Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-11-2014   #381
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Given that everyone and their dog expects 2-3 QBs to be taken in the top 5 and 3-4 in the top 10, taking any of them isn't a reach to me.
I can't argue with that logic & wonder why it's taken so long for someone to express it.

However, to admit it as the primary reason to draft whoever, we'll have to admit that said QB is not "worth" the 1-1. Personally, I think it's that honesty that would help the Texans properly develop "said QB"
Old 01-11-2014   #382
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192665 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Given that everyone and their dog expects 2-3 QBs to be taken in the top 5 and 3-4 in the top 10, taking any of them isn't a reach to me.
Well , given the bust potential of all three .... any of them could be a reach. The driving force here is the demand for the position.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #383
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192665 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
No way Cleveland gives up that much for the first overall. I think expecting their 4 and the Colts pick is reasonable, but adding in their #68 an their 2015 1st rounder is expecting way too much in my opinion. Although I do like your first three picks, Manziel-Amaro-Murhpy
That pick is worth more now than ever before with the rookie scale contracts. That's actually less than what Washington gave up to move up to #2.
Washington gave up 3 first round picks and a second rounder.

With Houston needing a QB in such a bad way , to get them to give up their choice of the three , a team is really going to have to come up with a significant offer .... I would accept nothing short of 4 , 24 & 36 (or something similar if the deal isn't with Cleveland) if I wasn't getting a #1 next year.

Old 01-11-2014   #384
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This! I don't understand when people say, I would trade down and take Manziel at four but not at number 1. If he's (or any other player) good enough to take at 4, he's good enough to take at 1.
Old 01-11-2014   #385
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
This! I don't understand when people say, I would trade down and take Manziel at four but not at number 1. If he's (or any other player) good enough to take at 4, he's good enough to take at 1.
I think the logic is that Manziel is a pick we could settle on if awarded additional compensation, but not worth taking if that's all we get.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #386
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Why get him at 1-1 when you could get him at 4 and some picks? That's just straight-up value.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #387
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Why get him at 1-1 when you could get him at 4 and some picks? That's just straight-up value.
If you can that is fine. If you can't then it doesn't make him a reach at 1-1.
Old 01-11-2014   #388
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like the people who are open to trading back to #4 and taking Manziel aren't that high on him.

If you love him you take him #1. Because trading back will net you more picks, but there's no guarantee Manziel is still there for you.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #389
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That pick is worth more now than ever before with the rookie scale contracts. That's actually less than what Washington gave up to move up to #2.
Washington gave up 3 first round picks and a second rounder.
The talent dictates the value. Washington was head over heels for Griffin. That's why they gave up what they did. You would need a team to fall similarly in love with a prospect this year to net that kind of trade. We're #1 and most people on this board want no part of the pick. What makes you think another team feels differently?

Quote:
With Houston needing a QB in such a bad way , to get them to give up their choice of the three , a team is really going to have to come up with a significant offer .... I would accept nothing short of 4 , 24 & 36 (or something similar if the deal isn't with Cleveland) if I wasn't getting a #1 next year.
If a QB needy team like us doesn't like any of the QB's at #1, then why would another team trade up to be in that same position?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #390
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well , given the bust potential of all three .... any of them could be a reach. The driving force here is the demand for the position.
& the talent level in the draft. If there are only 6 elite players, 4 non-elite players will be taken in the top 10. As important as QB is..... plus the aforementioned need....
Old 01-11-2014   #391
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, taking Bridgewater or Manziel in the top 5 is not a reach. Both have been regarded as top prospects for over a year and have reason to be mentioned. I think Bortles would be a reach top 5, but that's because I think his stock has been artificially hyped by media and draftniks because he has the size that TB and JFF lack. That's just my opinion though.

It's all a matter of opinion. Steelb doesn't like the QB's at the top of this draft so, in his opinion, it's a reach to take one.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #392
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

You trade back, not because you expect someone specific to be there, but if you don't CARE who's there when you get there.

If you've got 5 guys with the same general grade, then you can trade back to the 5th spot and be assured that one of your guys will be there for you.

Wouldn't it be funny if we trade back, pick Sammy Watkins, and then use our new draft picks to trade back into the first and draft Tajh Boyd. We'd be re-uniting Tajh with both Sammy and Deandre and adding AJ into the mix. We'd have the strongest corps of WRs in the world and a guy that already has chemistry with two of them. Talk about crazy trading/drafting scenarios.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #393
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You trade back, not because you expect someone specific to be there, but if you don't CARE who's there when you get there.

If you've got 5 guys with the same general grade, then you can trade back to the 5th spot and be assured that one of your guys will be there for you.

Wouldn't it be funny if we trade back, pick Sammy Watkins, and then use our new draft picks to trade back into the first and draft Tajh Boyd. We'd be re-uniting Tajh with both Sammy and Deandre and adding AJ into the mix. We'd have the strongest corps of WRs in the world and a guy that already has chemistry with two of them. Talk about crazy trading/drafting scenarios.
TBH that is a scenario that does hold some appeal.

But you'd still be settling for what appears to be a mediocre QB.
Old 01-11-2014   #394
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I can't imagine a scenario where Boyd isn't available at #33. If we fall in love and just have to have him then we trade up because he's a QB. But at #33 I'm 99% sure he will be sitting there waiting for us.

I like the idea of Boyd with AJ, Watkins, and Hopkins. I waver on whether Boyd could be a franchise QB but with those weapons I wouldn't be against taking a shot.
Old 01-11-2014   #395
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I can't imagine a scenario where Boyd isn't available at #33. If we fall in love and just have to have him then we trade up because he's a QB. But at #33 I'm 99% sure he will be sitting there waiting for us.

I like the idea of Boyd with AJ, Watkins, and Hopkins. I waver on whether Boyd could be a franchise QB but with those weapons I wouldn't be against taking a shot.
So... you see a suitable OT in the third? Or at least within our reach?

I'd be more excited about that lineup than I would TB/Manziel/Bortles.
Old 01-11-2014   #396
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So... you see a suitable OT in the third? Or at least within our reach?

I'd be more excited about that lineup than I would TB/Manziel/Bortles.
There's a chance that Morgan Moses or JuWaun James is there at the top of the third. Both are RTs only.
Old 01-11-2014   #397
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cleveland owner loves Manziel. He would be a fool to give up those valuable picks to stockpile talent on his team. Awesome comments from everyone by the way.
Old 01-11-2014   #398
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
The talent dictates the value. Washington was head over heels for Griffin. That's why they gave up what they did. You would need a team to fall similarly in love with a prospect this year to net that kind of trade. We're #1 and most people on this board want no part of the pick. What makes you think another team feels differently?

If a QB needy team like us doesn't like any of the QB's at #1, then why would another team trade up to be in that same position?
You are right , the majority here , it seems at least to this point would rather trade the 1:1. BUT .... that majority isn't an overwhelming one nor is it anywhere close to everyone .... All it takes is ONE owner or GM to fall in love with one of these prospects and you have the same situation.

If you offer that QB needy team enough compensation ..... and one of the top three prospects who are separated by little ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Cleveland owner loves Manziel. He would be a fool to give up those valuable picks to stockpile talent on his team. Awesome comments from everyone by the way.
There have also been rumblings that McNair likes Johnny Football too ....

Old 01-11-2014   #399
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney is everything yet nothing you want as the #1 overall pick.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #400
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Clowney is everything yet nothing you want as the #1 overall pick.
Scares the crap outa me ..... could be a monster , could be worse than JAG. If I'm making that gamble , its going to be at QB given the current circumstances.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read