Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-06-2014   #2181
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
The deal breaker should be his pathetic production. I mean, aaron donald was doubled and schemed against,yet he dominated. Von sacks went down,yet his tfls and tackles went up. This is jake locker to me all over. I don't care about a guy jumping bags grabbing tennis balls. How does that help him get off a block and sack/harrass the qb?
Not doing the research but I believe Bruce Smith had 5 sacks as a Sr. at Va. Tech.

He had a pretty good career.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #2182
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
Clowney=Mercilus (sit on the bench for year #1) except he will play at Antonio's position.
Wrong!
Old 04-06-2014   #2183
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clowney=Mercilus (sit on the bench for year #1) except he will play at Antonio's position.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #2184
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Not doing the research but I believe Bruce Smith had 5 sacks as a Sr. at Va. Tech.

Bruce Smith has 22 sacks in one season at Va Tech which is 2 less than Clowneys career total. Bruce also had 71 tfl for over 500yds, but let's not bring that up. Btw, smith had 46 sacks in college. Its not even close. If you watch the tape of clowney from his freshman yr until now,he looks the exact same. His areas of weakness as a freshman still looks the same as a jr. Even his sophmore yr wen he had better production sack wise,his technique is still a huge question mark. Von Miller got better every yr even his last despite a small dip in his sack production. As stated before, I'm still puzzled on how so called analyst raise or drop guys based on pro days. Clowney is the type of guy who will always win getting off the bus with his shirt off. He will always look good doing drills in an open environment. His struggles are just effort on the field. I don't by into the notion guys can play redline all game and run down every play down the field. Richard Dent was known for not chasing every play. I just wanna know why clowney couldn't get off blocks? I wanna know why clowney couldn't transition his rush. I wanna know why even in a wide 9 he couldn't bend. That agle to the qb? When I didn't get the answers, I went back to his 2 previous seasons and guess what? He couldn't do those things either. These defencient areas were not 1 yr deals,they're consistent with his play.

Last edited by leebigeztx; 04-06-2014 at 07:50 AM.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #2185
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, well being flippant about research doesn't pay off.

As a senior Bruce Smith gained 25 lbs and had an "off" season with 16 sacks.

You were saying?
Old 04-06-2014   #2186
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans take Clowney and get production similar the MW per injury I'm ok. I just have major concerns that some people are saying Peppers lite and I'm seeing Vernon Ghoulston 2.0. I'm not seeing the safest pick or who will probably have the best career. To me that's Robinson and Watkins. If they're not going QB at one, I'd prefer one of those two.

My bigger concern isn't just his athleticism translating to the NFL more so the domino effect is has on who gets selected as a QB in this draft. Value shopping at the spot does not appeal to me at all. Of the second tier guys Jimmy G might have what it takes and Murray could be a Russell Wilson type gem in the third or fourth. Outside of that the prospects seem meh, but the guy in this class that is going to break hearts is Mettenberger. I want no part of drafting him.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #2187
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you take your brain out to play with it .... and lose it ?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2014   #2188
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I apologize,

I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Are the bone spurs a deal breaker for you and Clowney at 1-1?
Not a deal breaker..........just would only do so with the understanding the bone spur surgery would not be put off anymore (as it has been for the past few years).
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #2189
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
If the Texans take Clowney and get production similar the MW per injury I'm ok. I just have major concerns that some people are saying Peppers lite and I'm seeing Vernon Ghoulston 2.0. I'm not seeing the safest pick or who will probably have the best career. To me that's Robinson and Watkins. If they're not going QB at one, I'd prefer one of those two.

My bigger concern isn't just his athleticism translating to the NFL more so the domino effect is has on who gets selected as a QB in this draft. Value shopping at the spot does not appeal to me at all. Of the second tier guys Jimmy G might have what it takes and Murray could be a Russell Wilson type gem in the third or fourth. Outside of that the prospects seem meh, but the guy in this class that is going to break hearts is Mettenberger. I want no part of drafting him.
Not so fast there about Robinson, because even though he's off the planet when it comes to being a run-blocker, he's really got rather limited experience as a pass-blocker do to the kind of offense Auburn operates out of and so IMO there's some real uncertainty about him being a potential #1 overall value ? Re Watkins, he's a tremendous prospect, has everything except ideal size as a potential #1 WR, but receivers aren't at a position worthy of being rated of premium value.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #2190
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm spending several hours today watching clips on draftbreakdown.com, and I just finished the South Carolina/UCF game. The Clowney gets doubled teamed every down is as mythological as the Mario Williams gets double-teamed every down.

