Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-26-2013   #141
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Until the Texans can become competitive with the salary cap, the Texans will not be competitive on the football field. They could use 2014 to fix all all their salary cap discrepancies and be in great shape in 2015. This is doubtful as this front office has never shown this propensity or responsibility.
They can free up close to $40MM by cutting players who aren't producing.... I'm not talking about pushing any money into future years other than $7.5M of dead Schaub money.
Old 12-26-2013   #142
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They can free up close to $40MM by cutting players who aren't producing.... I'm not talking about pushing any money into future years other than $7.5M of dead Schaub money.
No. They can't. We have to go crazy to get to $17m.

Learn this site and how to use it. It explains a lot of things.
http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2013

ps Schaub will have $10.5M in dead money, not $7.5M.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #143
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Why would youthink that?

There's no questioning Clowney/Barr's talent.

I have major questions about Bridgewater. In fact I'm not even sure he's the best QB in this draft and I consider this to be a slightly above avg QB draft.

2015 is a different story.
So you say. Barr can't bent and clowney,we know his questions. Pretty ridiculos you call bridgewater arm avg,which is the 1st I've ever heard that. You called palmer a reach when prior to injury,he was a franchise qb by all accounts. If you like barr or clowney,that's cool,but don't act like they don't have issues.

I've watched enough of both to know barr and clowney got real issues. Especially barr. I would take beasley before barr anyway. Barr can't bend and he stays blocked. If he's a olb who can't bend,how can he convert speed to power?
Old 12-27-2013   #144
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If they cut Schaub and Foster and take the full dead money penalty in 2014, that would put the Texans $50 million+ under the cap in 2015. If 2014 is a throw away year, why push dead money in to 2015? I expect some backlash on the comments to cut Foster, but let's be real.....Foster had BACK SURGERY, let me say it again.....Foster had BACK SURGERY. For all practical purposes and strictly my opinion, Foster's NFL career is likely over.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #145
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they cut Schaub and Foster and take the full dead money penalty in 2014, that would put the Texans $50 million+ under the cap in 2015. If 2014 is a throw away year, why push dead money in to 2015? I expect some backlash on the comments to cut Foster, but let's be real.....Foster had BACK SURGERY, let me say it again.....Foster had BACK SURGERY. For all practical purposes and strictly my opinion, Foster's NFL career is likely over.
Not all BACK SURGERY is the same. You may have heard Manning had BACK SURGERY. As a matter of fact, the surgeon was the same.
Old 12-27-2013   #146
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not all BACK SURGERY is the same. You may have heard Manning had BACK SURGERY. As a matter of fact, the surgeon was the same.
Manning had 4 neck surgeries vs back surgery and it took Manning 2 years to fully recover. Manning doesn't take the pounding a RB takes 300 times a year. I'm not saying Foster will not come back. Could he? Yes. IMHO I would be surprised and from my point of view, a RB returning from back surgery, I'm not getting my hopes up and would plan accordingly. You don't find many RBs who are as good as they once were after having back surgery. Slayton's career was pretty much over after his neck surgery. I'm not sure about the history of all of Manning's surgeries but he did go to Europe on a couple of occasions for additional medical procedures because his original surgery was not progressing as well as he had hoped.
Old 12-27-2013   #147
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Matthews #1, then trade back up to get Carr?

Just sayin ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2013   #148
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Manning had 4 neck surgeries vs back surgery and it took Manning 2 years to fully recover. Manning doesn't take the pounding a RB takes 300 times a year. I'm not saying Foster will not come back. Could he? Yes. IMHO I would be surprised and from my point of view, a RB returning from back surgery, I'm not getting my hopes up and would plan accordingly. You don't find many RBs who are as good as they once were after having back surgery. Slayton's career was pretty much over after his neck surgery. I'm not sure about the history of all of Manning's surgeries but he did go to Europe on a couple of occasions for additional medical procedures because his original surgery was not progressing as well as he had hoped.
Typical - attempt to distinguish without comprehending the point.

Neck surgery is a subset of back surgery. If anything it is more serious because more nerves go through the cervical spine than lumbar where many have branched off above.

Yes Manning had 4 surgeries. Really missed the boat here. That is part of the point, his situation was far worse. He had multiple fusions in the zone from which the nerves which control his arm and hand branch off and he came back. Impingement of these nerves led to Slayton's difficulty holding onto the ball. Foster did not have a fusion. He had a microfracture repair to a disc in his lumbar region (far below the arm and hand nerves having branched).

