Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-20-2014   #601
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL playoffs 2013-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
It comes down to this. These are entertainers, not role models. Football is an intense, violent sport in which players put everything they have in to it. It is what it is. Deal with it.
With all the absentee fathers, they are role models whether you think they should be or not. Deal with it.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #602
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Man peyton manning ..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
I also didn't have enough cash to replace the transmission in my caddilac. But then I took away it's 24"chrome caps, speakers, and the gold-glitter dice from the mirror and sold it all. Now I have a running car and can drive to work and make more money.
You are fortunate to have had the frivolous add ons and even more fortunate you could get anything for them. To bad football teams don't have that luxury.
Old 01-20-2014   #603
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
~You don't understand. There's always cash and cap space unless you're complaining about the GM. Then it's all HIS fault. Get with the program...~

Quote:
I also didn't have enough cash to replace the transmission in my caddilac. But then I took away it's 24"chrome caps, speakers, and the gold-glitter dice from the mirror and sold it all. Now I have a running car and can drive to work and make more money.
I know what you mean, shoot I would not mind one bit if our Texans would get in cap hell or whatever it took to get Manning if it meant he would have taken us to our first Superbowl.
Old 01-20-2014   #604
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it's just ridiculous that probably the best quarterback of all time is still getting better at 37 years old. an ancient noodle armed statue with neck problems, in his second year on a new team ... destroyed the single season passing records and blasted the patriots in the championship game. love him or hate him, i dont think there ever has been or will be another player that can single handedly carry a franchise like peyton. sure the playoffs are different and require the defense to actually show up, but making the dance every year and on now his 3rd superbowl appearance is pretty dang impressive.

honestly i didnt give him much consideration as a free agent because i thought he was done. the neck injury appeared crippling, especially with the secrecy surrounding his ability to throw. forget about being a quarterback, i was worried he'd have trouble bending over to sign autographs. had he been healthy i have no doubt we would've cut anyone or everyone to get manning onto the team.
Old 01-20-2014   #605
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
it's just ridiculous that probably the best quarterback of all time is still getting better at 37 years old. an ancient noodle armed statue with neck problems, in his second year on a new team ... destroyed the single season passing records and blasted the patriots in the championship game. love him or hate him, i dont think there ever has been or will be another player that can single handedly carry a franchise like peyton. sure the playoffs are different and require the defense to actually show up, but making the dance every year and on now his 3rd superbowl appearance is pretty dang impressive.

honestly i didnt give him much consideration as a free agent because i thought he was done. the neck injury appeared crippling, especially with the secrecy surrounding his ability to throw. forget about being a quarterback, i was worried he'd have trouble bending over to sign autographs. had he been healthy i have no doubt we would've cut anyone or everyone to get manning onto the team.
I'm with you. I didn't think Manning or Luck would survive one, much less two NFL seasons without at least some significant time in rehab.

But honestly, I'm surprised when any player makes two consecutive seasons without going on IR now.
Old 01-20-2014   #606
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

His name is Richard Sherman, let's just call him Dick Sherman.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #607
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I like San Fran even less than Seattle, but everyone knows that the refs gave the Seahawks a giant gift when they failed to call a roughing/personal-foul on the guy who hit the SF punter. Actually that was probably the ball game right there.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2014   #608
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
90 mil. We didnt have that kind of cash
It's not 90 million, it's the first year's caphit, which was 18m. That offseason we extended Foster, Myers and Schaub. Cutting Schaub is a no-brainer in that instance and would have saved about 10 million (June 1st cut rule), and keeping Foster on his Exclusive Free Agent deal would have saved about 7.25m. We could have easily made a reasonable offer to Manning, but from what I heard Kubiak had absolutely no intention of looking at Peyton.
Old 01-20-2014   #609
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It's not 90 million, it's the first year's caphit, which was 18m. That offseason we extended Foster, Myers and Schaub. Cutting Schaub is a no-brainer in that instance and would have saved about 10 million (June 1st cut rule), and keeping Foster on his Exclusive Free Agent deal would have saved about 7.25m. We could have easily made a reasonable offer to Manning, but from what I heard Kubiak had absolutely no intention of looking at Peyton.
Oh wow, well looks like his ego cost him his job. He probably wanted all the credit. Look at Fox on the sidelines as Manning tears defenses apart, he could give zero f's about who gets credit lol.
Old 01-20-2014   #610
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
His name is Richard Sherman, let's just call him Dick Sherman.
So Sherman's a Dick. Makes sense.
Old 01-20-2014   #611
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm old school. Let your play do your talking. Keep your mouth shut.

