Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2014   #341
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I don't disagree with that. He could obviously use Clowney. But Clowney doesn't fit the typical DE or OLB in his system. So instead of taking Clowney #1 and adapting it would seem more likely that we take a guy later that fits what Crennel is looking for.

If Clowney isn't an ideal fit for what Crennel wants to do then I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have him as high on our board as others do.

You don't always necessarily draft guys based on who has the most talent. You draft guys based on who makes the biggest impact on your team. Clowney, like Mario, is a supreme talent but would be replaceable in this system.
If you take the most talented players or if they dont fit yor scheme try to trade down you cant go wrong. Reaching for less talented players to fill needs is a big reason why the Texans are where they are today.

The question for you is if Atl or Oakland offers you a Cleveland type trade to move down, do you take the risk? I would in a heartbeat.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #342
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If you take the most talented players or if they dont fit yor scheme try to trade down you cant go wrong. Reaching for less talented players to fill needs is a big reason why the Texans are where they are today.

The question for you is if Atl or Oakland offers you a Cleveland type trade to move down, do you take the risk? I would in a heartbeat.
Trade down is a big time option for me as long as the offer is worth it.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #343
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Without a Doubt you do it. IMO there are six elite prospects in this draft. If we can trade down and still get one of them it's a BIGTIME win IMO.
Old 01-09-2014   #344
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Trade down is a big time option for me as long as the offer is worth it.
This is where I was originally.

However, after some thought, if the Texans believe there is something that separates Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, & Jonny Manziel, or some combination of the three, from Mettenberger, McCarron (who I'm really starting to like), & Boyd, then trading down is not an option.

Those three will be gone within the first 5 picks.

But if you think someone like Met, McCarron, or Boyd can be a franchise QB, then yeah. Trade down.
Old 01-09-2014   #345
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

IF we go Clowney, then I expect us to run a 4-3 instead of a 3-4. Crennel has run both of them during his career although he's been more of a standard 2-gap 3-4 most recently. If he had Watt and Clowney, both capable of being gap-shooting 4-3 DEs, then I can't see how he wouldn't take both of them and try to maximize their potential.

If the FO determines Clowney is the best talent in the draft AND they're not worried about possible motivation and judgment issues, then that's the way to go.

I'm not convinced about Clowney, yet.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #346
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
IF we go Clowney, then I expect us to run a 4-3 instead of a 3-4. Crennel has run both of them during his career although he's been more of a standard 2-gap 3-4 most recently. If he had Watt and Clowney, both capable of being gap-shooting 4-3 DEs, then I can't see how he wouldn't take both of them and try to maximize their potential.

If the FO determines Clowney is the best talent in the draft AND they're not worried about possible motivation and judgment issues, then that's the way to go.

I'm not convinced about Clowney, yet.
Oh I don't think there's much doubt that he's the best talent in this years Draft, I'm seeing a lot of analysts saying he's the best Dline prospect coming out of college this century (so far). Now there's some relatively minor off field issues, but the big question when it comes to Draft priorities is how badly does your team need a QB and what's your rating of the current batch.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #347
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Oh I don't think there's much doubt that he's the best talent in this years Draft, I'm seeing a lot of analysts saying he's the best Dline prospect coming out of college this century (so far). Now there's some relatively minor off field issues, but the big question when it comes to Draft priorities is how badly does your team need a QB and what's your rating of the current batch.
That's just prisoner of the moment stuff. Suh was a far superior prospect.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2014   #348
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup, typical draft hyperbole. Happens every year. A lot of times they end up not even being the best player in that draft at the position.
Old 01-09-2014   #349
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I meant to say DE and of course Suh is an inside guy. But Suh was very highly rated coming out and oh yea, I too saw him wreck UT in the Big 12 championship game which was one of the top college performances ever by any defensive player.
But back to Clowney, I got to see the Bowl game vs Wisconsin and I thought he was very, very impressive. But since the 90s the only DE name I've heard mentioned as being there with Clowney is Peppers, and most rate Clowney a better prospect.
Old 01-09-2014   #350
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup, typical draft hyperbole. Happens every year. A lot of times they end up not even being the best player in that draft at the position.
Which I'm predicting will be the case between Michigan's Taylor and J. Matthews, who seems to get raving reviews and predictions as a potential franchise LT despite having 2nd rate feet which is what sets
the LTs apart from the RTs more than anything else.
Old 01-09-2014   #351
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Which I'm predicting will be the case between Michigan's Taylor and J. Matthews, who seems to get raving reviews and predictions as a potential franchise LT despite having 2nd rate feet which is what sets
the LTs apart from the RTs more than anything else.
Today I am predicting Greg Robinson will be the first OT drafted.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #352
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you take the most talented players or if they dont fit yor scheme try to trade down you cant go wrong. Reaching for less talented players to fill needs is a big reason why the Texans are where they are today..
Exactly. If there is a franchise LT in this draft, we should take him. If that moves our best OT to the right side of the line.... so be it. It elevates the whole team a lot more than finding a suitable RT.

