Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2014   #621
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Bringing over from another thread, Mallett talk heating up...
Patriots QB Ryan Mallett just 'OK' at Arkansas Pro Day
Quote:
ProFootballCentral ‏@PFCentral
(originating from same Boston/New England based site)
Legitimate source finally...

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill
Quote:
On the Ryan Mallett-Houston rumors that are out there … Source says that the interest is real, but nothing is definite.
So the question for me becomes, can the Texans hold out until the draft day 2?

Some teams are very likely to approach the Texans after Day 1 to trade up into the 2-1 slot and grab their guy. Texans could get a later 2nd rounder to use for Mallett plus add maybe a 3rd round pick. Just throwing it against the wall, see what sticks.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #622
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

New England Patriots rumors 2014: Houston Texans have interest in Ryan Mallett
Quote:
The Texans, who hold the first pick in May's draft and are in need of a quarterback, have expressed interest in acquiring Mallett, according to a league source. However, the source also noted that nothing is definite and classified the level of involvement as "talk."

If a deal were struck, the move would reunite Mallett with Houston head coach Bill O'Brien, who worked with the quarterback while serving as New England's offensive coordinator in 2011.

Mallett has thrown four total passes during the regular season. He completed 55.2 percent of his passes for 447 yards with three touchdowns and an interception last preseason.

It has long been believed that the Patriots would like to receive a second-round pick in return for Mallett, though a source previously told MassLive.com that New England turned down such an offer from the Denver Broncos prior to the 2012 season.

Houston holds the 33rd overall pick, which would likely be attractive to the Patriots, but it may prove to be more than the Texans are willing to part with. If they were to trade for Mallett, the Texans would be able to address a position other than quarterback with the first pick.
http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/20...mors_20_1.html
Old 03-08-2014   #623
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

But you'd be trading that second for a player who has only one year remaining on his contract. He'll be a free agent next year. So would your trade be contingent upon working out a successful renegotiation of contract? Or do you just bite the bullet and pay what it takes to resign him next year, taking the chance he may decide to go elsewhere? Or what?
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #624
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
But you'd be trading that second for a player who has only one year remaining on his contract. He'll be a free agent next year. So would your trade be contingent upon working out a successful renegotiation of contract? Or do you just bite the bullet and pay what it takes to resign him next year, taking the chance he may decide to go elsewhere? Or what?
Just like with Schaub and virtually every time such trades are done, it would be contingent on a contract being agreed upon.

I'm curious, do you have any objections to him as a player? Not price or contract.
Old 03-08-2014   #625
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

In 2012, Mallet was 3 years from the end of his contract. The Pats know that if they don't make a trade this year, Mallet is likely to walk next year, thus negotiating a trade to get some value for him may be next to impossible if they don't find a trade partner this offseason.

Also before 2012, his numbers were virtually nonexistent, with initial excitement and hope for potential much higher than after he has accumulated very pedestrian, albeit sparsely opportunistic, stats since.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #626
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've changed my mind on this based on the John Harris interview linked in the other thread, where it concluded: "...The biggest thing as it pertains to a QB is the time it’ll take to pick up the new offensive system. Bill O’Brien absolutely without question does not want to wait for a QB to “get” his system...".

In this regard, Mallet represents 3 years of training camp experience in OB's system. Mallet would still have to win the starting position from Keenum and Yates during training camp, but he represents the "veteran" experience that I've said all along the team should acquire. It seems that this is the player that OB wants, if it's true that we are pursuing the trade. So again I'm good.
Old 03-08-2014   #627
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Texans choice, really. One year for Mallett to prove that he's worth starter money or only as a backup, vs. lock him up and take the chance.
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2014   #628
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

It may not be my first choice, but trading our 2nd rounder for Mallet is a move a I can get behind and be excited about.

It makes sense too if O'Brien isn't completely sold on a QB at 1.1. In my opinion Mallet with 3 years of learning the NFL is worlds better than any QB we will have a shot at getting at #33. So in that sense trading that pick for him instead of getting a rookie QB seems like a smart move.

Also I am a firm believe that many talented QBs bust because they weren't ready for to be a franchise savior QB for their team from day 1. Mallet has had 3 years sitting behind arguably the best coach and QB of all time...that has to count for something.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #629
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans choice, really. One year for Mallett to prove that he's worth starter money or only as a backup, vs. lock him up and take the chance.
Folks seem to be looking at signing him long term as only having a bust risk. It also has a potential reward. He is unproven now. Any contract he signs will be akin to Schaub's - a giant increase for him but still a contract which is far below market for a starter if it works out. Schaub's contract was about 60% of what top third QBs were getting. Also it can be structured to have an easy out after 2 years (Schaub only had $7 mil in guaranteed money).
Old 03-08-2014   #630
Number19
All Pro

I can't see spending a two on Mallet, this year. I've got Tuitt penciled in at 2-33. He's a number one who's slipped a little because of his injury. Him at weakside DE makes Mercilus more effective as the Elephant. Taking Mack at 1-1 allows Reed to move inside. Offering #65 would be acceptable. I've got Smallwood penciled in at that spot, but unless NE were to take a two next year, you have to pay the piper this year and Smallwood would be the price I'd give up. I don't think James will slip to the fifth, he's too good in pass protection, but if he's taken before we draft at #97, I'd maybe go with Skov at that spot.
Old 03-08-2014   #631
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans have interest in Ryan Mallett

Quote:
New England backup quarterback Ryan Mallett is entering the final year of his rookie contract and the Patriots have one last chance to trade the former third-round pick. And this time, it appears the Houston Texans could be a possible suitor, Nick Underhill of Masslive reports.
Full story
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #632
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: Texans have interest in Ryan Mallett

Lots of possibilities to make the compensation equate to more of a middle/later 2nd and not lose our picks total.

