Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-03-2014   #2061
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Your logic is on point. If there are only "good" QBs who are likely to turn into shoot you take Clowney.

However, you speak as if this is a fact, that they are all just good. What if I told you that I don't agree with your opinion that you are pushing as fact?

This thread has gone on for over 100 pages and this same post you just wrote has been written on every single one of those 100 pages.

I just want to break it to you and the next guy that posts this same exact thing on page 104. Your opinion is not fact.

If everybody in this draft sucks and Clowney is the only good person in the draft, I will draft Clowney with my #1 pick. Boom! Game changing analysis for you.
I'd tell you that anyone who takes anything I say on this subject as fact is a fool. I'm a fan. I don't do mock drafts, nobody pays me for my opinion, and I am frequently wrong. If I sound as though I think this is a fact then that is merely because it is the way I see this and I feel strongly about it. That's really all. Everyone on here is voicing an opinion and they're all making their case for why their particular opinion is probably right. I'm no different.

Don't get so wound up about it. You don't know a ****ing thing and neither do I. I understand that. Do you?
Old 04-03-2014   #2062
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYd29xlmc04

No I wouldn't make a Julio trade . The reason Atlanta is still is suffering today is because of giving up so much for Julio. Five picks is just to many and why give up any picks at all when you don't have to. I am also of the opinion that Jeremiah Attaochu could be a better NFL player than Clowney. Giving up 5 picks for a WR was absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How many play off games did Atlanta win before they drafted Julio Jones?
I think Atlanta should be our trade target. They could use Clowney in the worst way, he's from the region so it might help with bringing Gamecock fans from the Panthers over to the Falcons, and they have a history of doing this. If we could end up with 13 picks or so I'd be ecstatic.
Dan B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #2063
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'd tell you that anyone who takes anything I say on this subject as fact is a fool. I'm a fan. I don't do mock drafts, nobody pays me for my opinion, and I am frequently wrong. If I sound as though I think this is a fact then that is merely because it is the way I see this and I feel strongly about it. That's really all. Everyone on here is voicing an opinion and they're all making their case for why their particular opinion is probably right. I'm no different.

Don't get so wound up about it. You don't know a ****ing thing and neither do I. I understand that. Do you?
Good post, Herv. +Rep.
Old 04-03-2014   #2064
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
See,this is me. I don't have to create excuses for jf,bb,or tb even with a bad game here or there. For some reason,we have Neo of college football,yet his teammates trumped him in every defensive category. Now before the defenders of supafreak starts lying about the doubles and line shift, von miler had moore and porter and neither trumped his production. Mario played with manny lawson and tank tyler and neither trumped his production. Peppers had guys on the line with him,again none trumped his production. Kelcy Quarles had more tackles,tfls and trippled his sack production,but it was because of clowney?

See,this is my big issue. I'm 43, and I've never seen a supposed top pick have to be defended like clowney.Imagine if luck would've thrown for 50% and 2k yds with a upside td/int ratio. We have never had a so called top prospect have such a dog of a year and people are acting like it didn't happen. We're not talking about ansah who was came from another country and didn't even play football until track wasn't a option. We're talking about a guy whom we've known about since he was 13. If people were being honest and watched his 2012 games like I did,you will see the same guy.The diference was teams realize what he can't do which is what nfl teams will. We've seen mark anderson get 12 sacks as a rookie upfield rusher then be basically avg after that. We've seen kearse go from the freak to just a guy because of no counter move. The trend on clowney is going the wrong direction.

On a side note, no team will double clowney until he proves he can beat single blocks. If you've watched enough games of clowney, you will know he has trouble doing it even at the college level. Go watch his 4.5 sack performance vs clemson in 2012.
Spectacular post! I really don't get how more posters don't see it like this.

Like you said, I have never seen a guy raved about like Clowney that people have had to make this many excuses for. As the article I posted yesterday said, Clowney has no pass rush moves except what they call his slap and arm-over move.

I am no draft expert. I am not claiming that I am. But I just can't imagine drafting a guy a 1.1 that had 3 sacks as a pass rushing defensive end. It just seems silly to me. Clowney is nearly every bit the project that Johnny Manziel is. The only thing with Johnny is there are ZERO questions regarding his heart. Talk about character concerns all you want (which I still find ridiculous) but there is not one objective person that has ever watched him, played against him, or played with him that would ever question his heart. Can the same be said about Clowney? No.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #2065
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Clowney is nearly every bit the project that Johnny Manziel is. The only thing with Johnny is there are ZERO questions regarding his heart. Talk about character concerns all you want (which I still find ridiculous) but there is not one objective person that has ever watched him, played against him, or played with him that would ever question his heart. Can the same be said about Clowney? No.
Uh... Clowney is 6'6"
Old 04-03-2014   #2066
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I think Atlanta should be our trade target. They could use Clowney in the worst way, he's from the region so it might help with bringing Gamecock fans from the Panthers over to the Falcons, and they have a history of doing this. If we could end up with 13 picks or so I'd be ecstatic.

Trading up from 6 to 1 would probably cost more than two extra picks I would think. I'm all for trading back though, it needs to happen.
Old 04-03-2014   #2067
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Spectacular post! I really don't get how more posters don't see it like this.

Like you said, I have never seen a guy raved about like Clowney that people have had to make this many excuses for. As the article I posted yesterday said, Clowney has no pass rush moves except what they call his slap and arm-over move.

