Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2014   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans: The "Marathon" is a Mirage!

During this slow bye week, I keep thinking about how many Texans coaches and players over the years have used the saying “No reason to be concerned so soon...........The season is a marathon.....not a sprint” when things are going somewhat less than ideal........i.e., losing games.

Well you may be able to apply that to MLB baseball with its 162 games and to NBA basketball with its 82 games...............but not to NFL football with its 16 games.

The NFL football season is NOT a marathon. It’s a sprint all the way..........with hurdles..........lots of hurdles, and the Texans have usually already tripped too many times by the time the end is in sight........and only then do they finally realize that it was a sprint all along after all.

As opposed to what I have witnessed over so many years as a Texans fan, the concept of “urgency” should be instilled to be felt by the players and coaches from day one, not after most of the season has been muddled through with a sense of “Oh well......there’s always tomorrow.” Here in Houston, it would certainly be nice for once not to find ourselves at the end of the season saying “Oh well..........there’s always next season.”

Thank you for allowing me to vent.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans: The "Marathon" is a Mirage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaknnndagger View Post
during this slow bye week, i keep thinking about how many texans coaches and players over the years have used the saying “no reason to be concerned so soon...........the season is a marathon.....not a sprint” when things are going somewhat less than ideal........i.e., losing games.

Well you may be able to apply that to mlb baseball with its 162 games and to nba basketball with its 82 games...............but not to nfl football with its 16 games.

The nfl football season is not a marathon. It’s a sprint all the way..........with hurdles..........lots of hurdles, and the texans have usually already tripped too many times by the time the end is in sight........and only then do they finally realize that it was a sprint all along after all.

As opposed to what i have witnessed over so many years as a texans fan, the concept of “urgency” should be instilled to be felt by the players and coaches from day one, not after most of the season has been muddled through with a sense of “oh well......there’s always tomorrow.” here in houston, it would certainly be nice for once not to find ourselves at the end of the season saying “oh well..........there’s always next season.”

thank you for allowing me to vent.

vent on!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2014   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that is for fan consumption like "any given Sunday" or whatever. I imagine the urgency is imprinted by coaches..even if it does not always show on field. I still want to see basic blocking, tackling and no offensive players jumping off sides.
Old 11-07-2014   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 119243 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's a marathon from the respect that it takes year round work, but during the regular season each game is a sprint all it's own
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #5
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Arm tackles and being out of position just doesn't cut it in the NFL anymore. We need to add killer instinct to the sense of urgency. If we get a lead, we just pi** it off.
Old 11-07-2014   #6
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell yeah!

I want my team to just kick the shit out of their opponents. I can't stand the get a lead, and then sit on it. Keep scoring and shove it down their fkin throats!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What is this "get a lead" thing?
Old 11-07-2014   #8
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What is this "get a lead" thing?
Ooooooh yeah!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Well you may be able to apply that to MLB baseball with its 162 games and to NBA basketball with its 82 games...............but not to NFL football with its 16 games.

The NFL football season is NOT a marathon. It’s a sprint all the way..........with hurdles..........lots of hurdles, and the Texans have usually already tripped too many times by the time the end is in sight........and only then do they finally realize that it was a sprint all along after all.
I get what you're saying, but the difference here is that this is a very physical sport. The idea of going to an 18 game season... extending the current season by 2 games, is a huge consideration.

If, for instance, Gronkowski gets hurt again, New England's promising season could turn dismal pretty quick...

The final stretch starts in December. Hopefully we haven't fallen too far behind.
Old 11-08-2014   #10
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
During this slow bye week, I keep thinking about how many Texans coaches and players over the years have used the saying “No reason to be concerned so soon...........The season is a marathon.....not a sprint” when things are going somewhat less than ideal........i.e., losing games.

As opposed to what I have witnessed over so many years as a Texans fan, the concept of “urgency” should be instilled to be felt by the players and coaches from day one, not after most of the season has been muddled through with a sense of “Oh well......there’s always tomorrow.” Here in Houston, it would certainly be nice for once not to find ourselves at the end of the season saying “Oh well..........there’s always next season.”

