Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014   #301
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 11,729
Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
If Matthews is our target, then a trade down to 1-4 makes sense because 1-1 and 1-2 are both likely to be traded fo QB hungry teams and 1-3 is also QB hungry. I'm certain Cleveland would rather have pick 1 than pick 4 among the QBs. Using the old formula, this would mean Cleveland's 1-4 {1800}, 1-27 {680} (25-32 depending on Colts Finish) and 2-36 {540} {{3020}} for our 1-1 {3000} or thereabouts. Perhaps more if they get into a bidding war with other teams. We still get Matthews or Barr and pick up two high picks, perhaps including either Bortles or Mettenberger.

1-4 OT Mathews or OLB Barr
1-27 DE Nix or DE Hageman
2-33 S Clinton-Dix
2-36 DE Murphy or OT Richardson
3-65 QB Mettenberger or QB Fales or SS Dixon Or OLB Van Noy
4-97 QB McCarron or SS Harris or OLB SMith or OLB Ford
But then the Texans would miss out on their savior TB.

BTW, After last nights game I want LaMarcus Joyner in the 2nd if this trade were to be made. That guy is the best DB in this draft. Rey has been singing his praises for awhile now. I didn't want him because I thought he was too short to spend that high of a pick on. I was wrong.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #302
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,882
Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
“If Clowney doesn’t get proper coaching on the next level, he will be an unadulterated bust. Great talent but holes in his game” -Sean Jones
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #303
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,082
Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Sean jones is a good comparison
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #304
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

I watched the Tennessee vs SoCar and without a doubt,richardson will be a better tackle than matthews. If not,he's gonna be as good. Either he's that good or clowney int as good as people are making him out to be. Richardson blocked clowney all game without help. In fact,when they would flip clowney,the other tackle blocked him without help. There is another guy on gamecocks on the line Kelcy Quarles. That dude looks like he can play either a nt or a 5 tech. He looks a lot like Ty Warren who crennel had in N.E.
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #305
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,082
Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I watched the Tennessee vs SoCar and without a doubt,richardson will be a better tackle than matthews. If not,he's gonna be as good. Either he's that good or clowney int as good as people are making him out to be. Richardson blocked clowney all game without help. In fact,when they would flip clowney,the other tackle blocked him without help. There is another guy on gamecocks on the line Kelcy Quarles. That dude looks like he can play either a nt or a 5 tech. He looks a lot like Ty Warren who crennel had in N.E.
He's not as big as he looks.
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #306
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
He's not as big as he looks.
Who are you talking about,Quarles?
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #307
bhsman
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 644
Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I watched the Tennessee vs SoCar and without a doubt,richardson will be a better tackle than matthews. If not,he's gonna be as good. Either he's that good or clowney int as good as people are making him out to be. Richardson blocked clowney all game without help. In fact,when they would flip clowney,the other tackle blocked him without help. There is another guy on gamecocks on the line Kelcy Quarles. That dude looks like he can play either a nt or a 5 tech. He looks a lot like Ty Warren who crennel had in N.E.
Are we talking about the 2013 game? Because I'm pretty sure you'd be wrong there, just as you were about the UNC game.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2014   #308
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,082
Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Who are you talking about,Quarles?
Yes
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #309
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Are we talking about the 2013 game? Because I'm pretty sure you'd be wrong there, just as you were about the UNC game.
I have the this yrs game. I wasn't wrong about the unc game either. I also found the defensive snaps of that game on youtube. Brb,lemme get the link.
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #310
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yes
He's 6'4 300lbs,but his frame can hold 320 easy. Led the team in sacks and tfl. Gamecocks also have another dl.
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #311
bhsman
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 644
Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I have the this yrs game. I wasn't wrong about the unc game either. I also found the defensive snaps of that game on youtube. Brb,lemme get the link.
You claimed they didn't double/chip Clowney much, if at all, during that game, and I proceeded to point out every time they did. The Tennessee game is actually more blatant about this than the UNC game.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #312
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
You claimed they didn't double/chip Clowney much, if at all, during that game, and I proceeded to point out every time they did. The Tennessee game is actually more blatant about this than the UNC game.

