Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2014   #1021
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I know this has been briefly discussed, but I think it's mostly been glossed over. I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I'm just going to ask. Sorry if this is an already opened and closed question...

Will Clowney work in RAC's system?

I think JJ Watt and his agent are already a little worried about the hire, I would imagine, when he is getting ready to get paid. DL aren't meant to pile up numbers in RAC's system as much as they are required to occupy space and free up others to pile up numbers.

I know JJ Fight's through Double Team's fine last season, but I don't think Clowney really proved he could like Watt did last year.

The main function under RAC's system is for DL to tie up blockers so the LB's and Safeties make the plays at the throat (QB/RB/Ball Carrier). I guess I get moving Clowney to OLB maybe, but what do you do with former 1st round pick Merciless? He's effectively worthless. He can't really do anything 'good' except MAYBE pass rush so it's not like you can move him.

Sorry if this is old and already been answered with a LEGIT real answer, not just 'athletic freak can do anything, end of story'. Thanks for the help.
If you want to see how Clowney will be used check out some old Pats/McGinest tape. The Pats had an awesome defense back then.

If Clowney runs a 4.5 or better I would expect him to be the best pure pass rusher on the team. You're right about 1 thing Mercilus is pretty much worthless. You don't keep playing somebody when they aren't very good, regarless if they were a 1st rd pick.

Ask King for his thoughts on the Mercilus pick. He called it at the time of the pick.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #1022
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, I am sure he is the only poor NFL prospect around (not that you know that or you would have supplied it to bolster your argument).

Yes, but more importantly lesser prospect.

You are caught between Scylla and Charybdis and this. Either he was trying and didn't produce or he went with your excuse and put himself above his team for money. There isn't a GM out there who is going to believe the latter and cavalierly dismiss it as you are. He is going to do his damnedest to convince them that is not the case (which will be lying by the way) and someone who believes him will draft him.

I've been giving the kid the benefit of the doubt on motivation due to injuries. You and steelb are talking me into holding motivation against him with this excuse making.

Not the way it works in my area and I would take the case.
Not motivation, just looking out for the welfare of his family. You would do the same? I know I would. If the difference is beteewn being a top 5 pick or possibly getting hurt and falling to a 6th rd pick like his teammate Lattimer.

BTW, Peppers had the same knocks coming out as Clowney.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #1023
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If you want to see how Clowney will be used check out some old Pats/McGinest tape. The Pats had an awesome defense back then.

If Clowney runs a 4.5 or better I would expect him to be the best pure pass rusher on the team. You're right about 1 thing Mercilus is pretty much worthless. You don't keep playing somebody when they aren't very good, regarless if they were a 1st rd pick.

Ask King for his thoughts on the Mercilus pick. He called it at the time of the pick.
You may be right. Something would need to be done with Mercilus. I hated the pick at the time too. I was beating the table for Alshon Jeffery in another lesser forum around town I have since left, but that's neither here nor there.

If what Wolverine said is true that he wants no part of being a 3-4 DE then he has to be an OLB and that means that something needs to be done w/ Mercilus. What is that though? Don't get me wrong, I didn't like the pick (mainly because I wanted something else), but I'm not ready to write him off either.

I respect his talent, but I'm just unsure if he is a fit. I don't honestly see how this will work out. But as we all know, time sorts out almost all of life's mysteries. I assume this will be sorted out in due time as well, namely draft day.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #1024
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BTW, Peppers had the same knocks coming out as Clowney.
Not that you guys are making up.

Peppers had Mario taking plays off knocks. As I said I was willing to overlook that or chalk it up to injury. You guys saying it was a smart decision is what I am condemning if true and that is very different.
Old 02-13-2014   #1025
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

So now Clowney put himself above his teammates and played not to get hurt instead of giving it his all for the team just so he could protect his draft stock?

Sounds like the guy I want on my team. With the #1 pick at that...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #1026
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
So now Clowney put himself above his teammates and played not to get hurt instead of giving it his all for the team just so he could protect his draft stock?

