Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-14-2014   #421
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Bob is doing what Bob is supposed to be doing. Shaking it up!
Old 01-14-2014   #422
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 55397 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
No way Cleveland gives up that much for the first overall. I think expecting their 4 and the Colts pick is reasonable, but adding in their #68 an their 2015 1st rounder is expecting way too much in my opinion. Although I do like your first three picks, Manziel-Amaro-Murhpy
Just nit pickin, but I believe SD edges out Cleveland for the 25th pick with a worse record. This would give Cleveland their own 1-4 and Indianapolis' 1-26.

Houston 1-1 3000

Cleveland 1-4 1800
Clev by Ind 1-26 700
Cleveland 2-36 540

This is approximately fair value. A 2015 first round pick would be close to Cleveland's second in 2014. So the suggested trade isn't too far from book. Maybe 200 -300 points above value.

From Houston's point of view, unless QBs go 1, 2, 3 Teddy, Johnny and Blake (not necessarily in that order), then they still get a hot QB along with the extra picks. Even if they do? They get a Clowney, Matthews or Barr (or any other hot pick). Not a bad scenario. I'm still convinced Keenum can start while any QB needing seasoning learns the ropes.

Now if Oakland or Minnesota want Carr badly, another trade down might be worthwhile.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #423
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'd be OK with this. Clowney is a big risk but then I think Bridgewater is one as well (and I understand that not everyone shares that belief) so looking at what's available at the top I'm told RT's aren't an option at 1-1, Bridgewater is not much more "special" than a guy I can get at 2-1 or worst case scenario trading back up into the bottom of the first round.

In that case I go Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1 (hopefully) and consider myself fortunate.
I think Zach Met will be drafted closer to round 3 than the front of round 2. You don't want to overpay for a QB, but then in this situation you'd go and... overpay.

This is my thought anyway, I may be wrong once the combine happens and he shows that.... oh wait... he won't attend that... We will see though, everyone disagrees with me right now, but I don't think he's good.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #424
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Just nit pickin, but I believe SD edges out Cleveland for the 25th pick with a worse record. This would give Cleveland their own 1-4 and Indianapolis' 1-26.

Houston 1-1 3000

Cleveland 1-4 1800
Clev by Ind 1-26 700
Cleveland 2-36 540

This is approximately fair value. A 2015 first round pick would be close to Cleveland's second in 2014. So the suggested trade isn't too far from book. Maybe 200 -300 points above value.

From Houston's point of view, unless QBs go 1, 2, 3 Teddy, Johnny and Blake (not necessarily in that order), then they still get a hot QB along with the extra picks. Even if they do? They get a Clowney, Matthews or Barr (or any other hot pick). Not a bad scenario. I'm still convinced Keenum can start while any QB needing seasoning learns the ropes.

Now if Oakland or Minnesota want Carr badly, another trade down might be worthwhile.
I don't know if we can get all that but if we could then do it all day every day.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #425
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 55397 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
This! I don't understand when people say, I would trade down and take Manziel at four but not at number 1. If he's (or any other player) good enough to take at 4, he's good enough to take at 1.
Because Manziel is worth less than Manziel and another 1st round pick or TB and another first round pick or BB and another first round pick if you think they all have a similar risk. But if everybody agrees with the risk assessment, then no trade will happen.
Old 01-14-2014   #426
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: McNair talks Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Anyone who disagrees with you is a bafoon?

What exactly is a bafoon?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buffoon
Old 01-14-2014   #427
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm well aware of what a buffoon is, look up a bafoon for me
Old 01-14-2014   #428
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I'm well aware of what a buffoon is, look up a bafoon for me
A buffoon who can't spell?
Old 01-14-2014   #429
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqert View Post
clowney & jj watt!
defense wins championships!

I'm sure JJ and Jadeveon would go down just like this....

JJ: Alright man listen.....I'm J.J, you're Jadeveon, I'm in charge of mentoring you so let's just get this over with alright?

Jadeveon: Mentoring?

JJ: Yeah.

Jadeveon: It don't matter what I tell you, you ain't gonna never know nothing about me.

JJ: Hey, hey listen! I ain't babysitting you every day anymore okay!

Jadeveon: Look, what I got to say you don't really wanna hear cuz honesty ain't too high up on your people priority list.

