Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2013   #121
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If you could steal 1 player in the NFL for the Texans besides a QB, who would he

I'm of the opinion that many of these draft & FA failures were on Kubiak moreso than Smith largely b/c of how Smith was essentially hired by Kubiak. Smith may have felt he had to acquiese to Kubiak and his scheme b/c of that....maybe a little too much.

I'm hoping that Smith's track record will be much better in the first 3 rounds now that Kubiak is gone..... if he is afforded the chance to bring in his own guy that is.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #122
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: If you could steal 1 player in the NFL for the Texans besides a QB, who would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
See... here's where you're making your first mistake.

We drafted a stud outside linebacker and moved him inside where he was DROY. If you draft Willis, you can move Demeco back out to what was then his originally planned position. That gives you a dominant linebacking corp.
I think a lot of that was fan conjecture. DeMeco played OLB in college but many of his scouting reports projected him as being better inside in the NFL. I don't recall the Texans ever making a definitive statement of what they intended when they drafted him. They tried him out at both when he arrived and he immediately showed leadership and smarts they wanted calling the plays in the middle. Now that doesn't mean he could not be moved outside. For that matter I bet Willis could play either as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I'm of the opinion that many of these draft & FA failures were on Kubiak moreso than Smith largely b/c of how Smith was essentially hired by Kubiak. Smith may have felt he had to acquiese to Kubiak and his scheme b/c of that....maybe a little too much.
I doubt Kubiak over-controlled the defense draft picks. I bet those were left to Smith (former DB) and the DC.
Old 12-18-2013   #123
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If you could steal 1 player in the NFL for the Texans besides a QB, who would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

I doubt Kubiak over-controlled the defense draft picks. I bet those were left to Smith (former DB) and the DC.
probably, & if that's the case i don't really consider his picks on the defensive side of the ball to be that bad...that's where most of our stalwart players are..& there are at least a couple on that side who could emerge (K-Jax, Mercilus, Swearinger, Williams).
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #124
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think a lot of that was fan conjecture. DeMeco played OLB in college but many of his scouting reports projected him as being better inside in the NFL. I don't recall the Texans ever making a definitive statement of what they intended when they drafted him. They tried him out at both when he arrived and he immediately showed leadership and smarts they wanted calling the plays in the middle. Now that doesn't mean he could not be moved outside. For that matter I bet Willis could play either as well.
From what I recall, they started off with Demeco outside. Then Kailee Wong went down (or didn't come back) and they tried Demeco at the inside spot. And he was better than anyone else on the team. I seem to faintly recall they were trying Orr at that spot.

Still, if you've got the shot to get two great linebackers on your team, you might as well do it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #125
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I dunno about that since I seem to recall it being Kubiak's decision to transition to a 4-3 from the Capers 3-4 after his arrival on the scene ? In other words, Kubiak had far more than a mere passing interest about the defense, it's personnel, and schemes.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read