Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-27-2014   #221
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Trading down and getting picks for next two drafts looks enticing.
I would love to to see a perfect storm of trades go down. Move down to four for both Cleveland's first and and next years first. Then trade back up to two swapping two for four and give them our second round pick and our first next year.

We now have improved next years first round pick. Surely we will be better than Cleveland. And we turned our second round this year into a first.

I know I'm a homer.
Old 02-08-2014   #222
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top

TackleTwitterTalk, with Linda Richman

Quote:
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 2h
@MockingTheDraft @SI_DougFarrar I don't think its a system thing. Think NFL is going to obsess over Robinson, might be No 2 player for some

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft 2h
@SI_DougFarrar @JoshNorris They're both good enough to transcend system, to me. Better than last year's top OTs.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 2h
@MockingTheDraft @JoshNorris I've also seen Robinson lose on pad level and just get absolutely trucked.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 2h
@MockingTheDraft @JoshNorris Is a system thing, though? Matthews is more proficient to me, but Robinson is just a freakin' snowblower.

Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes 2h
@MockingTheDraft @JoshNorris Agreed, Robinson's footwork is still raw and we have to work harder to project him at the next level.

@ryanlownes @JoshNorris I still have some questions about Robinson's footwork in pass protection. Not so much with Matthews.

Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes 2h
@MockingTheDraft @JoshNorris Sorry to jump in, but I agree. Robinson more of a sexy option. His tape + size/athleticism will win teams over.

@JoshNorris I still prefer Matthews myself, but they're close and I can see why teams would prefer Robinson.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 2h
@MockingTheDraft Agree. I think it is an upset if Matthews goes ahead of Robinson.

Ignore your loved one and listen to our podcast: http://sbn.to/1e9EzzI I may have predicted Greg Robinson gets picked before Jake Matthews.

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
From a physical skills point of view I'm told Greg Robinson/T/Auburn looks like a freak during combine training- absolute beast...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #223
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top

TackleTwitterTalk, with Linda Richman
So these so called scouts are just now realizing what some of us have been saying for over a month.
Old 02-10-2014   #224
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So these so called scouts are just now realizing what some of us have been saying for over a month.
Longer.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #225
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
Happy birthday to Jake Matthews. Will have much to celebrate in three months. #top10draftpick
Old 02-13-2014   #226
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
Quote:
That said, I'm taking nothing away from Greg Robinson. He's a top six player in this class in my opinion and is an exciting talent.

If there is an injury and I need to make some changes up front, I trust that Matthews can step in at just about any offensive line spot.

I have always been very high on Greg Robinson and he may be the first off the board in May, but I don't care who I am - I'm going Matthews.

Me? I'm taking Jake Matthews. Polished, NFL-ready player with strong technique, good feet/balance, and the necessary toughness.

If you were picking near the top of the draft, which would you take to be your franchise left tackle: Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews?
Old 02-13-2014   #227
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you were picking near the top of the draft, which would you take to be your franchise left tackle?
If the question is "franchise" LT, then I think the answer is clearly Robinson. He has the potential to be that guy. I don't see Matthews as a "franchise" LT. He's a guy who can probably play any position on the front at a high level, but I don't see him as a pro-bowl caliber LT. Robinson could bust, but if he hits he will be a pro-bowl caliber LT and I think a "franchise" LT is someone who performs at that level. That's my take on it anyway.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2014   #228
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Stable Of Bros Ė Drew Hodgon on Jake Matthews
Quote:
Itís that time of year again, the pre-draft period, when your favorite NFL blogs overflow with the opinions of former scouts, wannabe scouts, critics of scouts, girls that have dated scouts, and every other scout except Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird. Many of these people do outstanding work, but thereís only so much of it one can stomach. In an effort to bring a little variety to the melange of player reports, Iíve asked a few fomer NFL players to give their opinions on some of this yearís prospects. I call them my Stable of Bros, and you will read them because Iíll go Incognito on you if you donít. Also, I figure theyíll have a slightly different perspective. Cool, right?

My first Bro Scout is Drew Hodgdon. He lives in Chicago and heís awesome. He was a center for several years with the Texans. He survived on guile, scrappiness, and a tempered scorn for defensive tackles. Drew knows his stuff. I used to make him take extra reps against me in practice because he did such a good job of exploiting my weaknesses. Hard to say that with a straight face, since I had zero weaknesses (You donít have access to film, right?). Drewís got an eye for this stuff and knows what heís talking about. Heíll be doing a player a day until he quits or at least until his form starts to suffer...
Old 02-20-2014   #229
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Video HT.com: http://t.co/4gS5t2QN89

Quote:
@jwyattsports: Asked Jake Matthews what his dad is up to. In Bruce-like fashion, he replied: "Nothing much. He just got fired."

