Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-16-2014   #2381
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFC exec: 'Spoiled' Clowney 'never worked hard a day in his life'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Apparently at least one NFC scouting director is convinced Clowney won't be giving the effort necessary to succeed in the NFL, though. He described Clowney as "spoiled" and "lazy," according to an nj.com report.

"He's never worked hard a day in his life, now all of a sudden you're going to give him a bunch of money and expect him to work hard. I don't see it," he said, per the report.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...Twitter_nfl_cb
Without a name attached to this it's worthless.
Old 04-16-2014   #2382
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What you guys are missing is it is Clowney defenders who came up with this "crap" are other Clowney defenders attempting to justify his lack of production.

In response to that defense, some of us have said if that is true then it is worse.
So evidence of someone being defended is evidence of guilt? I hope you never have to deal with the legal system. :p
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #2383
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
So evidence of someone being defended is evidence of guilt? I hope you never have to deal with the legal system. :p
Look, you blind Clowney guys are stuck in one of two positions:

1) He was giving full effort and was nonetheless unproductive, or

2) He was taking a year off so his unproductive year is not indicative of ability.

Frankly I don't care because I wouldn't take him because of injury concerns alone.
Old 04-16-2014   #2384
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Without a name attached to this it's worthless.
Pretty much agree 100% with that.

My issue, as far as looking at other people's views on him, is with how miffed Spurrier seemed to be when dealing with him.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #2385
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm surprised nobody here has talked about this, but what do you guys think of his lack of production this past season?

do you think it was his work ethic? or he was just schemed more against?

discuss.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #2386
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

May 8th can't get here soon enough!
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #2387
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2) He was taking a year off so his unproductive year is not indicative of ability.

Frankly I don't care because I wouldn't take him because of injury concerns alone.
You're free to cite actual downs and plays where this happened rather than accuse other people of blind. Please, do try and be a little self-aware, eh?
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014   #2388
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
i'm surprised nobody here has talked about this, but what do you guys think of his lack of production this past season?

discuss.
Old 04-16-2014   #2389
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post

discuss.
Honestly I just want to draft him to form an all-dreds defense. This includes Cush and Watt.
Old 04-17-2014   #2390
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

lol I'm not saying that he's the next coming of Bruce Smith. My preference would be to trade down and take Mack along with multiple other picks. If we have to take someone #1, I'd take Clowney -- not because he's perfect, but because I think he's less of a risk than the others. I also think Clowney is BY FAR the most likely player that someone will want to trade up to #1 to take. I don't see any other player that a team would be willing to mortgage their 2014 draft for.

Honest question, do you fault a team's management for quitting on a season and preparing for their future, or just players? Was Bill Polian a quitter with no work ethic for telling Manning to take a seat and tanking the Colt's 2011 season so they could "suck for Luck?" I think it's understandable sometimes to suffer through short term pain in return for long term success (ironic considering that South Carolina was better last year than they've ever been before. They finished #4 in the country -- their highest ranking ever -- and also produced their best defense ever).
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2391
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
May 8th can't get here soon enough!
Amen
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2392
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Amen
3 weeks to go

all my emotions ill go through
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2393
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
I rewatched the Rams vs Texans game last season and noticed the Rams schemed JJ Watt more than any other teams last year. 3 out 4 plays they chipped, double, screen. There were about 4 plays where Watt were single block on regular passing play. Watt beat his man on half of those plays, only causing incomplete on hurries.

I don't think Watt made a single tackle in that game. But the effort and effect Watt had in that game was undeniable. That's the kind of attention and scheme I saw when watching games of Clowney. This whole accusation of him tanking the season is sickening to me.
He must have been taking the game off like Clowney. What a dog!
Stat line; LINK:

J. Watt TOT:0 Solo:0 Sacks:0 TFL:0 PD:0 QB Hits:1 TD:0

Hell even Sharpton had a tackle. Maybe we shouldn't re-sign JJ. He obviously sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2394
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's all fine and well, but when and if you are able to find some big boy pants and make a decision on your own about who you would advise the Texans to select with their 1.1, get back to us. In the meantime, sure of course it's always easy and convenient to sit back and criticize others for their choice while remaining uncommitted on the sidelines yourself.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2395
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
lol I'm not saying that he's the next coming of Bruce Smith.
Hey I didn't throw you into the blind Clowney defender pool, you just jumped there.