Clowney was better vs the run,more disruptive than he was as a pass rusher. Here is the video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8hMwjEGltw

#74 handled him without help
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #313
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

If you notice, he's playing a lot wide 9. That was made famous recently by jim washburn and tennessee titans. The gamecocks have some talent on that defense.
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #314
bhsman
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 644
Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

First off, that Kelcy Quarles that you posted, not Clowney.

Secondly -

0:10 - TE attempts to chip Clowney, but Clowney's speed makes the TE look like he's trying to tackle a ghost as Clowney gets a huge hit in the backfield.

0:40 - Looks like they had the right guard pull and surprise Clowney and move him around while the RB runs behind him before being tackled for a short gain. At this point, Richardson has not engaged Clowney 1v1.

0:50 - Here, Clowney swims past Richardson so quickly that the left tackle is actually stuck staring at the ground for a second; luckily for the RB, despite Clowney swimming so hard that there wasn't even time for a double-team, the left guard is able to push him aside at the last second. It's the exact play Brett Kollmann pointed out in his breakdown on Clowney, which I guess you didn't read despite my linking it last time. Clowney absolutely embarassed Richardson on that play.

0:59 - Clowney AGAIN swims right past Richardson before the double-team can be set, and the entire snap involved the southern-most Tight End running up to Clowney and chipping him from the other side while being blocked by the left guard. That's right: the entire point of the play was to have three people blocking Clowney, and one of those was a blindsite block.

1:13 - Here, Richardson gets a slight chip on Clowney from the tight end but is able to hold him in place; a good play by Richardson.

1:22 - This play? Not so much. Richardson again lunges at Clowney, who side steps him so quickly and is in the backfield blowing up the running back almost immediately.

1:47 - Passing play; Clowney pushes Richardson back but ultimately Richardson keeps Clowney in place aside from Clowney jumping to potentially knock the pass down. The QB throws it a bit higher than he probably intends and it's incomplete.

2:03 - In what is probably the dumbest thing I've seen Tennessee do so far, they have the QB drift towards Clowney's side of the field. Clowney, of course, responds by immediately beating Richardson outside and getting chipped by the RB and getting within an arm's length of the QB, who forces a bad throw and is incomplete.

2:10 - Clowney AGAIN swims immediately past Richardson before the double-team (or what looks like one, on first view) can be completed, getting blocked temporarily by the guard before the QB throws to the other side of the field. On second view, it appears that the left guard is just trying to handle Clowney because Richardson got beat so badly and not because of a double team being planned.

2:20 - Clowney is double-teamed by LT + LG; he's able to bench Richardson off of him and share a tackle-for-loss with his teammate, #20. It's Clowney's third tackle-for-loss on the day at this point, and it's still the first quarter.

2:37 - Another pass; Richardson gets a little help from the LG but otherwise does a good job of Clowney, who goes a little too high out of his stance. QB's pass is ultimately incomplete.

2:43 - The play (a passing one) is rendered null, ultimately, by a false start by Richardson who kicks out a good two seconds early, but you can see that he was about to receive help in the form of a chip by the RB if the play had continued.

2:56 - Same play as last time, with Clowney being blocked by Richardson while being chipped by the RB, who goes off to run a hot route. Clowney still pushes Richardson to within an arm's reach of the QB, who runs off while Clowney gets shoved to the ground by Richardson.

3:09 - Clowney momentarily blocked by Richardson while they pass the ball over them to get a screen play going, but it ultimately goes for a loss. Richardson gets called for an Illegal Formation for not being on the line of scrimmage.

3:33 - Clowney is double-teamed by Richardson and the tight end while the ball is run away from him.

3:45 - Richardson keeps Clowney in place while the RB runs by.

