Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2013   #81
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans plan to hire new coach by Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
just saying....
Cleveland? Detroit?

Maybe if you have some sick desire to try and save dumpster fire frachises. Other than money on your contract, I can't see how they would be a better deal than Houston.

Washington?

Dan Snyder as your boss? 'nuff said on that.
Old 12-30-2013   #82
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
Cleveland? Detroit?

Maybe if you have some sick desire to try and save dumpster fire frachises. Other than money on your contract, I can't see how they would be a better deal than Houston.

Washington?

Correct. The Texans have one of the best "set up" jobs sports has ever seen. There is a structure and pieces all set up for the next coach. Yes, we have a lot of work to do, but, things are set up very nicely for a new coach coming in.

Detroit has talent, but, I think our front office trumps theirs.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #83
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
Cleveland? Detroit?

Washington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Correct. The Texans have one of the best "set up" jobs sports has ever seen. There is a structure and pieces all set up for the next coach. Yes, we have a lot of work to do, but, things are set up very nicely for a new coach coming in.

Detroit has talent, but, I think our front office trumps theirs.
20 hours a go, I said there would be 4-5 additional NFL HC openings, as of 8AM there are now 3.

Detroit? If they also fire Mayhew full control of the roster is possible and what HC wouldn't want to start out with Stafford, Megatron, the front four that includes Suh and Fairley.

Washington? A HC gets RGIII and possible control

Houston? A HC gets Schaub, Keenum, no RBs, no TEs, no DL, no LBs, poor OL, poor secondary - Oh and they get to answer to Rick Smith...y'all keep fooling yourselves. What flavor is the Kool Aid today? Has this been nuff said?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #84
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
20 hours a go, I said there would be 4-5 additional NFL HC openings, as of 8AM there are now 3.

Detroit? If they also fire Mayhew full control of the roster is possible and what HC wouldn't want to start out with Stafford, Megatron, the front four that includes Suh and Fairley.

Houston? A HC gets Schaub, Keenum, no RBs, no TEs, no DL, no LBs, poor OL, poor secondary - Oh and they get to answer to Rick Smith...y'all keep fooling yourselves. What flavor is the Kool Aid today? Has this been nuff said?
You can tell your argument is no good when you have to resort to dishonesty to support it. That's usually when it's best to just not make it. FWIW.
Old 12-30-2013   #85
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

What defensive scheme does O'B run?

Let's say O'B lands the gig. Will we have to endure defenses similar to the 1st couple years of Kubiaks tenure before landing a legit DC.

To me, this is almost as important as finding the new HC. I want a bad ass defense.
Old 12-30-2013   #86
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 10980 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

The FO wanted to interview Whisenhunt, but IIRC they will have to wait until next week at the earliest now that SD is in the playoffs. Any indication that we'll wait?

Fitzpatrick is legit.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #87
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

"O'Brien is represented by an agent who is very tedious in how he works" -- Mortensen.

Only red flag I'm getting on BO'B is he does appear to be prone to losing his temper.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2013   #88
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91029 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Let's say O'B lands the gig. Will we have to endure defenses similar to the 1st couple years of Kubiaks tenure before landing a legit DC.

To me, this is almost as important as finding the new HC. I want a bad ass defense.
I don't think he's married to any defensive scheme. All of his coaching experience is on the offensive side of the ball.

I think Rick and O'Brien should work together to build the new staff. Rick can choose who is interviewed, they both sit in on the interview, and then Bill makes the final call.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #89
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
You can tell your argument is no good when you have to resort to dishonesty to support it. That's usually when it's best to just not make it. FWIW.
Keep drinking the Kool Aid
Old 12-30-2013   #90
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'll be glad when they hire whomever as head coach. Then the process of filling his coaching staff can begin, which can be just as interesting as the HC himself.
Yeah... I want to see who the coordinators will be. Haven't we had enough of a HC trying to call plays and do the head coaching thing. I want a head coach to manage the clock, implement his game plan, use that challenge flag the right way, and make all those other crucial, strategic decisions on Sundays and let his coordinators make defensive and offensive play calls.

