Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-26-2013   #121
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

FWIW....folks in Atlanta are convinced that Dimitroff will pull off another Julio Jones type trade to move up to get Jadevon Clowney.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #122
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I dont have a grudge against Bridgewater. Why is it when I say I dont think Bridgewater will be anything more than a little above avg NFL QB, Just like Manziel who I agree with alot of your analysis I have a grudge against Bridgewater.

I just dont think there's a franchise QB in this draft. Mettenberger/Bortles have the best chance to become franchise QB's. IMHO This doesn't mean I'm right, but I certainly think you can come up with something better than I hold a grudge.

We just disagree on Bridgewater in particular and reaching for a franchise QB in general. I'm a fix the trenches this yr guy and wait until next yr when the 4th best QB will be better than any QB in this draft. IMHO

I'm willing to wait a yr and you want instant gratification. I get that, it's human nature. Some say but we wont have the top pick next yr. I say you can trade up to the 7-10 range because I have the Texans picking in the 12-18 range in the 2015 draft without having to give up an arm and a leg. They could even trade down this yr say to Cleveland at #5 a 2014 3rd and a 2015 1st and have the ammunition to move up in 2015.

They could still draft a great player at 5. The difference is that YOU think Bridgewater is worthy of #1 and I dont. But I do enjoy the back and forth discussion. Just to be clear I dont hold a grudge against Bridgewater. BTW, Winston is my #1 rated QB in the 2015 draft so that angle is invalid.
Perhaps I was too strong in my criticism. You are usually a very level headed poster. You just seem to have a particularly strong opinion on Bridgewater, which I suppose surprises me. Maybe your opinion just stands out to me because most people seem to be on board with him. Just caught off guard that you're so defiantly against him. I also don't think I've seen you post what it is you don't like about him. In any case, I didn't mean to offend you.

I'm not one for instant gratification. I want the best thing for the long term. I'm even on record saying that I don't think we need to come out of this draft with a QB. I just think that if our new staff sees one they like they should take him. It's the most important position and they don't grow on trees.

And we certainly agree on Winston.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #123
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've watched just about every youtube video on this guy in the last 3 weeks. It's hard not to get excited about him. He's a fast twitch guy, with a very good burst. He understands & excels at making a beeline to the ball carrier once he gets a glimpse of where the ball is.
Doesn't matter. Let him be good for someone else if he's gonna be good.

I don't want anyone who takes plays off or has a high potential to do something REALLY dumb to hurt the team or his career.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #124
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Perhaps I was too strong in my criticism. You are usually a very level headed poster. You just seem to have a particularly strong opinion on Bridgewater, which I suppose surprises me. Maybe your opinion just stands out to me because most people seem to be on board with him. Just caught off guard that you're so defiantly against him. I also don't think I've seen you post what it is you don't like about him. In any case, I didn't mean to offend you.

I'm not one for instant gratification. I want the best thing for the long term. I'm even on record saying that I don't think we need to come out of this draft with a QB. I just think that if our new staff sees one they like they should take him. It's the most important position and they don't grow on trees.

And we certainly agree on Winston.
What I dont like about him is I think his talent level is on par with Andy Dalton. Bridgewater will be a good, not great QB. Certainly he's not worthy of 1-1 and if Rick picks him, that pick will reek of desparation.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #125
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
FWIW....folks in Atlanta are convinced that Dimitroff will pull off another Julio Jones type trade to move up to get Jadevon Clowney.
Man I hope ATL makes a move like that. A trade like that would allow the Texans to fill in most of the holes this yr and set the team up for the 2015 drafting of Winston/Petty.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #126
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Man I hope ATL makes a move like that. A trade like that would allow the Texans to fill in most of the holes this yr and set the team up for the 2015 drafting of Winston/Petty.
What team has ever filled all their holes in one year?
You can put name to a roster spot but that doesn't mean squat; ref our QB situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #127
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Source?

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2013   #128
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
While I want Teddy 1.1, if you are going to go Clowney at least have a plan to get a top QB like you do.
This is the heart of the matter. Most people do not think this years QB are elite. There are many second level QBs which are nearly interchangeable and the fifth or sixth one chosen is almost as likely to be the star as the top picks.

You don't use 1-1 on second level prospects if you can get elite level trade offers and still get good at 2-1.

I'd like to point out that DEPTH is the reason this QB class is considered strong. There are only 5 teams with QB at the top of their needs list and far more good QB prospects than this.

A current QB list is:

1. Bridgewater
2. Carr
3. Manziel
4. Bortles
5. McCarron
6. Mettenberger
7. Fales
8. Smith
9. Garoppolo
10. Boyd
11. Murray
12. Miller
13. Morris

There are no shortage of good prospects and which will prove to be best is unknown.

Without a doubt there will be three or four better QB prospects next year, but I hope we won't be picking anywhere near the point they will be on the board.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #129
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Clowney is really showing his lack of maturity here. Dude is on pace to be a top 3 pick and he decides that speeding (and getting caught) on multiple occasions is a good idea? He is no longer on my short list. I like football players with maturity, smarts, and accountability. Not sure that Clowney has any of those.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #130
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I also don't think I've seen you post what it is you don't like about him.
That is my feeling as well. I am not seeing alot of reasoning as to why poster x y or z doesnt like Teddy B. Just that they dont like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
You don't use 1-1 on second level prospects if you can get elite level trade offers and still get good at 2-1.
Sound logic, but moot until you find out if any QB's are "first level" prospects. In addition to discovering any available trade offers.

