Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-14-2014   #441
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This means

A. Your mind is made up, Teddy Bear Love

B. You've never seen Mettenberger play.

Have you gotten to see Brett Smith? Tell me how different he is from Teddy?
One good year. ONE. One hit wonders happen all the time. If we get him in the 3rd, obviously I'll root like hell if he's a Texan. The confidence some of you have about Mett is out there. The LSU OL is almost unfair. Men amongst boys. It won't be the same in the NFL. He is slow. Really slow.

Unless this guy turns out to be the next Brady in delivery speed/ball placement, i have my reservations about a slow, post-ACL QB.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #442
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
The LSU OL is almost unfair. Men amongst boys.
So you haven't watched him, got it.

Quote:
It won't be the same in the NFL. He is slow. Really slow.
You heard it here: pocket-passers have no place in the NFL.

Quote:
Unless this guy turns out to be the next Brady in delivery speed/ball placement, i have my reservations about a slow, post-ACL QB.
He wasn't exactly mobile beforehand, so don't trump up the injury like it would significantly change his style of play.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #443
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm sure JJ and Jadeveon would go down just like this....
JJ: Alright man listen.....I'll wake you at 4:30AM, meet you in the gym at 5:00AM then we'll start...

Jadeveon: 4:30AM...???

JJ: Yeah.

Jadeveon: You must be outside of your mind, 99, if you think I'm gonna...

JJ: Quitter.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #444
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
So you haven't watched him, got it.

You heard it here: pocket-passers have no place in the NFL.

He wasn't exactly mobile beforehand, so don't trump up the injury like it would significantly change his style of play.
I have seen him play. He's made some good throws and improved. Then the ACL took him out. It is what it is. I think I have a pretty good reason to want the top "rated" or "hyped" (which ever you prefer) QB instead of a guy who played good football for one year and then got an ACL. He reminds of the recent Arkansas QBs that had decent years. Tall in the pocket and strong arms can only do so much. Sorry if I'm not vibrant if that's our answer to QB after all the crap I've seen as a Texan fan.
Old 01-14-2014   #445
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqert View Post
who'd of thunk Avon and Opie played HS ball together?
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #446
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have seen him play. He's made some good throws and improved. Then the ACL took him out. It is what it is. I think I have a pretty good reason to want the top "rated" or "hyped" (which ever you prefer) QB instead of a guy who played good football for one year and then got an ACL. He reminds of the recent Arkansas QBs that had decent years. Tall in the pocket and strong arms can only do so much. Sorry if I'm not vibrant if that's our answer to QB after all the crap I've seen as a Texan fan.
I called out your post for attributing his success to his offensive line, which tells me you haven't watched all his games.
Old 01-14-2014   #447
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Quote:
I called out your post for attributing his success to his offensive line, which tells me you haven't watched all his games.
Yep, sure haven't seen every play of Mett's only worthy season. It sure doesn't hurt to have a good one and be surrounded with a borderline NFL talented team. He's a tall, immobile QB who had one good year then tore his ACL. Sorry, doesn't excite me. I get the whole "great value for a later picked QB," but I'm tired of that route. I'm a "Keep it simple, Stupid" guy this year because we'll most likely won't be in this position for a QB for a while. We'll see what happens.
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2014   #448
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Yep, sure haven't seen every play of Mett's only worthy season. It sure doesn't hurt to have a good one and be surrounded with a borderline NFL talented team. He's a tall, immobile QB who had one good year then tore his ACL. Sorry, doesn't excite me. I get the whole "great value for a later picked QB," but I'm tired of that route. I'm a "Keep it simple, Stupid" guy this year because we'll most likely won't be in this position for a QB for a while. We'll see what happens.
What I'm saying is that you don't know what the hell you're talking about, and thus should refrain from doing so. Downplaying Mettenberger for having one good year and then throwing his success at the feet of his team (and especially the Oline, whose play can be best characterized as bipolar this past season) is evidence of ineptitude regarding this discussion.

Please buzz off.
Old 01-14-2014   #449
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Quote:
What I'm saying is that you don't know what the hell you're talking about, and thus should refrain from doing so. Downplaying Mettenberger for having one good year and then throwing his success at the feet of his team (and especially the Oline, whose play can be best characterized as bipolar this past season) is evidence of ineptitude regarding this discussion.

