Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"Our Offensive Line Sucks"

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I'm no stats geek, maybe someone can try to make sense of this listing. I thought this years line was horrible, so I'm confused.

6th best line?? So then the only thing left to bash is coaching? Strange.
We do have three pro bowlers up front including arguably the best left tackle in the game. All we need is an upgrade at right tackle and I'd argue we would have the best offensive line in the game. The entire team had a down year. I wouldn't expect them to play this poorly next season.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

I'm no stats geek, maybe someone can try to make sense of this listing. I thought this years line was horrible, so I'm confused.

It's 6th best in one rushing category - adj. line yards. Look across at the other rankings and you see 28th in power (can't get 3rd and 1) 17th in getting stuffed, 10th in getting to the 2nd level (which they are supposed to excel at) and 12th in pass pro.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
It's 6th best in one rushing category - adj. line yards. Look across at the other rankings and you see 28th in power (can't get 3rd and 1) 17th in getting stuffed, 10th in getting to the 2nd level (which they are supposed to excel at) and 12th in pass pro.
No Arian Foster and poor decision making at quarterback are more to blame. We didn't dominate some areas you typically expect to see from the Texans. Running the ball, play-action passes, even those short screens to Arian that turned into big plays. None of that was there in 2013.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
It just makes me wonder how the awful QB play and injured RBs have affected the tangible evidence. Eyeball tests are very inconclusive at times.

I agree that even an average RT would create a massive difference, but also solidifies my opinion that you do not waste a top pick on a lineman. Find a guy on the cheap in FA.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
As a unit, the Texans offensive line only ranks 24th/32 in Pass Blocking Efficiency -- a weighted formula that combines sacks, hits and hurries (with hits and hurries three quarters the worth) relative to how many snaps an offensive line stays in pass protection.

Duane Brown was injured early and is having an off year for him. He went from 5th/76 (2011) to 2nd/80 (2012) to 25th/78 YTD 2013.

Wade Smith is having a poor year and looks old at 32 and needs to be replaced.

Chris Myers is rated 1st/36 Centers.

Brandon Brooks is having an improved year:
Brandon Brooks is quietly having a good season.

PFF rates Brooks at 10th/77 Guards overall and 2nd/77 in run blocking. His pass blocking rating is where he needs to improve, rated 39th/77. (>25% snaps, before MNF)...
Derek Newton is having another bad year, 71st/78 Tackles, and Ryan Harris is at best average.

Only thing Newt has going for him is he's rated ahead of Eric Winston, who's 73rd/78.

All ratings by PFF, >25% offensive snaps, overall performance except where noted.

Uncle Rico

As a unit, the Texans offensive line only ranks 24th/32 in Pass Blocking Efficiency -- a weighted formula that combines sacks, hits and hurries (with hits and hurries three quarters the worth) relative to how many snaps an offensive line stays in pass protection.

Duane Brown was injured early and is having an off year for him. He went from 5th/76 (2011) to 2nd/80 (2012) to 25th/78 YTD 2013.

Wade Smith is having a poor year and looks old at 32 and needs to be replaced.

Chris Myers is rated 1st/36 Centers.

Brandon Brooks is having an improved year:

Derek Newton is having another bad year, 71st/78 Tackles, and Ryan Harris is at best average.

Only thing Newt has going for him is he's rated ahead of Eric Winston, who's 73rd/78.

All ratings by PFF, >25% offensive snaps, overall performance except where noted.
How much of that is QBs holding onto the ball too long?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Interesting that Brown is mentioned as having injuries but not Wade Smith or Newton. Fair is fair except on MB.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
I don't pay any attention to Football Outsiders stats. They invent new categories that have little relevance to what actually happens on the field IMO.

I remember somebody bringing up the DVOA stat in the 2009 (2nd 8-8 record in a row) season to make a case for how well the team was performing.

Their stats always seem to run counter to common sense.

