Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-11-2014   #401
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Clowney is everything yet nothing you want as the #1 overall pick.
Most eloquent way to put it.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #402
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair raves about Jadeveon Clowney

Quote:
"He is a remarkable player," McNair said, via the team's website. "He's one of these players that's really a once-in-every-10-years kind of physical specimen that comes along."

Now, that doesn't mean the Texans will draft Clowney; and McNair is a graduate of South Carolina.
"He's not a J.J. Watt," McNair said. "You know, J.J. didn't have that natural ability. He worked. He developed his. And one of the things I said to J.J. I said, 'J.J., I don't know what will happen, but if we get Clowney, we want you to instill in him the same kind of work habits that you have.' He said, 'If he's in the same room with me, then he'll have them.'"
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #403
indiantexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 36 indiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair talks Clowney

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eveon-clowney/

"“He’s one of these players who’s a once-in-every-10 years kind of physical specimen that comes along,” McNair said, via Tania Ganguli of ESPN.com. “Mario Williams was that way. I think Clowney is actually a better athlete than Mario."
indiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #404
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair talks Clowney

Mmm, Texans taking Clowney or, more likely, trying to strum up interest for another team to trade up ahead of the Rams and take him?
Old 01-14-2014   #405
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i want someone to go back through the reports and see how many players each year are "once in a decade/generation/lifetime" players. it's to the point that i have actually become annoyed by the statement.
Old 01-14-2014   #406
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13608 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who believes this is a bafoon. They're putting this out there because they are fishing Clowney to see if anyone wants to trade the farm. My guess is they really like Teddy (maybe JFF, but I doubt Rick gambles his job on him). This looks like they are open to getting multiple picks which could very well let them trade back up and get their QB with something on the side.

Yeah, let's show our hand and have JJ Watt baby sit our 1st pick. Yeah fkn right..
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #407
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob McNair is a South Carolina grad. It makes sense that he is a fan of the guy and has followed him in school.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2014   #408
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Mmm, Texans taking Clowney or, more likely, trying to strum up interest for another team to trade up ahead of the Rams and take him?
You hit the nail on the head Jay!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #409
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Mix of both smoke and interest. More smoke though.
Old 01-14-2014   #410
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
Anyone who believes this is a bafoon. They're putting this out there because they are fishing Clowney to see if anyone wants to trade the farm. My guess is they really like Teddy (maybe JFF, but I doubt Rick gambles his job on him). This looks like they are open to getting multiple picks which could very well let them trade back up and get their QB with something on the side.

Yeah, let's show our hand and have JJ Watt baby sit our 1st pick. Yeah fkn right..
Anyone who disagrees with you is a bafoon?

What exactly is a bafoon?
Old 01-14-2014   #411
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

If we take Clowney, we are clowny. There are much more pressing needs than DE. Although OL may come before QB, the latter is the one harder to fix later in the draft. Take a QB first!
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #412
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

#1 pick worthy but lacks work ethic. Makes sense Bob.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #413
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we were to draft Taj Boyd at 2-1, or Aj McCarren at or Zach Mettenberger would that satisfy our QB need? We'd still be able to take Clowney.
I'd be OK with this. Clowney is a big risk but then I think Bridgewater is one as well (and I understand that not everyone shares that belief) so looking at what's available at the top I'm told RT's aren't an option at 1-1, Bridgewater is not much more "special" than a guy I can get at 2-1 or worst case scenario trading back up into the bottom of the first round.

In that case I go Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1 (hopefully) and consider myself fortunate.
Old 01-14-2014   #414
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13608 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Anyone who disagrees with you is a bafoon?

What exactly is a bafoon?
A dang fool! Haha.

But seriously, I question someone who believes the Texans were to hint who they wanted in January.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #415
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey
Quote:
Rumblings building around Jadeveon Clowney #NFLdraft - much more than speeding, some say off-field and attitude issues could impact his stock
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #416
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
A dang fool! Haha.

But seriously, I question someone who believes the Texans were to hint who they wanted in January.
I agree, I think he was asked a question about a specific player and told the good he saw in that player. He didn't come out of the blue with that on his own. I imagine he will pump up any player he is asked about. I doubt they are putting a lot of thought into the draft at this point in the front office. Scouts are still finalizing their thoughts and reports, the combine hasn't happened. No final decisions on our own pending fa's much less anyone else's.

Bob is just being a gentleman answering questions at this point
Old 01-14-2014   #417
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13424 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Pauline

Quote:
Still early but source beleves if its up to Bill O'Brien expect Blake Bortles/UCF at 1st pick or Zach Mettenberger/LSU at the top of rnd 2
I could see Bortles the first QB taken after a trade down, but not first overall. Clowney->Mett is something I've been mocking to us for awhile now.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #418
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 10591 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Clowney, then what?

clowney & jj watt!
defense wins championships!

Old 01-14-2014   #419
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqert View Post
clowney & jj watt!
defense wins championships!

Bertier: Left side!

Big Ju: Strong Side!

Old 01-14-2014   #420
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32693 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is where I was originally.

However, after some thought, if the Texans believe there is something that separates Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, & Jonny Manziel, or some combination of the three, from Mettenberger, McCarron (who I'm really starting to like), & Boyd, then trading down is not an option.

Those three will be gone within the first 5 picks.

But if you think someone like Met, McCarron, or Boyd can be a franchise QB, then yeah. Trade down.
If we trade down further than 1-6, then I want 2015 first round picks.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read