Thank you for allowing me to vent.
This is interesting since you warn us of the dangers of putting INJURED players back before they have recovered fully. There must be a tension between urgency and caution and I lean to the caution side, at least until elimination games.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #11
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Now let's try to get the team to understand that each game is a sprint as well. It would be nice to get away from all these slow starts.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #12
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not a marathon. I don't watch marathons. It's football. Skinny ****ers from Ethiopia can't play football. I watch football, eat food that is bad for you, and enjoy a cold beverage. Beats the hell out of training for a marathon ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The team doctors seem to have a sense of urgency.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #14
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice to have an elite QB, receiver(s)*, TE(s), RB(s)*, o-line, defense*, ST play, and elite coaching. Also nice - ownership that is not just in it for the money.

It would be nice to beat the elite teams at nite on prime time, instead of finding a way to always muck it up when the stage gets big- when it's time to prove you are for real.

Inevitably something will be missing or out of balance.

Houston Football.

* in their prime/ no hamstring/back/groin problems and some help for JJ
Old 11-08-2014   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Over and over, you see times where teams start off strong and then falter and either miss the playoffs or back into them.

And other times, teams don't play well early and then sneak into the playoffs and do well.

Whether you consider it a sprint or a marathon, the analogy works the same: it doesn't matter how you start or finish, it just matters where you are at the end.

At 4-5, we're not out of this. We could get hot, run the table, and finish 11-5 and get into the playoffs. It has happened before and it will happen again. OR we could go cold and finish 4-12. It's happened before and it will happen again.

So, yeah, I get the frustration. Everyone wants to be the team that dominates every game and is the front-runner from beginning to end. I'd love that. But this is a marathon because there's still a lot of football to play.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
This is interesting since you warn us of the dangers of putting INJURED players back before they have recovered fully. There must be a tension between urgency and caution and I lean to the caution side, at least until elimination games.
I was speaking in terms of apparent minimizing the importance of their poor play, poor decision-making and recurrent mistakes game to game in search for a better outcome in the "marathon".........NOT in terms of injuries. But since you bring this up, the Texans in terms of handling injuries can also then be categorized as falling into the game-to-game very short-sighted "poor decision-making" category for a better outcome in the "marathon."

All aspects of "urgency" must be focused on obtaining the best outcome in the "marathon." Playing injured players seldom leads to this end.
Old 11-08-2014   #17
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was speaking in terms of apparent minimizing the importance of their poor play, poor decision-making and recurrent mistakes game to game in search for a better outcome in the "marathon".........NOT in terms of injuries. But since you bring this up, the Texans in terms of handling injuries can also then be categorized as falling into the game-to-game very short-sighted "poor decision-making" category for a better outcome in the "marathon."

All aspects of "urgency" must be focused on obtaining the best outcome in the "marathon." Playing injured players seldom leads to this end.
OK. That makes more sense to me. I was off track just a little. I guess I was just finishing a long list of (Clowney is a wimp) posts and immediately thought of injuries.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I don't think that venting was about whether or when to play guys who are injured. I think it was about the length of time it took O'Brien to see what we've been seeing (and some of us felt when he was signed) for weeks: That Fitz won't get it done.
Correct me if I'm mis-reading you Doc.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #19
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps a better analogy is that an NFL coaching regime (in our case, the Bill O'Brien regime), is like a war with a series of battles, each battle being roughly equivalent to a single season. If the initial battles are lost very decisively, it might make for a very brief war (and a very brief tenure for the HCs regime). If there's some early victories, then the war may go on for quite some time. And ultimately the only way to win the war is to win a SB.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I don't think that venting was about whether or when to play guys who are injured. I think it was about the length of time it took O'Brien to see what we've been seeing (and some of us felt when he was signed) for weeks: That Fitz won't get it done.
Correct me if I'm mis-reading you Doc.
That was certainly one "biggie."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read