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft
Quote:
Matthews said he'll do all drills at the combine.

Matthews on A&M being O-line university "I like that."

Jake Matthews said he never had any issues with what Johnny Manziel did off the field.
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Matthews commanding the room. Clearly intelligent and confident. Articulate and detailed answers pic.twitter.com/7AWwERLiFO

Matthews on Manziel: "You never know what to expect. He's all over the place." Also called him a good leader.

Matthews: "I thought Kony Ealy was tough. Big and strong. Mixed up pass moves well. Guys who mix it up are tough"

Jake Matthews on family NFL bloodlines: "I'd like to think I wasn't grandfathered in". Said no pressure

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-20-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2014   #230
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could not remember him. Here is his time with Texans per wiki:

He was selected by the Texans in the fifth round (151st overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. He saw action in four games during his rookie season, starting three, before being placed on the injured reserve list. He increased his playing time in his second season, when he saw action in eight games and started in five. He was released just before the 2007 season, but was resigned on December 4, 2007. Some time after, he was released once more, never to be seen or heard from again. However, that changed on November 2013, when he talked on a Houston radio station. He talked about the Texans miserable season and a bike wreck.[1]
Old 02-21-2014   #231
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Eric SanInocencio ‏@EricSan
Quote:
RT @nfl: 24 reps on the bench press for @AggieFootball's Jake Matthews. https://vine.co/v/MmubrLHrw5j #NFLCombine
Old 02-21-2014   #232
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably not what he wanted, but 24 is still a good number. Wont be in the top 15 performers in the OL though.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #233
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eric SanInocencio ‏@EricSan
Exact same as Duane Brown's.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #234
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Exact same as Duane Brown's.
This is one of those drills that make you go hmmmm?

I dont understand how this gives them insight to a players ability to play football and I dont understand how their number of reps can help differentiate them from one another.
Old 02-21-2014   #235
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
This is one of those drills that make you go hmmmm?

I dont understand how this gives them insight to a players ability to play football and I dont understand how their number of reps can help differentiate them from one another.
Strength in the upper body in a series of reps which mimicks the number of plays in a long controlled drive seems pretty significant to me. The weaker ones will have problems in the NFL unless they find an alternative like hand skills.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #236
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather see a powerball toss than a Bench Press burnout. How likely is it that Matthews will ever be forced to push a defender 24 consecutive times without any rest whatsoever?

Powerball toss measures explosive power, which is far more important than muscular endurance.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #237
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Strength in the upper body in a series of reps which mimicks the number of plays in a long controlled drive seems pretty significant to me. The weaker ones will have problems in the NFL unless they find an alternative like hand skills.
Thats what you are going with? Bench press simulates a series of plays in a long drive down the field? Significant?

Bench press has little to do with a players ability. I dont think I have to spell it out but if a player does 5, then yes you have a problem, but all these prospects do about 20-30.
Old 02-21-2014   #238
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'd rather see a powerball toss than a Bench Press burnout. How likely is it that Matthews will ever be forced to push a defender 24 consecutive times without any rest whatsoever?

Powerball toss measures explosive power, which is far more important than muscular endurance.
Exactly. I am more worried about explosion (broad jump/vertical leap) and change of direction (cone drills) than bench press.
Old 02-21-2014   #239
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Greg Robinson put up 32 reps of 225 lbs on the bench
Matthews 33 3/8" & 24 reps
Robinson 35" & 32 reps

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23
Quote:
130 pancake blocks for Robinson
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Quote:
The power to knock people off the ball comes from a mans lower body and snap thru his hips not the bench

People are getting overly concerned about bench reps. They shouldn't. It is not an indicator of power. It's more endurance strength
Old 02-21-2014   #240
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Thats what you are going with? Bench press simulates a series of plays in a long drive down the field? Significant?

Bench press has little to do with a players ability. I dont think I have to spell it out but if a player does 5, then yes you have a problem, but all these prospects do about 20-30.
BP is important for OL and DL, it indicates upper body strength. Important indicator for initial punch, controlling and directing opponent, leverage. < 25 225 reps says player needs to get stronger.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read