Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-21-2014   #1221
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Clowney is Deacon Jones in a 4-3 D.
Just like Reggie Bush was Gale Sayers.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1222
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I never said that. I said for a guy who will only touch the ball 12-15 times a game Bush is a waste of a #1 draft pick.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1223
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
According to Kiper, Bush was Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders all rolled up into one complete package.

Boy did he miss on that one...

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1224
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never said that. I said for a guy who will only touch the ball 12-15 times a game Bush is a waste of a #1 draft pick.
I don't care what you said about Bush. This isn't about you or your track record. It's the hyperbole you're using.

People hype up players all the time. Tons of people were saying that Reggie Bush was the next Gale Sayers. He wasn't. Now you're saying Clowney will be like Deacon Jones if he gets into a 4-3 team. There have been guys touted as the next Peyton Manning or the next Reggie White or whatever. That's the same old, pre-draft hyperbole that people get into and the odds are, you're just as wrong as the people making those claims for Reggie Bush.
Old 02-21-2014   #1225
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
According to Kiper, Bush was Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders all rolled up into one complete package.

Boy did he miss on that one...
Just like Joey Harrington and David Carr being can't miss prospects who were going to be pro-bowlers.
Old 02-21-2014   #1226
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't care what you said about Bush. This isn't about you or your track record. It's the hyperbole you're using.

People hype up players all the time. Tons of people were saying that Reggie Bush was the next Gale Sayers. He wasn't. Now you're saying Clowney will be like Deacon Jones if he gets into a 4-3 team. There have been guys touted as the next Peyton Manning or the next Reggie White or whatever. That's the same old, pre-draft hyperbole that people get into and the odds are, you're just as wrong as the people making those claims for Reggie Bush.
Apparently you do care or you wouldn't have brought it up or questioned my comparison of Clowney to Deacon. I have never compared another QB to Peyton Manning but I did compare JJ Watt's next contract to have a similar impact to the one Reggie White signed in Green Bay and I did say that Robert Nkemdiche has the potential to become a dominant player like Reggie White was. But I did not EVER say or compare Amobi Okoye as the next Reggie White. I was all in the the Patrick Willis camp. And I am NOT the least bit sorry if my Jadevon Clowney comparison to Deacon Jones comparison offends you. My best advice, if it does, is get over it!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1227
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Texans didn't draft watt to babysit or motivate. NE has a strong lockerroom becuz brady is BB's general.more important is BB can and wil dump guys regardless. Watt nor aj can make clowney pusue the plays away from him. If he were in hot pursuit more, he would've forced fumbles and had more tackles. When he sees jj chasing down ball carriers, does that rub off? I doubt it. That's internal.
Old 02-21-2014   #1228
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Yeah, "the professional" part bothers me a lot. I don't think we've been a successful franchise over a long enough period of time to claim we've got the locker room to be able to handle a #1 draft pick with these sorts of issues. The Patriots? Maybe. The Steelers? Maybe. Us? No.
It's not like he committed multiple murders or raped a woman.
Old 02-21-2014   #1229
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Texans didn't draft watt to babysit or motivate. NE has a strong lockerroom becuz brady is BB's general.more important is BB can and wil dump guys regardless. Watt nor aj can make clowney pusue the plays away from him. If he were in hot pursuit more, he would've forced fumbles and had more tackles. When he sees jj chasing down ball carriers, does that rub off? I doubt it. That's internal.
I don't know so much that Watt needs to be a baby sitter. Cushing & Demeco had a friendly competition thing going & it worked for the benefit of the Texans. Antonio pumps Jj up.

If I were worried at all about Clowney's want to, I'd put an incentive laden contract in front of him (since we've got the #1 pick, we can do that). If he balks..... we move on. I'm willing to negotiate the guarantee, the benchmarks, & the rewards. But if he absolutely won't have anything to do with it.....

Now, that's if the Texans question his work ethic. After they do their vetting & they don't have these concerns, then a reasonable & customary contract will do.
Old 02-21-2014   #1230
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just like Joey Harrington and David Carr being can't miss prospects who were going to be pro-bowlers.
I don't remember a lot of people saying that. They were just considered the best in a weak draft class. Look back at the 2002 draft and you'll find a lot of busts. I think you can look back at that 1st round and say 20 of the 32 players selected either underachieved or were flat out busts.
Old 02-21-2014   #1231
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Best in depth analysis I've read on JdC...

Read. Learn.

The Notebook: Jadeveon Clowney is ready to be molded into a monster

Retired NFL defensive end Stephen White put the South Carolina pass rusher under the microscope. He's got some advice for the Houston Texans: Take Clowney.

Quote:
Conclusion: Take Clowney

Here's the deal, though. If you're the Texans GM, quite frankly, you don't give a **** about any of that.

