Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2014   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Todd McShay on 2014 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He'll change it back to a 1st or 2nd after the combine even if Carr doesn't throw. Guy is a joke.

I agree... wait a minute, are we talking about Carr or McShay?
Old 02-19-2014   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

McShay insight...

Quote:
On RBs at the Combine, the 40 yard dash, vertical jump, and broad jump and those rankings are best predictor of NFL success...

But if you run slower than 4.66 in the 40 your chances of success drop to just 1 of 64 RBs became 3 year starter last 10 years. Over 4.70, none became starters.
Also drafting the fastest 40 yard dash guy at any position yielded ~25% successful outcome.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

McShay: Biggest combine snubs for 2014
Quote:
While the National Invitation Camp Selection Committee does a very good job of targeting most of the top prospects in a given class for that year's combine, there are inevitably a few to fall through the cracks each year. Approximately 10 percent of the players selected in the draft every year are not invited, and occasionally a star will emerge from this "non-combine" group.

In 2012, OG Brandon Brooks (Miami-OH) was our highest-rated snub and he wound up drafted by the Texans in Round 3. Last year, Vince Williams (Florida State) was our top-rated combine snub, and the Steelers wound up drafting the inside linebacker in the sixth round.

Which prospects were snubbed this season? Here's our top 10:

1. Morgan Breslin, DE, USC
2. Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty
3. Ty Zimmerman, S, Kansas State
4. Marquis Spruill, ILB, Syracuse
5. Robert Nelson, CB, Arizona State
6. Trey Hopkins, G, Texas
7. Derrell Johnson, OLB, East Carolina
8. Brett Van Sloten, OT, Iowa
9. Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin
10. Bruce Gaston, DT, Purdue
Old 02-20-2014   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Prospects with most riding on combine

Quote:
The stakes are higher at this yearís NFL scouting combine than in years past, with a record-setting number of underclassmen (85) in attendance. Itís unsettling for teams to be less than three months away from the draft and still not have official heights and weights for approximately one-third of the players who will be drafted.

Which prospects have the most riding on their combine performances? Iíve ranked my top 10, some of whom are guys in need of strong showings in order to solidify or improve their draft status (or in some cases, to prevent their stocks from slipping), and some of whom are players with the potential to make significant jumps up draft boards by posting big numbers and handling the process well.

1. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

Not too long ago, I had Barr listed as the No. 2 prospect in my Top 32 rankings. He looks...

2. Marqise Lee, WR, USC

Lee is on this list for...

3. Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

I feel as though Tuittís draft stock has slowly eroded over the course of the past year, but he has a chance to regain some traction with a strong combine showing...

4. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

It was pretty obvious from watching tape on Roby early in the season that he was playing with terrible eye discipline and gambling way too much, and he got burned several times as a result. But he started playing better as the season progressed, and I would argue that he is the most talented natural athlete in this yearís class of cornerbacks...

5. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech

Amaro has been a tough prospect for me to figure out on tape, because while he was highly productive and is a massive target with good hands and straight-line speed, I also donít see him consistently separating...

6. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida

Purifoy is kind of a teaser on tape in that he appears to be such a good, natural athlete with fluid hips, very good speed, body control and change-of-direction skills, but his technique...

7. De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

When youíre small, you donít really have a defined position at the next level, and you exited college with a lot of questions about your mental and physical toughness and competitiveness (as Thomas did), you better be fast. Well, Thomas is. In fact, I donít know if Iíve ever seen a player in a live game situation who was faster with the ball in his hands...

8. Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

Two words come to mind when I watch Richardson on tape: speedy and skinny...

9. Andre Williams, RB, Boston College

Itís hard to have a more productive season running the football than Williams did last season, and heís a good, smart player who will likely impress teams during his interviews. But he took a beating last season, so his medical evaluation will be important..

10. Dri Archer, RB, Kent State

The same things I wrote above about Thomasí size can be said of Archer -Ė if youíre 5-8 and around 170 pounds, you better be fast. Thatís more so the case with Archer in that heís a guy who has struggled with durability...
Old 02-26-2014   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

"I would lean in the direction of Clowney or Greg Robinson over any of these QBs for Houston [at 1-1]."

"Clowney was a lot more productive and a lot more dominant this year than what the statistics would say or the image being portrayed this past season in the media indicates."

