Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2013   #81
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub will start this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Texan View Post
For those of you like this guy bashing Keenum I'll just say this. And no I'm not saying he will or won't be a great QB in the NFL.

There are lots of great QBs that were horrid their first year in the league

Peyton Manning 3-13
Troy Aikman 0-11
Warren Moon 3-13
Jim Kelly 4-12
Steve Young 1-4 then 2-12

Now given their status as Elite and HoF QBs these guys are not the norm I'll grant you. But this is proof that starting horribly does not mean you will be horrible going forward. History has proven in the NFL that putting a rookie in at starting QB has mostly disasterous outcomes. Most benefit from sitting 2-4 years behind a capable starter.

Am I sold on Keenum being the starter in the future no I'm not. I am saying is that given a chance he might become good or even great it's too soon to tell given the situation he has been placed in this year. I was also not sold on the above guys after their first year in the league.

Edit forgot this...
And to those of you saying I hope Matt comes in and wins a few games I only have this to say.
Screw that I don't want any reason for McNair to think about keeping Wade on as head coach or Schaub as a QB on this team. They both need to go.

How many QBs start off poorly and never turn it around?

Also Case didn't get thrown in as a starter the second he was signed to the texans squad he was with the team all last year for those who don't remember
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #82
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if Wade will remove the "no audible" restriction...
Old 12-21-2013   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
For those of you like this guy bashing Keenum I'll just say this. And no I'm not saying he will or won't be a great QB in the NFL.
Truth is (& I'm one of the guys bashing Case) we don't know & we won't know. I know the more savy members here blamed Schaub for the predicament this team is in, but his absence over the last several weeks should have convinced us it is deeper than that.

But it's difficult to determine just what we've got in Case Keenum with the team we've got around him.

The big problem about that, is we don't have the time to "figure" it out. We're about to have an opportunity to add a potential franchise QB (there are too many in this draft not to take one with the QB questions we have) to the team.

Like Ben Tate needed to answer some questions about who he is, Case had his own share & did not answer one. We know as much about Case now, as we did before he stepped on the field.

Quote:
There are lots of great QBs that were horrid their first year in the league

Peyton Manning 3-13
Troy Aikman 0-11
Warren Moon 3-13
Jim Kelly 4-12
Steve Young 1-4 then 2-12

Now given their status as Elite and HoF QBs these guys are not the norm I'll grant you.
True.... & Case's college history says maybe he can be that kind of QB. But the scouts saw too many questions. Not running a pro offense, not playing against the best of the best, not tall enough...

There are still as many reasons for Case to fail as there is for him to succeed. & the deck is stacked even higher against him.
Old 12-21-2013   #84
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Wonder if Wade will remove the "no audible" restriction...
The offense isn't designed with "audibles", it's designed with "options". Instead of the QB having to completely change the play when he reads the defense, all he has to do is choose a different option.

To transform this offense from an "option" based offense to an "audible" based offense would take a complete re-design of how things are done.

So.

No.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #85
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The offense isn't designed with "audibles", it's designed with "options". Instead of the QB having to completely change the play when he reads the defense, all he has to do is choose a different option.

To transform this offense from an "option" based offense to an "audible" based offense would take a complete re-design of how things are done.

So.

No.
Hopefully, Schaub won't choose the "pick 6" option this week
Old 12-21-2013   #86
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
How many QBs start off poorly and never turn it around?

Also Case didn't get thrown in as a starter the second he was signed to the texans squad he was with the team all last year for those who don't remember

As a scout team quarterback, meaning essentially his function was mostly to simulate upcoming potential opponents...........not trying to emulate a Texans quarterback and offfense.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #87
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
[/b]
As a scout team quarterback, meaning essentially his function was mostly to simulate upcoming potential opponents...........not trying to emulate a Texans quarterback and offfense.

I'm sure he never saw a playbook, never talked to any coaches, players especially QBs probably wasn't even coached at all. Let's stop acting like the kid was drafted this year and thrown on the field
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2013   #88
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure he never saw a playbook, never talked to any coaches, players especially QBs probably wasn't even coached at all. Let's stop acting like the kid was drafted this year and thrown on the field
What? Are you trying to say he saw tons of reps as the #1 qb and saw action against the #1 def at anytime? Dude was thrown in with even less coaching and preparedness than most rookies, and all rookies meant to be a starter at some point.
Old 12-21-2013   #89
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
What? Are you trying to say he saw tons of reps as the #1 qb and saw action against the #1 def at anytime? Dude was thrown in with even less coaching and preparedness than most rookies, and all rookies meant to be a starter at some point.
The excuses just don't stop, the lottery ticket odds etc. He has spent more than a year and change on the team so let's stop acting like this is his first year here and he was thrown into it
Old 12-21-2013   #90
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Good lord folks - the truth is in the middle. Keenum has been in all the meetings and film sessions discussing and analyzing how the playbook is run and how to attack each D right there along side Schaub and TJ. He did get reps (mixed this off-season with all sorts of combinations of players) running the offense out of the Texans playbook. He has not prior to starting gotten any reps with the 1st O on 1st D and some of his time, which Schaub would have spent on studying the upcoming D, has been spent studying the upcoming O to run the scout team. He isn't a rookie and he hasn't had the prep of an expected starter.
Old 12-21-2013   #91
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
The excuses just don't stop, the lottery ticket odds etc. He has spent more than a year and change on the team so let's stop acting like this is his first year here and he was thrown into it
Excuses? Geez, I've never thought the guy was starter material. But stop acting like he's had all this developmental help for two years. I'm sure the speed of the game is far faster than anything he's seen in practice or training camp. If some people like him, what do you care? Why go bashing someone because of who they like? You just like telling everyone their idiots because they don't think like you?
Old 12-21-2013   #92
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Excuses? Geez, I've never thought the guy was starter material. But stop acting like he's had all this developmental help for two years. I'm sure the speed of the game is far faster than anything he's seen in practice or training camp. If some people like him, what do you care? Why go bashing someone because of who they like? You just like telling everyone their idiots because they don't think like you?

I didn't tell anyone they were an idiot. He has been getting developmental help the last two seasons. People can like him but be realistic about things.
Old 12-21-2013   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
But stop acting like he's had all this developmental help for two years. I'm sure the speed of the game is far faster than anything he's seen in practice or training camp.
All I want is for him to beat a basic blitz. I want to be able to move the ball in the second half & possibly score if we need to. Our opponents are sending basic blitzes at him (albeit from different directions) & he's not able to beat them.

Matt Flynn hasn't been in a Packer's practice for 2 years, but he found a way to make the Cowboys pay for blitzing him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read