Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-22-2014   #1261
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Everybody want to know what BOB will do, but then ignores what he has said. We will not run any type of base system, but will instead run variations from all systems. He plans to be flexible based on match-ups. That's music to my ears.

But now we get pontification about whether players meet the specs of a system they assume we will run, directly in conflict with what has been said.

This variability is anticipated on both sides of the ball and on the line. Some Zone Blocking, some power schemes, some variations. We need athletes that can do multiple things from multiple systems.
Everybody runs nickels and dimes in passing situations in the NFL these days, but you've got to have a base-scheme for your defense, and not just for first downs. And your examples there are of course for offensive schemes, but I heard O'Brien make no claim they'd intersperse 3-4 2-gap schemse with 4-3 penetrating gap defenses.
We know what the Patriots used when Crennel was there and what the Chiefs used when he was the DC and then HC there, and I expect Crennel and not O'Brien will be making the basic decision about the defense.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1262
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Everybody want to know what BOB will do, but then ignores what he has said. We will not run any type of base system, but will instead run variations from all systems. He plans to be flexible based on match-ups. That's music to my ears.
That's coach speak for, "I don't even know what I got yet... how you gonna ask me what we're going to run?"

But like everyone else, we generally revert back to what we know, especially when going gets tough.

Granted, New England does mix it up more than most, so we'll see.
Old 02-22-2014   #1263
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Not that I like or dislike clowney,but I think the argument doesn't make sense of where he can play. I've watched enough of him to say,he's either a 4-3 de or olb. He's big and ethletic enough to stand up. He can stand guys up and shed. I don't question what he can do,I question and witnessed the frequency at which he does it.

Unlike a lot of people, I know its very hard to give 100% all the time,that's reality. I agree with bill polian when he said that he didn't pursue and cause fumblesor jarring hits like he could have. I mean that's a plan and a very effective one when teams run away from you. I've watched enough to see teammates pass him on the way to the football. I mean defensive tackles and such passing him in pursuit. Clowney is the kind of athlete coaches love to have as a talent.
Old 02-22-2014   #1264
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Should help us make the right choice...

Jadeveon Clowney: Breer: Clowney 'very close' with HOU staffer

Quote:
South Carolina edge player Jadeveon Clowney was "very close" to current Texans staffer, and former Gamecock strength coach, Craig Fitzgerald during the prospect's freshman year.

This is an interesting development. Obviously Clowney then spent two seasons without Fitzgerald on staff, but the connection can be made, especially with some questioning Clowney's work ethic.

Videos:
Combine: Clowney presser (Part 1)

Combine: Clowney presser (Part 2)

Combine: Clowney presser (Part 3)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1265
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I have two guys who are not QBs on my short list . They are Clowney and Robinson if Clowney is all that and checks out .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1266
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
At 266 lbs I don't think it is much of a stretch.

3-4 DE's under Crennel
310 lbs Seymour
300 lbs Ty Warren
310 lbs Alvin McKinley
320 lbs Orpheus Roye
315 lbs Robaire Smith
320 lbs Shaun Smith
313 lbs Corey Williams
310 lbs Kelly Gregg
316 lbs Glenn Dorsey
290 lbs Ropati Pitotua
295 lbs Tyson Jackson

Nobody even remotely close to Clowney. Now that last pair is only a hair off of JJ and Antonio.
And the OLBs on those defenses were around Clowney's size?
What bothers me is that I've never seen an OLB that didn't have some cover responsibilities - be they a lot or a little, they will have to cover RBs or TEs - I've never heard/seen any one rave about Clowney's cover skills. His raw speed, yes. Cover skills, not so much.
That's where I was going with my question to backwards Possum.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1267
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
And the OLBs on those defenses were around Clowney's size?
What bothers me is that I've never seen an OLB that didn't have some cover responsibilities - be they a lot or a little, they will have to cover RBs or TEs - I've never heard/seen any one rave about Clowney's cover skills. His raw speed, yes. Cover skills, not so much.
That's where I was going with my question to backwards Possum.
I agree with your concern. I don't think he is a good fit for the Texans at all. He looks like he needs to go be the prototype 4-3 DE for some team to me.
Old 02-22-2014   #1268
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with your concern. I don't think he is a good fit for the Texans at all. He looks like he needs to go be the prototype 4-3 DE for some team to me.
I think he could do it if he wanted .

I can't remember where I saw this but if was here sorry .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAO7m1IfoDQ

Round Dan
Old 02-22-2014   #1269
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think he could do it if he wanted .
Do what?
Old 02-22-2014   #1270
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Do what?
Play what Mercilus is suppose to be doing .

Round Dan
Old 02-22-2014   #1271
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Watch the first four plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTkmiBdoBDc
Old 02-22-2014   #1272
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

this guy will be the player mario williams was supposed to be.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1273
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Along with Reggie Bush's, Clowney has the most impressive high school highlight reel I've seen. Freaky.
Old 02-22-2014   #1274
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's the big kid that towers over all the other kids in his age group.
He'd have to be a Reggie White-type or Bruce Smith-type specimen for that differential to translate to the NFL.
Are you seeing a Reggie White or Bruce Smith type guy in Clowney?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1275
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney is my pick. To me, he's the best player in this draft. If we pass on him to take a QB, I'd like Bridgewater from that group. Ideally I'd like Clowney and then whichever QB after; Garoppolo or even McCarron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1276
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Are you seeing a Reggie White or Bruce Smith type guy in Clowney?
Nope. Never predicted a HOF'er out of college. Didn't predict Watt, either.

But he's a special player, and those don't come around very often.
Old 02-22-2014   #1277
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Along with Reggie Bush's, Clowney has the most impressive high school highlight reel I've seen. Freaky.
I've said this here before but Clowney and Adrian Peterson are the two guys I remember who could have gone straight to the NFL after high school.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1278
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I've said this here before but Clowney and Adrian Peterson are the two guys I remember who could have gone straight to the NFL after high school.
In my day it was Earl Campbell , Herschel Walker and Marcus Dupree .

Round Dan
Old 02-22-2014   #1279
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
In my day it was Earl Campbell and Herschel Walker .
I don't doubt it. Didn't get to see either in their prime, unfortunately.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1280
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ideally I'd like Clowney and then whichever QB after; Garoppolo or even McCarron.
I'm wearing y'all down.......

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read