Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2013   #81
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would Your Trade the 1st Pick for Rg3?

No. A thousand times NO.

Our offensive line needs fixing before any frigging QB no matter who the **** it is. I want to see the O line fixed in the off season. Then lets talk QB.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #82
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of posters are overstating how bad the offensive line is. Our next LG is already on the roster (Quessenberry) and we just need a RT which aren't that hard to find. We are right in the middle of the league in sacks allowed and that's mostly because one player (Newton) is terrible. We have a frigging Pro Bowl LT and center for crying out loud, we don't need an All Pro o line to win games.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #83
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
A good GM can leverage a high pick for more choices and still get the guy they have targeted when it's not an over-hyped QB.

I don't care what QB they bring in here, if the line cannot consistently protect him, he's going to struggle and most likely fail.

A good line can make a decent QB look good, and a good QB look great. And if you happen on a great QB with an awesome line, you are looking at a formula for long term success and Super Bowl potential.

I know McNair wants playoff contention in 2014 and does not want to be seen as a rebuild year, but that is either naively shortsighted or wishful thinking on his part. This team does not have a starting QB, does not have a HC, and most likely has to install a new offense. To expect immediate results is setting himself up. Yeah, it can happen, but let's not be ready to jump off bridges if immediate gratification is not satisfied.

I have no problem with a 2 year "rebuild" to re-stock players and fully implement new schemes. They will have high picks in every round, so do it right and make both the offensive and defensive lines something to build on for the long term future, IMO.
Well stated and I agree. I can take a 2-3 year rebuild but I'm too damned old for a 20 year hunt-n-peck till ya get lucky "remodel" and so is McNair. I hope THIS head-hunter that he hired can talk some sense into him. I want to see Tiffany raised in our house before I croak.

Is that to f'in much to ask?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #84
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Nope. Getting RGIII is also aquiring RGII. I don't need no baby daddy drama.
Baby daddy? What in the world are you talking about? RGIII doesn't have a "baby daddy." He has a father. His parents have been married for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #85
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
With rg3 shut down for the season were about to see an audition from cousins.

Anyone fancy him for a 2nd?
Depending how he shows, yeah, one here. I've been impressed when he came in cold and covered for the damaged goods. To my untrained eye he looked pretty damn good. Not easily rattled and made plays. That's what we need isn't it?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #86
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Depending how he shows, yeah, one here. I've been impressed when he came in cold and covered for the damaged goods. To my untrained eye he looked pretty damn good. Not easily rattled and made plays. That's what we need isn't it?
The price of rice in china has changed... he's not worth a second imho

maybe a 4th
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #87
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Just because there was a accusation doesn't mean he's a rapist either.. Charges were never filed and the cops didn't really even talk to Winston. You don't know them either to say she's isn't a "hoe" and he's a rapist either, so it goes both ways.

Innocent until proven guilty right? Especially if a case doesn't even make it's way into a court room and I highly doubt any starting QB at a division 1 school is going to have any problems getting laid on campus where he has to resort to raping somebody.
Legally yeh innocent until proven guilty but I'm not using a high first round pick on him until I'm sure this is completely over and he has had time to show he can stay away from these type situations.
Old 12-14-2013   #88
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Ummm No why would u get RG III when u can get Teddy

and besides guys I don't think we are running a old 90's Denver system and type of players so I don't think no more players from Washington LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #89
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
The price of rice in china has changed... he's not worth a second imho

maybe a 4th
I'm only ever on my phone these days so struggle to give links etc, but there was an article on nfl.com where something like 6 nfl gms were anonymously canvassed and said his value was a 2, but something like half of them said the skins wouldn't trade away their cheap insurance.

Still get the impression Snyder is fully behind RG3, it was his pick after all, he's probably going to bin shanny over his QB, and a new regime may value an extra pick.

If that sorts the QB situation for a decade, it gives us chance to take clowney or trade back for RT and back into the 2nd to get more contributors.

I'm not saying itd definitely work out, but I think it's a far more likely scenario than us getting RG3 and would give us chance to rebuild the framework as well as fixing QB.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #90
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Cousins isn't going anywhere with so many questions surrounding RGIII's injury status and ultimate attainable level of performance after full rehab.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #91
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

1st pick overall seems a bit steep for rg3. If we could trade back to around 8, picking up an extra pick or two in the process, I'd think that would be a fairer trade.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #92
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I would probably say:

"A good line can make a decent QB look good, and a great QB can make a mediocre OL look good."
Says anyone in that block of fans that think drafting a lineman with the first pick isn't "sexy" enough. You build a house on a bad foundation, then everything on the property is bad.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #93
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

In a heartbeat !
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #94
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I don't think it makes my argument shaky. My argument is that a great QB is great, regardless of what kind of line he plays behind. My argument is that, if you think a rookie QB coming out will be great, you take that QB, OL be damned. You'll obviously reach a tipping point somewhere along the continuum where no matter how great a QB is he cannot succeed behind an o-line, but I certainly don't think that's applicable to our situation.