I would like to see fat Randy get a shot on the offensive line. I don't know how much weight he'd have to shed to be effective but if we stop running the ZBS and need a big fat mauler, he might be worth looking into.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Lot of people critisize the current regime for not getting the problems on the right side of our OLine fixed - wrong ! They drafted 2 OLineman last year, using a 3rd round pick on one of them. Of course both of those rookies (Brennan Williams & David Quessenberry), ended up on IR early. Most Texans know this, but some don't. Hey they tried, but injuries-shi? just happens, can't be helped.

bah007

Hall of Fame
It's hard to have good pass blocking efficiency when your QB holds the ball for days. I agree that the OL isn't as bad as some make it seem, but we still need to upgrade at LG and RT.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Interesting that Brown is mentioned as having injuries but not Wade Smith or Newton. Fair is fair except on MB.
Duane's injury was mentioned to explain some of his dropoff from being at the top of the league, that (hopefully) this year is an outlier.

Wade's injury does not explain his decline from 2010 when he was rated 3rd/82 to 2011 63rd/78 to 2012 28th/81, so it wasn't mentioned.

Newton's injury certainly too has impacted his production, but wasn't mentioned because it alone can't explain his poor performance overall 65th/80 2012 & 71st/78 ytd.

How much of that is QBs holding onto the ball too long?
That can explain some of it, sure: For instance Case Keenum is rated 38th/40 in time to attempt a pass at 2.97 seconds. Peyton is 4th @ 2.34 and Brady is 6th at 2.39 seconds, for reference.

Now there's a lot of reasons why the many "QB time" statistics can be skewed: scrambling, scheme, 3/5/7 step drops, dink & dunk vs. down-field passing, % rollouts, slow/fast reads, etc. So it's difficult to put it all into a number that answers the question.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well, if the old saying about a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, then this line sucks because Newton has got to be one of the worst RTs in the league.

The one play that really stands out as a sterling example of Newton's suckiness was the first play of the game after a kickoff (can't remember opponent, all the losses sort of blur together). But, Keenum barely took a three step drop before Newton's completely blown block caused Keenum to get stripped and fumbled in the EZ.

Yeah, QBs are part of the problem, but there are too many times that we've seen Newton get completely manhandled to place all the blame on QBs.

However, that said, I think this line could be fixed by next year if Newton is replaced and they get a good line coach.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Keenum holds onto the ball too long. There's no disputing that. Young QBs have a tendency to do that anyway. The problem with the OL is not the sacks that are the QBs fault. It's the ones that happen all too frequently where Newton actually gets out of the way of the guy he's supposed to block, or the interior linemen mix up an assignment and you get inside pressure untouched. There's only so much you can blame on the OL, and there's only so much you can blame on the QB. Newton does not belong in the NFL at all. Brandon Brooks has issues in pass pro, but you can tell he belongs and may actually improve. Wade Smith no longer belongs in a starting lineup. That's three of your five OL that can't pass protect worth a damn, and Myers has problems whenever he faces a NT that outweighs him (which is often). So that's 4 OL that have issues in pass pro. One of them is probably going to break down on any given pass play.

And Newton .... seriously. A traffic cone would prove to be more of an obstacle on some of his lowlights.

Uncle Rico

Interesting also that as awful as Newton has been he is rated above Fisher the top pick last year. I wonder how Fisher grades out vs Matthews this year and if that gives those people who want to go the conservative route with the top pick any hesitation.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
More than likely it's talent and coaching combined to produce the disaster that is our O-line this year.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Duane's injury was mentioned to explain some of his dropoff from being at the top of the league, that (hopefully) this year is an outlier.

Wade's injury does not explain his decline from 2010 when he was rated 3rd/82 to 2011 63rd/78 to 2012 28th/81, so it wasn't mentioned.

Newton's injury certainly too has impacted his production, but wasn't mentioned because it alone can't explain his poor performance overall 65th/80 2012 & 71st/78 ytd.

That can explain some of it, sure: For instance Case Keenum is rated 38th/40 in time to attempt a pass at 2.97 seconds. Peyton is 4th @ 2.34 and Brady is 6th at 2.39 seconds, for reference.

