Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-02-2014   #161
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Dude is the next Aaron Curry, I want no part of Clowney at all.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #162
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney wants to put off surgery for Combine

Quote:
South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney insists he does not need surgery to repair bone spurs in his foot.

"Itís not bothering me," Clowney told reporters. "The footís fine. Right now I am just going to go with the flow." Maybe the defensive end is certain he does not need surgery, but apparent hobbling and slowed movements show otherwise. Clowney also added he wants to participate in the Combine. "I just want to come in there and hit the Combine and do stuff nobody has ever done, run a fast 40. Just show out." Jan 2 - 1:55 PM
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #163
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

The main reason Clowney's numbers dipped in 2014 is he was almost always double teamed on every passing down. Clowney is the best player in the 2014 NFL Draft.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #164
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The main reason Clowney's numbers dipped in 2014 is he was almost always double teamed on every passing down. Clowney is the best player in the 2014 NFL Draft.
Most talented. Not even close to being the best player. You are stuck in ESPN's past of "hype that became fail."
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #165
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Most talented. Not even close to being the best player. You are stuck in ESPN's past of "hype that became fail."
I have watched over a dozen Clowney games the last 3 years and I watch very little ESPN w/ exception of their actual sporting events. I stand by post regardless of where you think I'm stuck.
Old 01-02-2014   #166
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have watched over a dozen Clowney games the last 3 years and I watch very little ESPN w/ exception of their actual sporting events. I stand by post regardless of where you think I'm stuck.
You don't stand alone. Obviously it's hard to tell how this kid will mature, but there is no question in my mind that Clowney at his best is worthy of 1.1 However as a 3-4, I'm not sure I see that fit. If Clowney was to be the Texans pick, I'm anticipating a switch back to 4-3. So, to the OP's question Clowney, then what question, I would want a DT(Hageman?) with the next pick.

Then....an OT is a must!
Old 01-02-2014   #167
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
So, to the OP's question Clowney, then what question, I would want a DT(Hageman?) with the next pick.

Then....an OT is a must!
Really? When I started the thread, I figured the main reason against Clowney was that we needed a QB. So the Question was really "if we take Clowney, how do we address the QB position?"

You've used our three top picks & no QB.

Surely you plan to address the QB position in some way. McCown? Hoyer? Mallet? Keenum?
Old 01-02-2014   #168
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Really? When I started the thread, I figured the main reason against Clowney was that we needed a QB. So the Question was really "if we take Clowney, how do we address the QB position?"

Surely you plan to address the QB position in some way. McCown? Hoyer? Mallet? Keenum?
I'm not afraid to go with Keenum. But i think we can still get a decent QB in the fourth since there are only 6 teams, including us, looking for a Starting QB.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #169
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Going into the season w Keenum or Schaub as QB1 would terrify the hell out of me. I don't want a repeat of Gary/Carr situation w O'Brien. If QB isn't the #1 pick it sure as hell needs to be our next pick or some trade needs to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #170
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
You don't stand alone. Obviously it's hard to tell how this kid will mature, but there is no question in my mind that Clowney at his best is worthy of 1.1 However as a 3-4, I'm not sure I see that fit. If Clowney was to be the Texans pick, I'm anticipating a switch back to 4-3. So, to the OP's question Clowney, then what question, I would want a DT(Hageman?) with the next pick.

Then....an OT is a must!
Hageman? Hageman? Did you say Hageman? I watched his bowl game, he looks like an OT, he plays like an OT and he's a DT.
Old 01-02-2014   #171
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I personally feel that we address the QB problem through the O-Line. I don't know what to expect out of Williams or Queesenberry return to improve things. Depending on how one would answer that, I'd be willing to change my opinion on drafting another with a 3rd.

Bottom line, I don't think our QB's are as bad as we think.
Old 01-02-2014   #172
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Who needs a QB?? We have Schaub, Yates and Keenum! We don't need to fill that position. More pass rushers and tackles and we are basically in the super bowl! Book your ticket today.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #173
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney is a freak.

If I had Rex Ryan as a DC and Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez as my QB I'd still take Clowney. But you've got to have a guy who can build a fire inside the kid on your staff.

The last "freaks" were Von Miller, then Calvin Johnson for me. Doesn't happen often.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #174
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Clowney is a freak.

If I had Rex Ryan as a DC and Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez as my QB I'd still take Clowney. But you've got to have a guy who can build a fire inside the kid on your staff.

The last "freaks" were Von Miller, then Calvin Johnson for me. Doesn't happen often.
But even rex ryan couldn't do anything with vernon gholston....you either have it or u dont.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #175
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Can Clowney drop into pass coverage? Seems small for a 4-3 DE. I'm really intrigued to compare his combine numbers to Marios.
Old 01-02-2014   #176
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
That's a lie. I can pull game film when he was singled up and did nothing. It wasn't even a slide protection. Whenhe was doubled,he quit.
Old 01-02-2014   #177
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Can Clowney drop into pass coverage? Seems small for a 4-3 DE. I'm really intrigued to compare his combine numbers to Marios.
6'6 270 lbs is good size for a 4-3 DE. Especially with his athleticism.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #178
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
That's a lie. I can pull game film when he was singled up and did nothing. It wasn't even a slide protection. Whenhe was doubled,he quit.
Do it!
Old 01-02-2014   #179
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me Aaron Donald in the first round if we are going to build the DL... I don't care if Todd McShay, Kiper, and company all have him as a 2nd rounder. That guys plays football!

I do not understand the Clowney hype. When was the last time a physical freak who showed inconsistent effort, focus, results was taken high in the 1st round and was not at least a mild disappointment?..

Perhaps he will slide due to concerns and then someone will get a steal. Fine. I would argue that the slide may be the trigger to motivate and focus him. Picking him #1 only reinforces that his approach was fully with merit.
Old 01-02-2014   #180
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Go with Clowney and make sure you have your lawyers retainer up to date and that your bailbondsman is on speed dial.
Tell me more about his arrest record?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read