Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2013   #1
4x4tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 448 4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Randy Bullock vs Justin Tucker

Im wondering if the a&m ties didn't help push kubiag to draft bullock over signing someone like tucker? Tucker was always clutch at UT and has been money for the ravens since day 1. 61 yard field goal ha, in our dreams. Just another blunder on our part and another reason why I think Rick Smith should go as well. Tucker signed as a undrafted FA and is a weapon for years to come. Makes me sick watching him kick for the Ravens
4x4tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #2
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Randy Bullock vs Justin Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tx View Post
Im wondering if the a&m ties didn't help push kubiag to draft bullock over signing someone like tucker? Tucker was always clutch at UT and has been money for the ravens since day 1. 61 yard field goal ha, in our dreams. Just another blunder on our part and another reason why I think Rick Smith should go as well. Tucker signed as a undrafted FA and is a weapon for years to come. Makes me sick watching him kick for the Ravens
Pretty sure Bullock being a Groza Award winner helped make the decision. The kid was lights out in college and had a huge leg. The only blame I put on Kubiak in this regard was not sitting his ass earlier in the season and signing a vet kicker. We invested a draft pick in the guy so I can see why he did it that way.

You act like Bullock was some "no name" kid that we took a chance on. All indications were this kid being our kicker for the next 15+ years due to his college resume.
Old 12-18-2013   #3
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Heh, this is called hindsight and trying to find something else to blame the administration for. Their senior years Bullock was the better kicker. He made 87.9% of his fieldgoals while Tucker made 81%. Bullock accounted for 142 points to Tucker's 95. So there really was nothing wrong with them choosing Bullock over Tucker. The fault of poor play falls on the player in this situation or the coaching staff. Not the actual selection of the guy. He showed the ability to be productive. Up to the individual/coach to bring it forth.

Granted not like there is a ton that goes into coaching someone on kicking...

Last edited by deucetx; 12-18-2013 at 09:56 AM.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Bullock was more decorated coming out of college. They were both CLUTCH, but one has been trending down, while the other is trending up. That spells coaching to me. Luckily we are moving to a new coaching staff and will see who can be salvaged.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Only Texans fans dislike Bullock. Half of all of fantasy footballers hate Justin Tucker for those 6 FGs.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

kickers come and go
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
kickers come and go
...but legends never die.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2013   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
kickers come and go
So do running backs and receivers.
Old 12-18-2013   #9
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys do realize Bullock hasn't missed a kick in 5 weeks with 3 of those over 40 yards and 1 over 50 yards. Now by no means am I saying it wouldn't have been better to take Justin Tucker, but those complaining about Bullock right now are simply doing so because that's the "cool" thing to do.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak never gave preferential treatment to any Aggie during his eight years as HC. Check how many Aggies have actually made it to the Texans roster.

In the last four weeks, Bullock has been 6 for 6. 1 from 20-29, 2 from 30-39, 3 from 40-49. It may be interesting to see how he finishes out. He's worth evaluating because of how strong his leg is.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #11
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is that Bullock is only making FG's now that there's no pressure at all.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm getting real sick of the mindless "Kubiak drafted him cause he's an aggie" arguments. I know A&M is one of the most hated schools in the south since the move to the SEC, but get a grip on reality or get over your blind hatred.

From the years 2006-2013 Kubiak has overseen the draft and made 63 picks. Of those picks he has drafted exactly 1 player from Texas A&M, that being Randy Bullock. In contrast he has drafted 4 players from Virginia Tech, 3 from Wisconsin, Bama, and Miami, and 2 from a myriad of schools including Colorado State, Rice, NC State and of course the University of Texas. Clearly he has little to no bias for school affiliation.

To add to that, go into the mock draft section of our board and look for posts about Bullock. Many people here were projecting him to be a late pick for us because he filled a need, and had an excellent collegiate career. There were no red flags about him.

Justin Tucker was an UDFA signing for the Ravens. 32 of 32 teams passed on him for whatever reason, maybe because he only started for 2 years at UT. I don't know, but it's not like it was some obvious fact that he was going to be the best kicker in the NFL.

So if you want to make the argument that school affiliation had something to do with this pick and why it went awry, you have a tough mountain to climb. It was clearly a bad pick on the organizations part, but given their track record, I don't see it as some outlier. It's just another mistake to add to the pile of dozens that we have witnessed under Smithiak.
Old 12-18-2013   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hated the Bullock pick and have been a huge critic of his because of his struggles. That's mainly because I thought Blair Walsh was the best Kicker in the draft that year and he's been outstanding for the Vikings.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #14
UKTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 UKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedUKTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
You guys do realize Bullock hasn't missed a kick in 5 weeks with 3 of those over 40 yards and 1 over 50 yards. Now by no means am I saying it wouldn't have been better to take Justin Tucker, but those complaining about Bullock right now are simply doing so because that's the "cool" thing to do.
This, I have absolutely no leanings to any college having only lived here for three years so I think I can be objective. I was a hater earlier in the season when he was missing regularly and in some cases costing us games but I'm happy to eat some humble pie and say the kid has improved dramatically in recent weeks. I no longer think he's a cert to miss whenever he steps on the field, hopefully this is building his confidence ande he can turn into a clutch kicker for us. I'm not saying his troubles are completely behind him but I now have some hope which is an improvement on where I was when he was missing what seemed like everything.
UKTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #15
4x4tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 448 4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
The problem is that Bullock is only making FG's now that there's no pressure at all.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-18-2013   #16
4x4tx
Veteran

Kickers are rarely drafted so it just seems like a reach to justify that pick. How many game winning kicks did bullock have in college? Tucker arguably kicked the biggest fg in the state on the road. Kid has always been nails.

Old 12-18-2013   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kickers are rarely drafted so it just seems like a reach to justify that pick. How many game winning kicks did bullock have in college? Tucker arguably kicked the biggest fg in the state on the road. Kid has always been nails.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012K.php

Bullock was the highest rated kicker on many boards. He was the Lou Groza award winner.

It's easy to look back and diss the pick but it wasn't a bad pick at all.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You mean the guy who was 17 of 21 in his senior year? The guy who missed 3 30-39 yard FGs his senior year? This is the guy coming out of college you would have picked? I mean really, it's not like he was the kicking god of the NCAA in either year he started. He wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but this wasn't some clearcut number 1 pick that we skipped over.
Old 12-18-2013   #19
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Exaggerate much? It's one freaking person in the entire thread (the original poster). No one else is saying anything bad about Bullock. Granted one poster had a point that all the kicks he is making right now have less pressure than earlier in the year but whatever.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #20
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Exaggerate much? It's one freaking person in the entire thread (the original poster). No one else is saying anything bad about Bullock. Granted one poster had a point that all the kicks he is making right now have less pressure than earlier in the year but whatever.
Yeah, nobody has even mentioned that he's fat yet. Well, until now. But he IS fat.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read