JJ: Honesty? You want honesty? Honestly......I think you're nothing. Nothing but a pure waste of God given talent! You don't listen to nobody man! Not even Romeo or Rick. Shiver push on the line every time, man. You blow right past 'em! Push 'em! Pull 'em! Do something! You can't run over everyone in this league, and every time you do, you leave on of your teammates out to dry....Brian in particular!

Jadeveon: Why should I give a hoot about Brian, huh? Or anybody else out there? You want to talk about a waste, you the captain?

JJ: Right

Jadeveon: Captain's supposed to be the leader, right?

Jadevon: You got a job? You been doing your job?

JJ: I've been doing my job.

Jadeveon: They why don't you tell your white buddies to block for Arian better? 'Cause they have not blocked for him worth a plugged nickel, and you know it! Nobody plays! Your self included! I'm supposed to wear myself out for the team? What team!? No. No, what I'm gonna do is...I'm gonna look out for myself.....and I'm gonna get mine.

JJ: See, man? That's the worst attitude I ever heard.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #430
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because Manziel is worth less than Manziel and another 1st round pick or TB and another first round pick or BB and another first round pick if you think they all have a similar risk. But if everybody agrees with the risk assessment, then no trade will happen.
Bad argument. Who isn't worth less than themselves and a first round pick.
Old 01-14-2014   #431
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Well , given the bust potential of all three .... any of them could be a reach. The driving force here is the demand for the position.
Yep and if you miss your screwed.

I am not comfortable with any of the top QB's

Give me less risk with Mettenberger in the 2nd or Brett Smith/Aaron Murray in the 3rd/4th if they just have to pick a QB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #432
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15379 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Suck a butt, holy man.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #433
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That pick is worth more now than ever before with the rookie scale contracts. That's actually less than what Washington gave up to move up to #2.
Washington gave up 3 first round picks and a second rounder.

With Houston needing a QB in such a bad way , to get them to give up their choice of the three , a team is really going to have to come up with a significant offer .... I would accept nothing short of 4 , 24 & 36 (or something similar if the deal isn't with Cleveland) if I wasn't getting a #1 next year.
The main thing for me is getting a 2015 1st in addition to what they get in this yrs draft.

Draft Brett Smith in the 3rd this yr and if he doesn't look like he will pan out then you have two 1sts to go get your QB in the better 2015 QB draft.
Old 01-14-2014   #434
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

What's with the Mettenberger love? He looks exactly like Schaub to me.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #435
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Played in a pro-style offense in school; spent a lot of snaps under center or from shotgun. Powerful arm with good ball placement and accuracy, and very tall. Here is a scouting report on him from around the LSU vs. aTm game.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #436
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone who disagrees with you is a bafoon?

What exactly is a bafoon?

Quote:
The last time I used that word here .... No one knew its meaning , now all you old *&$@ers are makin me feel old too.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #437
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 10591 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

JJ: Alright man listen.....I'm J.J, you're Jadeveon, I'm in charge of mentoring you so let's just get this over with alright?

Jadeveon: It don't matter what I tell you, you ain't gonna never know nothing about me.

Jadeveon: Look, what I got to say you don't really wanna hear cuz honesty ain't too high up on your people priority list.

JJ: Honesty? You want honesty? Honestly......I think you're nothing. Nothing but a pure waste of God given talent! You don't listen to nobody man! Not even Romeo or Rick. Shiver push on the line every time, man. You blow right past 'em! Push 'em! Pull 'em! Do something! You can't run over everyone in this league, and every time you do, you leave on of your teammates out to dry....Brian in particular!

Jadeveon: Why should I give a hoot about Brian, huh? Or anybody else out there? You want to talk about a waste, you the captain?

Jadeveon: They why don't you tell your white buddies to block for Arian better? 'Cause they have not blocked for him worth a plugged nickel, and you know it! Nobody plays! Your self included! I'm supposed to wear myself out for the team? What team!? No. No, what I'm gonna do is...I'm gonna look out for myself.....and I'm gonna get mine.

excellent work!
i see it all in my mind now..
qqert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #438
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

It's scary how easily this exact conversation could actually take place.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #439
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
This means

A. Your mind is made up, Teddy Bear Love

B. You've never seen Mettenberger play.

Have you gotten to see Brett Smith? Tell me how different he is from Teddy?
Old 01-14-2014   #440
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This means

A. Your mind is made up, Teddy Bear Love

B. You've never seen Mettenberger play.

Have you gotten to see Brett Smith? Tell me how different he is from Teddy?
A lot actually. Very similar to Manziel though.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read