4:01 - Richardson gets pushed back by Clowney before getting help from the LG; the QB gets the pass out too quickly for it to be of consequence, however.

4:10 - Clowney starts to beat Richardson outside but the QB again gets the pass out too quickly for it to matter.

4:17 - Richardson blocks Clowney while ball is run away from him; they haven't run to his side since very early in the game.

4:25 - Clowney beats Richardson outside but is held (not called by refs) but again the QB gets the ball out almost immediately. Very similar to what San Diego was doing to the defense in week 1: focus heavily on quick passing to reduce the pass rush's effectiveness.

4:40 - Clowney beats Richardson inside almost immediately, but by chance blocked by the right tackle pushing Clowney's teammate into him while the running back goes around them.

5:25 - Richardson keeps Clowney blocked but the running play is stuffed at the LoS.

5:37 - Richardson gets help from LG in blocking Clowney and almost a chip by the RB; QB is pressured by the right DE but still throws a TD pass off his back foot. Really lucky break for the Vols.

5:46 - Note that at this point it was 10:15 when the Vols scored the TD and by the time of this play it is 8:36, meaning the Gamecock offense must've gone three-and-out and not giving Clowney and the defense time to rest. On this play, Clowney is being blocked just by Richardson but bull-rushes him almost into the QB, who again gets the quick pass off for a very short gain to the tight end.

5:55 - Clowney is blocked by Richardson while the RB goes past him.

6:03 - Clowney beats Richardson outside and the RB tries to chip him while the QB gets the pass off and is somehow pulled it. Tennessee got a couple of lucky plays during the game and this was one of them.

6:17 - For the next few plays, Clowney drops back rather than engage the offensive line, making a tackle after a long run by the RB.

6:49 - Clowney swims the Tight End trying to block himwhile the RB runs it in for a touchdown.

6:55 - When Tennessee last had the ball, the game clock said 6:11 or so; at the start of this play, there are only 54 seconds left in the half, meaning Clowney had time to rest at this point. He's left unblocked and immediately plants the RB, who somehow lets the ball go but it is ruled as a forward pass by the refs. Again, the Vols seemed to get insanely lucky at times during this game.

8:01 - Third quarter at this point. Clowney swims Richardson (he's seriously reminding me of Watt with the number of times he swims people and with how effective it is) and helps make a tackle on the RB.

8:17 - Richardson can't block Clowney and has to move him up the field while the pass is thrown away from them.

8:28 - THIS is the play people who question Clowney's effort need to watch. Clowney squirts through the gap before Richardson can even do anything, but lands on his hands and knees. He proceeds to lunge on all fours after the QB and eventually the RB, who runs away from Clowney. That's not the effort of someone who is taking his last season off for a big payday, and Brett points out as much in his breakdown.

8:48 - Richardson tries to get his hands on Clowney, but Clowney brushes him off while the sweep play goes away from him. Did I mention that they haven't run any plays towards him in awhile? The last time they did, the Vols offense was pushing on a tired Gamecock defense, but whenever Clowney is fresh they don't risk it. That's an offense-warping talent on the other side of the ball by reputation alone, and it shows.

8:59 - Again Richardson tries to get his hands on Clowney and again Clowney brushes him off.

9:10 - Clowney bullrushes Richardson back but is gets an assist from the LG.

9:22 - Clowney splits the double team but is chipped by the RB while the QB throws the ball away from Clowney.

9:39 - Clowney bullrushes Richardson, QB gets pass off before Clowney can reach.

9:50 - Clowney left unblocked, again blows up the RB in the backfield. Well, he technically misses the tackle, but about 4-5 Gamecock defenders decide to spot him for it.

10:08 - Clowney is pushed upfield by Richardson by the RB goes past them, but is ultimately tackled at the LoS.

10:18 - Richardson gets help from the RB while Clowney pushes them both upfield, forcing a bad pass from the QB towards the sideline. It is too low and is ultimately dropped by the receiver.