I am no draft expert. I am not claiming that I am. But I just can't imagine drafting a guy a 1.1 that had 3 sacks as a pass rushing defensive end. It just seems silly to me. Clowney is nearly every bit the project that Johnny Manziel is. The only thing with Johnny is there are ZERO questions regarding his heart. Talk about character concerns all you want (which I still find ridiculous) but there is not one objective person that has ever watched him, played against him, or played with him that would ever question his heart. Can the same be said about Clowney? No.
Maybe you don't get it bro....

I'm no expert.... but Clowney is the greatest athlete to ever enter the NFL draft and there will never be anyone else like him. No one is comparable to him. He doesn't need swim moves or bend cause he doesn't need them to still be the greatest ever. Have you seen that hit he put on the Michigan RB in 2012? 2013 didn't count dude, double teams, playing not to get hurt, schemed against, sad cause Lattimore broke his leg, not his fault, sick, ramble ramble. Since we don't need to spend #1 on a RT or another WR and all the QBs suck by default you take the guy who will be all pro for the next 12 years.

I hope you were taking notes son, you just got schooled.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2014   #2068
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm no expert.... but Clowney is the greatest athlete to ever enter the NFL draft and there will never be anyone else like him. No one is comparable to him. He doesn't need swim moves or bend cause he doesn't need them to still be the greatest ever. Have you seen that hit he put on the Michigan RB in 2012? 2013 didn't count dude, double teams, playing not to get hurt, schemed against, sad cause Lattimore broke his leg, not his fault, sick, ramble ramble. Since we don't need to spend #1 on a RT or another WR and all the QBs suck by default you take the guy who will be all pro for the next 12 years.

The thing is, every top prospect has warts. Some maybe more than Clowney, some less. Every one of them gets their fair share of defenders glossing over their weak points and pumping up their strong points.

Maybe Clowney has more excuses made for his weak points than others, maybe not. It's really hard to quantify since none of us have access to the same excuse-o-meter that y'all are using to validate your opinions.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #2069
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many play off games did Atlanta win before they drafted Julio Jones?
and as a result of their win NOW at all cost strategy, what # draft pick do they've today?
Old 04-03-2014   #2070
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Even jumping bags, Clowney wows 'em; LINK

Quote:
Taneyhill, now the head coach of Union (S.C.) High School, stood there and shook his head.

"Just wow!" he said.

Every team in the NFL needs a "wow" player, but none more than the Houston Texans, who have the first pick of the draft. As Clowney reminded, he has never been a part of a losing team and South Carolina never won more than 10 games before he arrived.

The Gamecocks were 11-2 every year he was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #2071
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uh... Clowney is 6'6"
Huh? I said "heart" not "height." Did I miss something?

Quote:

Classic! Rep to you!
Old 04-03-2014   #2072
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as "interviews" go, Clowney's was as strong as anyone else. I think the key is that his was not scripted. He had to follow instructions from pro coaches and did not know what he was going to be asked to do before his pro day. And just about everyone came away convinced that the "heart question" has been resolved and is now a non-issue.
Old 04-03-2014   #2073
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
As far as "interviews" go, Clowney's was as strong as anyone else. I think the key is that his was not scripted. He had to follow instructions from pro coaches and did not know what he was going to be asked to do before his pro day. And just about everyone came away convinced that the "heart question" has been resolved and is now a non-issue.
It's funny how pro days and interviews don't convince anyone of anything in regards to Manziel. But somehow with Clowney, it addresses all of the concerns.
Old 04-03-2014   #2074
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's funny how pro days and interviews don't convince anyone of anything in regards to Manziel. But somehow with Clowney, it addresses all of the concerns.
It's a lot harder to pick up tennis balls on the run after jumping over bags than it is to run around a broom. Just sayin.
Old 04-03-2014   #2075
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15379 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

If there's no trade, I would be very surprised if Clowney wasn't the pick. Antonio was let to walk. JJ can't do it by himself. I really think Houston would be the best organization for Clowney to be drafted to. The class and work ethic from O'Brien and Watt would have to rub off on him. Clowney probably wouldn't feel like the spotlight was solely on him. The defense would be immediately upgraded and gives OB more possessions with the ball (Does anyone else love the idea of OB calling the plays? Balls. He has them.)

It just makes too much sense for me.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #2076
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I', sure Josenna Clowney, Jadeven's mother, is probably cheering those millions of fans out there fixing to knock those Doritos off Manziel's shoulder...........she'll enjoy her work that much more..............she's a processing technician at the Frito-Lay plant in nearby Charlotte............she helps make Doritos.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #2077
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Judging by the analysts on NFLN, they both convinced people on their pro days.
Old 04-03-2014   #2078
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
It's a lot harder to pick up tennis balls on the run after jumping over bags than it is to run around a broom. Just sayin.
It's a lot harder to hit a receiver in stride 40 yards downfield while rolling out than it is to jump over bags....even picking up balls as you run afterward. Just sayin.
Old 04-03-2014   #2079
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
It's a lot harder to hit a receiver in stride 40 yards downfield while rolling out than it is to jump over bags....even picking up balls as you run afterward. Just sayin.
I just wish Clowney would of came out with his helmet and shoulder pads on. Then there would be no question who should go number one.
Old 04-03-2014   #2080
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Judging by the analysts on NFLN, they both convinced people on their pro days.
I'm cool with that, as long as people are consistent. I won't name names, but there have been those on the board that ranted against using pro days and interviews to justify drafting a player, but then claim Clowney's pro day sealed the deal. Just remain consistent.

As for me, yes Clowney had a good pro day and good interviews. He said all the right things. But when I look at the stats and the tape, I see an athletic freak that commits to the bull rush or the speed rush but really has no counter moves when the offensive line adjusts.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read