said I think we can't possibly have more information than OB on the QBs that are available to us.

also, we should give him some trust, you don't want to be in cleveland's position (firing the HC after 1 year)

And I say this regardless of OB being the HC, if it was another guy I would have said the same.
Yeah, but we're talking about a system, not the system O'Brian is going to run. Frankly, we don't know what system OB is going to run, just as much as most of us hope that Crennel will finesse his two-gap 3-4 system to utilize a talent like Watt, the same way we're hoping OB doesn't run a somewhat vanilla system like he ran at Penn State. It's pretty close to obvious that OB would open up his Penn State profile to NFL standards, but to assume we're going to be the Petite Patriots is a little of a stretch at the moment.

About trust, though, I'm not sure how much fan trust is going to have any bearing on what the FO sees in O'Brian, any more than what we say or do has an affect on what happens on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I didn't know either Cousins or McGloin were available. I do know our team inquired about Osweiler, who also wasn't "known" to be available. But that tells me they're looking.

If they're not looking at Cousins (who I don't like as much as Mallet, regardless how much he has played) or McGloin, I imagine there's a reason.
The fact is, we don't know. Just like everything has a price, so can a player be "bought." In the case of McGloin, it's pretty much been intimated by the Raider's FO that they'll deal either Pryor or McGloin. With Shanahan out of Washington Cousins' fate is a little less clear, where once it was obvious that Cousins was their ace in the hole.

Think about this, though: if it were not one of us mentioning Cousins or McGloin, but instead we'd heard it from news source, like the Osweiler bit, it would have it's own thread. Just like you alluded to, though; how much truth is there any of this. I'll give OB some credit, however, for playing things close to the vest.

This has only just begun.
EVOLVIST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #744
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but we're talking about a system, not the system O'Brian is going to run. Frankly, we don't know what system OB is going to run...
BRB took a guess.... looks plausible to me.
Old 03-10-2014   #745
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Are we adding Brian Hoyer of Cleveland to this mix? I would not mind adding Hoyer and taking Jimmy Garoppolo or Zach Mettenberger in the second round. Hoyer is 28 and looked strong to me with Cleveland when he was on the field. Hoyer was in New England from 2009-2011, which was during BOB's stint with the Pats.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #746
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
Are we adding Brian Hoyer of Cleveland to this mix? I would not mind adding Hoyer and taking Jimmy Garoppolo or Zach Mettenberger in the second round. Hoyer is 28 and looked strong to me with Cleveland when he was on the field. Hoyer was in New England from 2009-2011, which was during BOB's stint with the Pats.
Sooo we are gonna do this again, 8 years later? Gonna attached every player and coach that was in New England to coming to the Texans....

Man I remember when talks were getting Jake Plummber out of retirement to be the QB for the Texans because of Kubiak...

sad thing is, all of these scenario's are plausible...
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #747
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Sooo we are gonna do this again, 8 years later? Gonna attached every player and coach that was in New England to coming to the Texans....

Man I remember when talks were getting Jake Plummber out of retirement to be the QB for the Texans because of Kubiak...

Sad thing would be writing silly rules like

...no QBs who wear #8.
...no QBs at 1.1 if there is a DE available.
...no QBs who were backups.
...no white QBs.
...no QBs the coach has a connection or affinity to.

Pretty soon we're going to be looking for a hispanic QB at spot 13.5 who has a third nipple and no vowels in his name.
Old 03-10-2014   #748
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Pretty soon we're going to be looking for a hispanic QB at spot 13.5 who has a third nipple and no vowels in his name.
That won't work. Number19 already has a guy penciled in at that spot.
Old 03-10-2014   #749
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

What I remember most about Mallet from Arkansas is that he overthrew his receivers a lot. Perhaps I didn't watch them play enough, but I immediately think of the ball sailing over receivers' heads.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #750
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Sad thing would be writing silly rules like

...no QBs who wear #8.
...no QBs at 1.1 if there is a DE available.
...no QBs who were backups.
...no white QBs.
...no QBs the coach has a connection or affinity to.

He's got to be at least 6'6"
Old 03-10-2014   #751
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

Except Gary couldn't get Jake out of retirement and had to settle for Schaub.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #752
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think BOB should just offer up 1-1 for RG3 and be done with it. Oh wait.... there's already a thread on that somewhere.

Not really
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #753
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Except Gary couldn't get Jake out of retirement and had to settle for Schaub.
We don't know Kubiak ever wanted Plummer. All indications are he did not. Your history is screwed up. Plummer was traded to the Bucs in 2007. We could have traded for him instead. His objection was to learning a new system which applied to the Bucs but not the Texans. The trade went down to the Bucs and then he retired.
Old 03-10-2014   #754
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans after McCown?

"Bears backup Josh McCown said Monday there are four teams that have contacted his representatives about signing with them as a free agent.

McCown would not reveal the teams, but ESPN Chicago reported that the Bucs, Jets, Texans and Bears are making a strong push to sign the 35-year-old veteran."

"McCown had a career year in 2013, going 3-2 with the Bears in relief of injured starter Jay Cutler, completing 149 of 224 pass attempts for 1,829 yards, 13 touchdowns and one interception. He finished the season as the NFL’s third highest-rated quarterback with a 109.0 passer rating"

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcBvP?u...houston-texans
Old 03-10-2014   #755
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans after McCown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Bucs, Jets, Texans and Bears
Must be us then since he wants to be a starter.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #756
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

This is truely scrapping the bottom of the barrel. The dude has had one good year in 11 years. Please don't do this Rick. If we have to sign a veteran from what's left available, I'd rather take a chance on Tavaris Jackson.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #757
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

So is there a veteran QB we have not been linked to?
Old 03-10-2014   #758
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
So is there a veteran QB we have not been linked to?
Matt Schaub.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #759
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 29715 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
This is truely scrapping the bottom of the barrel. The dude has had one good year in 11 years. Please don't do this Rick. If we have to sign a veteran from what's left available, I'd rather take a chance on Tavaris Jackson.
Even worse:

ESPN SA ‏@ESPN1250 28m
A man in the know with the #Texans, @McClain_on_NFL says Matt McGloin or Brian Hoyer could be signed by the team, not Cassel or Mallett.
Troy Chapman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #760
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Even worse:

ESPN SA ‏@ESPN1250 28m
A man in the know with the #Texans, @McClain_on_NFL says Matt McGloin or Brian Hoyer could be signed by the team, not Cassel or Mallett.
I just heard that John McClain has made a guarantee that the earth is flat.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read