"Do you have concerns, yes. Will the psychological testing be important, yes." -- McShay on Mike&Mike

Hmmm.... not comfortable being on the same side as Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd.
Old 02-26-2014   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101434 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
"I would lean in the direction of Clowney or Greg Robinson over any of these QBs for Houston [at 1-1]." -- McShay on Mike&Mike.
Looks like McShay has been reading some of our post here to form his opinion.
Old 02-27-2014   #27
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113211 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Looks like McShay has been reading some of our post here to form his opinion.
He steals his info/opinion from other people anyway. Why not from the knowledgeable posters at TexansTalk?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2014   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

2/27 Big Board
Quote:
1Jadeveon Clowney*
COLLEGE: South CarolinaAGE: 20HT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE

Analysis: From a talent standpoint, he is the clear No. 1 prospect in this class, a fact he reminded everyone of with his exceptional 4.53-second 40-yard dash time at the combine. To put that number into perspective, it is faster than the average produced by wide receivers over the last five years at the combine and faster than Johnny Manziel as well as mobile NFL QBs Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. Clowney will have some questions to answer at his pro day and in individual interviews with teams, but I'm not anticipating any issues there. He has a rare combination of size, speed, strength and athleticism.

2Greg Robinson*
COLLEGE: AuburnAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 332POS: OT

3Khalil Mack
COLLEGE: BuffaloAGE: 22HT: 6-3WT: 251POS: OLB

4Sammy Watkins*
COLLEGE: ClemsonAGE: 20HT: 6-1WT: 211POS: WR

5Jake Matthews
COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 308POS: OT

6Taylor Lewan
COLLEGE: MichiganAGE: 22HT: 6-7WT: 309POS: OT

7Mike Evans*
COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 20HT: 6-5WT: 231POS: WR

8Teddy Bridgewater*
COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 20HT: 6-2WT: 214POS: QB

Analysis: He didn't participate in any combine events outside of the vertical and broad jumps, but I don't think his sitting the rest out will matter much. It will put more focus on his pro day, but I feel as though his performance there will have minimal importance as well. He is the most naturally accurate and pro-ready quarterback in this class. The only questions about him regard his upside, long-term durability and vocal leadership.

9Blake Bortles*
COLLEGE: UCFAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB

Analysis: I wasn't able to see Bortles' passing session in person at the combine, but I thought he looked OK overall from what I saw on TV, and those I talked to who were there gave him mixed reviews. He ran surprisingly slow in the 40 at 4.93, but the most important aspect of Bortles' combine was his interviews, and I heard he did really well there. In fact, I've yet to hear one negative thing about him as a person. He has prototypical size at 6-5, 232 pounds, in addition to good pocket presence and playmaking ability. He has some minor improvements to make in terms of his mechanics and accuracy.

10Justin Gilbert
COLLEGE: Oklahoma StateAGE: 22HT: 6-0WT: 202POS: CB

11Timmy Jernigan*
COLLEGE: FSUAGE: 20HT: 6-2WT: 299POS: DT

12C.J. Mosley
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 234POS: LB

13Aaron Donald
COLLEGE: PittsburghAGE: 22HT: 6-1WT: 285POS: DT

14Darqueze Dennard
COLLEGE: Michigan StateAGE: 22HT: 5-11WT: 199POS: CB

15Calvin Pryor*
COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 22HT: 5-11WT: 207POS: S

16Ha Ha Clinton-Dix*
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 20HT: 6-1WT: 208POS: S

17Eric Ebron*
COLLEGE: UNCAGE: 20HT: 6-4WT: 250POS: TE

18Marqise Lee*
COLLEGE: USCAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 192POS: WR

19Zack Martin
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 23HT: 6-4WT: 308POS: OT

20Louis Nix III
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 22HT: 6-2WT: 331POS: DT

21Kony Ealy*
COLLEGE: MissouriAGE: 22HT: 6-4WT: 273POS: DE

22Lamarcus Joyner
COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 23HT: 5-8WT: 184POS: CB

23Johnny Manziel*
COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 20HT: 6-0WT: 207POS: QB

Analysis: I wasn't blown away with Manziel's test results overall, even though he did run a good 40 time (4.68, fourth-best among QBs) and short shuttle (4.03, fastest among QBs). But from everything I heard, he did really well in his team interviews, which was an important area for him. The longer the process goes on, the less likely I think it is that he'll go No. 1 overall to Houston, but there's still a good chance he could go in the top five or 10 picks. He has special playmaking and improvisational ability, and he improved his arm strength and ball-placement consistency this season. The questions remain about his on- and off-field decision-making and long-term durability.