Same thing for corner back. We've got a lot of money tied up in the position, but we didn't see elite level play from either last season. Take the elite Corner, move Kj to safety or cut Jjo. The whole team is a lot better off.

Instead of looking for a back up for Arian Foster, we should be looking for an inexpensive replacement.

& I love Arian, Duane, & Kj. But we need to get to the next level.
Old 01-09-2014   #353
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Exactly. If there is a franchise LT in this draft, we should take him. If that moves our best OT to the right side of the line.... so be it. It elevates the whole team a lot more than finding a suitable RT.

Same thing for corner back. We've got a lot of money tied up in the position, but we didn't see elite level play from either last season. Take the elite Corner, move Kj to safety or cut Jjo. The whole team is a lot better off.

Instead of looking for a back up for Arian Foster, we should be looking for an inexpensive replacement.

& I love Arian, Duane, & Kj. But we need to get to the next level.
Yeah,JoeThomas all world has been on the team with one of the worse records in football. Remember robert gallery who was taken in front of ben and rivers? Franchise left tackle means nothing. Who are the franchise left tackles playing this week in the afc? Denver set the every offensive record in the nfl and clady was in street clothes all year. Luck,brady,nor rivers have franchise left tackles or rt's for that matter.
Old 01-09-2014   #354
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we end up drafting Clowney then the questions will have been answered satisfactorily by both.

When I postedthe video,everyone for the most part agreed clowney was doubled 2 times or so and chipped 4 times maybe. Most of his action,he wasn't even blocked and set free. Not to mention wide 9 which really stresses your inside backers,remember philly. That's why all thlse double and tripled every play or most of the time were ridiculous accusations. Not only did richardson handle him,the right tackle on the flip,who I don't even know was handling him.

I think he's intriguing and he needs a lot of technique work. Even last year when people were calling him the next whoever after the michigan play,he knifed and made the play. I'm not against instincts,but as a de or olb, you should alwas keep your open side arm free to take blocks and turn everything. If you notice,not just on those clips,he was giving up contain.

If you go look at aldon smith,jj watt,von miller,robert quinn and guys like that,even coming in they were a lot more polished technique wise than clowney. That's not to say he won't or can't learn with good coaching. As I said before,even the mario/julius take plays off are minor compared to clowney. As posted also,its not like he didn't have a lot talent on that defense either.
Old 01-09-2014   #355
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Luck,brady,nor rivers have franchise left tackles or rt's for that matter.
But there's no Luck, Brady, Rivers in this draft. If there were, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 01-09-2014   #356
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But there's no Luck, Brady, Rivers in this draft. If there were, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Total bs! Go back and read what people thought of rivers. In fact, acorsi,the giants gm said if the manning deal fell through,he was prepared to take big ben. There are always premeditated convo about propects. Last yr,all the people said what? Wait till next yr when bridgewater,boyd,murry,and fales come out. People were saying there will be 4 franchise qbs,now people are saying wait till next yr? Same cycle bro. Going into his jr yr,nobody had rg3 as a top qb prospect. Everyone and their mama said if bridgewater was the best qb prospect in cfb last yr as a sophmore.

Point is, don't ride along,do your own research and make your own conclusions. I never thought Joeckel was that good. He was destroyed by margus hunt and corey lemoniore. He reaches and is on the ground a lot. I thought the best lt propect was lane johnson. I can watch enough games to make my own conclusions. The only flag most come up with in regards to bridgewater is his frame. Not his arm,presence,poise, or football iq. How many qbs come out with so few questions and are not franchise qbs?
Old 01-09-2014   #357
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Total bs! Go back and read what people thought of rivers. In fact, acorsi,the giants gm said if the manning deal fell through,he was prepared to take big ben. There are always premeditated convo about propects. Last yr,all the people said what? Wait till next yr when bridgewater,boyd,murry,and fales come out. People were saying there will be 4 franchise qbs,now people are saying wait till next yr? Same cycle bro. Going into his jr yr,nobody had rg3 as a top qb prospect. Everyone and their mama said if bridgewater was the best qb prospect in cfb last yr as a sophmore.
& last year at this time we were thinking our 2014 draft pick would be in the high 20s saying Boyd had just as good a shot at being a franchise QB as Bridgewater. Mettenberger showed lots of promise & "we" thought Murray could be had in the 2nd or 3rd.

We were talking about the same guys, but they were going to be groomed as Matt's replacement in a year or so, not starting right away.