Or at least you shouldn't.

Why?

Because while this kid may run around a lot of blocks, he makes a hell of a lot of plays doing it.

He doesn't take on pulling guards correctly most of the time, but he damn sure forces a lot of whiffs while making a tackle for loss on counters and power Os. And even though Clowney is still inexplicably raw as a pass rusher after three years in the SEC, he sure does get a lot of friggin' pressure.

The key, in my book at least, is that at outside rushing linebacker in a 3-4, opposing offenses will have to try to block Clowney in space a lot more than they would if he were in a 4-3. The most consistent thing out of all those games is that he looked damn near unblockable in space.

You put him beside J.J. Watt, and SOMEBODY ain't getting double-teamed.

Pick your poison.

Draft him No. 1, and surely somebody on staff or in that locker room can teach him how to do a spin move. And a long arm to a rip. And the correct way to do a swim move.

If the Texans finally give Watt the kind of outside speed rusher beside him that will open things up inside, I have a feeling Clowney will quickly learn how to escape off a block.

(Oh, and if Clowney goes first overall, I'm pretty sure the Texans conditioning staff will make sure he stays in tip-top shape. Heh.)

In many ways, I'm pretty puzzled (and somewhat disappointed) as to how Clowney could have played that much in college and still be this raw technique-wise. It's also because he is still so raw that makes him so attractive as the top overall pick. Unless we find out that Clowney repeatedly refused to learn new things, he should be viewed as a ball of clay just waiting to be molded into an ass-kicking, pass-rushing monster.

If I were Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, I would be in the GM's office every day pounding the table to draft Clowney. The things he could do with a Clowney/Watt combination on third-and-long would keep me up late at night if I were an offensive coordinator in their division. I know they'll have a strong impulse to draft a quarterback with the first pick because of the problems they had there this past season. I get it.

They have a much better chance finding a quarterback somewhere else who will be good enough to take them to the playoffs than they do finding an outside linebacker in free agency who will be the kind of difference-maker that Clowney can be. For that reason, Jadeveon Clowney would be a no-brainer for me if I ran the Texans.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
read the complete analysis: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2...couting-report
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1232
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Read. Learn.

Retired NFL defensive end Stephen White put the South Carolina pass rusher under the microscope. He's got some advice for the Houston Texans: Take Clowney.

read the complete analysis: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2...couting-report

Fantastic writeup! Must spread the rep! Someone please get the man for me!!!!!!!!!
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1233
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not only that, but Bush was a total stud when he came out into the draft his last two seasons. Clowney was a total no show this season for what was expected of him. Every time he had the media exposure he didn't show up.

As for the next Deacon Jones comment…….
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1234
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Read. Learn.

The question I have on Clowney, given that he doesn't have a repertoire of moves, and if moved to the Elephant, how much better would he be that Barr, if he even would be better. Clowney is larger, but Barr is quicker. Clowney would have the advantage when playing from a three point stance.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1235
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't remember a lot of people saying that. They were just considered the best in a weak draft class. Look back at the 2002 draft and you'll find a lot of busts. I think you can look back at that 1st round and say 20 of the 32 players selected either underachieved or were flat out busts.
Kiper said that.
Old 02-22-2014   #1236
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't you degrade the name of David Deacon Jones by attaching Clowney's name to him.

Clowney isn't in the same continent desire-wise compared to the Deacon.

The Deacon brought it every season, every game, every play. Can you say that attitude applies to Clowney?

You take that back!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1237
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24336 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Don't you degrade the name of David Deacon Jones by attaching Clowney's name to him.

Clowney isn't in the same continent desire-wise compared to the Deacon.

The Deacon brought it every season, every game, every play. Can you say that attitude applies to Clowney?

You take that back!
When draft talk turns toward Clowney, I keep thinking of the LA Rams defensive line which included Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson, Lamar Lundy and Rosie Greer.

I'd love to have another fearsome foursome or fearsome fivesome.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1238
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clowney cant hold Deacon Jones jock strap .... he has proven absolutely nothing. Deacon Jones is a HOFer who brought it every play for 14 seasons. Jones coined the phrase "sack the QB" .... and the NFL changed the rules of the game because of him (head slap). Clowney hasn't even been called for a penalty yet ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1239
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
When draft talk turns toward Clowney, I keep thinking of the LA Rams defensive line which included Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson, Lamar Lundy and Rosie Greer.

I'd love to have another fearsome foursome or fearsome fivesome.
Man...who wouldn't?

Look at this pict. Those dudes came, EVERY game, to go to WORK!
Watt is a throwback to this era. Do you think Clowney would fit in with this group?
I'd bet J.J. could.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1240
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jadeveon Clowney 6'5 1/4 266. 34 1/2 inch arms.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read