24Brandin Cooks*
COLLEGE: Oregon StateAGE: 20HT: 5-10WT: 189POS: WR

25Ra'Shede Hageman
COLLEGE: MinnesotaAGE: 23HT: 6-6WT: 310POS: DT

Analysis: He showed off his strength at the combine, tying for third among defensive linemen with 32 reps on the bench press. There are some boom-or-bust qualities to Hageman, as he has to improve his consistency and technique, but there aren't many players as big as he is who can move as well as his does. His versatility is an asset, as well.

26Bradley Roby*
COLLEGE: Ohio StateAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 194POS: CB

27Odell Beckham Jr.*
COLLEGE: LSUAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR

28Anthony Barr
COLLEGE: UCLAAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 255POS: OLB

Analysis: He proved with his combine performance that he is a really good, fast athlete, running a 4.66 40 and doing well in the three-cone short-shuttle drills. He was just OK in the jumps that measure lower-half explosiveness, which matches up with the biggest issue I see from him on tape: He hasn't shown a lot of explosiveness or finishing ability. He was very productive at UCLA, however, and has the potential to get better.

29Stephon Tuitt*
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 20HT: 6-5WT: 304POS: DE

30Ryan Shazier*
COLLEGE: Ohio StateAGE: 21HT: 6-1WT: 237POS: LB

31Kyle Fuller
COLLEGE: Virginia TechAGE: 22HT: 6-0WT: 190POS: CB

Analysis: Fuller is making his first appearance in the Top 32 after showing well in Indy with a 4.49 40 time and posting the top broad jump distance (128 inches) among all cornerbacks. He struggles to match up in man-to-man coverage at times, but he is an aggressive and capable run defender.

32Jason Verrett
COLLEGE: TCUAGE: 22HT: 5-9WT: 189POS: CB
Old 03-01-2014   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Todd McShay ‏@McShay13
Quote:
This RB class -unlike the rest of the #NFLDraft14- is short on talent and long on police and medical reports. Red flags everywhere.
Old 03-05-2014   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

McShay: UM DT Hageman is a 'rare talent'
Quote:
ESPN.com's Todd McShay called Minnesota DT Ra'Shede Hageman a "rare talent."

"Hageman has more 'wow' moments than any DT in class," McShay tweeted. "Pads rise way too often, motor runs hot-cold." Outside of Jadeveon Clowney, Hageman is as athletically gifted as any defensive line prospect. At 6-foot-6, 311-pounds, he runs a sub 5-second forty and is arguably versatile enough to play any DL position in any scheme. Some believe his best fit is as a 3-4 DE, while others see a pocket collapsing 4-3 DT. Some evaluators are spooked by his inconsistency, but keep in mind that Hageman was easily Minnesota's best defender and was often targeted with multiple blockers in Big 10 play.
Old 03-05-2014   #31
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trying to get it right with Hageman since their Nick Farely analysis was crap lol.
Old 03-06-2014   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Todd McShay ‏@McShay13
Quote:
Mock 3.0 goes live at noon ET today on http://ESPN.com . Will discuss on noon @SportsCenter why Clowney is NOT Texans choice at No. 1
Increases the chances he is the choice.
Old 03-06-2014   #33
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

So unless you just disregard every eval of McShay, there's 7 guys you should take ahead of Bridgewater.
Old 03-06-2014   #34
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So unless you just disregard every eval of McShay, there's 7 guys you should take ahead of Bridgewater.
I don't think anyone actually regards him... so yeah... disregarding him is a must. He's a good talking point though.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

McShay: Vikings will trade up, trade down, or make a selection
Old 03-09-2014   #36
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40232 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

signed,

the other 31 teams as well.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well that's a definitive assessment, isn't it...?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #38
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

lol, classic McShay.

Maybe if Justin Gilbert isn't drafted by the Vikings he also has the possibility of getting drafted by someone else at some point in the draft...

I guess I can be a hard hitting journalist too.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

McShay on 610AM: Texans should take Clowney, Robinson, Mack or one of the QBs at 1-1.

Old 03-18-2014   #40
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McShay on 610AM: Texans should take Clowney, Robinson, Mack or one of the QBs at 1-1.

Dadgum, McShay covered ALL the Bases. Perfect example of NOT going out on a limb. Talk about a CYA. I'd say McShay has 99.9% chance of being right with that statement.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read