As far as I can tell, I'm one of the few who carried that view of these QBs into this year. The class was supposed to be deep with QB talent, & no sure fire franchise QB. & while Bridgewater played well, imo he didn't play well enough to over look the discrepencies between him & the prototypical franchise QB.

I've watched a bunch of him & my opinion is that his mechanics aren't near as "perfect" as some would have you believe. I don't believe he reads his progressions well. I do not like his footwork at all... & though many QBs hold the ball at chest level, I've never liked that technique. I think his receivers helped him out more than most want to admit & I think he either has a poor idea of ball placement or he's not as accurate as "they" say.

Do I think he can be a franchise QB? Sure. Do I think he has a better shot than Manziel, Bortles, Mettenberger, or even McCarron? Not really. He may very well be more prepared to start day 1 than the other guys, but that doesn't make him the "best" QB in this draft.
Old 01-10-2014   #358
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
& last year at this time we were thinking our 2014 draft pick would be in the high 20s saying Boyd had just as good a shot at being a franchise QB as Bridgewater. Mettenberger showed lots of promise & "we" thought Murray could be had in the 2nd or 3rd.

We were talking about the same guys, but they were going to be groomed as Matt's replacement in a year or so, not starting right away.

As far as I can tell, I'm one of the few who carried that view of these QBs into this year. The class was supposed to be deep with QB talent, & no sure fire franchise QB. & while Bridgewater played well, imo he didn't play well enough to over look the discrepencies between him & the prototypical franchise QB.

I've watched a bunch of him & my opinion is that his mechanics aren't near as "perfect" as some would have you believe. I don't believe he reads his progressions well. I do not like his footwork at all... & though many QBs hold the ball at chest level, I've never liked that technique. I think his receivers helped him out more than most want to admit & I think he either has a poor idea of ball placement or he's not as accurate as "they" say.

Do I think he can be a franchise QB? Sure. Do I think he has a better shot than Manziel, Bortles, Mettenberger, or even McCarron? Not really. He may very well be more prepared to start day 1 than the other guys, but that doesn't make him the "best" QB in this draft.
You can sell me on bortles, I've watched enough to understand Texian lovefest. You can almost sell me on manziel except with his sloppiness inside the pocket and his lack of throwing the ball on time. The 2 qbs you can never sell me on are mccarron and mettenberger. With mccarron, the bowl game only solidifies what I and most people already knew. Can't drive the ball without a clean pocket,crumbles under duress. The qb with the jets was a winner with the talent they had. When you can sit ,without any worries in the pocket,that's a pretty job even in the sec. Unfortunately,that's not really nfl way of living. Mettenburger has been awful until this year and he's only looked avg even with pro style coaching. Even then,he again will have probably 2 wrs drafted in the 1st 35 picks. When you have players like that,you should look a lot better than what he has looked.
Old 01-10-2014   #359
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unfortunately,that's not really nfl way of living. Mettenburger has been awful until this year and he's only looked avg even with pro style coaching. Even then,he again will have probably 2 wrs drafted in the 1st 35 picks. When you have players like that,you should look a lot better than what he has looked.
Awful = actually played well, going by your comments about Clowney. That seems to a be a running theme with you.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #360
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When I postedthe video,everyone for the most part agreed clowney was doubled 2 times or so and chipped 4 times maybe. Most of his action,he wasn't even blocked and set free. Not to mention wide 9 which really stresses your inside backers,remember philly. That's why all thlse double and tripled every play or most of the time were ridiculous accusations. Not only did richardson handle him,the right tackle on the flip,who I don't even know was handling him.

I think he's intriguing and he needs a lot of technique work. Even last year when people were calling him the next whoever after the michigan play,he knifed and made the play. I'm not against instincts,but as a de or olb, you should alwas keep your open side arm free to take blocks and turn everything. If you notice,not just on those clips,he was giving up contain.

If you go look at aldon smith,jj watt,von miller,robert quinn and guys like that,even coming in they were a lot more polished technique wise than clowney. That's not to say he won't or can't learn with good coaching. As I said before,even the mario/julius take plays off are minor compared to clowney. As posted also,its not like he didn't have a lot talent on that defense either.
Quote:

No one gets double and triple teamed all the time. It's not even about that. It's about how much attention does he get. How much game planning is there going on for him. If the play is being run away from him of course he will be single blocked. If it's a quick three step timing pass most likely he'll get one guy blocking him. It's the plays that are ran in his direction or the five step drop pass plays that you have to focus on.

And another thing. He is one of the best players in a long time at setting the edge. You have to understand his role in certain situations. Sometimes his responsibility is to turn the play inside. To make sure the offensive player doesn't get to the outside.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read