Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-01-2014   #1581
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Yep because Mario got better every year in college and ended up with 25.5 sacks in three years . He also had a bunch of tackles for a loss and beats Clowney in the vertical and BP easily .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2006&genpos=DE

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2014&genpos=DE
I'm with you, if I were making the pick it would be Robinson. He hasn't even begun to tap his potential. All of those 3rd and short problems are solved with this pick.

Clowney is a better version of Robert Quinn. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1582
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I have not even touched this prospect but maybe it's time? Max Bullough would be an excellent fit inside LB in Crennel defense, he is 6027 265. Good in coverage, instinctual, quick to diagnose & possess natural leadership, leave Mack outside in space as edge rusher.
I'll go out on a limb and say all boards have him top ten; and many, if not most, updated boards have him top 5. A few now have him top 3. He really helped himself at the Senior Bowl, and then followed that with a fine combine. He's jumped ahead of Barr and is now rated the #1 OLB prospect.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1583
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Scout on Clowney: Physical talent overblown http://dlvr.it/52w1pw
Captured a photo of that "scout" giving an interview on Sirius...

couldn't get his face, though.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1584
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What about our collection of olbs ?

Mercilus and Reed...
Mercilus plays the Elephant. Reed moves to ILB. Actually, he has the experience to play inside or outside, but in Crennel's scheme, fits better inside. He would compete to be the starter. But I'd draft either Smallwood or Skov in the third to upgrade the position.
Old 03-01-2014   #1585
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
its gonna be a sad and hilarious moment when the texans pass up on both clowney and manziel.

= forever.
I just don't see the logic in hiring a well respected defensive coordinator and then not installing his defense. There's comments that he'll find ways to utilize the talent by installing a hybrid defense. But why not just hire a different, well respected coach known for his 43, or whatever. If you hire a coach known for his 2-gap 34, you'd expect to move the team to a 2-gap 34 defense. Clowney, as good as he may be, is not a good fit for "our" defense.
Old 03-01-2014   #1586
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

The more we go in circles about red flags with Clowney and the 3 QBs, the more i lean on Greg Robinson as the guy. And i am not an avid believer in taking a guy who'd likely play RT for us at 1-1, usually.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1587
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I just don't see the logic in hiring a well respected defensive coordinator and then not installing his defense. There's comments that he'll find ways to utilize the talent by installing a hybrid defense. But why not just hire a different, well respected coach known for his 43, or whatever. If you hire a coach known for his 2-gap 34, you'd expect to move the team to a 2-gap 34 defense. Clowney, as good as he may be, is not a good fit for "our" defense.
Beware ... that dudes trolling .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2014   #1588
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
its gonna be a sad and hilarious moment when the texans pass up on both clowney and manziel.

= forever.
Bet you said the same thing when we passed on Reggie Bush and Vince Young.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1589
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Beware ... that dudes trolling .
Exactly what does that mean?

I don't have the posts you have, but I've been a regular poster for ten years. I analyze and comment on prospects based on what I think best fit our team's offensive and defensive schemes.

I responded to this post as I did because I don't understand the support for a player who doesn't fit our system, with no explanation, by the poster, how that player would be used in our system.

I frequently have my understanding, and my positions, changed because many on this forum are considerably more knowledgeable than I, and they make convincing arguments. If that is trolling, I see nothing wrong with trolling.
Old 03-01-2014   #1590
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly what does that mean?
It didn't mean YOU were trolling; it meant that Lord Bills is trolling.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1591
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Maybe so, but offenses are changing. Being a QB driven league, does anyone run a true 2 gap any more?
Old 03-01-2014   #1592
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The more we go in circles about red flags with Clowney and the 3 QBs, the more i lean on Greg Robinson as the guy. And i am not an avid believer in taking a guy who'd likely play RT for us at 1-1, usually.
Maybe that would be one of many similarities between us & the Chiefs who just went 11-5.
Old 03-01-2014   #1593
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Maybe that would be one of many similarities between us & the Chiefs who just went 11-5.
My latest on the simulator and the theme ... big and fast .

1. ot greg robinson auburn

33. dt ra’shede hageman minnesota

65 de jackson jeffcoat texas

97 qb zach mettenberger

129 ilb max bullough michigan state

cb phillip gaines rice

193 rb dri archer kent state

Round Dan
Old 03-01-2014   #1594
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duane Brown is not a semi-bust LT playing on a franchise tag who the team is going to allow to walk as a FA instead of re-signing. Not much of a similarity there.
Old 03-01-2014   #1595
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My latest on the simulator and the theme ... big and fast .

65 de jackson jeffcoat texas

97 qb zach mettenberger
1. ot greg robinson auburn

33. dt ra’shede hageman minnesota
129 ilb max bullough michigan state

cb phillip gaines rice

193 rb dri archer kent state
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1596
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& nobody I heard thinks any of these guys will be franchise types that can take us to & win a Super Bowl. None of them are Eli, Ben, Rodgews, maybe Ryan... maybe.
This is your opinion and I respect that, but we should not try to pass off opinion as fact.

On the contrary, I believe the exact opposite. I see 2 QBs in this draft that might be able to take us to a SB (1 I like much more than the other), and I have heard and read many say the same.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1597
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe so, but Jim Harbaugh went to three straight NFC Championship games as a new head coach. Once with Alex Smith, he was on his way to taking them there again the second year when he got hurt.

& nobody I heard thinks any of these guys will be franchise types that can take us to & win a Super Bowl. None of them are Eli, Ben, Rodgews, maybe Ryan... maybe.
And I'm sure if people thought that way about Big Ben, Rodgers, Flacco & Ryan they wouldn't have lasted so long in their respective drafts either.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1598
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Duane Brown is not a semi-bust LT playing on a franchise tag who the team is going to allow to walk as a FA instead of re-signing. Not much of a similarity there.
KC has two 1st rounds picks on the OL along with a 2nd and a 3rd , I haven't checked their center . The 49ers have three 1st round picks on their OL . You overspend to rid a headache if you believe you'll be cured .

Round Dan
Old 03-01-2014   #1599
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i never understood the whole you draft players to fit your system argument.
Then you should try harder.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #1600
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
KC has two 1st rounds picks on the OL along with a 2nd and a 3rd , I haven't checked their center . The 49ers have three 1st round picks on their OL . You overspend to rid a headache if you believe you'll be cured .
Just because some teams do it, by your own admission overspend, doesn't mean it is the only or best approach. Clearly the rest of the league does not believe in overspending on bookend 1st round OTs.

But all that ignores the point you quoted which is the Texans' situation is nothing like KC's when they chose to get another 1st round OT which is what TK asserted.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read