Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2014   #141
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm not going to be bashing Rick Smith right now as he has made me pretty happy as a fan with his last hire.

A lot of people may dislike Rick Smith (I have been one of them), but he played a hand in hiring O'Brien and him and Bob both decided that "they" needed to adapt as management and find a guy that had a lot of the opposite characteristics of what Kubiak was. Kudos to Rick Smith for recognizing the big changes that this team needed after this season we just had. Him and Kubes were always tight and Kubiak played a big hand in getting him hired here, so Rick always "owed" some loyalty to Kubiak which I hated, but none the less I understood it. Now that Kubiak is gone, I don't know if Rick's philosophy as a GM will be quite the same. I guess we're just going to have to watch and see how things play out over the next few years. But as of now, Rick Smith just made a great decision as a GM in my eyes and if it turns this franchise around for many years I'd say that Rick Smith has learned a few things possibly which is all I can ask of a fan. Learn from your mistakes and don't frequently repeat them. Rick just might be learning and "ADAPTING" as crazy as that sounds.
Hope you're right. Proof will be in the pudding.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #142
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm not going to be bashing Rick Smith right now as he has made me pretty happy as a fan with his last hire.

A lot of people may dislike Rick Smith (I have been one of them), but he played a hand in hiring O'Brien and him and Bob both decided that "they" needed to adapt as management and find a guy that had a lot of the opposite characteristics of what Kubiak was. Kudos to Rick Smith for recognizing the big changes that this team needed after this season we just had. Him and Kubes were always tight and Kubiak played a big hand in getting him hired here, so Rick always "owed" some loyalty to Kubiak which I hated, but none the less I understood it. Now that Kubiak is gone, I don't know if Rick's philosophy as a GM will be quite the same. I guess we're just going to have to watch and see how things play out over the next few years. But as of now, Rick Smith just made a great decision as a GM in my eyes and if it turns this franchise around for many years I'd say that Rick Smith has learned a few things possibly which is all I can ask of a fan. Learn from your mistakes and don't frequently repeat them. Rick just might be learning and "ADAPTING" as crazy as that sounds.
hahaha dis is funny RIck found and helped bring in BOB HAHAHAH

whats to find Bill o brein and Lovie were the two hottest coaches in the nation ..???? the media was talking about bill like 6 months ago has the top F/a Coach

bill wanted to go anywere has long has he was out of the polotics and train wreck that is penn state
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #143
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Use the same methodology and check out the other 31 teams.... I'm not sure how many "superstars" you expect a guy to draft...

Rick isn't going anywhere this year. That fact was clear if you watched the press conference today. Only McNair, and others in the inner circle of the organization know which decisions were ultimately Smith's and which were Kubiak's... Still, we just removed a coach in the middle of the season who took a roster built by Rick Smith to consecutive 12 win seasons. So, was the coaching that good in 2011 and 2012? If so, why fire the guy that took a poorly drafted roster into the playoffs? Or, was Kubiak justly fired for dramatically failing to get the best out of a roster that one season earlier was capable of 12-4 regular season...

Perhaps the foundation of this team was built on Quin, Casey, Barwin... and their loss destroyed the team's ability to compete... If so, do we blame Rick Smith for their loss or credit him with drafting three players in the middle rounds that are so impactful on an NFL team so early in their respective careers?

Those of you who are so adamant about what an awful coach Kubiak was and how poorly Rick Smith drafted, please explain how this team won so many games in 2011 and 2012 and yet only won two games in 2013. And please, do us all a favor and don't attribute it to luck... or scheduling. This is the NFL!

its easy to win 10 games in 11 games IN THE """Regular season""""" when u go

6-10

8-8

8-8

9-7

6-10

talk about a slow and steady 5 year Rebuildng plan I would hope some fruits of rick and kubes come to reality LOL

but its all the stuff Rick did within those 5 years of medoricty that throw up red flags to me
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #144
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
hahaha dis is funny RIck found and helped bring in BOB HAHAHAH

whats to find Bill o brein and Lovie were the two hottest coaches in the nation ..???? the media was talking about bill like 6 months ago has the top F/a Coach

bill wanted to go anywere has long has he was out of the polotics and train wreck that is penn state
And we landed the hottest coaching candidate, that doesn't just happen on accident. If BOB took this job just to get "out of the polotics and train wreck that is penn state" why did he turn down Cleveland last season?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #145
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
And we landed the hottest coaching candidate, that doesn't just happen on accident. If BOB took this job just to get "out of the polotics and train wreck that is penn state" why did he turn down Cleveland last season?
Yeah cos that was a great HC gig to take...
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #146
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Yeah cos that was a great HC gig to take...
As he was implying that he only took the job to leave PSU it is a valid observation. He was also wanted this season by the Lions and Vikings so he had options
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #147
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
its easy to win 10 games in 11 games IN THE """Regular season""""" when u go

6-10

8-8

8-8

9-7

6-10

talk about a slow and steady 5 year Rebuildng plan I would hope some fruits of rick and kubes come to reality LOL

but its all the stuff Rick did within those 5 years of medoricty that throw up red flags to me
Who cares about the question: was Rick Smith a good GM in 2007?

I only care about this question: Is he a good GM now?

