Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2013   #41
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would Your Trade the 1st Pick for Rg3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I could be wrong but I think Matthews is the consensus #1 at his position with exception of message board experts. Whether he is worthy of first pick is arguable.
How many T have gone #1 ever?

RT?
Old 12-12-2013   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

RT?
without research Joekiel last draft to answer first question and I think none for second question. That was not the topic however. Your original point was best at his position & Matthews is definitely that. Kouandijo could develop into the same type after a year maybe two. I am still hoping for a trade.
Old 12-12-2013   #43
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
without research Joekiel last draft to answer first question and I think none for second question. That was not the topic however. Your original point was best at his position & Matthews is definitely that. Kouandijo could develop into the same type after a year maybe two. I am still hoping for a trade.
Fisher was first picked this last draft and Joeckel #2. Joeckel was drafted and used at RT but only because they weren't going to reup Monroe. We have a stud LT who we just extended a contact with.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #44
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

RT?
Matthews can play both sides (RT/LT) and both very well. This is why he's coveted. Also three T's (all I believe LT's) have been picked first overall since 1997 when Orlando Pace was taken. The other two were Jake Long in 2008 and Eric Fisher just last year.
Old 12-12-2013   #45
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
True it can pay dividends for a decade. That still leaves a lot of room on how to do it. A Football Life did an episode on The Wall of the 90's Cowboys. It started with a 3rd round pick as its highest picked player.

There is no "only" way to do it of course. I'd prefer to start with Matthews. Others may and will disagree. If Luck was there or another Manning I'd go that route but there isn't. Just Bridgewater who I don't see as nearly as likely to be a franchise QB as I do Matthews being a franchise LT. Brown is wrapping up his 6th season. He can be a "bookend" with Matthews for another few years, get his next (maybe last) big contract from someone else, and Matthews can slide over to the left side at that time.

Hell, if Matthews turns into a better LT than Duane then they can swap positions earlier. If Brown doesn't like it I'm sure someone will be willing to trade for a LT of Brown's quality, though I'd hate for that to happen. I prefer the scenario where they play on the same line for another 3-4 years.

Lots of directions to go with this.
Old 12-12-2013   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
That still blows my mind...Tuinei, Newton? Undrafted. Williams was a 3rd IIRC and believe Allen was the 2nd...I can't remember Stepnoski but I'm sure it was a steal.

Crazy luck or great scouting or both.
The original Wall was:
Tuinei - undrafted
Newton - undrafted
Stepknoski - 3rd round, just 269 lbs
Gesek - 10th round
Williams - 3rd round

The 2nd SB Gesek was replaced with Gogan an 8th round pick. Larry Allen (2nd round 1994) was to take that spot but played RT with Williams out.

Luck, scouting and Hudson Houck as OL coach.

Erik Williams still blames himself for their not winning 4 SBs in a row because of his 1994 car wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
There is no "only" way to do it of course. I'd prefer to start with Matthews. Others may and will disagree.
I was advocating exactly what you laid out with Matthews and Brown a while back in the draft forum. I sm not against the concept. I was surprised to find only 3 1st round OT's have played on the past 10 SB winners with #15 the highest pick (the other two both at #23 iirc). So I do question using the #1 pick on any OT. Wouldn't mind a trade back and get a 1st round OT at all though.

Last edited by infantrycak; 12-12-2013 at 10:42 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Matthews can play both sides (RT/LT) and both very well. This is why he's coveted. Also three T's (all I believe LT's) have been picked first overall since 1997 when Orlando Pace was taken. The other two were Jake Long in 2008 and Eric Fisher just last year.
Mathews will get eaten alive if he starts at LT his rookie season. He doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Pace, Ling or Fisher.
Old 12-12-2013   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Fisher was first picked this last draft and Joeckel #2. Joeckel was drafted and used at RT but only because they weren't going to reup Monroe. We have a stud LT who we just extended a contact with.
Yeah I had them backwards but point is OT is possible pick one. Give Matthews three years as we did Brown and he could be LT and Brown would have just turned 32 days before opening season in the 4th year could switch to right side and might earn himself another contract.
Old 12-12-2013   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Mathews will get eaten alive if he starts at LT his rookie season. He doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Pace, Ling or Fisher.
No way he or any other tackle could beat out Brown nor would they have to. That is why he would play RT for 3 years then switch as has been repeatedly stated.
Old 12-12-2013   #50
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No way he or any other tackle could beat out Brown nor would they have to. That is why he would play RT for 3 years then switch as has been repeatedly stated.
Point is Mathews isn't worth the number one pick.
Old 12-12-2013   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
I wouldn't do it. If anything I would trade out of the first round and have 2 the following year and get Jameis Winston.
^^^^
This