10:47 - Clowney gets pushed upfield by Richardson, but the Gamecock defense leaves a gaping whole on Clowney's side and the QB, pressured from behind by another player, makes a long run.

10:59 - Richardson blocks Clowney (along with what seems like a chip by the LG), but the QB quickly passes the ball on a bad snap away from them.

11:30 - Clowney immediately swims Richardson (this is becoming a theme...), but is met by the chipping tight end while the ball is actually being run the other way on a sweep (cool little play). The play ultimately goes for a loss, however.

11:40-ish - Clowney switches to the right side for a few plays here.

12:47 - Back to the left side. Clowney has to be pushed upfield again by Richardson while the QB passes away from them quickly. Their success with this quick passing is up and down; while they are neutralizing the Gamecock pass rush to an extent, the passes are often dropped or defended quickly.

12:55 - Clowney is blocked by Richardson, who gets an assist from a chipping RB. Clowney uses an inside spin move and you can see Richardson holding a fistful of Clowney's jersey. Clowney's pressure forces the QB to throw the ball away.

13:04 - Clowney isn't engaging Richardson here, instead standing up and blitzing up the middle like a linebacker. The QB, with Clowney and another defender in his face, throws a long bomb that ends up being caught one-handed by the WR while he is falling down. I can't help but shake my head when you consider the teams South Carolina went on to beat. If they don't lose here (or get unfairly dropped for only barely beating UCF, who went on to let everyone know just how good they were this year) you potentially have South Carolina going to the SECCG and perhaps the NCG this year. I hate seeing the worse team win when it basically comes down to luck. Ugh.

13:15-ish - The Gamecock defense decided to have Clowney drop back more here for some reason (I really hate how they decided to get all cute during this game, especially having Clowney try and cover during the Wisconsin game), allowing the Vols to get some bigger runs off. Just a waste of Clowney's ability in the trenches.

13:35 - Clowney tries to swim Richardson, though Tony finally seems to have gotten the hang of it and keeps him in place. Clowney responds with a spin move as the tight end comes in to chip, at which point Clowney stops because the RB has been stuffed at the LoS.

13:43 - Richardson does something I've never seen him do for the entire game, which is push Clowney back (technically he gets him while Clowney is going outside). The RB goes between the LT and LG and gets a first down.

With some exceptions, all of those were times Clowney directly engaged Richardson (or vice versa) during the game.

So, just to be clear, when you say Richardson 'handled him all game without any help', did you by chance mean 'got beat a whole lot, stopped Clowney at times, but got a whole lot of help throughout the game'? Because that's pretty much all that happened.

Please stop trying to make stupid claims about Clowney; you obviously have NO idea what you are talking about. Or do, because then I get to obsess over film for an hour and remind myself why I want this guy at first overall.

'Handled him without help'? Goodness, don't quit your day job. Yeesh.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #315
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
First off, that Kelcy Quarles that you posted, not Clowney.

Secondly -

0:10 - TE attempts to chip Clowney, but Clowney's speed makes the TE look like he's trying to tackle a ghost as Clowney gets a huge hit in the backfield.

0:40 - Looks like they had the right guard pull and surprise Clowney and move him around while the RB runs behind him before being tackled for a short gain. At this point, Richardson has not engaged Clowney 1v1.

0:50 - Here, Clowney swims past Richardson so quickly that the left tackle is actually stuck staring at the ground for a second; luckily for the RB, despite Clowney swimming so hard that there wasn't even time for a double-team, the left guard is able to push him aside at the last second. It's the exact play Brett Kollmann pointed out in his breakdown on Clowney, which I guess you didn't read despite my linking it last time. Clowney absolutely embarassed Richardson on that play.

0:59 - Clowney AGAIN swims right past Richardson before the double-team can be set, and the entire snap involved the southern-most Tight End running up to Clowney and chipping him from the other side while being blocked by the left guard. That's right: the entire point of the play was to have three people blocking Clowney, and one of those was a blindsite block.