He was going to have a severe learning curve given his lack of experience and his youth.
Old 01-05-2014   #148
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
As he was implying that he only took the job to leave PSU it is a valid observation. He was also wanted this season by the Lions and Vikings so he had options
Not really, he would obviously want to get out of PSU at the first good opportunity, I'd say he showed excellent judgement to stay on another year at PSU and avoid the Browns' regime change.

He was pretty much signed by the time any other NFL HC GIGS came up as well.

I think the Texans played a blinder by firing Kubiak early and putting themselves at the head of the queue, they went out and got their favourite candidate lets just hope they made the right choice.

I think the real reason that Rick Smith avoided the chop is because the Texans top brass felt that Kubiak had too much control I've the draft process and Rick Smith was marginalised in that department, this is backed up by the leak earlier in the season which said as much.

McNair knows better than anyone on this forum exactly how our draft board looked each year from the FO, and how that was affected by what Kubiak wanted. He also knows who it was that decided guys like Jacoby, Holliday, Chris jones etc were allowed to leave and be productive elsewhere, and why our coaching staff wasn't capable of getting production out of them here.

Rick Smith still being around would lead me to believe that a lot of the issues with talent on our roster aren't his doing.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #149
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Not really, he would obviously want to get out of PSU at the first good opportunity, I'd say he showed excellent judgement to stay on another year at PSU and avoid the Browns' regime change.

He was pretty much signed by the time any other NFL HC GIGS came up as well.

I think the Texans played a blinder by firing Kubiak early and putting themselves at the head of the queue, they went out and got their favourite candidate lets just hope they made the right choice.

I think the real reason that Rick Smith avoided the chop is because the Texans top brass felt that Kubiak had too much control I've the draft process and Rick Smith was marginalised in that department, this is backed up by the leak earlier in the season which said as much.

McNair knows better than anyone on this forum exactly how our draft board looked each year from the FO, and how that was affected by what Kubiak wanted. He also knows who it was that decided guys like Jacoby, Holliday, Chris jones etc were allowed to leave and be productive elsewhere, and why our coaching staff wasn't capable of getting production out of them here.

Rick Smith still being around would lead me to believe that a lot of the issues with talent on our roster aren't his doing.

Yep. Marciano getting fired 2 seconds after Kubaik told me all I need to know. It's likely that the big bosses wanted Marciano gone a while ago, but Kubiak wouldn't allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #150
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

tweets read bottom-to-top....

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
#Texans GM Rick Smith said he's seeing everything he saw in Bill O'Brien during interview process here at #SeniorBowl. Hard work, inovative

Rick Smith said with 1st pick in each rd, picking the best player available is what #Texans plan to do. Added it adds flexibility in draft 2

Rick Smith said the HC experience Romeo Crennel has is something BOB will be able to constantly draw from. RS called RC "Special". #Texans

Don't be surprised if #Texans and Bill O'Brien don't hire an OC.

"it starts with the coaches & coaching staff & we're working to put that whole thing together." - RS. #Texans have OL, OC spots left.

"We've got a lot of things to do to correct what happened to us last year." - #Texans GM Rick Smith at #SeniorBowl
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #151
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
tweets read bottom-to-top....

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN

One of those things on the Texans to do list should be the firing of Rick Smith.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #152
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
One of those things on the Texans to do list should be the firing of Rick Smith.
As long as OB is innovative about it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #153
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i have never heard of a team without an OC. has it ever happened before?

surely it can't be true and we hire someone

Last edited by aussie_texan; 01-21-2014 at 07:12 PM.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #154
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i have never heard of a team with an OC. has it ever happened before?

Good question, don't have an answer.

OB will hire/appoint an OC and create a chain of command after whatever period of time he needs to feel his OC is trained in his style & he trusts his playcalling. But I kind of appreciate the honesty of, "I'm functionally the OC right now, not going to hang a title on some guy just for appearances."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #155
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:

OB will hire/appoint an OC and create a chain of command after whatever period of time he needs to feel his OC is trained in his style & he trusts his playcalling. But I kind of appreciate the honesty of, "I'm functionally the OC right now, not going to hang a title on some guy just for appearances."

Agree, but I'm a little worried about the whole "struggling to transition into head coaching duties while also calling plays."

Kubiak was lousy at juggling head coaching and playcalling duties. But I guess I'll give O'Brien the benefit of the doubt that he has an elevated skill set.

Old 01-21-2014   #156
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i have never heard of a team with an OC. has it ever happened before?

I think the Patriots have done this. I think there was a period after Josh McDaniel's left where OB was calling the plays but he was not the "Offensive Coordinator".
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #157
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think the Patriots have done this. I think there was a period after Josh McDaniel's left where OB was calling the plays but he was not the "Offensive Coordinator".

Ah ok. Think I get it now. There may be someone else on staff who could eventually transition into playcalling. Ok that makes sense, somewhat.

Old 01-21-2014   #158
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
thats interesting. thanks
Old 01-21-2014   #159
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

his certainly a different coach than we are used to. can't wait for training camp
Old 01-21-2014   #160
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Did the Texans ever have a ln OC under Kubiak? Dennison could have been a blowup doll and made the same impact on the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read