I hope the Texans rely on medical advice rather than generalized fan fear.
Old 12-27-2013   #149
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Typical - attempt to distinguish without comprehending the point.

Neck surgery is a subset of back surgery. If anything it is more serious because more nerves go through the cervical spine than lumbar where many have branched off above.

Yes Manning had 4 surgeries. Really missed the boat here. That is part of the point, his situation was far worse. He had multiple fusions in the zone from which the nerves which control his arm and hand branch off and he came back. Impingement of these nerves led to Slayton's difficulty holding onto the ball. Foster did not have a fusion. He had a microfracture repair to a disc in his lumbar region (far below the arm and hand nerves having branched).

I hope the Texans rely on medical advice rather than generalized fan fear.
Stop it already, We're already done here. I see you woke up argumentative this morning. ON this we can agree, you're NOT a doctor.
Old 12-27-2013   #150
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking Matthews is second half of first round level talent.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #151
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm thinking Matthews is second half of first round level talent.
If his name wasn't Matthews then nobody on this board would be talking about him at #1. He's a very good player and will be a solid player in the NFL, but he's not going to be a cornerstone OT for a franchise.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #152
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stop it already, We're already done here. I see you woke up argumentative this morning. ON this we can agree, you're NOT a doctor.
Typical of you to take your ball and go home when your silly arguments are torn to pieces. Later.

Let's get CND in here and see who he agrees with. Because I can guarantee you aren't close on this one.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #153
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And you are a doctor? The one shouting about Foster's back surgery and its implications?

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #154
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
And you are a doctor? The one shouting about Foster's back surgery and its implications?

I clarified my comments several times starting with IMHO and concluding with not many RBs have returned from back surgery to be as successful as they were before they had they had back surgery. I'm not sure a medical degree is needed to make that assumption. If you feel I am wrong feel free to list all those RBs who have been as successful after having such surgeries.
Old 12-27-2013   #155
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Typical of you to take your ball and go home when your silly arguments are torn to pieces. Later.

Let's get CND in here and see who he agrees with. Because I can guarantee you aren't close on this one.
Are you 15?
Old 12-27-2013   #156
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I clarified my comments several times starting with IMHO and concluding with not many RBs have returned from back surgery to be as successful as they were before they had they had back surgery. I'm not sure a medical degree is needed to make that assumption.
Neither is it needed to make the safe assumption that four neck surgeries is far more complicated and serious than a single back surgery.

Oh I'm sorry.. IMHO
Old 12-27-2013   #157
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Are you 15?
No, but even if I was it would be insignificant. Age is not an indicator of wisdom. A fact that you continue to prove true time and time again.
Old 12-27-2013   #158
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Age is not an indicator of wisdom.
It is statements like this that make me wonder.
Old 12-28-2013   #159
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
No. They can't. We have to go crazy to get to $17m.

Learn this site and how to use it. It explains a lot of things.
http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2013

ps Schaub will have $10.5M in dead money, not $7.5M.
ps..... If we cut Matt Schaub we'll gain $4M towards the cap. If we make him a June 1st cut, $7.5M will be pushed into 2014. Our 2014 cap would go up an additional $7.5M.... $11.5M to cut Matt Schaub in 2014.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans

says we're starting at $9M under the 2014 cap. Add the $11.5M from cutting Matt Schaub & we're at $20.5M

Cut Owen Daniels we save another $4.5M....... $25M

Cut Danieal Manning, another $4.5m....... $29.5M

Cut Brice McCain, just because we can; $800K...... $30.3M

Cut Tim Jamison; $730K...... $31M

Cut Derek Newton; $640K..... $31.6M

Cut Shilo Keo; $640K.... $32M

Cut Randy Bullock; $570K...... $32.5M

Cut Brandon Smelley; $570K..... $33M

Cut Alex Kupper; Jonathan Grimes; Case Keenum; Jawanza Starling; Evan Frierson; $2.5M.... $35.5M

& so far, the only thing going into the 2015 cap is Schaub's $7.5M dead money.

We can also renegotiate with Jjo & get another $5M, but we'll be pushing more dead money into 2015. Chris Myers, Duane Brown & (I believe) Andre Johnson could also renegotiate if needed.

& if you'd rather, we can cut Tj & keep Case. But Tj has won 3 regular season games & has play-off experience.

Lastly, this is not to throw away the 2014 season. This is to free up money to go after FA to help us win in 2014.
Old 12-28-2013   #160
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And you are?
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read