Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2014   #661
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
NFL.com draft prospect grades - Mallett 7.4, Bortles 6.4, Bridgewater 6.3, Manziel 5.9.
I agree with your point. But, I don't think these grades are on the same scale. Clowney tops out at 7.5 this year, while there were 4 players in 2011 with 8.6 grades (Miller, Peterson, Green, and Darius).
Old 03-09-2014   #662
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree with your point. But, I don't think these grades are on the same scale. Clowney tops out at 7.5 this year, while there were 4 players in 2011 with 8.6 grades (Miller, Peterson, Green, and Darius).
The grades were surprising to me (enough I looked and didn't find any formal scale change). I didn't intend it beyond an outside source that his talent level on the field was graded 1st round and he isn't your ordinary "3rd round" QB.
Old 03-09-2014   #663
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd also take an edge rusher like Miller (if I didn't know he was a pot head), over any of this years QBs with our 1.1, but none of the other guys.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #664
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm trying to download the 2011 drafttracker by grades, but it is super slow or just not loading for me. Regarding the top 3 QBs in this draft, Bortles & Bridgewater are 8-12 ranked, Manziel is in the 25-30 range.
Old 03-09-2014   #665
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'd also take an edge rusher like Miller (if I didn't know he was a pot head), over any of this years QBs with our 1.1, but none of the other guys.
Sometimes the NFL and pundits get caught up in their own self-created rules. Gil Brandt has an article out saying the Texans shouldn't take Mack at 1.1 because he is a LB. Of course he doesn't apply the same logic to the Texans taking Clowney who would play LB for them as well.
Old 03-09-2014   #666
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

If Bill Belichick is willing to trade you Ryan Mallett then you don't want him.
Old 03-09-2014   #667
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
If Bill Belichick is willing to trade you Ryan Mallett then you don't want him.
Old 03-09-2014   #668
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I was never a fan of Mallett. Another in a long line of QB prospects who was overrated due to their size and arm strength.

I do admit that there are things to like about Mallett. But for me, the negatives always outweighed the positives. The biggest negative being that he was a consistent failure in the 4th quarter of games, which I documented in a post a couple of months ago when this idea first came up.

I also said at that time that it would take at least our #33 to get him, when many were thinking he could be had for our #65. NE has all the leverage in a deal like this, which I don't like. If O'Brien signs off on this then obviously I'm on board, but IMO Mallett is not a long term answer. And a trade like this would require a long term commitment, much like the Schaub trade did.

Mallett would be the best QB on this roster next year if we make no other changes, but he would just be the best of a bad group. Again, in my opinion. I see a potential franchise QB (yes, Bridgewater) at #1 who would be better in year 1 and better moving forward. That's what I'd do.
Mallett did lead the Hogs to a Sugar Bowl. How many BCS bowls have they been to since. He had some problems in the 4th qtr but Arkansas team was lacking talent over all. Don't believe me, look at what happened to Tyler Wilson.

Even though Mallett talks like a Arkansas redneck. He's actually a very smart guy. (Parents were educators) I saw him breakdown defenses on the Gruden QB camp and he impressed me. He should've only gotten better with 3 yrs in the Pats system.

Bottom line is do you believe Mallett has the ability to be a franchise QB? I think he does. I would ask in a trade for a change in draft positions in the 2nd rd. 2-33 for 2-61 and the Texans 2015 3rd. That seems like a fair trade to me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #669
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I was never a fan of Mallett. Another in a long line of QB prospects who was overrated due to their size and arm strength.

I do admit that there are things to like about Mallett. But for me, the negatives always outweighed the positives. The biggest negative being that he was a consistent failure in the 4th quarter of games, which I documented in a post a couple of months ago when this idea first came up.
I respect your take on college prospects. If you're not a fan, I'm cautious. This may be a smoke screen for all I know, but if it happens, I hope like heck you're wrong. Lot of things I can overlook... but consistent failure in the 4th??

Do you know why he was so consistent?

Quote:
I also said at that time that it would take at least our #33 to get him, when many were thinking he could be had for our #65. NE has all the leverage in a deal like this, which I don't like. If O'Brien signs off on this then obviously I'm on board, but IMO Mallett is not a long term answer. And a trade like this would require a long term commitment, much like the Schaub trade did.
New England has no leverage. We don't have to have Mallet. Like to... They found Mallet, they find guys like him all the time. New England knows it's more about development than finding that "special" talent.