Now there's a lot of reasons why the many "QB time" statistics can be skewed: scrambling, scheme, 3/5/7 step drops, dink & dunk vs. down-field passing, % rollouts, slow/fast reads, etc. So it's difficult to put it all into a number that answers the question.
I would think lower extremity injuries impacting a lineman's ability to slide, drop or move forward would explain a drop in performance. A QB having injury to throwing arm would impact his performance similarly. This is Newton's 2nd full year as a starter. I wish I could find where I compared his first three years to first rounder Brown. DB almost always had a solid LG playing next to him not so RG for Newton.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Seth Wand has to get Honorable mention at least!!:kubepalm:
Alum of Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Mo and a native of Springfield, Mo ! 3rd round Draft pick in what, the 2004 Draft ? Remember him well.

utahmark

markbeth
It just makes me wonder how the awful QB play and injured RBs have affected the tangible evidence. Eyeball tests are very inconclusive at times.

I agree that even an average RT would create a massive difference, but also solidifies my opinion that you do not waste a top pick on a lineman. Find a guy on the cheap in FA.
I think just the opposite. Build your offense with great lineman and go from there. The old Oilers drafted some great lineman with early picks in the early 80s that solidified their offense for over a decade. You need two or three talented lineman to build around. I think our poor line play this year was the begining of our downfall.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I think just the opposite. Build your offense with great lineman and go from there. The old Oilers drafted some great lineman with early picks in the early 80s that solidified their offense for over a decade. You need two or three talented lineman to build around. I think our poor line play this year was the begining of our downfall.
:perfect10:

Thank you! I have no qualms whatsoever in taking an RT with the first pick. Everyone says, "let's get an RT with a 3rd round pick on the cheap".

Yeah, how's that working out for us?

People who don't understand the importance of a good offensive line, is (repeating myself now) in that block of fans who think drafting a lineman with the top pick isn't sexy enough for the their 'entertainment'. They'd rather draft the next "franchise" QB and watch him turn into a turtle.

Screw that. SCREW THAT!!

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Thank you! I have no qualms whatsoever in taking an RT with the first pick. Everyone says, "let's get an RT with a 3rd round pick on the cheap".

Yeah, how's that working out for us?
Well since we don't have a 3rd round pick at RT, right now it isn't working at all. When we did have a 3rd round pick at RT it worked pretty darn well with seasons leading the league in passing and one in rushing.

Also, there is a round in between the 1st and 3rd.

Now how many top 10 of the 1st RTs do you see in the league? - 0.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

If Arian were playing, like he was just before he got hurt, & Schaub wasn't turning the ball over like he was before he got hurt, & the defense was shutting the other team down like they were a long time ago.... our OL issue wouldn't be so glaring.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No doubt.

Don't forget Arian Foster was an undrafted FA, so we don't need to pick a RB either.

Andy Dalton was a 2nd rounder, so was Kaepernic. Russell Wilson went in the third. Tony Romo was a 5th rounder, & Tom Brady was a 6th..... so we can find a QB later as well.

Navarro Bowman was a 4th rounder (I think), Seann Lee was undrafted. James Harrison was undrafted, so we can find ILBs & outside pass rushers later in the draft.

Owen Daniels was a 4th round pick.

We should just give away our first round pick, we don't need it.

Uncle Rico

No doubt.

Don't forget Arian Foster was an undrafted FA, so we don't need to pick a RB either.

Andy Dalton was a 2nd rounder, so was Kaepernic. Russell Wilson went in the third. Tony Romo was a 5th rounder, & Tom Brady was a 6th..... so we can find a QB later as well.

Navarro Bowman was a 4th rounder (I think), Seann Lee was undrafted. James Harrison was undrafted, so we can find ILBs & outside pass rushers later in the draft.

Owen Daniels was a 4th round pick.

We should just give away our first round pick, we don't need it.
Heavy flow day? Sip some cranberry juice you should be fine.

What I don't want is Eric Fisher 2.0 and Matthews is severely overrated around these parts.

First picks are for QBs and pass rushers, you know players that can dictate a game.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

What I don't want is Eric Fisher 2.0 and Matthews is severely overrated around these parts.

