Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-20-2014   #41
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Todd McShay on 2014 NFL Draft

Todd McShay ‏@McShay13
Quote:
Cont13... Sorry for novel. The end!

Cont12... I think Bortles is worth top 10 pick but would have hard time taking him over the elite guys: Clowney, Robinson, Mack, Watkins

Cont11... but remember I was a bit higher on Tannehill than most (mid-1st rd grade)

Cont10... Long-short: I think he grades out (for me) just slightly behind Tannehill -

Cont9... But he has above avg arm and accuracy. He has outstanding pocket presence. He has a strong mental makeup, and he has "it" factor.

Cont8... ...he's always going to have to work hard on mechanics to keep ball placement at a high enough level.

Cont7... He is never going to have elite arm strength and...

Cont6... Now- I understand it's just a pro day, so I'm keeping everything in perspective. He's not Andrew Luck- not by a long shot.

Cont5... As result, he's generating more power from lower body to improve ball velocity. And in long run will have more consistent accuracy.

Cont4... Based on what I saw yesterday, he's well on his way towards fixing. And it is coming very naturally to him.

Cont3... Which is step 1. Step 2 is fixing the problem - and making sure it's natural (so it can be sustainable).

Cont2... He has identified issues that we all see on tape (weak base, failing to transfer weight, opening wide to left, falling off throws)

Cont... knows that he is just a minor tweak to lower body mechanic away from putting it all together.

Improved base/balance. Looks like he's finding mechanically sound delivery that works for him. Anyone that knows QB pos and studied his tape

Was just ripping with @LanceZierlein re: QB Bortles. Next few tweets are copied/pasted from what I was writing...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

McShay's World Draftnik Tour Top 32

Quote:
1Jadeveon ClowneyCOLLEGE: South CarolinaClass: JrHT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis: I attended Clowney's pro day workout Wednesday and wrote up an article on how I thought he performed, which you can read here. But in short, I think Clowney is in his own class, a step above the other three elite prospects in this class, and I think it's going to be really hard for the Texans to pass him up with the No. 1 pick. He has a rare blend of size, athleticism, strength and speed, and he can beat opponents with his speed rush or his bull rush. I also think he's capable of dropping into coverage when he's asked to do so.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 1 | PLAYER CARD

2Greg RobinsonCOLLEGE: AuburnClass: SophHT: 6-5WT: 332POS: OT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 2 | PLAYER CARD

3Khalil MackCOLLEGE: BuffaloHT: 6-2WT: 251POS: OLB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 3 | PLAYER CARD

4Sammy WatkinsCOLLEGE: ClemsonClass: JrHT: 6-0WT: 211POS: WR

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 4 | PLAYER CARD

5Jake MatthewsCOLLEGE: Texas A&MClass: SrHT: 6-5WT: 308POS: OT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 5 | PLAYER CARD

6Taylor LewanCOLLEGE: MichiganClass: SrHT: 6-7WT: 309POS: OT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 7 | PLAYER CARD

7Mike EvansCOLLEGE: Texas A&MClass: SophHT: 6-4WT: 231POS: WR

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 6 | PLAYER CARD

8C.J. MosleyCOLLEGE: AlabamaClass: SrHT: 6-2WT: 234POS: ILB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 9 | PLAYER CARD

9Blake BortlesCOLLEGE: UCFClass: JrHT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB
2013 STATSYDS 3280TD 22INT 7
Analysis: Bortles has prototypical size at 6-5, 232 pounds, and, although he doesn't have a great arm, it is strong enough to make all the NFL throws. He has good pocket presence and playmaking ability and rates well in terms of his leadership and intangibles. He has some minor improvements to make in terms of his mechanics and accuracy, but it was very encouraging to see at his pro day that he had clearly made progress in those areas already this offseason.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 10 | PLAYER CARD

10Ha Ha Clinton-DixCOLLEGE: AlabamaClass: JrHT: 6-1WT: 208POS: S

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 16 | PLAYER CARD

11Aaron DonaldCOLLEGE: PittsburghHT: 6-0WT: 285POS: DT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 12 | PLAYER CARD