Quote:
If we have to take someone #1, I'd take Clowney -- not because he's perfect, but because I think he's less of a risk than the others.
His injury concerns alone make him a bigger risk than several other players. Putting aside the QBs Watkins and Robinson for instance are much safer picks. And I'm not saying Clowney is slag or does not have potential, he does. IMO his risks of injury primarily and then motivation mean other players would be better choices.

Quote:
I also think Clowney is BY FAR the most likely player that someone will want to trade up to #1 to take. I don't see any other player that a team would be willing to mortgage their 2014 draft for.
Agreed and I hope some team is willing to pay to move up.

Quote:
Honest question, do you fault a team's management for quitting on a season and preparing for their future, or just players? Was Bill Polian a quitter with no work ethic for telling Manning to take a seat and tanking the Colt's 2011 season so they could "suck for Luck?"
Given that Manning was not medically cleared to play 2011, you've presented a false analogy. In any event preparing for the future isn't the same thing at all as broadly as you have worded it. For instance the FA QB market sucked rocks this offseason. If the Texans don't like any of the draft QBs then even though QB is a giant need the team will be better built by waiting a year rather than forcing the need. That's not sucking just to protect yourself. It's playing the hand you were dealt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
That's all fine and well, but when and if you are able to find some big boy pants and make a decision on your own about who you would advise the Texans to select with their 1.1, get back to us. In the meantime, sure of course it's always easy and convenient to sit back and criticize others for their choice while remaining uncommitted on the sidelines yourself.
When you want to grow up and take your cheerleading costume off you can come eat at the adult table.
Old 04-17-2014   #2396
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Because of bone spurs? I think this type of clean up is about as minor as you can get given the location of the spurs. I think Doc even said it should be a minor surgery. DB had a similar clean up leading up to camp.

I don't know if I'm considered a "Clowney guy", but I still think he's the better option among the "top 3" QBs. Will I whine if a QB's taken 1-1? Nah.

Personally, I'd take Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Mathews or Robinson over the Qbs at 1-1. And I don't give a darn if we already have DB as our LT.
Old 04-17-2014   #2397
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

infantrycak - who would YOU take #1 this year? I don't recall you saying who you would take. Lets go with the assumption we cannot trade out down, whose name is on that card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #2398
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey I didn't throw you into the blind Clowney defender pool, you just jumped there.

His injury concerns alone make him a bigger risk than several other players. Putting aside the QBs Watkins and Robinson for instance are much safer picks. And I'm not saying Clowney is slag or does not have potential, he does. IMO his risks of injury primarily and then motivation mean other players would be better choices.

Agreed and I hope some team is willing to pay to move up

Given that Manning was not medically cleared to play 2011, you've presented a false analogy. In any event preparing for the future isn't the same thing at all as broadly as you have worded it. For instance the FA QB market sucked rocks this offseason. If the Texans don't like any of the draft QBs then even though QB is a giant need the team will be better built by waiting a year rather than forcing the need. That's not sucking just to protect yourself. It's playing the hand you were dealt.

When you want to grow up and take your cheerleading costume off you can come eat at the adult table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
infantrycak - who would YOU take #1 this year? I don't recall you saying who you would take. Lets go with the assumption we cannot trade out down, whose name is on that card?
I'm assuming the bolded above, which I have no problem at all
Old 04-17-2014   #2399
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Because of bone spurs? I think this type of clean up is about as minor as you can get given the location of the spurs. I think Doc even said it should be a minor surgery. DB had a similar clean up leading up to camp.
I have talked at length with Doc about this and it isn't that minor and more importantly the surgery does not fix the underlying cause. Look in the last few pages and Doc repeats that and that even with surgery Clowney may be playing with pain for his career. This would be a better risk if it wasn't the key body part but it is. Clowney is about burst. Gary Walker went from one of the best penetrating DTs around to out of the league in short order because of a related condition, turf toe.

Quote:
I don't know if I'm considered a "Clowney guy", but I still think he's the better option among the "top 3" QBs. Will I whine if a QB's taken 1-1? Nah.

Personally, I'd take Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Mathews or Robinson over the Qbs at 1-1. And I don't give a darn if we already have DB as our LT.
Overall that is where I am at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I don't pretend to be a QB guru. Overall I rank them TB, Manziel, Bortles. I think 1 of them will be an above average starter in the league but the best I can hope for beyond that is if the Texans take one at all, they pick the best one. Putting aside the QBs I would go Watkins.
Old 04-17-2014   #2400
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Putting aside the QBs I would go Watkins.
So Watkins? I could live with that.

But go ahead and throw me in the Clowney parade.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read