Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-15-2014   #461
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Schaub has a peewee league arm compared to Mettenberger. Mettenberger had a very successful yr under a former NFL OC.
Mettenberger reminds me of Philip Rivers physically. Not to say they are at the same talent level, but they are both big immobile guys with big arms. The Schaub comparison in this draft is McCarron. Been saying it all year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellbtexan View Post
How many yrs has TB/Bortles/JM played under a former NFL OC or in an NFL offense? Did you know that Mettenberger is a very intelligent guy.
Bridgewater played in a pro style offense all 3 years in college. Not sure I would go to the length to call it an NFL offense, because his OC Shawn Watson never coached in the NFL, but it was certainly pro style. Full field reads and progressions, multiple play calls and QB has to get offense in the right one, audibles and adjustments at the line of scrimmage, etc.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #462
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Mettenberger reminds me of Philip Rivers physically. Not to say they are at the same talent level, but they are both big immobile guys with big arms. The Schaub comparison in this draft is McCarron. Been saying it all year.

Bridgewater played in a pro style offense all 3 years in college. Not sure I would go to the length to call it an NFL offense, because his OC Shawn Watson never coached in the NFL, but it was certainly pro style. Full field reads and progressions, multiple play calls and QB has to get offense in the right one, audibles and adjustments at the line of scrimmage, etc.
Pretty cool that we will now see that type of offense at Texas now.
Old 01-15-2014   #463
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Full field reads and progressions, multiple play calls and QB has to get offense in the right one, audibles and adjustments at the line of scrimmage, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Pretty cool that we will now see that type of offense at Texas now.
We had an offense like that under Kubiak ... The QB's just failed to make the right reads & adjustments on far too many occasions.

I'm waiting for "we don't audible" ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #464
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13424 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Don't disrespect schaub like that. Schaub played in college,zach has been avg at best. Take out furman,uab,and kent state and the guy threw 13 tds. He threw 9 tds vs those 3 schools. Oh,did I mention he has 2 wrs that will go in the 1st 40 picks? What about the 3 pick fiesta vs ole miss. I don't know how mettenberger gained so much traction. 64% in college with 2 top 40 nfl wrs? Gimme a break!
I'd make a joke about having to throw out the entirety of Louisville's schedule by comparison, but then I realized it was leebigztx, so I literally don't have to take the post seriously.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #465
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair talking up Clowney

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...-nfl.html?vp=1
Old 01-15-2014   #466
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I'd make a joke about having to throw out the entirety of Louisville's schedule by comparison, but then I realized it was leebigztx, so I literally don't have to take the post seriously.
Maybe you should. Against Florida in 2012, Mettenberg was 11-23 for 148 yds 0td and a pick. We won't even talk about the clemson game from the bowl that yr. Say it again, kent state,furman,and uab 9tds. Vs the sec 13 tds total. Yet he's supposed to be an option? You can sell me on bortles,murray,and boyd if they don't pick TB,can't sell meon mettenburger period. As I said before,this isn't eli or cutler playing with less than sec talent. This dude will have 2 wrs that may get drafted in the 1st rd.
Old 01-15-2014   #467
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair talking up Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Just saw this as well.

Anywho, it shouldn't come as a big surprise. What? with Bob being from South Carolina and a USC alum and all?
Old 01-15-2014   #468
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe you should. Against Florida in 2012, Mettenberg was 11-23 for 148 yds 0td and a pick. We won't even talk about the clemson game from the bowl that yr. Say it again, kent state,furman,and uab 9tds. Vs the sec 13 tds total. Yet he's supposed to be an option? You can sell me on bortles,murray,and boyd if they don't pick TB,can't sell meon mettenburger period. As I said before,this isn't eli or cutler playing with less than sec talent. This dude will have 2 wrs that may get drafted in the 1st rd.