First picks are for QBs and pass rushers, you know players that can dictate a game.
Why not offensive linemen who protect those qbs and stop those pass rushers? If your philosophy on building a team prevents you from taking the most talented player at a position of need, your philosophy is broken. I can agree with your sentiment a bit because i'd start breaking things and setting fires if we drafted a kicker #1 overall for instance. But if a tackle is the best talent you grab him (why can't we plug him in at rt for a couple of seasons before moving him to Lt? ) Is this tackle philosophy of yours exclusive to right tackles , and you'd consider a lt #1overall?

It's awkward to see a Texans fan die hard about not drafting a lineman #1 overall after our teams illustrious early history and the crippling effect it had on Carr.

Why am I reminded of the arguments for not drafting Julius Peppers because we ran a 3-4? If you can't find a place for superior talent your scheme needs to be overhauled. My thoughts here are not in favor of Mathews and against anyone else. It's purely conceptual. If bridge is the best, cool, draft him. If a tackle is clearly the best, draft him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

What you want is Teddy gonna be a bust Briidgewater. Regardless of if he would rank 4-5th in the 2015 QB class. Just gotta spend that 1-1 on a QB and live with the consequences for the next decade. You're blinded, in your mind is it Teddy or bust, am I correct?

Teddy, the only Teddy I was familiar with was my Teddy Bear. Of course that was my age 3-6 yrs. LOL

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well since we don't have a 3rd round pick at RT, right now it isn't working at all. When we did have a 3rd round pick at RT it worked pretty darn well with seasons leading the league in passing and one in rushing.

Also, there is a round in between the 1st and 3rd.

Now how many top 10 of the 1st RTs do you see in the league? - 0.
Well Rick did take a chance on an injured RT last yr B.Williams.

Good Job Rick.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Why not offensive linemen who protect those qbs and stop those pass rushers? If your philosophy on building a team prevents you from taking the most talented player at a position of need, your philosophy is broken. I can agree with your sentiment a bit because i'd start breaking things and setting fires if we drafted a kicker #1 overall for instance. But if a tackle is the best talent you grab him (why can't we plug him in at rt for a couple of seasons before moving him to Lt? ) Is this tackle philosophy of yours exclusive to right tackles , and you'd consider a lt #1overall?

It's awkward to see a Texans fan die hard about not drafting a lineman #1 overall after our teams illustrious early history and the crippling effect it had on Carr.

Why am I reminded of the arguments for not drafting Julius Peppers because we ran a 3-4? If you can't find a place for superior talent your scheme needs to be overhauled. My thoughts here are not in favor of Mathews and against anyone else. It's purely conceptual. If bridge is the best, cool, draft him. If a tackle is clearly the best, draft him.
I would take Gabe Jackson and hope Ques or Williams can play RT . Something about lining up two agile 340 lb guards and plowing forward .

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would take Gabe Jackson and hope Ques or Williams can play RT . Something about lining up two agile 340 lb guards and plowing forward .
I could get on board with this. Especially because Ques will be a better RT than LG. IMHO

Ques has a OT body type more than a OG body type. Tall and lean as opposed to shorter/stockier/more weight OG's.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
I could get on board with this. Especially because Ques will be a better RT than LG. IMHO

Ques has a OT body type more than a OG body type. Tall and lean as opposed to shorter/stockier/more weight OG's.
Being that DEs tend to be lighter and quicker , I think you don't have to have the weight for OT .

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Menopause? That why you jealous?

Anytime you pick for need, QB, pass rusher, RT you're more than likely to have an Eric Fisher 2.0, Blaine Gabbert 2.0, Jamarcus Russel 2.0, Marcell Darius 2.0, Gerald McCoy 2.0, Chris Long 2.0,

Not seeing many LBs in the top 5, but the ones who were..... wow.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Yes, well 32 GM's around the league have disagreed with you since the NFL's existence.

If you think that a top LT can't be as important to "a game" as any pass rusher at any pass rushing position well you have a lot to learn. Pass rushers aren't so important on running plays. A great tackle is extremely important on running plays and passing plays. The effect the entire game on every single play. Most fans ignore the importance of it though, because when they're watching they normally aren't focusing on the action of all the things a tackle has to do in order to allow the play to be executed. There is a reason why the LT position is the 2nd/3rd highest paid position in football.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Yes, well 32 GM's around the league have disagreed with you since the NFL's existence.

