Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-20-2014   #1201
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 373208 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCtUz...=share&t=11m8s

Huge. Red. Flag.

I missed on the "he has players back in his college locker room that this example will be used to hold them accountable", and that he'll approach recruits with about accountability.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #1202
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCtUz...=share&t=11m8s

Huge. Red. Flag.

I missed on the "he has players back in his college locker room that this example will be used to hold them accountable", and that he'll approach recruits with about accountability.
Not the comments beginning at 15:56 re his bone spurs. As I've posted before, this is a very real possibility explaining last year......whether it is publicly revealed following the Combine medical exam or not.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #1203
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

From Ian Rapoport of NFL Network:
Talked to a few evaluators about what Jadeveon Clowney would be if #Texans drafted him in Romeo’s scheme: SAM linebacker. Is athletic enough
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #1204
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
From Ian Rapoport of NFL Network:
Talked to a few evaluators about what Jadeveon Clowney would be if #Texans drafted him in Romeo’s scheme: SAM linebacker. Is athletic enough
The SAM lb's primary responsibility is in coverage against the TE and RB's and in run support. The SAM will be used to rush the QB on occasion, but not as a primary responsibility. In this capacity, instincts and experience are required to make the correct reads. Clowney does not have this experience. On the other hand, the primary responsibility of the ELEPHANT is to attack the QB. If Clowney were to move to LB, it would be on the weak side.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1205
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
The SAM lb's primary responsibility is in coverage against the TE and RB's and in run support. The SAM will be used to rush the QB on occasion, but not as a primary responsibility. In this capacity, instincts and experience are required to make the correct reads. Clowney does not have this experience. On the other hand, the primary responsibility of the ELEPHANT is to attack the QB. If Clowney were to move to LB, it would be on the weak side.
You would think so. Want no part of Clowney at SLB.

Rather not have him at LB at all.
Old 02-21-2014   #1206
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney would still have his hand in the dirt on passing downs, I'd bet.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1207
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
You would think so. Want no part of Clowney at SLB.

Rather not have him at LB at all.
Clowney's vast talent would be wasted if he's not playing 4-3 DE, preferable on the weak-side just as JJ will be wasted if he's playing a traditional 2-gap 3-4 down lineman role. I'm already anxious about Crennel's antiquated defense coming to Houston, I think keeping Wade would have been better but I understand that the new regime gets to name his own assistants.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2014   #1208
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
On the other hand, the primary responsibility of the ELEPHANT is to attack the QB. If Clowney were to move to LB, it would be on the weak side.
Hence the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
How well does clowney compare to willie mcginist? He WONT be a 3-4 de for crennel.
Old 02-21-2014   #1209
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

OT Justin Britt, Missouri: “Probably Jadeveon Clowney. He’s a lot stronger than he might look, and he looks pretty strong. That 4.4 speed I think you’ll see this weekend — that really plays a role when you’re playing defensive end. When you’re playing tackle and he’s trying to back up, it’s very challenging. Overall, he’s just a very explosive player. He has that God-gifted ability.”
T Taylor Lewan, Michigan: “Jadaveon Clowney, absolutely. That [bowl] game was unreal, having a month to prepare for a guy like that, knowing he was going to be a top five pick in the NFL draft -– just taking the time I had to watch his film, I put myself in an NFL situation. I spent the extra hours at night, which you have to do when this is your job. And I felt like I played one of my best games against him.”
T Michael Schofield, Michigan: “I matched up against Jadeveon Clowney for one series [in the 2013 Outback Bowl]. That was hardest series of my life. … The hype is legit.”
http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/20/2014-nf...est-opponents/
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1210
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm more interested in Clowney's vertical, 3 cone, & bench than I am about his 40. Actually I'd rather see a hundred yard dash than 40 from this guy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014   #1211
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets see what Clowney's box jump max is.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1212
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm more interested in Clowney's vertical, 3 cone, & bench than I am about his 40. Actually I'd rather see a hundred yard dash than 40 from this guy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Clowey is gonna test well because he's that kind of athlete. His 40 will be 4.5 ish,he'll jump 44" probably. His 3 cone and shuttle won't be the fastest,but it will be fast enough. I've never wondered about clowney the athlete,just clowney the professional.
Old 02-21-2014   #1213
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Clowey is gonna test well because he's that kind of athlete. His 40 will be 4.5 ish,he'll jump 44" probably. His 3 cone and shuttle won't be the fastest,but it will be fast enough. I've never wondered about clowney the athlete,just clowney the professional.
This. The combine doesn't change my evaluation of Clowney because I will still have the same questions about him. The interviews won't answer the questions on his work ethic. The only thing that will answer that is showing up to camp and working his tail off once he gets drafted. It's a risk.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1214
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 373208 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jadeveon's Clowney's dog, King Clowney: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=709619802423997

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Quote:
Jadaveon Clowney's flight was delayed coming to Indianapolis today, so he'll be here later than expected, but he didn't miss a flight.

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-21-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1215
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I want to see the explosiveness in comparison to players that have come before him. See what we've got to work with.

I'm not worried about "the professional," that's why we have coaches to shape & mold him. He's nowhere near a finished product. To think so is unrealistic. Questionable character going to the Lions, or to a Gregg Williams coached team, you're probably asking for trouble.

Questionable character going to a Kubia.... uh... the Houston Texans, probably not so much. Especially with Jj Watt, Cushing, & Antonio on the team.
Old 02-21-2014   #1216
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I want to see the explosiveness in comparison to players that have come before him. See what we've got to work with.

I'm not worried about "the professional," that's why we have coaches to shape & mold him. He's nowhere near a finished product. To think so is unrealistic. Questionable character going to the Lions, or to a Gregg Williams coached team, you're probably asking for trouble.

Questionable character going to a Kubia.... uh... the Houston Texans, probably not so much. Especially with Jj Watt, Cushing, & Antonio on the team.
Which is why Sam Montgomery flourished.

Oh.

Wait.

Yeah, "the professional" part bothers me a lot. I don't think we've been a successful franchise over a long enough period of time to claim we've got the locker room to be able to handle a #1 draft pick with these sorts of issues. The Patriots? Maybe. The Steelers? Maybe. Us? No.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1217
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 45112 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Which is why Sam Montgomery flourished.

Oh.

Wait.

Yeah, "the professional" part bothers me a lot. I don't think we've been a successful franchise over a long enough period of time to claim we've got the locker room to be able to handle a #1 draft pick with these sorts of issues. The Patriots? Maybe. The Steelers? Maybe. Us? No.
If we don't have the locker room presence to handle Clowney and his "issues" why even bother drafting anybody. Why even bother showing up on Sunday? Let's just concede a 0-16 season while we're at it.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1218
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
If we don't have the locker room presence to handle Clowney and his "issues" why even bother drafting anybody. Why even bother showing up on Sunday? Let's just concede a 0-16 season while we're at it.
Which is what we did last season.

I think Clowney's issues are really, really bad. I think he's going to have to land in a really special situation not to be an almost Vernon Gholston-like bust. I don't want to waste a pick on a guy who might show up now and then.
Old 02-21-2014   #1219
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney is Deacon Jones in a 4-3 D.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1220
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Clowney is Deacon Jones in a 4-3 D.
Just like Reggie Bush was Gale Sayers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read