Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-14-2014   #1041
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I took Clowney's comment to mean he would run in the 4.4s not break 4.40, i.e. run in the 4.3s.

Numerous issues which have been discussed at length but which you will continue to ignore and then ask this same silly question over again.
If he runs a 4.5 at 274 LBS that would truly amazing to me.

I find it ironic that you were one of MW's biggest supporters but want nothing to do with Clowney.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1042
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Question is, once Clowney "gets paid" and his family is taken care of, now where's his motivation? to play just well enough not to get cut?

Swearinger doesn't seem to think this will be a problem.

If Fitzgerald and the Texans team Dr.'s (God I hope they get this one right) sign off on Clowney, then he should be the pick.
Old 02-14-2014   #1043
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yes it would and I said nothing different. My point was one of clarification. It looks like poor writing to me and if people are anticipating like the writer they will be disappointed.

Quote:
I find it ironic that you were one of MW's biggest supporters but want nothing to do with Clowney.
Well you took the above the wrong way so maybe your perception is skewed.

MW did not come with injury concerns. I have repeatedly stated that would keep me from considering Clowney in the top half of the 1st round which effectively means at all. Love for you to find a post where I have been critical of his play. The closest I have come is to say one gif was a poor selection of highlights and I didn't even criticize him in that play.
Old 02-14-2014   #1044
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Mario's best season was his last. He didn't take plays off so "obviously" & not produce. Just like in the NFL, Mario "took plays off" & produced.

Clowney isn't my favorite prospect in this draft. But because of his size, speed, & what I see on tape I can understand a team falling in love with him. Same as Manziel.
Old 02-14-2014   #1045
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes it would and I said nothing different. My point was one of clarification. It looks like poor writing to me and if people are anticipating like the writer they will be disappointed.

Well you took the above the wrong way so maybe your perception is skewed.

MW did not come with injury concerns. I have repeatedly stated that would keep me from considering Clowney in the top half of the 1st round which effectively means at all. Love for you to find a post where I have been critical of his play. The closest I have come is to say one gif was a poor selection of highlights and I didn't even criticize him in that play.
Agreed

You have never criticized Clowney. In fact out of the draft craziness here you have been one of the most level headed posters. Thanks, I guess that's why you're a moderator. LOL
Old 02-14-2014   #1046
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If Fitzgerald and the Texans team Dr.'s (God I hope they get this one right) sign off on Clowney, then he should be the pick.
With their history of absolute failure in that department .... are you really comfortable with them making that decision ?!?

Just too damn many questions come along with Clowney IMO .... health , motor , lack of tangible production (3 sacks).

Just listen to #80 .... trade the damn pick.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1047
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

What good is a 4.4 40 if you don't have good bend around the edge? Dee Ford gets around protection in a more polished and effortless manner IMO.
Old 02-14-2014   #1048
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
What good is a 4.4 40 if you don't have good bend around the edge? Dee Ford gets around protection in a more polished and effortless manner IMO.
but he can't steamroll a double team in the process

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1049
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
but he can't steamroll a double team in the process
When you look at production .... neither can Clowney. 3 sacks in an entire season speaks volumes.

On one hand , you have measurable that are off the chart.

On the other hand you have -

A lack of production.
Injury concerns.
Character concerns.
Motor concerns.

Can you really make a guy with that many red flags the #1 overall pick ??

Old 02-15-2014   #1050
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Swearinger doesn't seem to think this will be a problem.
I remember just last year we had an influential ex teammate vouching for another guy because of their college days.

In that situation Andre was vouching for Ed Reed to get on the team. Well, Ed basically stole like $8.5 million from the Texans. It's OK though because I think Rick Smith is getting the money back for McNair by stealing it from his truck $50K at a time.

I do hear you though, it's just this is my first thought that came to mind.

Last edited by TexansFTW; 02-15-2014 at 12:48 PM.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #1051
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
With their history of absolute failure in that department .... are you really comfortable with them making that decision ?!?

Just too damn many questions come along with Clowney IMO .... health , motor , lack of tangible production (3 sacks).

Just listen to #80 .... trade the damn pick.
I would be all for trading the pick if the price is right.

I look at his 2012 production/play more than his 2013 play.

This is all a moot point. Manziel is going to be the pick. He's already hob nobing around with Cal/Rick. Manziel is a really smart guy.
Old 02-15-2014   #1052
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would be all for trading the pick if the price is right.

I look at his 2012 production/play more than his 2013 play.

