Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-17-2014   #2401
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Manziel, Bridgewater, or Clowney. Give me one of those three, and I would be happy.

Just no Blake Bortles is all I ask
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2402
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Manziel, Bridgewater, or Clowney. Give me one of those three, and I would be happy.

Why not Bortles?
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2403
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish
Default Re: NFC exec: 'Spoiled' Clowney 'never worked hard a day in his life'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Honestly I just want to draft him to form an all-dreds defense. This includes Cush and Watt.
I will do one for Cushing later.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2404
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I have talked at length with Doc about this and it isn't that minor and more importantly the surgery does not fix the underlying cause. Look in the last few pages and Doc repeats that and that even with surgery Clowney may be playing with pain for his career. This would be a better risk if it wasn't the key body part but it is. Clowney is about burst. Gary Walker went from one of the best penetrating DTs around to out of the league in short order because of a related condition, turf toe.

Overall that is where I am at.

I don't pretend to be a QB guru. Overall I rank them TB, Manziel, Bortles. I think 1 of them will be an above average starter in the league but the best I can hope for beyond that is if the Texans take one at all, they pick the best one. Putting aside the QBs I would go Watkins.
Now this is a good post. Mainly because I agree with it. I'm perfectly fine with any of the guys you mentioned with the exception of Mathews. However I wouldn't blow a gasket if he were the pick. I also would add Mack to that list.

I do understand having reservations about Clowney's medical. I do as well. That is a legitimate concern. Has there been any word that we have a new medical staff? Sure seems like a lot slipped by the previous staff. Surely the Ed Reed fiasco cost someone their job.
Old 04-17-2014   #2405
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 45905 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His injury concerns alone make him a bigger risk than several other players.
You realize the Houston Texans are a billion dollar organization, right? With access to some of the best doctors, researchers and med facilities you think they haven't done their homework on this guy?

Any major sporting team would use their best resources to make sure their products are good to go with no defects. No offense to CnD but if the Texans multi-million dollar medical team says Clowney is clear, that would be the end of story for me.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2406
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 170382 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
You realize the Houston Texans are a billion dollar organization, right? With access to some of the best doctors, researchers and med facilities you think they haven't done their homework on this guy?

Any major sporting team would use their best resources to make sure their products are good to go with no defects. No offense to CnD but if the Texans multi-million dollar medical team says Clowney is clear, that would be the end of story for me.
Sincerely,
Tony Boselli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2407
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post

Because the Texans have such a great track record in diagnosing injuries to both current and prospective players.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2014   #2408
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Because the Texans have such a great track record in diagnosing injuries to both current and prospective players.
I asked earlier and I'll ask again. Do we still have the same medical staff? I really hope not. They were/are about as good at their job as our last special teams coach.
Old 04-17-2014   #2409
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
So Watkins? I could live with that.
I've been saying Watkins for a while now but I don't think we'll go that direction. I think Watkins has the best combination of high Upside and high Downside. I think he's going to be the best player coming out of this draft and I think he'd do the most to improve our team and for 1-1, that's how I think you should judge this.

But I don't expect us to draft Watkins with the WR crew we already have. I think we are going to draft a WR or two this year but I expect it to be slot guys later in the draft.

My overall list would be:

1. Watkins
2. Robinson
3. Clowney
4. Mack
5. Matthews
6. Bridgewater

But I expect us to go Clowney or one of the QBs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2410
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When you want to grow up and take your cheerleading costume off you can come eat at the adult table.
And your choice is who ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2411
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Bortles #1 is all I ask!
Old 04-17-2014   #2412
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've been saying Watkins for a while now but I don't think we'll go that direction. I think Watkins has the best combination of high Upside and high Downside. I think he's going to be the best player coming out of this draft and I think he'd do the most to improve our team and for 1-1, that's how I think you should judge this.

But I don't expect us to draft Watkins with the WR crew we already have. I think we are going to draft a WR or two this year but I expect it to be slot guys later in the draft.

My overall list would be:

1. Watkins
2. Robinson
3. Clowney
4. Mack
5. Matthews
6. Bridgewater

But I expect us to go Clowney or one of the QBs.
We've already got our franchise LT who is under contract for several more years, and WR is a non-premium position which is already our strongest position on offense, maybe the whole roster. What we are really hurting for is an edge pass rusher to pressure the QB.
Old 04-17-2014   #2413
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
And your choice is who ?
I'm pretty sure I've seen him say Tyler Ott, LS from Harvard, a time or two
Old 04-17-2014   #2414
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
We've already got our franchise LT who is under contract for several more years, and WR is a non-premium position which is already our strongest position on offense, maybe the whole roster. What we are really hurting for is an edge pass rusher to pressure the QB.
So you take a chance on someone with huge questions and a much greater likelihood of busting and being out of the league in 4 years? I wouldn't. Drafting shouldn't be so much about what you need but rather what's available.

