Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2013   #41
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Our Offensive Line Sucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Why not offensive linemen who protect those qbs and stop those pass rushers? If your philosophy on building a team prevents you from taking the most talented player at a position of need, your philosophy is broken. I can agree with your sentiment a bit because i'd start breaking things and setting fires if we drafted a kicker #1 overall for instance. But if a tackle is the best talent you grab him (why can't we plug him in at rt for a couple of seasons before moving him to Lt? ) Is this tackle philosophy of yours exclusive to right tackles , and you'd consider a lt #1overall?

It's awkward to see a Texans fan die hard about not drafting a lineman #1 overall after our teams illustrious early history and the crippling effect it had on Carr.

Why am I reminded of the arguments for not drafting Julius Peppers because we ran a 3-4? If you can't find a place for superior talent your scheme needs to be overhauled. My thoughts here are not in favor of Mathews and against anyone else. It's purely conceptual. If bridge is the best, cool, draft him. If a tackle is clearly the best, draft him.
I would take Gabe Jackson and hope Ques or Williams can play RT . Something about lining up two agile 340 lb guards and plowing forward .
Old 12-21-2013   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I would take Gabe Jackson and hope Ques or Williams can play RT . Something about lining up two agile 340 lb guards and plowing forward .
I could get on board with this. Especially because Ques will be a better RT than LG. IMHO

Ques has a OT body type more than a OG body type. Tall and lean as opposed to shorter/stockier/more weight OG's.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #43
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I could get on board with this. Especially because Ques will be a better RT than LG. IMHO

Ques has a OT body type more than a OG body type. Tall and lean as opposed to shorter/stockier/more weight OG's.
Being that DEs tend to be lighter and quicker , I think you don't have to have the weight for OT .
Old 12-21-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Heavy flow day? Sip some cranberry juice you should be fine.
Menopause? That why you jealous?

Quote:
What I don't want is Eric Fisher 2.0 and Matthews is severely overrated around these parts.

First picks are for QBs and pass rushers, you know players that can dictate a game.
Anytime you pick for need, QB, pass rusher, RT you're more than likely to have an Eric Fisher 2.0, Blaine Gabbert 2.0, Jamarcus Russel 2.0, Marcell Darius 2.0, Gerald McCoy 2.0, Chris Long 2.0,

Not seeing many LBs in the top 5, but the ones who were..... wow.
Old 12-21-2013   #45
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First picks are for QBs and pass rushers, you know players that can dictate a game.
Yes, well 32 GM's around the league have disagreed with you since the NFL's existence.

If you think that a top LT can't be as important to "a game" as any pass rusher at any pass rushing position well you have a lot to learn. Pass rushers aren't so important on running plays. A great tackle is extremely important on running plays and passing plays. The effect the entire game on every single play. Most fans ignore the importance of it though, because when they're watching they normally aren't focusing on the action of all the things a tackle has to do in order to allow the play to be executed. There is a reason why the LT position is the 2nd/3rd highest paid position in football.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yes, well 32 GM's around the league have disagreed with you since the NFL's existence.

If you think that a top LT can't be as important to "a game" as any pass rusher at any pass rushing position well you have a lot to learn. Pass rushers aren't so important on running plays. A great tackle is extremely important on running plays and passing plays. The effect the entire game on every single play. Most fans ignore the importance of it though, because when they're watching they normally aren't focusing on the action of all the things a tackle has to do in order to allow the play to be executed. There is a reason why the LT position is the 2nd/3rd highest paid position in football.
Also, its harder to find the ideal prototype player as he has a pretty unique body type and the feet that have to go along with it. The ideal prototype guys are hard to pass on when available since protecting the blind side is as important as rushing the blindside. You don't find these guys later in the draft usually.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Heavy flow day? Sip some cranberry juice you should be fine...
This isn't helping dispel the impression that you're confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I would think lower extremity injuries impacting a lineman's ability to slide, drop or move forward would explain a drop in performance... This is Newton's 2nd full year as a starter. I wish I could find where I compared his first three years to first rounder Brown. DB almost always had a solid LG playing next to him not so RG for Newton.
Are you arguing for Newton as our RT of the future? I'm not seeing it -- not in Kubiak's offense, anyway. Newt hasn't shown me similar physical/mental tools that Brown has.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2013   #48
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Also, its harder to find the ideal prototype player as he has a pretty unique body type and the feet that have to go along with it. The ideal prototype guys are hard to pass on when available since protecting the blind side is as important as rushing the blindside. You don't find these guys later in the draft usually.
Ditto Vinny.

