Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2013   #1
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston Texans plan to hire new coach by Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl.com
According to Mr. Rapsheet, the Texans planned to interview one more candidate Monday before settling on their future coach.
So, I know this is not official but I've seen a lot of those "rumors" becoming truth to be a little concerned.

I'm not an expert but I thought they would have waited untill after the playoffs in order to interview some coordinators or people that are currently working in other NFL teams.

Is there some upside to choosing the new HC this early?

Source
Old 12-28-2013   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans plan to hire new coach by Tuesday

I would say the upside is you can lock up your #1 choice before another team gets a shot at him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #3
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I would say the upside is you can lock up your #1 choice before another team gets a shot at him.
There you go. O'Brien will be a HOT commodity when the season ends. You want him get him right now.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #4
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8552 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

I would also add it gives you a jump on hiring assistant coaches.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Is there some upside to choosing the new HC this early?
If it's Bill O'Brien I'd say yes.

Quote:
the Texans planned to interview one more candidate Monday
Whisenhunt?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The advantages

1) the ability to lock into your guy versus not having the full range of candidates

2) the new coach should have full ability to pick his staff before his top assistants candidates get hired.

3) Implimentation of his systems as soon as possible.

4) working as long as possible with the GM/scouting department on both NFL free agency and draft preparation.

Big con

Not being able to react if someone unexpected becomes available.
Old 12-28-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill O'Brien, Texans working on deal

By Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter | ESPN

Quote:
Bill O'Brien has emerged as the overwhelming favorite to become the next coach of the Houston Texans, and the two sides are working to get a deal in place within the next week, league sources told ESPN...
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2013   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Solid.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #9
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

In another 48 hours there will likely be another 4-5 NFL HC openings. I am not naive enough to be believe that talks only begin after a coach is fired. I do believe that back channel discussions have been ongoing for almost all teams looking for a new head coach.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #10
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45123 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ok, what about the Defense?

Wonder if Greg Williams would consider coming over from the Tacks?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Solid.
Yeah, he must be as impressive as all reports have painted him to be to truncate the search. I thought the common ground Lovie has with Rick might sway the decision. I'm getting excited over here... in a totally manly, NFL football, Texans fan sort of way.
Old 12-28-2013   #12
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45123 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, he must be as impressive as all reports have painted him to be to truncate the search. I thought the common ground Lovie has with Rick might sway the decision. I'm getting excited over her... in a totally manly, NFL football, Texans fan sort of way.
Yeah I would like the move, but want to see what they do with Smith. He should not have his job on Monday.

Also it leaves the Defense in limbo, since we know Wade is gone.
Old 12-28-2013   #13
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Lovie would be willing to be our D coordinator if Bill O'brien gets hired as our HC
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, he must be as impressive as all reports have painted him to be to truncate the search. I thought the common ground Lovie has with Rick might sway the decision. I'm getting excited over here... in a totally manly, NFL football, Texans fan sort of way.
Me too! Now on to Bridgewater......

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
I wonder if Lovie would be willing to be our D coordinator if Bill O'brien gets hired as our HC
Lovie deserves and will get his own gig, imo.
Old 12-28-2013   #16
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Me too! Now on to Bridgewater......
Nooooooooo! Win tomorrow so he isn't even an option ... please!
Old 12-28-2013   #17
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Nooooooooo! Win tomorrow so he isn't even an option ... please!
The rams aren't gonna take him are they?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #18
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 11677 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
The rams aren't gonna take him are they?
I doubt it. But the rams can always trade down with another qb hungry team.
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Not to pee on anyone's Wheaties here, but...

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Bob McNair on being close to hiring Bill O'Brien: "The process continues. We have other interviews scheduled next week. It isn't over."

ESPN reporting Texans negotiating with Bill O'Brien and could be close to hiring him. He and Lovie Smith have been top candidates.
Old 12-28-2013   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I have said it before and I say it again, O'Brien knows Blake Bortles. O'Brien watched Bortles beat Penn State in State College at Beaver Stadium 34-31 this year.

Blake Bortles vs Penn State (2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JLz-M9E8E
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read