AJ isn't going to last forever and as much as I like Hopkins, I don't see him as AJ's replacement. Watkins could be. A WR crew of AJ, Watkins, and Hopkins would be hard to stop and could make even a mediocre QB look pretty damned good.

Although we have our franchise LT, we have a gaping hole at RT. With the change in the Rookie Salary structure, I don't have a problem nabbing a guy who really is more suited for RT right now and putting him there while he learns how to play the position and improve his pass protection. This gives us a superior line -- possibly one of the best lines in the league -- and that makes everyone else better. And if something happens to DB, we've got a guy we can put over there who's at least talented enough to play the position.

With Clowney, he's a risk. He's got health questions, motor questions, and motivation questions. He could be the best player out of this draft or he could get a paycheck and be done.

Like I said, I expect us to go Clowney. I'll get behind him and I'll root for him to be the greatest OLB he can be and get lots of sacks for us. But that's just not the strategy I'd take.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2415
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have talked at length with Doc about this and it isn't that minor and more importantly the surgery does not fix the underlying cause. Look in the last few pages and Doc repeats that and that even with surgery Clowney may be playing with pain for his career...
As have I, many times, and Dr. CND has yet to tell me to pull him for medical. Will call him again to see if I can get that opinion.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2416
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 45905 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Sincerely,
Tony Boselli
Yeah, I knew the Boselli bomb would drop. Just want to see who take the bait. Comparing an old vet with shoulder injury against a 21 year-old with minor bonespurs... I like my chances a lot more on the youngins.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2417
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
As have I, many times, and Dr. CND has yet to tell me to pull him for medical. Will call him again to see if I can get that opinion.
You won't get a do not draft opinion from him and I am not saying he has said anything like that. He would take the risk IF Clowney promises to have the surgery immediately. He's also doesn't say surgery = wham bam light a cigarette. I don't differ from what he has said on the medical issues but we differ on the decision to be made based on that.
Old 04-17-2014   #2418
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You won't get a do not draft opinion from him and I am not saying he has said anything like that. He would take the risk IF Clowney promises to have the surgery immediately. He's also doesn't say surgery = wham bam light a cigarette. I don't differ from what he has said on the medical issues but we differ on the decision to be made based on that.
Ahh, okay. Still need to catch up on this issue with him... my rememberer needs to be reminded more often.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2419
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Why not Bortles?
Bortles screams Blaine Gabbert to me.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2420
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
So you take a chance on someone with huge questions and a much greater likelihood of busting and being out of the league in 4 years? I wouldn't. Drafting shouldn't be so much about what you need but rather what's available.

AJ isn't going to last forever and as much as I like Hopkins, I don't see him as AJ's replacement. Watkins could be. A WR crew of AJ, Watkins, and Hopkins would be hard to stop and could make even a mediocre QB look pretty damned good.

Although we have our franchise LT, we have a gaping hole at RT. With the change in the Rookie Salary structure, I don't have a problem nabbing a guy who really is more suited for RT right now and putting him there while he learns how to play the position and improve his pass protection. This gives us a superior line -- possibly one of the best lines in the league -- and that makes everyone else better. And if something happens to DB, we've got a guy we can put over there who's at least talented enough to play the position.

With Clowney, he's a risk. He's got health questions, motor questions, and motivation questions. He could be the best player out of this draft or he could get a paycheck and be done.

Like I said, I expect us to go Clowney. I'll get behind him and I'll root for him to be the greatest OLB he can be and get lots of sacks for us. But that's just not the strategy I'd take.
I find your reluctance to draft Clowney even though you expect O'Brien/Smith to do just that very curious ? Is it you think the Texans are just plain incompetent, or perhaps you think they are reckless in downplaying a risk you perceive to be very substantial with Clowney ?
But I would expect AJ to have atleast 2 more years as our #1 receiver, and with both Hopkins and Posey showing promise as #2 WRs, what we really need in the receiving area is a slot guy and help at TE. With so many glaring holes on the Texans DC, just don't see the wisdom in using the #1 overall in maybe our strongest position on the team ?
But your thoughts about improving the OLine with a pick at RT makes a lot of sense: consider Taylor Lewan for that position because he's might be a better pass blocking talent that Robinson or Matthews
while still being a solid run blocker.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read