The tackle position is just such a boring and "non sexy" position to most fans. Hell, at times I under appreciate it myself. I mean who really wants to see your early pick go towards some big Olineman that you normally don't watch during the game, because you are focusing on the QB making pass rushers miss and making great throws to athletic receivers?? No one wants to get excited for that, but realistically all of those things can't happen consistently without those important pieces upfront in the trenches. We tend not to focus on those bad ass pancake plays by the lineman and those extra 2 seconds they allow the QB to make that great throw, but it's just as important to the puzzle for that big play to happen. I hate the idea of using this early pick on a lineman, but deep down I know how important it is and as long as the Texans end up with a BPA type of Olineman that is worthy of a top 5 pick, then it's probably a great move and a safe move.

I can't help but wonder how the Texans history might have ended up differently if Boselli wouldn't have been a lemon when we drafted him in the expansion draft. Imagine if we would have played in top form for a just a few years.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #49
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I didnt expect to have to retort to a quasi education on the importance of a LT. I just assumed that much was known, my comments have been case specific to the Houston Texans, and not general knowledge. People here want to take the best lineman in college who IMO isnt a lock to be anything special, and stick him on the right side of the line, and then casually move him to the left side of the line whenever our TRUE stud LT regresses or retires? Thats crazy. You can find what you need in FA, and address an exponentially more important area of need with a most dynamic talent at that position, be that on offense or defense. You have the 1st pick!!

Who exactly is this all world OL supposed to block for again? Who's leading this team moving forward? Thats the burning question facing this team, not losing sleep on where to find interior linemen or average RTs.

Same on defense, outside of Watt there are ZERO talented pass rushers on this team. OLB/DE wouldnt upset me. I'm not arguing the needs of the team, maybe the order of importance more than anything. QB,Pass Rusher,LT,ILB,C,WR,CB,S,Interior Linemen,Special teams and you go best talent available that fits the most pressing need on that list.
Old 12-21-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
...you go best talent available that fits the most pressing need on that list.
I think that's how we got to where we are right now. I think we should just go BPA. Being over-talented can't hurt us. Even if the BPA is a WR (though I doubt it).

No position on this team should be a lock for anyone. We take the best tackle available & if that means Duane Brown becomes an overpaid RT.... so be it. We take the best ILB available & if he's better than Cushing.... so be it.

I don't want to take the best pass rusher because we need a pass rusher, because we're still screwed if he's only average.... we need someone better than average, we've got average.

Instead, two badass ILBs would help this team better than 1 avg pass rusher. Two badass OTs would help this team better than an avg rookie QB.
Old 12-21-2013   #51
Lucky

Rep Power: 102976 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He still only gets 2nd worst OT in Texans history. Victor "turnstile" Riley wins that contest.
Unfortunately, there has been fierce competition for the title over the years.

Schaub couldn't move. Keenum couldn't find the receivers. The receivers couldn't uncover. The RBs couldn't find holes that rarely opened or break tackles. And oh yeah, the line sucked. The perfect storm.

One of the guys responsible for this mess is gone. Yet, the other gets to keep his job? Hmmm. I still think it's fixable. McNair just needs to find the right repairman.
Old 12-21-2013   #52
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Wade smith is the weakest link to the line TBO Yeah netwon is ..well yeah but we got two rookies behind him I think quesnberry and that other dude

and I think Brooks will get better obvs

I do think we might need a new center and LG only because if u bring in a new QB usually u bring in a new Center and have them grow together
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read