Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-21-2014   #181
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
But where he went to school and who his daddy is are two main reasons why he is so highly rated around here, both of which have nothing to do with his own ability.
He has been listed in the top 5 players all around the country very consistently. What is this "around here" you speak of?

I am not in favor of drafting him high and have said so on many occasions, but I think you are over-playing the whose your daddy/school card.
Old 01-21-2014   #182
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He has been listed in the top 5 players all around the country very consistently. What is this "around here" you speak of?

I am not in favor of drafting him high and have said so on many occasions, but I think you are over-playing the whose your daddy/school card.
I think he is a very good prospect but all of the #1 overall talk on this board came mainly from A&M fans (of which we have quite a few, Houston and College Station being so close) and those who would point to the success of his father, despite them being two different players.

This is a total guess but I imagine if there were a poll among NFL fanbases on what Matthews' future holds he would score highest in Houston.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #183
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think he is a very good prospect but all of the #1 overall talk on this board came mainly from A&M fans (of which we have quite a few, Houston and College Station being so close) and those who would point to the success of his father, despite them being two different players.

This is a total guess but I imagine if there were a poll among NFL fanbases on what Matthews' future holds he would score highest in Houston.
You are probably correct on the polling. My point is he is legitimately in the conversation based on national reviews. It's not like elsewhere he is ranked like Duane Brown coming out and only getting top pick play around here.
Old 01-21-2014   #184
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The whose your daddy/school card has drawn as much or more criticism than support. He is probably NFL ready at a position that often takes a couple of years. He has been ranked highly NATIONALLY, but is moving up and down the boards as time goes by as most players do this time of year.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #185
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Which makes the people that were saying we should use our first overall on him look even more foolish, and there were several.
For the record, I don't know & didn't know if he would be a LT or not.... still don't. My stance was if he grades out to be a LT, & I even said it doesn't have to be Matthews, Lewan, or Robinson... if any of them grades out to be a LT I would draft him over Bridgewater if Bridgewater doesn't grade out to be a franchise QB.

I don't want to draft a QB just because we need one especially if there is talent worthy of the #1 overall available, be it a WR, a DE, a CB, or a LT...... even a RB, but I don't think they exist anymore.

Now you may believe Bridgewater grades out as a franchise QB. I don't. I think he'll probably be a solid starter, worthy of a first round pick, but not necessarily the #1 overall, I'm not sold that he is the best player in this draft.
Old 01-22-2014   #186
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Mathews name isn't just locally known. Don't forget Clay sr of the browns and jr In Greenbay. Hat name carries a lot of weight all over the national footbal league.
Old 01-22-2014   #187
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Now you may believe Bridgewater grades out as a franchise QB. I don't. I think he'll probably be a solid starter, worthy of a first round pick, but not necessarily the #1 overall, I'm not sold that he is the best player in this draft.
What is your list of players who are worthy of the #1 overall pick?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2014   #188
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
They all have warts... we'll pull a Minnesota and drop back a couple spots before we draft
Old 01-22-2014   #189
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unfortunately no one this year. Just my opinion. Trade down if possible.
We have many needs.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #190
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For the record, I don't know & didn't know if he would be a LT or not.... still don't. My stance was if he grades out to be a LT, & I even said it doesn't have to be Matthews, Lewan, or Robinson... if any of them grades out to be a LT I would draft him over Bridgewater if Bridgewater doesn't grade out to be a franchise QB.

I don't want to draft a QB just because we need one especially if there is talent worthy of the #1 overall available, be it a WR, a DE, a CB, or a LT...... even a RB, but I don't think they exist anymore.

Let me relate these to Madden Grades and the draft.

If you've got Clowney at a 96, Matthews as a 94 and some other prospect (Say Anthony Barr) at 93, but you have either Bridgewater or Manziel even close to those dudes in your grades, and you need a QB, you have to take one of those two QB's. I don't have to explain to you how important QB's are in this game, and I'm sure you understand how difficult in can be to get a QB who can be a game breaker.

Maybe in your evaluations of whatever you don't think Teddy or Johnny can be those guys and thats fine then go with whomever. But if your honest evaluations put either of the QB's close to the guys who you think will be the best players from the draft you almost have to take the QB. It's really that simple.
Old 01-22-2014   #191
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know any of these kids. I don't watch college football. I feel like I know what a franchise QB is, the prototype anyway. Bridgewater doesn't meet them, imo. He's falls short on several points.

