Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-11-2014   #1
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 8289 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anybody notice?

The Packers moved Matthews from OLB to ILB for last nights game against the Bears? The experiment worked well---11 tackles, 1.5 sacks (would have been 2.5 if they hadn't taken one away for a suspect penalty).

Brooks Reed?
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anybody notice?

Lots of us think Reed would be great at ILB. He's got the size to handle the punishment, smarts to diagnose the play, enough speed to handle pass coverage on RB's and TE's and zone coverages, and enough speed to blitz the middle. I think he could take Cushings job.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #3
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Lots of us think Reed would be great at ILB. He's got the size to handle the punishment, smarts to diagnose the play, enough speed to handle pass coverage on RB's and TE's and zone coverages, and enough speed to blitz the middle. I think he could take Cushings job.
There's a reason he's not playing inside backer. Reed is a tweener that worked well in college but has no real position in the NFL. In an ideal world he would be relegated to special teams and backup duties.
Old 11-11-2014   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Nothing I've seen from Reed tells me he has the instincts to play MLB/ILB.
Old 11-11-2014   #5
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

IDK..not much of a tape guy, but I've read before and heard on T.V that he's pretty good at the non-showy stats. Containing, covering, something about making a lot of reads in a short amount of time. Maybe that was Wade's D though...
Old 11-11-2014   #6
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66838 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
The Packers moved Matthews from OLB to ILB for last nights game against the Bears? The experiment worked well---
You mean the same thing the Texans did with Cushing?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #7
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28340 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

With the emergence of Mercilus & the expected (someday) return of Clowney, I could see Reed moving inside at some point this year. You always want to put your best players on the field. If Cushing can ever get healed enough to stay on the field, I believe Reed would compliment Cushing very well.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2014   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Oh..... yeah.
Old 11-11-2014   #9
Mollywhopper
Facilitator

Rep Power: 42914 Mollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Nothing I've seen from Reed tells me he has the instincts to play MLB/ILB.
So his so-so apple production has convinced you he wouldn't be able to make good oranges?
Mollywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
With the emergence of Mercilus & the expected (someday) return of Clowney, I could see Reed moving inside at some point this year. You always want to put your best players on the field. If Cushing can ever get healed enough to stay on the field, I believe Reed would compliment Cushing very well.
I think Tarpinian is a great compliment to Cushing & doubt Reed could do it any better. The problem is we don't have a replacement for Cushing... we may not even have Cushing.

In years past I was supportive of moving Reed inside. I didn't (don't) care for what he's doing on the outside & we didn't have any decent ILBs next to Cushing. Now... we've got decent to good players to compliment Cush.

I no longer care about moving Brooks inside.
Old 11-11-2014   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Was not the same thing because Cushing was palying the SAM in a 4-3 where
the edge rushers are the DEs while Mathews was moved from a position where he was an edge rusher to playing ILB where he's not. Very surprising, and I suspect that Mathews wasn't too pleased with the switch.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Was not the same thing because Cushing was palying the SAM in a 4-3 where
the edge rushers are the DEs while Mathews was moved from a position where he was an edge rusher to playing ILB where he's not. Very surprising, and I suspect that Mathews wasn't too pleased with the switch.
Cushing played a combo role where he was the edge rusher about half the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read