If you think that a top LT can't be as important to "a game" as any pass rusher at any pass rushing position well you have a lot to learn. Pass rushers aren't so important on running plays. A great tackle is extremely important on running plays and passing plays. The effect the entire game on every single play. Most fans ignore the importance of it though, because when they're watching they normally aren't focusing on the action of all the things a tackle has to do in order to allow the play to be executed. There is a reason why the LT position is the 2nd/3rd highest paid position in football.
Also, its harder to find the ideal prototype player as he has a pretty unique body type and the feet that have to go along with it. The ideal prototype guys are hard to pass on when available since protecting the blind side is as important as rushing the blindside. You don't find these guys later in the draft usually.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Heavy flow day? Sip some cranberry juice you should be fine...
This isn't helping dispel the impression that you're confused.

I would think lower extremity injuries impacting a lineman's ability to slide, drop or move forward would explain a drop in performance... This is Newton's 2nd full year as a starter. I wish I could find where I compared his first three years to first rounder Brown. DB almost always had a solid LG playing next to him not so RG for Newton.
Are you arguing for Newton as our RT of the future? I'm not seeing it -- not in Kubiak's offense, anyway. Newt hasn't shown me similar physical/mental tools that Brown has.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Also, its harder to find the ideal prototype player as he has a pretty unique body type and the feet that have to go along with it. The ideal prototype guys are hard to pass on when available since protecting the blind side is as important as rushing the blindside. You don't find these guys later in the draft usually.
Ditto Vinny.

The tackle position is just such a boring and "non sexy" position to most fans. Hell, at times I under appreciate it myself. I mean who really wants to see your early pick go towards some big Olineman that you normally don't watch during the game, because you are focusing on the QB making pass rushers miss and making great throws to athletic receivers?? No one wants to get excited for that, but realistically all of those things can't happen consistently without those important pieces upfront in the trenches. We tend not to focus on those bad ass pancake plays by the lineman and those extra 2 seconds they allow the QB to make that great throw, but it's just as important to the puzzle for that big play to happen. I hate the idea of using this early pick on a lineman, but deep down I know how important it is and as long as the Texans end up with a BPA type of Olineman that is worthy of a top 5 pick, then it's probably a great move and a safe move.

I can't help but wonder how the Texans history might have ended up differently if Boselli wouldn't have been a lemon when we drafted him in the expansion draft. Imagine if we would have played in top form for a just a few years.

Uncle Rico

I didnt expect to have to retort to a quasi education on the importance of a LT. I just assumed that much was known, my comments have been case specific to the Houston Texans, and not general knowledge. People here want to take the best lineman in college who IMO isnt a lock to be anything special, and stick him on the right side of the line, and then casually move him to the left side of the line whenever our TRUE stud LT regresses or retires? Thats crazy. You can find what you need in FA, and address an exponentially more important area of need with a most dynamic talent at that position, be that on offense or defense. You have the 1st pick!!

Who exactly is this all world OL supposed to block for again? Who's leading this team moving forward? Thats the burning question facing this team, not losing sleep on where to find interior linemen or average RTs.

Same on defense, outside of Watt there are ZERO talented pass rushers on this team. OLB/DE wouldnt upset me. I'm not arguing the needs of the team, maybe the order of importance more than anything. QB,Pass Rusher,LT,ILB,C,WR,CB,S,Interior Linemen,Special teams and you go best talent available that fits the most pressing need on that list.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
...you go best talent available that fits the most pressing need on that list.
I think that's how we got to where we are right now. I think we should just go BPA. Being over-talented can't hurt us. Even if the BPA is a WR (though I doubt it).

No position on this team should be a lock for anyone. We take the best tackle available & if that means Duane Brown becomes an overpaid RT.... so be it. We take the best ILB available & if he's better than Cushing.... so be it.

I don't want to take the best pass rusher because we need a pass rusher, because we're still screwed if he's only average.... we need someone better than average, we've got average.

Instead, two badass ILBs would help this team better than 1 avg pass rusher. Two badass OTs would help this team better than an avg rookie QB.