Dude seriously, I'm old, my knees are shyte, I drink entirely too much and I weigh a buck sixty five. Suffice to say TB is NOT an option.
Old 01-15-2014   #469
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
feeble attempt to confuse other teams but really only fooling the masses. look they could trade down one pick @ a time for all I care just long as they draft one of the "big three QB's"
Bortles..... 6'4"

Mettenberger... 6'5" 235

Logan Thomas... 6'6" 260

Old 01-15-2014   #470
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With the Houston Texans hiring of Bill O’Brien much of the talk has been which quarterback O’Brien and the Texans would draft with the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

With Teddy Bridgewater leaving the Louisville Cardinals, UCF’s Blake Bortles entering his name in the draft and the anticipated declaration of former Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, there will be some intriguing candidates for the Texans to choose from.

However, the Texans may not even draft a quarterback according to Gil Brandt who suggests a trade could be a possibility.
The 6-6 Mallett has yet to appear in a regular season for the New England Patriots who drafted him out of Arkansas in the third round in 2011. O’Brien was on the Patriots staff when Mallett was drafted and even though he left for the Penn State job shortly thereafter, he is familiar with the big pocket passer.

Could the Texans trade a second round pick for Mallett and use the top pick on Jadeveon Clowney or trade down to acquire more picks?

Adding a player with pro experience to a veteran team could expedite the Texans rebuilding effort and get back into the postseason.
http://fansided.com/2014/01/06/brand...-ryan-mallett/
All Right, now that's what I'm talking about !
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #471
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This means

A. Your mind is made up, Teddy Bear Love

B. You've never seen Mettenberger play.

Have you gotten to see Brett Smith? Tell me how different he is from Teddy?
Wrong on both accounts.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #472
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Wrong on both accounts.
Really?

Who do you want the Texans to pick as of right now?

The only things Schaub and Mettenberger have in common are

1. The both have run pro offenses
2. They aren't running QB's but Mettenberger can navigate the pocket. Where post injury Schaub couldn't.
3. They're both tall.

Tell me more about how they are alike and different?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #473
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I wouldn't mind it one bit if OB decides to get Mettenberger or McCarron later in the draft.

Mett does remind me of Rivers. McCarron looks more like Flacco or Matt Ryan to me.

What would be great, is if we can get Mettenberger, then pick up Logan Thomas.
Old 01-15-2014   #474
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wouldn't mind it one bit if OB decides to get Mettenberger or McCarron later in the draft.

Mett does remind me of Rivers. McCarron looks more like Flacco or Matt Ryan to me.

What would be great, is if we can get Mettenberger, then pick up Logan Thomas.
Mett reminds me of a less talented, and less fiery, Philip Rivers. McCarron/Flacco makes no sense. Flacco has a cannon. McCarron/Ryan makes more sense, although I still compare McCarron to Schaub because of his nature to check down and avoid any risk altogether. I want nothing to do with McCarron btw, if it wasn't already obvious.

Also, I want no part of Logan Thomas, unless we're moving him back to TE.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #475
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13424 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe you should. Against Florida in 2012, Mettenberg was 11-23 for 148 yds 0td and a pick.
You're right, it's almost as though the only context of that game is Mett's stats; we shouldn't regard anything like freak injuries and what effect they have on a game.

Please don't talk about things you have no idea about. It just makes you look even more inept than your posts about Clowney have already.

EDIT: Hell, basic googling would have told you enough rather than your lazy 'stats only' approach.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #476
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Bortles..... 6'4"

Mettenberger... 6'5" 235

Logan Thomas... 6'6" 260

Jamarcus Russell... 6'6" 265 no, wait make that 309!
Old 01-15-2014   #477
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
You're right, it's almost as though the only context of that game is Mett's stats; we shouldn't regard anything like freak injuries and what effect they have on a game.

Please don't talk about things you have no idea about. It just makes you look even more inept than your posts about Clowney have already.