1:13 - Here, Richardson gets a slight chip on Clowney from the tight end but is able to hold him in place; a good play by Richardson.

1:22 - This play? Not so much. Richardson again lunges at Clowney, who side steps him so quickly and is in the backfield blowing up the running back almost immediately.

1:47 - Passing play; Clowney pushes Richardson back but ultimately Richardson keeps Clowney in place aside from Clowney jumping to potentially knock the pass down. The QB throws it a bit higher than he probably intends and it's incomplete.

2:03 - In what is probably the dumbest thing I've seen Tennessee do so far, they have the QB drift towards Clowney's side of the field. Clowney, of course, responds by immediately beating Richardson outside and getting chipped by the RB and getting within an arm's length of the QB, who forces a bad throw and is incomplete.

2:10 - Clowney AGAIN swims immediately past Richardson before the double-team (or what looks like one, on first view) can be completed, getting blocked temporarily by the guard before the QB throws to the other side of the field. On second view, it appears that the left guard is just trying to handle Clowney because Richardson got beat so badly and not because of a double team being planned.

2:20 - Clowney is double-teamed by LT + LG; he's able to bench Richardson off of him and share a tackle-for-loss with his teammate, #20. It's Clowney's third tackle-for-loss on the day at this point, and it's still the first quarter.

2:37 - Another pass; Richardson gets a little help from the LG but otherwise does a good job of Clowney, who goes a little too high out of his stance. QB's pass is ultimately incomplete.

2:43 - The play (a passing one) is rendered null, ultimately, by a false start by Richardson who kicks out a good two seconds early, but you can see that he was about to receive help in the form of a chip by the RB if the play had continued.

2:56 - Same play as last time, with Clowney being blocked by Richardson while being chipped by the RB, who goes off to run a hot route. Clowney still pushes Richardson to within an arm's reach of the QB, who runs off while Clowney gets shoved to the ground by Richardson.

3:09 - Clowney momentarily blocked by Richardson while they pass the ball over them to get a screen play going, but it ultimately goes for a loss. Richardson gets called for an Illegal Formation for not being on the line of scrimmage.

3:33 - Clowney is double-teamed by Richardson and the tight end while the ball is run away from him.

3:45 - Richardson keeps Clowney in place while the RB runs by.

4:01 - Richardson gets pushed back by Clowney before getting help from the LG; the QB gets the pass out too quickly for it to be of consequence, however.

4:10 - Clowney starts to beat Richardson outside but the QB again gets the pass out too quickly for it to matter.

4:17 - Richardson blocks Clowney while ball is run away from him; they haven't run to his side since very early in the game.

4:25 - Clowney beats Richardson outside but is held (not called by refs) but again the QB gets the ball out almost immediately. Very similar to what San Diego was doing to the defense in week 1: focus heavily on quick passing to reduce the pass rush's effectiveness.

4:40 - Clowney beats Richardson inside almost immediately, but by chance blocked by the right tackle pushing Clowney's teammate into him while the running back goes around them.

5:25 - Richardson keeps Clowney blocked but the running play is stuffed at the LoS.

5:37 - Richardson gets help from LG in blocking Clowney and almost a chip by the RB; QB is pressured by the right DE but still throws a TD pass off his back foot. Really lucky break for the Vols.

5:46 - Note that at this point it was 10:15 when the Vols scored the TD and by the time of this play it is 8:36, meaning the Gamecock offense must've gone three-and-out and not giving Clowney and the defense time to rest. On this play, Clowney is being blocked just by Richardson but bull-rushes him almost into the QB, who again gets the quick pass off for a very short gain to the tight end.

5:55 - Clowney is blocked by Richardson while the RB goes past him.

6:03 - Clowney beats Richardson outside and the RB tries to chip him while the QB gets the pass off and is somehow pulled it. Tennessee got a couple of lucky plays during the game and this was one of them.