This is all a moot point. Manziel is going to be the pick. He's already hob nobing around with Cal/Rick. Manziel is a really smart guy.
Id much rather gamble on a QB than any other position simply because of the impact a truly elite QB can have upon a franchise. Get it right with a QB and you are in the playoffs for the next decade , get it right with a DE .... and you have a solid defense for the next 5 years. No QB .... No playoffs , no shot at a

Get it wrong with either .... and we do it again next year.

Old 02-15-2014   #1053
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Back in mid December 2013, I posted this.

Quote:
Clowney has been dealing with the bone spur(s) of his foot since high school. He also missed time for this problem last season and this season, he has played lame. We don't know if it is a single spur or multiple spurs....if it is a heel spur or ankle spur. If it is an isolated spur, surgery may cure him. If multiple spurs, as chronic as it has been, it could very well be a reflection of significant arthritic changes. Unfortunately, like usual, we have little information to work with. One thing I can pretty well tell you is that if he has surgery after the season, he won't be at the Combine, and teams will likely have to make a decision on what they've seen so far. He should be ready to go for the 2014 season no matter was his pathology is. His performance will be dictated by the extent of the pathology that required attention. I don't like the fact that this has been a chronic problem already.......in a very young player.........a pass rusher that needs no compromise of any type with his ability to push off.
Now Clowney has announced that he has chosen to forgo surgery, not only before the Combine, but also afterwards (unless his new team tells him to undergo it)

Many foot bone spurs are totally asymptomatic. Ten % of the general population would be found to have foot bone spurs incidentally on MRI and never know it. Only 5% of bone spur problems cannot be handled nonsurgically. It is important to understand that the most common foot bone spurs are heel spurs. These bone spurs are not primary growths, they are secondary outgrowths in inflammatory response to repetitive/overuse/chronic trauma of tendons, ligaments, plantar fascia and/or a reflection of underlying progressive arthritis. Heel bone spurs specifically usually are part of a plantar fasciitis or Achilles tendinitis inflammatory source. The 5% that are even considered for surgical treatment (as in the case of Clowney), suffer from continuous unrelenting pain and/or tenderness. The surgery must not only address the spur itself, but it must be able to successfully address the cause of the bone spur formation (by not only removing the bone spur, but also releasing the plantar fascia, releasing pressure on the small nerves in the area, etc.). If the source(s) are not even addressed or cannot be corrected/controlled, a long-term, potential debility may be in the cards.

I like Clowney. But I question his decision not to have surgery immediately after the close of last season. I have no doubt that if serious recommendation was made for surgical intervention, as it was, that this was very likely a significant contributor to the probable false impression he was "taking off plays throughout last season.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #1054
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Although small bone spurs may be found anywhere in the foot,

the most troublesome are a result of plantar fasciitis

or a result of achilles tendinosis/tendinitis

CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #1055
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...But I question his decision not to have surgery immediately after the close of last season. I have no doubt that if serious recommendation was made for surgical intervention, as it was, that this was very likely a significant contributor to the probable false impression he was "taking off plays throughout last season.
If he has surgery after the draft, how long until he's good to practice/play?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #1056
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Id much rather gamble on a QB than any other position simply because of the impact a truly elite QB can have upon a franchise. Get it right with a QB and you are in the playoffs for the next decade , get it right with a DE .... and you have a solid defense for the next 5 years. No QB .... No playoffs , no shot at a

If there was a QB worth gambling on at 1-1 I would be in agreement with you. I would rather gamble on a Garappolo at 2-1 than any of the top 3 at 1-1. There's not much difference between them. IMHO
Old 02-15-2014   #1057
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Clowney, then we win.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #1058
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How long have the Cowboys been trying to figure out if Romo is the right guy? His numbers are right there with the elite guys. But he hasn't been to anymore play-off games than Matt Schaub.
Old 02-15-2014   #1059
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How long have the Cowboys been trying to figure out if Romo is the right guy? His numbers are right there with the elite guys. But he hasn't been to anymore play-off games than Matt Schaub.
To the contrary, the Cowboys haven't been trying to figure that out at all. They have been very dedicated to him. They just gave him a new contract which essentially means he will retire a Cowboy.

But what was the point you were trying to make?
Old 02-15-2014   #1060
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
If there was a QB worth gambling on at 1-1 I would be in agreement with you. I would rather gamble on a Garappolo at 2-1 than any of the top 3 at 1-1. There's not much difference between them. IMHO
Agreed. Too many QBs will be available at 2-1 to be worried about missing out on Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, & Carr. Those guys will probably be fine QBs in the league for years to come. But so will Murray, so will Metenberger, so will Fales.

Then there are the guys you can/might gamble on... Garropolo, Boyd, Morris, Smith, Shaw, Matthews, Renner, Thomas.

This is a great QB draft in terms of quantity. No elites, but several good quality prospects.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read