My question is more, is Ryan Mallett a guy you'd hire as the CEO of your organization?

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-08-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2014   #633
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm changing my position on Mallet. I wouldn't give up #33 but I'd give up #65.

What changed my mind was the John Harris interview in the other thread, when he said, ..."The biggest thing as it pertains to a QB is the time it’ll take to pick up the new offensive system. Bill O’Brien absolutely without question does not want to wait for a QB to “get” his system...".

Mallet has no game experience, but he knows the system.
Yeah... now I could definitely pull the trigger if they'll take the #65 pick for him.

And, to me, if we take Mallett (at 33 or 65) that says we will NOT pick a QB until about rds 5-7, if then. If O'Brien makes that move - and I think it would be an O'Brien move, not a Rick Smith move - then that's "his guy". So no real need to get a QB from the draft.

To give up my 33rd pick I would need Mallett AND a 4th or 5th rd pick from the Pats. There's so much defensive, O-line, and WR talent in this draft the Pats are effectively getting a first rounder. Yeah, it would have to be Mallett and their 4th for my #33 pick.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #634
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75474 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Not for pick #33. In this years deep draft that is essentially an extra first round pick. First pick in the 3 rd round? Maybe...

You still have to get Mallet to agree to a contract as well since he is a FA next season
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #635
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't see spending a two on Mallet, this year. I've got Tuitt penciled in at 2-33. He's a number one who's slipped a little because of his injury. Him at weakside DE makes Mercilus more effective as the Elephant. Taking Mack at 1-1 allows Reed to move inside. Offering #65 would be acceptable. I've got Smallwood penciled in at that spot, but unless NE were to take a two next year, you have to pay the piper this year and Smallwood would be the price I'd give up. I don't think James will slip to the fifth, he's too good in pass protection, but if he's taken before we draft at #97, I'd maybe go with Skov at that spot.
Tuitt is a promising draft choice. Just a little background. He had a Jones fracture diagnosed through screening scan tests performed at the Combine. If he opts to have it treated conservatively, there is a long recovery (as long as 4-5 months) with a 50% failure or recurrence rate. He will need to undergo surgery to minimize this from being the case (failure down to ~5-10%). Last year, following offseason "sports hernia" surgery, he ballooned his weight from his usual 300 lbs to 320+ lbs. He had hell trying to drop ~25 lbs for the Combine. Now if he undergoes successful surgery, an uncomplicated recovery would be ~8-10 weeks before he would see any return to the field, most likely as a blimp again. It's anyone's guess how long it will take him to get his weight down and then get his conditioning back up.
Old 03-08-2014   #636
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-draft-clowney

Matt Miller substantiating the buzz now. Of course its still just a rumor, but pretending we make a deal for Mallet do you guys think they is a near lock for us to take Clowney at first overall?
Old 03-08-2014   #637
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-draft-clowney

Matt Miller substantiating the buzz now. Of course its still just a rumor, but pretending we make a deal for Mallet do you guys think they is a near lock for us to take Clowney at first overall?
Most likely that's what they're going to do. But I think it would be much better for this team if we take Robinson in the first & Yankey in the second... assuming we trade our 3rd & Tj Yates for Mallet.
Old 03-08-2014   #638
matts290
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Most likely that's what they're going to do. But I think it would be much better for this team if we take Robinson in the first & Yankey in the second... assuming we trade our 3rd & Tj Yates for Mallet.
One thing we know from Mallett's Arkansas days is most of his bad throws came when under heavy pressure. Although I would much prefer Clowney at 1.1 in this potential situation, taking care of our our line needs later, getting the #1 OT in the draft would make some sense towards building a wall around Mallett.
Old 03-08-2014   #639
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lots of possibilities to make the compensation equate to more of a middle/later 2nd and not lose our picks total.

My question is more, is Ryan Mallett a guy you'd hire as the CEO of your organization?

Listening to this interview during college (link below), a box of rocks comes to mind.............hope he's matured since.......a whole bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=folWxFenWSw
Old 03-08-2014   #640
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Listening to this interview during college (link below), a box of rocks comes to mind.............hope he's matured since.......a whole bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=folWxFenWSw
Try this one instead - Gruden QB Camp

The guy was a 1st round talent with off field immaturity issues which haven't recurred in three years.

Quote:
Caplan wrote on Twitter Tuesday night that Mallett is “almost certain” to drop out of the first round of April’s draft, even going so far as to say it “wouldn’t shock (Caplan) to see Mallett fall to the third (round).” Similar to Breer, Caplan cites “baggage, and not the kind you carry” as the main reason for Mallett’s projected draft-day slip.
Link

Quote:
Mallett has the arm strength and size of a franchise NFL quarterback but still needs to continue to develop his accuracy and decision-making consistency. Can drive the ball down field and hit the deep out. When drop mechanics are sound, shows the ability to stick the ball into tiny windows. Has played in pro-style systems and understands reads and progressions but is still prone to taking some risks. Release is natural and over-the-top. Exhibits leadership qualities on the field but front offices will want to further investigate his character and ability to take coaching. Mallett's a really enticing package and will likely come off the board in round one.

Pick Analysis: Bill Belichick is masterful at picking up quality picks in the middle stages of the draft. Mallett is a legitimate first-round talent with the skills to be a star in the league. He has the unique opportunity to develop behind Tom Brady without the pressure of getting on the field immediately. This is an outstanding pick for the Patriots because it gives them tremendous long-term depth and flexibility at the quarterback position.
Link

NFL.com draft prospect grades - Mallett 7.4, Bortles 6.4, Bridgewater 6.3, Manziel 5.9

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read