6:17 - For the next few plays, Clowney drops back rather than engage the offensive line, making a tackle after a long run by the RB.

6:49 - Clowney swims the Tight End trying to block himwhile the RB runs it in for a touchdown.

6:55 - When Tennessee last had the ball, the game clock said 6:11 or so; at the start of this play, there are only 54 seconds left in the half, meaning Clowney had time to rest at this point. He's left unblocked and immediately plants the RB, who somehow lets the ball go but it is ruled as a forward pass by the refs. Again, the Vols seemed to get insanely lucky at times during this game.

8:01 - Third quarter at this point. Clowney swims Richardson (he's seriously reminding me of Watt with the number of times he swims people and with how effective it is) and helps make a tackle on the RB.

8:17 - Richardson can't block Clowney and has to move him up the field while the pass is thrown away from them.

8:28 - THIS is the play people who question Clowney's effort need to watch. Clowney squirts through the gap before Richardson can even do anything, but lands on his hands and knees. He proceeds to lunge on all fours after the QB and eventually the RB, who runs away from Clowney. That's not the effort of someone who is taking his last season off for a big payday, and Brett points out as much in his breakdown.

8:48 - Richardson tries to get his hands on Clowney, but Clowney brushes him off while the sweep play goes away from him. Did I mention that they haven't run any plays towards him in awhile? The last time they did, the Vols offense was pushing on a tired Gamecock defense, but whenever Clowney is fresh they don't risk it. That's an offense-warping talent on the other side of the ball by reputation alone, and it shows.

8:59 - Again Richardson tries to get his hands on Clowney and again Clowney brushes him off.

9:10 - Clowney bullrushes Richardson back but is gets an assist from the LG.

9:22 - Clowney splits the double team but is chipped by the RB while the QB throws the ball away from Clowney.

9:39 - Clowney bullrushes Richardson, QB gets pass off before Clowney can reach.

9:50 - Clowney left unblocked, again blows up the RB in the backfield. Well, he technically misses the tackle, but about 4-5 Gamecock defenders decide to spot him for it.

10:08 - Clowney is pushed upfield by Richardson by the RB goes past them, but is ultimately tackled at the LoS.

10:18 - Richardson gets help from the RB while Clowney pushes them both upfield, forcing a bad pass from the QB towards the sideline. It is too low and is ultimately dropped by the receiver.

10:47 - Clowney gets pushed upfield by Richardson, but the Gamecock defense leaves a gaping whole on Clowney's side and the QB, pressured from behind by another player, makes a long run.

10:59 - Richardson blocks Clowney (along with what seems like a chip by the LG), but the QB quickly passes the ball on a bad snap away from them.

11:30 - Clowney immediately swims Richardson (this is becoming a theme...), but is met by the chipping tight end while the ball is actually being run the other way on a sweep (cool little play). The play ultimately goes for a loss, however.

11:40-ish - Clowney switches to the right side for a few plays here.

12:47 - Back to the left side. Clowney has to be pushed upfield again by Richardson while the QB passes away from them quickly. Their success with this quick passing is up and down; while they are neutralizing the Gamecock pass rush to an extent, the passes are often dropped or defended quickly.

12:55 - Clowney is blocked by Richardson, who gets an assist from a chipping RB. Clowney uses an inside spin move and you can see Richardson holding a fistful of Clowney's jersey. Clowney's pressure forces the QB to throw the ball away.

13:04 - Clowney isn't engaging Richardson here, instead standing up and blitzing up the middle like a linebacker. The QB, with Clowney and another defender in his face, throws a long bomb that ends up being caught one-handed by the WR while he is falling down. I can't help but shake my head when you consider the teams South Carolina went on to beat. If they don't lose here (or get unfairly dropped for only barely beating UCF, who went on to let everyone know just how good they were this year) you potentially have South Carolina going to the SECCG and perhaps the NCG this year. I hate seeing the worse team win when it basically comes down to luck. Ugh.

