Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2014   #1
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135670 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Cuts/Potential cuts that might help the Texans 2014

Quote:
Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
Cardinals are releasing veteran K Jay Feely, per source.

I don't know how he's done in Philly, but seems like they had to let him go due to the numbers at TE.

Hearing that the Rams may just not be able to keep Michael Sam from a numbers perspective.

I'd pick him up and let him play special teams and strictly be a pass rush guy. We need an edge rusher opposite Clowney on third Downs...someone to really compete with Merciless. Groves is still here...but more pass rushers the better...

I saw a few intriguing WR's got cut...But I just don't think we are in the market for that position...

Is Winston Justice worth a look?
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #2
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135670 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Cuts/Potential cuts that might help the Texans 2014

Quote:
Eagles Released TE Blake Annen
Might be an interesting guy to give a look. I like our TE situation though.

Blake Annen:
Quote:
The Eagles have a packed house at tight end but that didn't stop them from adding to the position. Cincinnati's Blake Annen could fill a role as a special teams player and backup H-Back.

Pro Day Numbers

*Annen wasn't invited to the Combine.

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 247 lbs.

40: 4.41 seconds

Vertical Jump: 34 inches

Broad Jump: 10 feet

Strengths

Annen is a willing and aggressive blocker. He stays active downfield and will finish blocks. He has RAC skills and understated blazing speed that is impressive for his size. He was used as an inline tight end and in the slot, as well as H-Back. He is good at occupying his man with blocks. He handles contact very well.
Quote:
How He Fits

Annen's speed could make him an asset in a Kelly offense. Annen is young and has athletic ability that is unrivaled on the Eagles roster, which could make him an interesting addition if the team decides to keep four tight ends. James Casey is a quality fullback and special teams player that is making a lot of money, but if Annen plays well in the preseason, the Eagles could decide to move on. Annen will have a tough time making the roster, but a quality performance in training camp could go a long way in making the team or more likely, the practice squad.
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...rookie-profile

Video at link
Old 08-25-2014   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, do we get the first-shot at every player cut/placed on the waiver wire, or do we have to go to the "end of the line" after we exercise our option on the waiver-wire for a player ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #4
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Another Eagle, Joe Kruger

Not sure if he fits here scheme wise, but he's an interesting young player:

Some thought he needed to stay in school another year...Big Guy at 6'6" About 290 lbs now. Saw some Eagle fans were surprised he was cut.

Quote:
Kruger was placed on the Eagles' injured reserve list and missed the entire season. While he wasn't able to officially practice with the team, Kruger was able to take advantage of the time off and work on getting stronger. According to an interview with PE.com, Kruger has added significant weight since last offseason.

"I've gained about 20 pounds, so I'm up to 290 pounds and I'm just ready to play," Kruger explained. "It was definitely frustrating sitting back and watching and wanting to be out there, but I think it was good (to have more time to learn the defense). I was at 269 pounds playing the four technique, so I needed to put on some weight and I did that. I've learned the scheme and I've gotten to know everyone and I just feel a lot more comfortable than I did last year. It was frustrating, but at the same time it's been good, so I'm just excited to get back out there and use this new weight."

So in the end, Kruger did receive that developmental time that many suggested he needed in order to become a better prospect. With the additional weight and the bonus of learning the scheme, Kruger will be an interesting sleeper candidate to watch for the Eagles in training camp and preseason.
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...eper-candidate

From 2013:

Quote:
DE: Joe Kruger, Utah, 6-6, 269, 4.81...Considering that he played alongside Star Lotulelei, it is easy to understand why Kruger hasn't received more attention. Furthermore, he's often been cast off as the younger brother of former Baltimore Raven and new Cleveland Browns' outside linebacker Paul Kruger. A passionate player who possesses a very intriguing skill-set of powerful long arms (34 3/8), surprising get-off and good overall athleticism, Joe, like his older brother, could surprise at the next level. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...rchive/1749704
Old 08-25-2014   #5
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I dunno, do we get the first-shot at every player cut/placed on the waiver wire, or do we have to go to the "end of the line" after we exercise our option on the waiver-wire for a player ?
I think we get first dibs through week 4.
Old 08-25-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more interested in players cut to get to 53 than guys cut for the 75.
Old 08-25-2014   #7
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

I liked Johnny Adams coming out of Michigan State. Has good speed. Spent last season on practice squad. He was cut by the Colts over the weekend.
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2014   #8
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

There have been several inquiries as to exactly how the waiver wire thing works. I found this that will answer all questions.

Then there's always Wiki.
HTH

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
First shot at EVERY player.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #10
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

Hearing that the Rams may just not be able to keep Michael Sam from a numbers perspective.

I'd pick him up and let him play special teams and strictly be a pass rush guy. We need an edge rusher opposite Clowney on third Downs...someone to really compete with Merciless. Groves is still here...but more pass rushers the better...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Why the face palm?

He's an upgrade over Mercilus.
Old 08-25-2014   #12
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Why the face palm?

kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #13
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't offend Kingtexan's Imaginary friend, guys.
Old 08-25-2014   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Why the face palm?

I don't know if he's an upgrade over Mercilus but he's certainly shown that he's better than the 7th round where he was picked.
Old 08-25-2014   #15
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wow ! Now that's worth something. Given that our roster is not too deep to start with, I could see several W-R players making our 53-man roster.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #16
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't know if he's an upgrade over Mercilus but he's certainly shown that he's better than the 7th round where he was picked.
What's Mercilus going to do for us this year?

I hope he steps up and is more than just a ST and pass rush guy (which he hasn't shown much in the pass rush dept)

If Sam plays the same role as Mercilus, at least he shows some pass rush skill.
Old 08-25-2014   #17
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This seems to be up in the air. On the pre-game show the other day they addressed this and they said we only had first choice once, then we went to the end of the line. So, ??? Now, we can choose to not exercize this option and if the player clears waivers we can sign him as a FA and still have our option to use on another selection.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
This seems to be up in the air. On the pre-game show the other day they addressed this and they said we only had first choice once, then we went to the end of the line. So, ??? Now, we can choose to not exercize this option and if the player clears waivers we can sign him as a FA and still have our option to use on another selection.
Did they just change the rules? It's never worked that way before to the best of my knowledge.

The order remains the same throughout the process. There's no "moving to the end of the line." It's basically draft order without trades taken into account. So, for example, the Rams drafted second but they were doing that because of a trade with Washington. It's WASHINGTON that's in second place for Waivers, not the Rams.

Being the worst team last year puts us in a pretty powerful spot this year when it comes to cut players.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #19
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
This hints that you don't have a valid argument. How about not being lazy about supporting your objection?

Value is value. A lot of us don't like the media circus around Sam either, but if the guy can contribute, bring him in.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Jackson Jeffcoat waived by Seattle. Crazy.

Guard Adam Gettis was waived by San Francisco. He was only drafted in 2012.

Then there's Wade Smith. He's probably done.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read