We've had quite enough of one guy trying to do two jobs; i.e., HC and offensive coordinator (kubiak) or defensive coordinator (Dom Capers).
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #91
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You must be a football savant to have called coaches being fired after the season ended. Dazzle us more with your cunning insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #92
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
You must be a football savant to have called coaches being fired after the season ended. Dazzle us more with your cunning insight.
You're probably one of those who live in the dark and don't think anything really happens before someone is fired. My original comment was that teams were doing back channel recon long before they fire their HC. Low and behold the word is now out that is exactly what the Texans did and we're now finding out that Minn and Wash may have been doing exactly the same thing. Who would've have thought it? Not you.....but you're very good at taking comments out of context.
Old 12-30-2013   #93
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hold up everyone. Nostrafreakinobvious is taking a bow.

Quote:
He doesn't like describing any particular scheme. He wants multiple fronts called to counter the anticipated O.
Old 12-30-2013   #94
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

He doesn't like describing any particular scheme. He wants multiple fronts called to counter the anticipated O.
So it'd be similar to what the Pats do? I believe they run an inbred 4-3/3-4 type defensive front.
Old 12-30-2013   #95
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thank you, thank you very much. 3 years ago I said Bob needed to dump Kubiak for Jim Harbaugh, 2 years ago I said Bob needed to go all in for RGIII to have an answer to Andrew Luck, 2 years ago I said because of the Texans salary mess the Colts would be Div Champs in 2013 and the Texans would return to the days of their first 5 years. Where were you, drinking the Kool Aid and dreaming of your trip to the Super Bowl that I said would not happen because the Great & Talented Texans team couldn't beat a team over .500 with any regularity. Again, Thank You very Much!

Here's one more for you but it doesn't go with your Kool Aid, the Texans will continue to be average & ordinary as long as Rick Smith remains as GM.
Old 12-30-2013   #96
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So it'd be similar to what the Pats do? I believe they run an inbred 4-3/3-4 type defensive front.
Concept wise, yes on both sides of the ball at least from what he says. The opposite of building a system and enforcing it on every opponent - look at every opponent and attack their weaknesses. Either can work. This will be different. Hopefully he can carry it off if he is the guy.
Old 12-30-2013   #97
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Concept wise, yes on both sides of the ball at least from what he says. The opposite of building a system and enforcing it on every opponent - look at every opponent and attack their weaknesses. Either can work. This will be different. Hopefully he can carry it off if he is the guy.
That'd be nice. I like Wade, but his defense became obviously predictable. He seemed too stubborn to schematically adjust to what teams were doing to his defenses. The Patriots series from last season was the tell-tale for me.
Old 12-30-2013   #98
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

RGIII?

The same RGIII that lit it up this year?

You beat RGIII the same way you beat Vick, the beat down. They barely can finish a season let alone take teams to Super Bowls.

That's why I don't want a Teddy Bear in here.
Old 12-30-2013   #99
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That'd be nice. I like Wade, but his defense became obviously predictable. He seemed too stubborn to schematically adjust to what teams were doing to his defenses. The Patriots series from last season was the tell-tale for me.
Exactly.
Old 12-30-2013   #100
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290332 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hate to point this out but 3-4 weeks ago, everyone knew there were going to be openings in at least 4-5 places. Everyone knew Fasier, Schaino, and Shanahan were out and that Schwartz was on the hot seat. Chudzinski after a year is a minor surprise.

So... why are you acting like you were the only person in the world who thought there would be a bunch of coaches fired on a day that's called Black Monday because there's always a bunch of coaches fired?

Or do you think you're the only person in the whole world who thought the front offices were looking ahead at who their next coach would be? Do you think that was some huge and amazing insight that was unique to you?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read