Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2013   #161
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm all in on bringing in O'Brien........ and call me crazy but I think I want Mangini as the DC. He has the creative mind it takes to get it done on that side of the ball to fix this defense.

OK. You are crazy.
Old 12-26-2013   #162
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think medical care especially for a child is not only to have a good doctor but one you want treating your kid. The old bed side manner thing.
Old 12-26-2013   #163
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Jim Schwartz may be out of a job but from what I hear, he's a highly regarded defensive minded coach. Bill O'Brien and Schwartz have both coached underneath of "the hoody".

Could work out just fine...

This is strictly conjecture.
with all the talent schwartz has on the defence and he still can't make it work. i would much rather rex ryan but i think he will be a HC job instead
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #164
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien agrees to an interview with the Texans.

Quote:
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's "Around the League Live" that O'Brien is one of the Houston Texans' top candidates to fill their coaching job, according to sources familiar with the team's process. O'Brien and the Texans agreed to have an interview after Christmas, which means it's already happened or it will happen in the near future.
Link.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #165
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

Link.
That surprises me but am glad.
Old 12-26-2013   #166
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

Quote:
...which means it's already happened or it will happen in the near future.
Link.

Hopefully it means it already happened, they agreed in principal, and aren't worried about having to deny it in the media.
Old 12-26-2013   #167
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien is intriguing, but I'd like to know what type of staff he would pull together. Would he bring in a lot of college coaches? Would he be able to pull from Belichick's current staff? That should be a big part in deciding whether to offer O'Brien the job.
Old 12-26-2013   #168
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Bill O Brien wouldn't be bad, but we need an alpha dog for our defense. i think best case would be Bill with Rex Ryan as DC, I think rex would do great things for this defense, but wouldn't want him as HC, only DC.
Rex's biggest problem will be overcoming the bad taste his father Buddy Ryan left in the mouths of Houstonians. I know it was the Oilers and 20 years ago, but the old men have long memories.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #169
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Rex's biggest problem will be overcoming the bad taste his father Buddy Ryan left in the mouths of Houstonians. I know it was the Oilers and 20 years ago, but the old men have long memories.
They also have DVRs.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #170
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winning would wash away a lot of things, not the least of which would be memories. Rex would actually intrigue me a lot as a DC; he might not give a damn about NFL offenses on his teams but by golly his defenses are why the Jets have ever been competitive lately.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #171
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad to hear we landed an interview with O'Brien. He shoots to the top of my list. I didn't think there was a chance of him leaving Penn State. This is the route the Texans need to go if it pans out. Much better than the retread route. Hopefully O'Brien turns out to be the Bellichik assistant that turns out to be a chip of the old block and not a Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss, Eric Mangini, or Josh McDaniels.
Old 12-27-2013   #172
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 35830 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
O'Brien is intriguing, but I'd like to know what type of staff he would pull together.
He will bring in some of his friends who aren't good coaches, but are good friends.

Oops, my bad, I was still thinking of our last head coach...
Old 12-27-2013   #173
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 62902 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rex's biggest problem will be overcoming the bad taste his father Buddy Ryan left in the mouths of Houstonians. I know it was the Oilers and 20 years ago,
Quote:
but the old men have long memories
Well......It's about all we have left.

Old 12-27-2013   #174
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Glad to hear we landed an interview with O'Brien. He shoots to the top of my list. I didn't think there was a chance of him leaving Penn State. This is the route the Texans need to go if it pans out. Much better than the retread route. Hopefully O'Brien turns out to be the Bellichik assistant that turns out to be a chip of the old block and not a Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss, Eric Mangini, or Josh McDaniels.
I would certainly hope he was a step above Bellicheat, rather than a clone.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #175
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'm about to reach the point where I might not care if the Texans cheat as long as they win.

The Patriots and Broncos run so many rubs/pick plays with their WRs and TEs and get away with it. I'm waiting for a defender to just start knocking their receivers out when they do that **** but the damn player protection rules and fines are keeping that from happening.

Last edited by Brandon420tx; 12-27-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #176
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If that's the way it's played now then we need to play that way. Either it's illegal and it's penalized or they ignore it and it is time the Texans got good at doing it.

It's time to win consistently and Belichick's team is one of the few that wins consistently. If he walked out of there and announced that his services were for sale I'd hire him immediately.
Old 12-27-2013   #177
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Penn State is on probation is not their season technically over & a deal could be reached with Bill O'Brien now?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #178
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Since Penn State is on probation is not their season technically over & a deal could be reached with Bill O'Brien now?
I believe so.

And since they've already talked to Lovie, they've already fulfilled the Rooney Rule.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #179
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

But the Texans will want to see what David Shaw is going to do - whether he's willing to leave Stanford - and this announcement and any interview won't happen until after the Jan 1st Rose Bowl.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #180
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
He's a college coach - pretty much all of them are available right now (for a price).

Signed,
Chris Peterson, Steve Sarkisian, and lots of others.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read