They are scheming against him, but he's doubled about 30%, and gets a small chip another 30%. I'm assuming that will hold up with other games, but we'll see.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #2191
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bruce Smith has 22 sacks in one season at Va Tech which is 2 less than Clowneys career total. Bruce also had 71 tfl for over 500yds, but let's not bring that up. Btw, smith had 46 sacks in college. Its not even close. If you watch the tape of clowney from his freshman yr until now,he looks the exact same. His areas of weakness as a freshman still looks the same as a jr. Even his sophmore yr wen he had better production sack wise,his technique is still a huge question mark. Von Miller got better every yr even his last despite a small dip in his sack production. As stated before, I'm still puzzled on how so called analyst raise or drop guys based on pro days. Clowney is the type of guy who will always win getting off the bus with his shirt off. He will always look good doing drills in an open environment. His struggles are just effort on the field. I don't by into the notion guys can play redline all game and run down every play down the field. Richard Dent was known for not chasing every play. I just wanna know why clowney couldn't get off blocks? I wanna know why clowney couldn't transition his rush. I wanna know why even in a wide 9 he couldn't bend. That agle to the qb? When I didn't get the answers, I went back to his 2 previous seasons and guess what? He couldn't do those things either. These defencient areas were not 1 yr deals,they're consistent with his play.
Clowney's teammates/ex-teammates/coaches don't seem to share your concerns.
Old 04-06-2014   #2192
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I'm spending several hours today watching clips on draftbreakdown.com, and I just finished the South Carolina/UCF game. The Clowney gets doubled teamed every down is as mythological as the Mario Williams gets double-teamed every down.

They are scheming against him, but he's doubled about 30%, and gets a small chip another 30%. I'm assuming that will hold up with other games, but we'll see.
Getting extra attention 60% of the time and while watching how many time when they weren't giving extra attention to Clowney did they trap/run/screen away from him?

Using your numbers Clowney /Watt seems like a pretty formidable duo.
Old 04-06-2014   #2193
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, well being flippant about research doesn't pay off.

As a senior Bruce Smith gained 25 lbs and had an "off" season with 16 sacks.

You were saying?
Not flippant,

Just lazy
Old 04-06-2014   #2194
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not flippant,

Just lazy
I'll admit it was harder to find than normal. For some reason most sources lump his college stats together. Finally dawned on me to check the College Football HoF.
Old 04-06-2014   #2195
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clowney's teammates/ex-teammates/coaches don't seem to share your concerns.
To be fair, David Carr's teammates / coaches thought the world of him too.

It's all a big crapshoot. Even moreso when your production dips very noticeably.
Old 04-06-2014   #2196
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting extra attention 60% of the time and while watching how many time when they weren't giving extra attention to Clowney did they trap/run/screen away from him?

Using your numbers Clowney /Watt seems like a pretty formidable duo.
So devin taylor and sutton were scrubs? You're reaching like bruce smith 5 sacks as a senior.
Old 04-06-2014   #2197
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So devin taylor and sutton were scrubs? You're reaching like bruce smith 5 sacks as a senior.
Gotta say South Carolina had a pretty salty defense. With Clowney as the lynchpin.
Old 04-07-2014   #2198
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 8288 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Did you take your brain out to play with it .... and lose it ?!
No, but I didn't say what I meant very well. If the Texans draft Clowney in the first round, he will probably not be thought of as an OLB. He will be a DE. If he is drafted as a OLB he will spend his first year as a sub.

He will be probably thought of a replacement for B Reed, when the team may cut Reed loose as a FE, as they did when they drafted Mercilous as a replacement for Connor.

Last edited by Lambert; 04-07-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #2199
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Study
*Right off the bat, Clowney’s 2012 sack campaign looks like it received the most total help from his teammates. A whopping 69% of his sacks came with pressure from a teammate, notably current NFL player*Devin Taylor
That's from the guy who does the metrics on players
Old 04-07-2014   #2200
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, but I didn't say what I meant very well. If the Texans draft Clowney in the first round, he will probably not be thought of as an OLB. He will be a DE. If he is drafted as a OLB he will spend his first year as a sub.

He will be probably thought of a replacement for B Reed, when the team may cut Reed loose as a FE, as they did when they drafted Mercilous as a replacement for Connor.
They aren't going to take clowney #1 overall and have him be brooks reed's sub. Not happening.

And the regime that drafted Mercilus to sit and learn isn't here anymore. The "they" that did that is no longer relevant.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read