Do I think Bridgewater/Manizel/Carr are going to be Manning or Rogers? I'm a pretty big Bridgewater fan, and I think he could be. At least, I think so enough to take the risk if I am Rick Smith.

I would probably say:

"A good line can make a decent QB look good, and a great QB can make a mediocre OL look good."
A bad OL can end a QBs career so he can never be great to begin with. No matter how much people try to make this about QBs only, it's still a team game.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #95
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You can go back years in here and see that there isn't a bigger supporter of building the trenches than me. Mathews is simply overrated because of his name. I'm not saying he's not good. I think right now he would be a good RT in the nfl who COULD grow into a quality LT eventually. That's not top 5 material.

And lol and RG3 being damaged goods.
Matthews will be an above avg LT/RT. He more likely could become a HOF OG, just like his dad. His dad could play any position on the OL and did through out his career. But Bruce was a HOF OG.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #96
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Again the Texans have no QB. Keenum is a marginal backup, and no way Schaub is going to be on the roster. Unless you want Mark Sanchez or Jay Cutler (if the Bears lose their minds and let him walk) starting next year, it is pretty much going to be QB with the first pick.

Wouldn't be mad about Clowney. The Texans have one pass rusher on the whole roster
Just because the Texans dont have a QB lets reach for Bridgewater at 1-1. Great idea, Carr part deaux.
Old 12-15-2013   #97
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There are certainly exceptions to all rules. However, studies have borne out that not only do 2nd time around ACLs have a higher rate of failure, but that the loss of performance found after the first is more significantly impacted after the second. Add to the fact that RGIII tore up his entire left lateral knee support (complete LCL tear) along with the re-rupture of his ACL, you can also expect that he now carries an inordinate risk of contralateral ACL and other lower limb injuries.

A February study published in the Bone and Joint Journal showed that patients with ACL injury had just as much loss of position sense (proprioception [loss of which leads to instability]) in their good knee as their ACL injured knee, so what happens on one side seems to impact the other. The upshot? Getting one knee ACL “fixed” surgically appears to markedly increase the chance that the other knee will be injured. Is this due to the ACL injury itself or the ACL surgery? It could be either. In an ACL repair, there is no free lunch, less so with a re-repair, meaning that removing the ligament and installing one that can't under any circumstances be considered to be equivalent to the "original equipment" is at best a compromise option.
After reading this I would pass on RG3 with 1-1.
Old 12-15-2013   #98
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
No. A thousand times NO.

Our offensive line needs fixing before any frigging QB no matter who the **** it is. I want to see the O line fixed in the off season. Then lets talk QB.
We've been saying this for about a decade and counting. They haven't fixed the OL/DL and this is a big reason why the team is on a 2-14 course again. Lets see if history repeats itself and Rick decides to go with style (Bridgewater) before substance. (Clowney/Matthews)

Thanks Rick.
Old 12-15-2013   #99
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I think a lot of posters are overstating how bad the offensive line is. Our next LG is already on the roster (Quessenberry) and we just need a RT which aren't that hard to find. We are right in the middle of the league in sacks allowed and that's mostly because one player (Newton) is terrible. We have a frigging Pro Bowl LT and center for crying out loud, we don't need an All Pro o line to win games.
You mean 6th rd pick Ques is going to be the savior of the OL?

The Texans dont need an all pro OL, but it wouldn't hurt?

I dont want to win games. I want to win SB's and an all pro OL/DL seems to be a common theme for teams that compete for SB's

New England/Baltimore/SF/N.O./Sea when healthy etc.....

VS team that dont value OL, Houston/ATL/Mia/Ariz etc....

Last edited by steelbtexan; 12-15-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2013   #100
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Why would y'all want to draft a RT so high in the draft? RT's can be had with 2nd round or even later picks. We didn't get Duane until the end of the 1st and he might've even have fallen to the second.
Great players from every position are available in the second round of a draft, certainly at 33. There is no reason why it would be irresponsible to take a great tackle at #1... He is not a "right tackle". He is an elite LT prospect that we would play at RT, meaning, the team could have two great pass blockers on the edges of the offensive line. That would be a welcomed problem, IMO. Realize that his cap costs would be on par with what Winston was making (5 for $25 million)... So, it is not as if we would be investing too much cap money into the OL. Actually, with Wade Smith's exit, the cap hit for the OLine would likely decrease next year.

I still believe we should draft Bridgewater #1 if the scouts/coaches believe in him, but I certainly don't see a problem with Matthews joining Brown on the Texans' OL the next 5 years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read