Quote:
Mallett would be the best QB on this roster next year if we make no other changes, but he would just be the best of a bad group. Again, in my opinion. I see a potential franchise QB (yes, Bridgewater) at #1 who would be better in year 1 and better moving forward. That's what I'd do.
I wish I believed that, because I'd like to get this QB thing behind us. But when this all started, after I looked at these QBs, Bridgewater wasn't the one I thought most likely to succeed. I didn't believe him to be a good enough prospect for the 1-1 overall, & I didn't see much separation between him & the others. Everything that has come out since validates my opinion.

I don't pretend to be an expert. I don't have a very good record predicting the success of college prospects (kinda missed wide on that VY thing). So I would have absolutely no problem if the powers that be took Bridgewater at 1-1, or Bortles, or even JFF... but it screams mistake to me. A chance/gamble we don't have to take.
Old 03-09-2014   #670
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
New England has no leverage. We don't have to have Mallet. Like to... They found Mallet, they find guys like him all the time. New England knows it's more about development than finding that "special" talent.
Mallett is the highest pick Belichick has spent on a QB, Cleveland or NE, and he didn't need a starter or for that matter a backup. They had Hoyer when they drafted Mallett.
Old 03-09-2014   #671
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Even though Mallett talks like a Arkansas redneck. He's actually a very smart guy. (Parents were educators) I saw him breakdown defenses on the Gruden QB camp and he impressed me.
I saw that segment, and Mallett does come off as football savvy. Is he the type of guy McNair would want as a spokesman for the organization? I don't know. Should that really matter when building a winning football organization? Probably not.
Old 03-09-2014   #672
Lucky

Quote:
New England has no leverage. We don't have to have Mallet.
New England doesn't "have to" trade Mallett, either. They could keep him through 2014, lose him in 2015 free agency, and possibly get a comp draft pick for Mallett in 2016. Or trade him pre-or-mid season to a team that loses a QB. There's also the possibility that other QB hungry teams (JAX, OAK, CLE, etc.) could want Mallett after evaluating this class of QBs. You're making a lot of assumptions that don't pass the smell test.
Old 03-09-2014   #673
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish we'd just take bridgewater at 1.1 since I believe he's the best of the available qb's, but I can get behind trading for mallet since I do like him. Trading for mallet would open up options in the draft and possibly allow us to make the team stronger. Especially if mallet can come in and play well immediately.

We could trade 1.1 for a kings ransom or take clowney and hope he is that good.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #674
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
There's so much draft smoke going on, you can't see a foot in front of you. The Texans will trade for Mallett. No they won't. The Texans like Bridgewater. I mean Bortles. I mean Clowney. Who the h-e-l-l knows? It's possible the Texans could trade out of 1-1 and still get a QB. It's too smoky to know anything for sure right now.

I still like Bridgewater the best. But I also like Manziel and Bortles. And Mallett makes sense. Whatever they decide to do, I like the Texans chances of coming out of this process with a QB for the future.
Old 03-09-2014   #675
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Mallett is the highest pick Belichick has spent on a QB, Cleveland or NE, and he didn't need a starter or for that matter a backup. They had Hoyer when they drafted Mallett.
& we still have the #1 overall pick. We can get any QB in this draft.

I want the Mallet deal to go down, I don't have a problem with giving up 33, but I don't believe New England has all the leverage. We don't have to have Mallet.
Old 03-09-2014   #676
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Bottom line is do you believe Mallett has the ability to be a franchise QB?
I'll believe whatever OB believes. On almost all of these decisions we face he appears to be the more informed to choose that most anyone could be.

Something I'm picking up that I think is good... there are no organizational leaks coming out of the Texans FO so far. Nobody knows which of the many options we prefer. John McClain is as in the dark as you and me. Loose lips sink ships.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #677
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I wish we'd just take bridgewater at 1.1 since I believe he's the best of the available qb's, but I can get behind trading for mallet since I do like him. Trading for mallet would open up options in the draft and possibly allow us to make the team stronger. Especially if mallet can come in and play well immediately.

^^^^
This

Do you believe Mallett has a chance to be better than Bridgewater?

I think he will be better.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #678
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I saw that segment, and Mallett does come off as football savvy.
This one?
Old 03-09-2014   #679
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& we still have the #1 overall pick. We can get any QB in this draft.

I want the Mallet deal to go down, I don't have a problem with giving up 33, but I don't believe New England has all the leverage. We don't have to have Mallet.
So do I, and not so much because I want us to draft Clowney with our 1.1, which I do because I think he's a great talent, but I just don't want to use our 1.1 on one of these QBs when a Mallet would be as good or better and we could also have a stud edge-rusher or OT like perhaps Auburn's Robinson.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #680
Lucky

Quote:
Yes. The whiteboard session starts at 2:37.

Of course if John Daly is a good buddy of yours, that may be a red flag.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read