EDIT: Hell, basic googling would have told you enough rather than your lazy 'stats only' approach.
Yeah,you're right,you're the only poster that had thi far fetched claim about clowney being double and triple teamed when everyone else saw 4 doubles and 2 chips that weren't even chip blocks.

Yeah,basic googling can tell me the stats on mettenberger,but 7 games on a dvr can also tell me the other story about zach. Read and say it aloud. Nfl 1st rd wrs, 13 tds in the sec. Which as great as it is from top to bottom with talent,we see johnny football put up cartoon like numbers against those same vaunted defense. 13 tds in what 10 sec games? Last year,he had 12 tds total and played like crap in the bowl game vs a clemson defense that wasn't that great either. Zach is a bum with a capital B . He looks great getting off the bus,he just isn't a good qb.
Old 01-15-2014   #478
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13608 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah,you're right,you're the only poster that had thi far fetched claim about clowney being double and triple teamed when everyone else saw 4 doubles and 2 chips that weren't even chip blocks.

Yeah,basic googling can tell me the stats on mettenberger,but 7 games on a dvr can also tell me the other story about zach. Read and say it aloud. Nfl 1st rd wrs, 13 tds in the sec. Which as great as it is from top to bottom with talent,we see johnny football put up cartoon like numbers against those same vaunted defense. 13 tds in what 10 sec games? Last year,he had 12 tds total and played like crap in the bowl game vs a clemson defense that wasn't that great either. Zach is a bum with a capital B . He looks great getting off the bus,he just isn't a good qb.
Don't bother with the boy. I stated the obvious (His one good year, ACL tear, and a good team around him). It's one thing to agree to disagree, but he flipped out saying I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and to pretty much F off.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #479
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair talks Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'm well aware of what a buffoon is, look up a bafoon for me
Yall were looking in the wrong dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bafoon

Quote:
The main thing for me is getting a 2015 1st in addition to what they get in this yrs draft.

Draft Brett Smith in the 3rd this yr and if he doesn't look like he will pan out then you have two 1sts to go get your QB in the better 2015 QB draft.
What happens if the Jags get TB and he works out great for them and now we play Luck and TB 2x a year over the next 10 years?

What if our QB sucks (Brett Smith, cause he probably will) and we need to get one in the 1st round next year, but we are picking at #8? I think it's safe to say most of the top 10 picks are QB needy teams. What if there are only 4 1st round QBs next year and we need to trade up? Do you package our #8 pick and (let's say it's a 15) our traded for #15 to move up to the #3 pick?

So now you might get the 3rd best QB, 1 year later, and your divisional opponents got what you needed to get a year ago. You're now 1 year behind the game and Andre Johnson is thinking about hanging it up and not doing this new QB thing again.

People are always so sure of what will be on the horizon tomorrow until the sun rises.

As far as Clowney, then what? I do not want ANY QB in rounds 2 or 3 at that point. I like none of them. Get a journeyman and draft talent with the 2nd pick, not a scumbag QB. I'm down w/ best available TE or BA OLB and move Brooks Reed inside.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #480
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
What's with the Mettenberger love? He looks exactly like Schaub to me.
Thank you! All these SEC fan boys have fallen in love with him though. A lot of QBs look good against A&M too. I like his strong arm, his size, and his poise in the pocket, but poise in the pocket almost means nothing to me anymore with an SEC QB. Not the greatest, but a very solid O Line, Collins probably going in first round next year.

Where are all his game winning TD drives that he HAD to do to win the game? The only time he faced some adversity last year where they needed him in the 4th he tore his ACL and Jennings (his backup) marched down the field and won the game. Never had to throw to a win a game, or when he had to, he lost the game...

All the same praise and love people give him can almost be cut out and put on an AJ McCarron thread 2 months ago, but since he's injured he gets the benefit of the doubt?? If he starts he's gonna get sacked 45+ times his rookie year, get scared, and be a loser until he's replaced in the draft by the next "Zach Met". But, but, he lit up Kent State and UAB in back to back weeks!
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read