Let the wannabes on message boards (like me) run their mouths.
Old school or new school depends on the program you were in.

My football "career" was only high school and middle school, but I was taught in a "gamesmanship" style. Borderline cheating and playing dirty. That could include smack talk or cheapshots.

To me that is old school, since a lot of football is coming as close to cheating as you possibly can without getting caught.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #612
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

And Kaepernick look extremely limited as a QB in the game. Great athlete, but his pocket presence was non-existent.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #613
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Bingo. I was concerned about the wisdom of his continuing to play at all and was worried the Texans would would be hamstrung for years if the gigantic gamble didn't pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Oh wow, well looks like his ego cost him his job. He probably wanted all the credit. Look at Fox on the sidelines as Manning tears defenses apart, he could give zero f's about who gets credit lol.
Or just like Scooter says there was a gigantic medical issue. Ignoring that is just looking to badmouth someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Just because something can be made to fit the cap for a year doesn't mean it is long term viable for the team. You are also failing to give any consideration to what if the gamble fails.
Old 01-20-2014   #614
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Old school or new school depends on the program you were in.

My football "career" was only high school and middle school, but I was taught in a "gamesmanship" style. Borderline cheating and playing dirty. That could include smack talk or cheapshots.

To me that is old school, since a lot of football is coming as close to cheating as you possibly can without getting caught.
That's not old school. That's reform school.
Old 01-20-2014   #615
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't have a problem with his post game interview. I did have a problem with Sherman going up to Crabtree slapping his behind and...
And doing the choker sign at him. Classless.

Quote:
And as for Sherman crying about Crabtree talking smack to him...
"I know you are but what am I?"
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #616
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I had no problem whatsoever with Sherman putting Crabs on blast like that b/c I'm pretty sure Crabs was talking all kinds of smack during the game too...Crabs should've just taken his L like a man.

As a WR, you gotta know who he is as a player. He talks smack all game long and you can't feed into that stuff...He's a superior version of Cortland Finnegan. You just got to shut up & let him talk to himself all game.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #617
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Aw hell, the "class" police are back. Lol.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #618
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My 2 cents.

a) I like trash talking. Think it can be funny. But I also think there are two sides to it. You can be a Deion, a Steve Smith or some of these other guys and come across as funny/crazy. Or you can be a Richard Sherman type that comes across as just a lunatic with some serious issues.

b) My issue isn't with some of the talk as much as the action. Sherman chased Crabtree down after the play. Punk move.

c) I was laughing on Twitter last night because defenders of Sherman said he was this 4.0 student and went to Stanford. Wow, I didn't know that people at Stanford were immune from being classless bleeps. There are a-holes at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc, etc. Good schools known for academics don't change your personal skill sets.
Old 01-20-2014   #619
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
c) I was laughing on Twitter last night because defenders of Sherman said he was this 4.0 student and went to Stanford. Wow, I didn't know that people at Stanford were immune from being classless bleeps. There are a-holes at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc, etc. Good schools known for academics don't change your personal skill sets.
Having a high GPA at Stanford isn't the same thing as at other schools. For decades they allowed people to drop classes after the final exam. They moved it back a couple weeks but it is still incredibly generous. So basically you have to work hard to have a bad grade appear on your Stanford transcript.

I am not slagging the education at Stanford. It is excellent. But their grading is not the norm.
Old 01-20-2014   #620
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 16186 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm old school. Let your play do your talking. Keep your mouth shut.

Let the wannabes on message boards (like me) run their mouths.
old school players talked trash too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUOdF1CE3NI
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read