Maybe financially taking care of his family was his number one priority. Maybe. Is that a guy you don't want on your team?
Old 02-13-2014   #1027
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Maybe financially taking care of his family was his number one priority. Maybe. Is that a guy you don't want on your team?
Sounds like we know what his number one priority will be when he's in a contract year...
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2014   #1028
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sounds like we know what his number one priority will be when he's in a contract year...
Same as EVERY other nfl player.
Old 02-13-2014   #1029
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Same as EVERY other nfl player.
I'm not trying to say that no NFL player ever looks out for themselves first. But you're trying to say that Clowney looking out for his draft stock over his team is a positive attribute? I disagree.
Old 02-13-2014   #1030
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We want somebody who would kill their mother for the team....and is a good, solid Christian.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1031
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He all but openly admitted that he was playing not to get hurt. These are his words coming back to haunt him , not he said she said.
That's why despite his ability , I'd be very reluctant to take him in the top 10 much less #1.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1032
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its slightly unfair to predict his motivation in the Pros. If he gets hurt his senior year he has zero in the bank. If he gets hurt in the NFL he has millions in guaranteed money. I dont think its fair to say that because he was worried he would get hurt while at college he played not to get hurt, so he will play not to get hurt in the NFL too.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1033
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I think its slightly unfair to predict his motivation in the Pros. If he gets hurt his senior year he has zero in the bank. If he gets hurt in the NFL he has millions in guaranteed money. I dont think its fair to say that because he was worried he would get hurt while at college he played not to get hurt, so he will play not to get hurt in the NFL too.
In the NFL and in life you are judged moreso by your actions than your words.

If I promise you that I will be there for you, but every time you need me I am nowhere to be found, I am often viewed as the one you can't rely on.

I get every NFL player has to feed all of their families because no one else in the world ever had to, but when I am the man on top I evaluate you by what I've seen you do with my own eyes, not what I hear you tell me you are capable of.

Everyone in this thread for about 50 pages or whatever has said you HAVE to take Clowney because the #1 pick is too dangerous and valuable to take a risk on and so the decision is forced to take Clowney because of talent.

What if I told you my definition of less risky is the guy I KNOW will come early, leave late, and make solid decisions? And for what it's worth also has families that need to be taken care of.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1034
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post

What if I told you my definition of less risky is the guy I KNOW will come early, leave late, and make solid decisions? And for what it's worth also has families that need to be taken care of.
No, no. We don't want Mormon.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1035
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

From PFT.com

Quote:
Texans strength and conditioning coach Craig Fitzgerald worked at South Carolina (before a stint with new Texans coach Bill O’Brien at Penn State), and Swearinger said he thought Fitzgerald knew how to reach Clowney.

“That’s somebody who kept (Clowney) straight,” Swearinger said. “That’s why I think it’d be a huge asset getting Clowney, because Fitzgerald always stayed on Clowney about everything and had him working 100 percent all the time. The work-ethic thing, I don’t think it’d be a problem.”
Old 02-14-2014   #1036
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 50323 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Additional DJ connection noted at the chronic

Quote:
D.J. Swearinger speaks regularly with Jadeveon Clowney. The duo were teammates at South Carolina and could reunite again if the Texans opt for a potential once-in-a-decade defensive end instead of selecting a new starting quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft....

....Texans general manager Rick Smith plans to speak with the second-year safety to ask about Clowney, Swearinger said. If the Texans select the 6-foot-6, 274-pound end — who hopes to break 4.40 in the 40-yard dash at next week’s draft combine in Indianapolis — the sight of 2012 NFL defensive player of the year J.J. Watt paired up with Clowney would be a defensive dream come true for Swearinger.

“Just having them two down on the D-line, it’d be unstoppable,” Swearinger said.

He added: “I’d just be yelling out, ‘Interception. Interception.’ That’s it.”

Swearinger said Clowney has an undeserved bad reputation and is an “unbelievable player.”

During their time with Gamecocks, the Texan said Clowney was a regular fixture in the weight room and did everything that was required of him.

“It’s just another J.J. Watt, but two-tenths (of a second) faster. … He has a heart for the game, he loves the game and you can’t pass that up, if you ask me,” Swearinger said.....
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1037
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52456 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

“It’s just another J.J. Watt, but two-tenths (of a second) faster. ,” Swearinger said....
Another JJ, but even faster. What's not to like here ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1038
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
who hopes to break 4.40 in the 40-yard dash at next week’s draft combine
I took Clowney's comment to mean he would run in the 4.4s not break 4.40, i.e. run in the 4.3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Another JJ, but even faster. What's not to like here ?
Numerous issues which have been discussed at length but which you will continue to ignore and then ask this same silly question over again.
Old 02-14-2014   #1039
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Question is, once Clowney "gets paid" and his family is taken care of, now where's his motivation? to play just well enough not to get cut?

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #1040
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
From PFT.com
MSR... I didn't make the connection.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read