12Eric EbronCOLLEGE: North CarolinaClass: JrHT: 6-4WT: 250POS: TE

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 13 | PLAYER CARD

13Teddy BridgewaterCOLLEGE: LouisvilleClass: JrHT: 6-2WT: 214POS: QB
2013 STATSYDS 3523TD 28INT 4
Analysis: Bridgewater remains the most pro-ready QB prospect in this class, but he drops a few spots here because there continue to be concerns about his long-term durability because of his lean frame and about his ability to drive the ball down the field with velocity and accuracy. He did nothing to ease either of those concerns for NFL teams with his pro day performance; Bridgewater's is one of the rare cases when a quarterback's throwing performance on game tape is more impressive than what he showed at his pro day.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 8 | PLAYER CARD

14Morgan MosesCOLLEGE: VirginiaHT: 6-6WT: 314POS: OT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 32 | PLAYER CARD

15Zack MartinCOLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-4WT: 308POS: OT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 17 | PLAYER CARD

16Darqueze DennardCOLLEGE: Michigan StateClass: SrHT: 5-10WT: 199POS: CB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 14 | PLAYER CARD

17Calvin PryorCOLLEGE: LouisvilleClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 207POS: S

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 15 | PLAYER CARD

18Brandin CooksCOLLEGE: Oregon StateClass: JrHT: 5-9WT: 189POS: WR

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 23 | PLAYER CARD

19Bradley RobyCOLLEGE: Ohio StateClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 194POS: CB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 20 | PLAYER CARD

20Johnny ManzielCOLLEGE: Texas A&MClass: SophHT: 5-11WT: 207POS: QB
2013 STATSYDS 3732TD 33INT 13
Analysis: Manziel earned an A for his pro day performance, but he remains one of the most difficult-to-evaluate prospects I've ever seen. You can check out my full scouting report on him here; in short, he has a strong arm, quick release, poise and vision under pressure and a unique ability to create, but carries with him a significant injury risk because of his small frame and has a lot of work to do to overcome being a sub-6-foot quarterback with a three-quarter delivery and inconsistent college mechanics.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 21 | PLAYER CARD

21Odell Beckham Jr.COLLEGE: LSUClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 26 | PLAYER CARD

22Marqise LeeCOLLEGE: USCClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 192POS: WR

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 18 | PLAYER CARD

23Timmy JerniganCOLLEGE: Florida StateClass: JrHT: 6-1WT: 299POS: DT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 30 | PLAYER CARD

24Justin GilbertCOLLEGE: Oklahoma StateClass: SrHT: 6-0WT: 202POS: CB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 11 | PLAYER CARD

25Ra'Shede HagemanCOLLEGE: MinnesotaHT: 6-5WT: 310POS: DT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 19 | PLAYER CARD

26Louis Nix IIICOLLEGE: Notre DameClass: SrHT: 6-2WT: 331POS: DT

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 22 | PLAYER CARD

27Anthony BarrCOLLEGE: UCLAClass: SrHT: 6-4WT: 255POS: OLB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 24 | PLAYER CARD

28Kyle FullerCOLLEGE: Virginia TechClass: SrHT: 5-11WT: 190POS: CB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 27 | PLAYER CARD

29Jason VerrettCOLLEGE: TCUClass: SrHT: 5-9WT: 189POS: CB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 31 | PLAYER CARD

30Ryan ShazierCOLLEGE: Ohio StateClass: JrHT: 6-1WT: 237POS: OLB

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 29 | PLAYER CARD

31Dee FordCOLLEGE: AuburnHT: 6-2WT: 244POS: DE

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 28 | PLAYER CARD

32Kelvin BenjaminCOLLEGE: Florida StateClass: SophHT: 6-5WT: 240POS: WR

PREVIOUS RANK: No. NR | PLAYER CARD
Morgan Moses' 2013 game tape got 18 spots better from TMc's last rankings.
Old 04-23-2014   #43
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

If the Texans trade out of 1-1, McShay "would be shocked if the Texans took Manziel over Bortles." -ESPN

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read