Please buzz off.
Hahaha, what?! You're acting like I denounced your religion. You must be a pleasure to be around. Watch out for this tough guy.
Old 01-14-2014   #450
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Hahaha, what?! You're acting like I denounced your religion. You must be a pleasure to be around. Watch out for this tough guy.
If you continue to pass off half-assed analysis as something competent, I'll continue to call it out as such.
Old 01-14-2014   #451
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting quotes from McNair.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...neywatt-tandem

2014 NFL Draft: Texans' Bob McNair envisions Clowney-Watt tandem

But McNair is also a proud alumnus of the University of South Carolina, and thusly he paid pretty close attention to junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 2 overall prospect eligible for the May draft according to NFLDraftScout.com.

"He's one of these players who's a once-in-every-10 years kind of physical specimen that comes along," McNair said, before comparing Clowney to the team's last No. 1 pick in 2006. "Mario Williams was that way. I think Clowney is actually a better athlete than Mario."

" McNair said. "He's not a J.J. Watt. J.J. didn't have that natural ability. He worked. He developed his. I said, 'J.J., I don't know what will happen, but if we get Clowney, we want you to instill in him the same kind of work habits that you have.' He said, 'If he's in the same room with me, then he'll have them."
Old 01-14-2014   #452
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
"McNair said. "He's not a J.J. Watt. J.J. didn't have that natural ability. He worked. He developed his. I said, 'J.J., I don't know what will happen, but if we get Clowney, we want you to instill in him the same kind of work habits that you have.' He said, 'If he's in the same room with me, then he'll have them."
Before anyone says this is McNair calling out Clowney as lazy, etc., he's actually saying that he thinks Clowney has more natural talent than Watt, though Watt got to where he is by compensating with supreme work ethic, which McNair wants taught to Clowney in the event that he is drafted.
Old 01-14-2014   #453
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before anyone says this is McNair calling out Clowney as lazy, etc., he's actually saying that he thinks Clowney has more natural talent than Watt, though Watt got to where he is by compensating with supreme work ethic, which McNair wants taught to Clowney in the event that he is drafted.
Thanks for the translation from english to ... english.
Old 01-14-2014   #454
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Thanks for the translation from english to ... english.
Old 01-14-2014   #455
qqert
All Pro

Rep Power: 19780 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you continue to pass off half-assed analysis as something competent, I'll continue to call it out as such.
i actually agree with his view on mettenberger.
dont want another schaub-like QB ever again.

i hope i didnt give you an aneurysm..
qqert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #456
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Schaub has a peewee league arm compared to Mettenberger. Mettenberger had a very successful yr under a former NFL OC. How many yrs has TB/Bortles/JM played under a former NFL OC or in an NFL offense? Did you know that Mettenberger is a very intelligent guy.

I'm not advocating that the Texans take Mettenberger but he's hardly a scrub.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #457
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

feeble attempt to confuse other teams but really only fooling the masses. look they could trade down one pick @ a time for all I care just long as they draft one of the "big three QB's"

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #458
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Feel free to list the ways they are similar, then.

Quote:
I don't get angry at the uninformed and/or stupid, just vocal.
Old 01-15-2014   #459
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Schaub has a peewee league arm compared to Mettenberger. Mettenberger had a very successful yr under a former NFL OC. How many yrs has TB/Bortles/JM played under a former NFL OC or in an NFL offense? Did you know that Mettenberger is a very intelligent guy.

I'm not advocating that the Texans take Mettenberger but he's hardly a scrub.
After watching some Mettenberger games (Mississippi St/Texas A&M) this evening I have to admit I see what you like in him. He's definitely got the strongest arm I have seen in this draft.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #460
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
What's with the Mettenberger love? He looks exactly like Schaub to me.

Don't disrespect schaub like that. Schaub played in college,zach has been avg at best. Take out furman,uab,and kent state and the guy threw 13 tds. He threw 9 tds vs those 3 schools. Oh,did I mention he has 2 wrs that will go in the 1st 40 picks? What about the 3 pick fiesta vs ole miss. I don't know how mettenberger gained so much traction. 64% in college with 2 top 40 nfl wrs? Gimme a break!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read