I've been spending what little time I have looking at QBs, I haven't looked at other positions, which is why I've always said "if"
Old 01-22-2014   #192
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

If you've got Clowney at a 96, Matthews as a 94 and some other prospect (Say Anthony Barr) at 93, but you have either Bridgewater or Manziel even close to those dudes in your grades, and you need a QB, you have to take one of those two QB's. I don't have to explain to you how important QB's are in this game, and I'm sure you understand how difficult in can be to get a QB who can be a game breaker.

Maybe in your evaluations of whatever you don't think Teddy or Johnny can be those guys and thats fine then go with whomever. But if your honest evaluations put either of the QB's close to the guys who you think will be the best players from the draft you almost have to take the QB. It's really that simple.
Agreed. I've never said any different.

In other words, I don't have Johnny, or Teddy that close to prototypical.
Old 01-22-2014   #193
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

You're expressing a common QB centric viewpoint. I for one, think this is overdone. But it is the root of our differences in whether to trade down, pick another player or take the best QB. Your football worldview will determine your position for the most part.

I'd like to see how many Superbowls were won by the highest paid QB that season. I suspect very few since most of the rewards come after the Superbowl has been won rather than before it.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #194
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know any of these kids. I don't watch college football. I feel like I know what a franchise QB is, the prototype anyway. Bridgewater doesn't meet them, imo. He's falls short on several points.

I've been spending what little time I have looking at QBs, I haven't looked at other positions, which is why I've always said "if"
You say you are not sold that Teddy is the best player in the draft, yet you admit that you don't watch college football and don't know any of these "kids."

Teddy is not in the 1983 draft, 2004 or even 2011 draft. He is in the 2014 draft and is a lock as a top 5 pick. You may not think he is a franchise QB, but none of these kids are. They are potential franchise QBs.

You still dont like Teddy as a prospect? Ok, then give us an alternative besides trading down to a mythical team who is willing to mortgage its future on the same player(s) that you are ready to get away from.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #195
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
You say you are not sold that Teddy is the best player in the draft, yet you admit that you don't watch college football and don't know any of these "kids."

Teddy is not in the 1983 draft, 2004 or even 2011 draft. He is in the 2014 draft and is a lock as a top 5 pick. You may not think he is a franchise QB, but none of these kids are. They are potential franchise QBs.

You still dont like Teddy as a prospect? Ok, then give us an alternative besides trading down to a mythical team who is willing to mortgage its future on the same player(s) that you are ready to get away from.
If Sammy Watkins turns out to be the best player in this draft, I'd draft him. I'd sign Freeman, then draft Mettenberger in the 2nd, or McCarron in the third. I think it's just as possible for them to turn into a franchise QB as Bridgewater & Manziel.

Imagine Freeman throwing the ball to Aj, Hopkins, & Watkins. Or better yet Metenberger or McCarron beating Freeman for the starting job. If we get a RT in the third, or Brennan pans out
Old 01-22-2014   #196
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Sammy Watkins turns out to be the best player in this draft, I'd draft him. I'd sign Freeman, then draft Mettenberger in the 2nd, or McCarron in the third. I think it's just as possible for them to turn into a franchise QB as Bridgewater & Manziel.

Imagine Freeman throwing the ball to Aj, Hopkins, & Watkins. Or better yet Metenberger or McCarron beating Freeman for the starting job. If we get a RT in the third, or Brennan pans out
Josh Freeman...Josh freaking Freeman? You know he is a terrible QB and is probably out of the league for good, he couldn't beat out Christian Ponder or Matt Cassel for a job and you want to sign him?
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #197
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It doesn't matter if he's throwing to Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Calvin Johnson. The dude is a horrible QB. Giving him talent doesn't change that.

This is the same problem the Texans already fell into. Surround a mediocre QB with great talent and he will elevate. No, he won't. He'll still be the same mediocre QB, just with better weapons.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #198
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Josh Freeman...Josh freaking Freeman? You know he is a terrible QB and is probably out of the league for good, he couldn't beat out Christian Ponder or Matt Cassel for a job and you want to sign him?
Are you familiar with the situation he was in this year?
Old 01-22-2014   #199
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The situation that had everyone buzzing around Mike Glennon?
Old 01-22-2014   #200
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yes very familiar. He showed promise in 2010 his first full year starting, and then regressed a lot in 2011. His numbers ticked back up in 2012 but he still didn't look to be taking big strides and then this year he really took a plummet before getting release and picked up by the Vikings. They gave him a decent chunk of change and made it obvious they planned to start him, and then he bombed big time in the Monday night game against the Gaints, couldn't hit the broadside of the barn. He is not a good QB, anyone that watches him knows that. Mike Glennon came in as a rookie and looked way better than him in the same Bucs offense.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read