13:15-ish - The Gamecock defense decided to have Clowney drop back more here for some reason (I really hate how they decided to get all cute during this game, especially having Clowney try and cover during the Wisconsin game), allowing the Vols to get some bigger runs off. Just a waste of Clowney's ability in the trenches.

13:35 - Clowney tries to swim Richardson, though Tony finally seems to have gotten the hang of it and keeps him in place. Clowney responds with a spin move as the tight end comes in to chip, at which point Clowney stops because the RB has been stuffed at the LoS.

13:43 - Richardson does something I've never seen him do for the entire game, which is push Clowney back (technically he gets him while Clowney is going outside). The RB goes between the LT and LG and gets a first down.

With some exceptions, all of those were times Clowney directly engaged Richardson (or vice versa) during the game.

So, just to be clear, when you say Richardson 'handled him all game without any help', did you by chance mean 'got beat a whole lot, stopped Clowney at times, but got a whole lot of help throughout the game'? Because that's pretty much all that happened.

Please stop trying to make stupid claims about Clowney; you obviously have NO idea what you are talking about. Or do, because then I get to obsess over film for an hour and remind myself why I want this guy at first overall.

'Handled him without help'? Goodness, don't quit your day job. Yeesh.
Do you know what a a double team even looks like. I know its suppose to be quarles you tube. I had the game on dvr because so many people had Richardson as the ot top 2nd rd. So while watching the game, I've also heard people talk about quarles. So I youtube him while watching the game. I stop the game to watch the clip because it had all defensive snaps. So I watched richardson a lot. These chips and dubles you speak of I didn't see. I did see a dive in by clowney and he was teamed up on. As I said earlier,when he knifed in,he was more disruptive in the run game. As a pass rusher,even in a wide 9, richardson handled him without help. Everyone else can watch it and make their judgement. Your breakdown of chips and doubles are novice.
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #316
bhsman
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 644
Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Do you know what a double team even look like?
Don't be a troll.

Better idea: explain how Clowney embarrassing Richardson on a number of snaps counts as 'handling' him, in your own words. Take your time, there's no rush.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #317
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!
 
Dutchrudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston
Section: Fort Kickass
Age: 29
Posts: 15,063
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Richardson did a great job against Clowney in that game, no doubt.

There were 2 double teams against Clowney in the Tenn game in the 1st quarter alone, and about 6 more if you go by Texian's definition.
__________________
Life is too important to be taken seriously. -Oscar Wilde
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #318
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,625
Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Richardson did a great job against Clowney in that game, no doubt.

There were 2 double teams against Clowney in the Tenn game in the 1st quarter alone, and about 6 more if you go by Texian's definition.
This is correct...He was clearly doubled a few times & chipped a couple of other times, but it didn't appear the Vols were shading their protection his way too much. The 2 plays i saw him make, they didn't block him, dude pretty much had a free run at the rb. They also let Richardson go 1 on 1 with him quite a bit.

Seems Tenn tried to take advantage of his tendencies to run around & slice down on plays where he constantly gave up his lane integrity. Just let him declare where he was gonna go & the RB ran right where he left alot of times.

I honestly don't see where all this "constant double teaming / chipping" talk is coming from nor do i see alot of football intelligence with this kid. Many times it wasn't even chipping he was recieving it was just the rb in pass pro doing what he was supposed to do.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #319
bhsman
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 644
Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

To Richardson's credit he was able to stonewall Clowney at times, and I point it out as such. But Clowney made him look bad a whole lot, and Richardson often had some help.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #320
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame
 
WolverineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,308
Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I watched the Tennessee vs SoCar and without a doubt,richardson will be a better tackle than matthews. If not,he's gonna be as good.
Richardson might be my favorite OT in the draft.
__________________
"Those who stay will be champions."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger