Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-06-2014   #41
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Todd McShay Mocks 2014

I just can't envision a situation where the Rams take Clowney over Robinson. That's a serious case of neglect when they're talking about giving Bradord everything he needs to succeed.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I just can't envision a situation where the Rams take Clowney over Robinson. That's a serious case of neglect when they're talking about giving Bradord everything he needs to succeed.
It's a cop out way of including the very likely scenario that if Clowney is on the board the #2 will be traded away for him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #43
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

If we draft Jake Locker, er, I mean Blake Bortles 1.1 we deserve to suck, along with firing everyone in the front office including the owner.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Quote:
In McShay's new mock he has 3 QB's going in the top 4 picks. Not going to happen! There isn't a franchise QB in this class. Good not great!
Old 03-06-2014   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In McShay's new mock he has 3 QB's going in the top 4 picks. Not going to happen! There isn't a franchise QB in this class. Good not great!
I think there is a better chance of 3 OT's going in first 6 picks -

tweet that

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
3/06 Mock
Quote:
2 Jadeveon ClowneySt. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: South CarolinaAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis: If Clowney doesn't go No. 1 to the Texans, the Rams will be ecstatic for two reasons: One, it would drive up the trade value for the No. 2 pick (at No. 6, the Falcons are one potential trade partner); and two, if the Rams don't get a trade offer that makes sense, they'll have the opportunity to take the best player in this draft and transform a good, young defense into an exceptional one. Yes, I know that the Rams already have a very good defensive line (and O-line was an issue last season), but in today's NFL, when you're defending the pass as much as teams are, being able to rotate your D-linemen or move a guy like Robert Quinn inside to rush the quarterback on passing downs would be a huge asset. Second down is the new third down. Greg Robinson is the pick if Clowney goes first.

This is another niggle that I've got on this draft & have had since day 1.

No matter who we pick, no one ever mocks Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel to St. Louis.

Bradford has been there for 4 years. He's on the final 2 years of his rookie contract. He'll have a $14M salary & $17M cap number. The Rams are as cap strapped as we are. But no one sees any of the three as an upgrade to a guy who only recently shown himself to be a quality starter.

Obviously no one believes the three to be an upgrade over Sam Bradford. Even at a substantial $10M cap savings. Yeah, they passed on RG3, at that time they'd have lost money on cutting Bradford. Now, they can walk away clean.
Old 03-08-2014   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is another niggle that I've got on this draft & have had since day 1.

Obviously no one believes the three to be an upgrade over Sam Bradford.
No, nobody believes they will do it. It was floated several times early on and the Rams have shot it down hard. They are not going to dump Bradford without letting him have a chance after injury. Plus he was having his best season when he went down - highest comp. %, TD %, lowest INT %, highest ypa, ypg & QB rating.
Old 03-08-2014   #48
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
No matter who we pick, no one ever mocks Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel to St. Louis.
Four or five elite players in this draft. None are listed above. Rams will trade out of the position if at all possible or go elite if they cannot.
Old 04-10-2014   #49
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Two rounder
Quote:
1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
There has been some Johnny Manziel-to-Houston buzz in the last few days, but I think this pick will come down to Clowney and UCF quarterback Blake Bortles. The Texans really need a QB, and Bortles has the highest ceiling of any passer in this draft, but I just think it's going to be too difficult for the Texans to pass on Clowney. He is the best player in this class and the most naturally talented defensive lineman I've ever evaluated, and guys like him simply don't come around that often. The Texans will find a good fit for him in defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel's versatile scheme.

2. St. Louis Rams (from WAS): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

4. Cleveland Browns: Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

5. Oakland Raiders: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

8. Minnesota Vikings: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

9. Buffalo Bills: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

10. Detroit Lions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

11. Tennessee Titans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

13. St. Louis Rams: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

14. Chicago Bears: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

16. Dallas Cowboys: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State

17. Baltimore Ravens: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

18. New York Jets: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

19. Miami Dolphins: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

20. Arizona Cardinals: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

21. Green Bay Packers: Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Marqise Lee, WR, USC

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

25. San Diego Chargers: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

26. Cleveland Browns (from IND): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State

27. New Orleans Saints: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

28. Carolina Panthers: Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada
The Panthers are in a tough spot in this scenario. Most of the best available prospects are defensive front-seven players, but where the Panthers really need help is at offensive line and wide receiver. Bitonio has the potential to fill the void at left tackle for Carolina, and worst-case scenario he could kick inside to guard and become an outstanding interior lineman. He is a bit top-heavy, but he has surprisingly good movement skills, plays with an edge and battles for a full four quarters every game (he completely shut down Anthony Barr, pushing him around most of the game).

29. New England Patriots: Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame

30. San Francisco 49ers: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

31. Denver Broncos: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

32. Seattle Seahawks: Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA

Second round
33. Houston Texans: Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh
This pick is made based on the premise that the Texans wouldn't need him to play right away. Savage has very good arm strength, but Bill O'Brien would need to work with him on getting the ball out quicker and improving his footwork.

34. Washington Redskins: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Kouandjio could be a steal here, but his inconsistency and long-term durability are concerns.

35. Cleveland Browns: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
Jean-Baptiste has very good size at 6-3, 218 pounds, and would be a nice fit in Cleveland.

36. Oakland Raiders: Anthony Barr, DE/OLB, UCLA
I don't have Barr ranked as high as some others, but he is a good speed rusher of the edge who could help in Oakland.

37. Atlanta Falcons: Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn
Atlanta gets offensive line help with its first pick and adds an undersized edge rusher here in Ford.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
I could see Ealy dropping a little bit, as there is more finesse to his game than you'd like to see, but he can rush the passer and the Bucs need that in their defensive scheme.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
I love the match between Garoppolo and the Jaguars here, as they'd be able to develop him behind veteran QB Chad Henne.

40. Minnesota Vikings: Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State
Joyner is undersized, but he's a big-time playmaker with excellent instincts and recognition skills.

41. Buffalo Bills: Ja'Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
After passing up on a tackle at No. 9 overall, the Bills get a good value in James who is a great fit for their zone-blocking scheme.

42. Tennessee Titans: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
Tuitt's versatility is a plus in the Titans' hybrid 3-4, 4-3 defense, and he's a good value at this spot, too.

43. New York Giants: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
Shazier would finally give the Giants a big-time athlete at linebacker, which outweighs any concerns about his size.

44. St. Louis Rams: Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
I would have liked to have gotten a big-play receiver for the Rams here, but the best available WRs are more of the possession type. Plus, Bucannon fills a need and has a higher grade.

45. Detroit Lions: Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
Adams isn't a burner, but he's a really good receiver overall and a great fit opposite Calvin Johnson and alongside free-agent pickup Golden Tate.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
The Steelers have bigger needs, but Amaro has a higher grade than the prospects at other need areas, and as much as I love Heath Miller, they need to get younger at tight end.

47. Dallas Cowboys: Jeremiah Attaochu, DE, Georgia Tech
Attaochu could be effective as a 4-3 left defensive end for the Cowboys. That gives them two talented defensive linemen in the first two rounds, which I think is important for them.

48. Baltimore Ravens: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
Ward, our third-ranked safety, is versatile, physical and has excellent ball skills.

49. New York Jets: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
The addition of Seferian-Jenkins, a very good red-zone threat, and first-round pick Brandin Cooks, gives the Jets' QBs a chance to be successful this season.

50. Miami Dolphins: Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
The Dolphins have bigger needs here, but I still think they need to add depth and competition at wide receiver. Landry had a poor 40-yard dash time at the combine, but he is a really good football player who does all the little things right, is a tough blocker and great in the slot.

51. Chicago Bears: Keith McGill, CB, Utah
McGill has great size for a cornerback at 6-3, 211 pounds, and would be a nice addition to the Bears' secondary.

52. Arizona Cardinals: Demarcus Lawrence, OLB, Boise State
Lawrence provides the Cardinals with another pass-rusher coming off the edge.

53. Green Bay Packers: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
Niklas may not be an instant-impact player for the Packers as a rookie, but I really like his long-term potential.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Terrance Brooks, S, Florida State
Brooks is something of a reach for the Eagles here, but they need a safety and Brooks brings good playmaking ability.

55. Cincinnati Bengals: Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
Crichton is a good fit for the Bengals as a high-energy pass-rusher from the defensive end position.

56. San Francisco 49ers (from Kansas City): Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
The 49ers could use another reliable pass-catcher, and while Matthews isn't the fastest WR (he plays slower than his 4.46 40 time indicates), he has good size and strong overall ball skills.

57. San Diego Chargers: Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
Van Noy gives the Chargers another pass-rusher from the outside linebacker position.

58. New Orleans Saints: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
Richardson's inconsistent ball skills make him a risky pick, but he is one of the best route runners in this class and has very good deep speed.

59. Indianapolis Colts: Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
I was surprised Borland lasted this long, but I think this is a case where positional value bumps him down a bit. I have an early second-round grade on him. I'd rather see him as a 4-3 middle linebacker, but he'd be fine at the weak inside linebacker position in a 3-4.

60. Carolina Panthers: Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
Ellington is one of the more underrated receivers in this class, with great hands and acceleration.

61. San Francisco 49ers: Marcus Martin, C, USC
Martin has the potential to be a good starting NFL center for a long time.

62. New England Patriots: Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

I had a hard time finding a spot for Hyde, and it wouldn't shock me if we don't see a running back drafted in the first or second rounds this season. I get that the Patriots have other needs, but I think he'd make sense because he does a good job of protecting the football and the quarterback, and he is a good receiver out of the backfield.

63. Denver Broncos: Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
Bryant could struggle a bit with the mental aspect of the game early on in his career, but he is a burner who can really stretch the field vertically.

64. Seattle Seahawks: Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
Mewhort would be a reach here, but the Seahawks need a right tackle and there's a big drop-off at this position after the first few go off the board. I think he'll be an overachiever in the NFL.

Best players still available:

1. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
2. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
3. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
4. AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama
5. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
Old 04-10-2014   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two rounder

Quote:

11. Tennessee Titans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

Second round
33. Houston Texans: Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois

42. Tennessee Titans: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

59. Indianapolis Colts: Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
So... how would you guys feel about that? Jacksonville gets Khalil Mack & JimmyG..... Tennessee gets Bridgewater & Tuit.

We get Clowney & Savage.
Old 04-10-2014   #51
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So... how would you guys feel about that? Jacksonville gets Khalil Mack & JimmyG..... Tennessee gets Bridgewater & Tuit.

We get Clowney & Savage.
I think that would suck big time
Old 04-10-2014   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

We get Clowney & Savage.
Hmmm, great observation there TK.

Jimmy & Teddy will be running from Clowney. Quick release important.
Old 04-10-2014   #53
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We get Clowney & Savage.
I would prefer Clowney and Mettenberger or Clowney and Garoppolo but yeah, it would be OK. It's not like the Jags and Teets aren't going to get anybody. I mean, they get to pick too. Law of averages says sooner or later they're going to eventually turn the corner too.

To me Savage at 2-1 says OB plans on winning in a couple of years, say maybe "2016" and I really don't want to hear that **** right now. Mettenberger or Garoppolo I think is starting by the end of 2014 unless Fitz just has us winning against bad competition but probably still starts opening day 2015.
Old 04-10-2014   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

To me Savage at 2-1 says OB plans on winning in a couple of years, say maybe "2016" and I really don't want to hear that **** right now. Mettenberger or Garoppolo I think is starting by the end of 2014 unless Fitz just has us winning against bad competition but probably still starts opening day 2015.
Interesting.

I don't know what to think about Savage. I like that he played in the ACC & not the AAC. I think it says a lot that he was pretty much a walk on at Pitt & got the starting job after having to learn the offense on his own.

I don't know how I feel about using 2-1 on him though. With Mettenberger, Carr, Murray, Fales, Shaw, Boyd, Renner, Lynch, etc... all still on the board. Oh year, McCarron too. I'd really love to see their board if we take Savage there & know what they're thinking... of course that'll never happen. Well, McClain will let us know what they're thinking.

Still, from what little I do know, Savage played well when he played. I don't see why he would be out the whole year, especially if we're not winning.
Old 04-10-2014   #55
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just threw up in my mouth a little.
Old 04-10-2014   #56
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Derek Carr is available at 2.1 and we take Tom Savage.... This is why I hate these so called draft experts, he's just throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks. He's changing his mock, being more controversial so that he'll get more notice and thus more hits on the company site.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #57
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We get Clowney & Savage.
I'd feel really bad about that. I'd feel uncomfortable with Savage at any time before about the 5th or 6th round.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
So... how would you guys feel about that?
I'd feel fine with it because that would be the guy our QB specialist Head Coach had decided was the best hunk of clay for him to mold into an NFL QB. He knows more about this stuff than I do.
Old 04-10-2014   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd feel fine with it because that would be the guy our QB specialist Head Coach had decided was the best hunk of clay for him to mold into an NFL QB. He knows more about this stuff than I do.
Well gee, log out of TT and just wait for game one. lol
Old 04-24-2014   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

2014 mock draft: Picks I'd make
Quote:
The mock drafts I've put together over the past five months have been projections of the picks I think each team would make at that particular draft position. For this one, we're mixing things up a bit. The picks you see below are the players I would choose if making the picks for each team, not what I'm necessarily expecting to happen on draft night.

My colleague Mel Kiper started this concept a few years back with his "Grade: A draft" and now I'm stuck doing the same -- but it's actually a beneficial exercise because it's no longer about fitting pieces into a puzzle, but instead 32 independent and challenging decisions based purely on my own prospect and NFL roster evaluations. And it also reveals some interesting potential scenarios for the draft's first round.

One important note: There are no trades allowed in this exercise. In the situations where I'm not crazy about any of the options available to that team, I still have to come up with a pick.

With all of that out of the way, here are my choices for the 32 first-round picks.

I've felt like I've been taking crazy pills lately in having to defend Clowney as the potential No. 1 overall pick. I understand the concerns over his effort, but I feel as though those have largely been overblown, and you simply don't get many opportunities to draft a player this good; he's the most naturally talented defensive lineman I've ever evaluated. The Texans need a quarterback, but even though I think Blake Bortles should develop into a good NFL starter -- and I think coach Bill O'Brien would be great for Bortles' development -- I can't justify passing on Clowney (or any of the top elite four prospects in this draft, for that matter) to take him.

2. St. Louis Rams (from WAS): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

4. Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

5. Oakland Raiders: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

6. Atlanta Falcons: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

8. Minnesota Vikings: Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

9. Buffalo Bills: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

10. Detroit Lions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

11. Tennessee Titans: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

12. New York Giants: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

13. St. Louis Rams: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

14. Chicago Bears: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU

16. Dallas Cowboys: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

17. Baltimore Ravens: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

18. New York Jets: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

19. Miami Dolphins: Marqise Lee, WR, USC

20. Arizona Cardinals: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

21. Green Bay Packers: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
25. San Diego Chargers: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
26. Cleveland Browns (from IND): Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
27. New Orleans Saints: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
28. Carolina Panthers: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
29. New England Patriots: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
30. San Francisco 49ers: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
31. Denver Broncos: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
32. Seattle Seahawks: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

Best remaining prospects:

Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame
Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Dee Ford, OLB/DE, Auburn
Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read