Quote:
I'd like to point out that DEPTH is the reason this QB class is considered strong. There are only 5 teams with QB at the top of their needs list and far more good QB prospects than this.
Still, I believe every year 1 or 2 QBs rise to the top as the cream of the crop. I want the cream of the crop as a potential franchise QB. Not a nice prospect like several on your list.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #131
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I agree that Clowney is really showing his lack of maturity here. Dude is on pace to be a top 3 pick and he decides that speeding (and getting caught) on multiple occasions is a good idea? He is no longer on my short list. I like football players with maturity, smarts, and accountability. Not sure that Clowney has any of those.
If Atlanta is really hot for Clowney and might leapfrog St Louis for his services, then this might drive St Louis to swap places with Houston and make my dream of picking up their other #1 more likely. Then we could still trade with Cleveland for their 1s so they can get Bridgewater and still be in a position for elite talent at several positions including QB.

1-5, 1-15 and 1-24. Perhaps getting either Manzeil, Matthews or Barr along with the extra first round picks.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #132
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Atlanta is really hot for Clowney and might leapfrog St Louis for his services, then this might drive St Louis to swap places with Houston and make my dream of picking up their other #1 more likely. Then we could still trade with Cleveland for their 1s so they can get Bridgewater and still be in a position for elite talent at several positions including QB.

1-5, 1-15 and 1-24. Perhaps getting either Manzeil, Matthews or Barr along with the extra first round picks.
If Rick Smith is able to pull that series of trades off AND get players who are productive, then he's a lot better at this than I suspect he is.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #133
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Source?
I don't know if there is a source for general Fan sentiment. A friend of mind called to say that the general fan sentiment is for Dimitroff to trade up for Clowney. If you find this unacceptable I guess you could read the Falcon blogs, read the Falcon message boards and listen to Atlanta Sports Talk radio to find out if my friend was lying, exaggerating just a bit or was telling me what he perceived to be the fans popular opinion.

Last edited by Texian; 12-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2013   #134
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
I don't know if there is a source for general Fan sentiment. A friend of mind called to say that the general fan sentiment is for Dimitroff to trade up for Clowney. If you find this unacceptable I guess you could read the Falcon blogs, read the Falcon message boards and listen to Atlanta Sports Talk radio to find out if my friend was lying, exaggerating just a bit or was telling me what he perceived to be the fans popular opinion.
You mean like the bleacher report that you scoff at?

Quote:
Old 12-27-2013   #135
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, this afternoon on SR610 Daniel Jeremiah compared Teddy B., in terms of quality coming into the draft, to Matt Ryan and "a more polished" Ryan Tannehill.
Old 12-27-2013   #136
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
FWIW, this afternoon on SR610 Daniel Jeremiah compared Teddy B., in terms of quality coming into the draft, to Matt Ryan and "a more polished" Ryan Tannehill.
Who is Daniel Jeremiah?
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #137
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I heard that, not sure what to make out of it other than Jeremiah was ill prepared cause normally like his work. Look Teddy is a rhythm QB & if there is one thing Matt Ryan is not, is a rhythm QB. What I mean by that is Ryan is very mechanical in his movements, like his QB coach is in his head reminding him to keep his elbow high & tucked in, look off dbs, keep feet moving & hold finish. Teddy just lets it rip, fluid & without hesitation.

Lets not confuse athletic ability with reading coverage's ala Cam Newton when he came out, so what if it took him a couple years to develop into a complete NFL QB, point is now that he has he may now be considered among the elite in the game, don't we want someone similar? so If I were going to make a comparison between Teddy Bridgewater & somebody else, knowing no two prospects are ever exactly the same, it would be Cam Newton not Matt Ryan.

ps: not shooting the messenger, just DJ for a surprising miss on a layup

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #138
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I heard that, not sure what to make out of it other than Jeremiah was ill prepared cause normally like his work. Look Teddy is a rhythm QB & if there is one thing Matt Ryan is not, is a rhythm QB. What I mean by that is Ryan is very mechanical in his movements, like his QB coach is in his head reminding him to keep his elbow high & tucked in, look off dbs, keep feet moving & hold finish. Teddy just lets it rip, fluid & without hesitation.

Lets not confuse athletic ability with reading coverage's ala Cam Newton when he came out, so what if it took him a couple years to develop into a complete NFL QB, point is now that he has he may now be considered among the elite in the game, don't we want someone similar? so If I were going to make a comparison between Teddy Bridgewater & somebody else, knowing no two prospects are ever exactly the same, it would be Cam Newton not Matt Ryan.

ps: not shooting the messenger, just DJ for a surprising miss on a layup
I think maybe you misunderstood the question. He was asked for a comparison in terms of quality, not in style, physical attributes or mental acuity.
Old 12-27-2013   #139
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Who is Daniel Jeremiah?
Daniel Jeremiah is a former scout for three different NFL teams. Most recently, he was the West Coast scout for the Philadelphia Eagles from 2010 to 2012. He previously worked as a national scout with the Cleveland Browns (2007-08) and a West Coast scout for the Baltimore Ravens (2005-06), after initially joining the team as a personnel assistant from 2003 to 2004. Jeremiah graduated in 2000 from Appalachian State, where he started at quarterback for three seasons.
Old 12-27-2013   #140
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Who is Daniel Jeremiah?
Jeremiah is @movethesticks on twitter and a talking hairdo at NFLN. He is also a former NFL scout. It should be noted that Jeremiah had 3 different scouting jobs with 3 different teams in 6 years. On a personal note if I saw that on resume it would go straight to the trash can. Just like spelling errors on a resume.

Last edited by Texian; 12-27-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read