But if I couldn't make that trade I would trade this yrs pick and a 2015 1st for RG3 if his meds checked out.

I'm a huge RG3 guy though and think once the Shanny purge happens the Skins will be tetter in a couple of yrs. Like the Texans they Skins need to fix the OL.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #52
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

But if I couldn't make that trade I would trade this yrs pick and a 2015 1st for RG3 if his meds checked out.

I'm a huge RG3 guy though and think once the Shanny purge happens the Skins will be tetter in a couple of yrs. Like the Texans they Skins need to fix the OL.
I wouldn't touch Winston. Maybe next year if there isn't any more issues but right know no thanks.
Old 12-13-2013   #53
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Neither is anyone else.

This is typical. Whenever a team has a very high pick, there is always going to be a block of fans that think that drafting a lineman isn't "sexy" enough. Instead, they want that "exciting" pick, like the current hot-shot QB or RB, that will help them be 'entertained'.

I'll take Jake Matthews with the first pick without a second thought.

And NO to RG3. He's damaged goods. He is beyond the point of just letting his body heal during the offseason. I put him in the same category as Sam Bradford and Jay Cutler. When they are healthy, it's fine, but when it's time to play, more often than not, they won't answer the bell.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #54
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The son of one of the greatest OL players of all time, that has already shown he is going to be a force himself, isnt worth picking #1?

Matthews or Clowney is the the #1 pick.

Anyone else is a reach.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #55
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
The son of one of the greatest OL players of all time, that has already shown he is going to be a force himself, isnt worth picking #1?

Matthews or Clowney is the the #1 pick.

Anyone else is a reach.
Who cares who his father is. And when has he show he's going to be a force? What does that even mean? The only way Mathews is top 5 is if he has an great combine.
Old 12-13-2013   #56
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Neither is anyone else.

This is typical. Whenever a team has a very high pick, there is always going to be a block of fans that think that drafting a lineman isn't "sexy" enough. Instead, they want that "exciting" pick, like the current hot-shot QB or RB, that will help them be 'entertained'.

I'll take Jake Matthews with the first pick without a second thought.

And NO to RG3. He's damaged goods. He is beyond the point of just letting his body heal during the offseason. I put him in the same category as Sam Bradford and Jay Cutler. When they are healthy, it's fine, but when it's time to play, more often than not, they won't answer the bell.
You can go back years in here and see that there isn't a bigger supporter of building the trenches than me. Mathews is simply overrated because of his name. I'm not saying he's not good. I think right now he would be a good RT in the nfl who COULD grow into a quality LT eventually. That's not top 5 material.

And lol and RG3 being damaged goods.
Old 12-13-2013   #57
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope. I am not buying into the hype

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #58
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't touch Winston. Maybe next year if there isn't any more issues but right know no thanks.
What issues?

Man was guilty of hanging out with hoes.

What 20 yr old kid in college hasn't.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #59
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With rg3 shut down for the season were about to see an audition from cousins.

Anyone fancy him for a 2nd?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #60
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What issues?

Man was guilty of hanging out with hoes.

What 20 yr old kid in college hasn't.
Just because they didn't press charges doesn't mean he didn't do it. If he was available to draft right now I would pass.

You've never met either one of them( him or her) and you weren't there so how do you know she's a hoe and he's not a rapist?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read