Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2013   #141
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Penn State runs a "pro" offense. The QB while highly recruited, had a really good 1st year and one the WRs is a 1st/2nd round candidate.

The buyout is a real issue because the pure dollars involved, but even post-scandal Penn State is the college football program of the entire northeast/new England state area and is probably the equal of the Longhorns job...i.e. better than a good portion of the NFL.
Nonsense. Penn State isn't the Big Program you think it is. And hasn't been for a while. It is not UT, or USC, or Alabama. The Penn State job is not better than a good portion of the NFL; the NFL is the NFL. Period.

And, no, Penn State does not run a "pro" offense; it's a college. it runs a college offense.

The buyout is pennies. We can afford it. We can afford anyone we want.

Look, I'm on board for O'Brien, but, I'm being real about the fact that he has NEVER been an NFL head coach. Two years at a big school does not mean he's the great coach everyone thinks he is...
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #142
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I can't think of a worse fit than a Ryan in the Texan organization. Ryan as an assistant would be a disaster with a first time coach like O'Brien.
As a DC Rex was fine, it was when he became HC that his antics were a problem. No matter what happened his Jets defenses were always top half of the league. Put him back at DC and let him focus on that, WATCH OUT.

And for those who say he gets a head coach job immediately, I doubt it. There are tons of HC options out there and there are lots more BETTER candidates at HC than Rex. I think he has to take a DC job for a few years before becoming HC again.
Old 12-23-2013   #143
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
If the Texans come a knocking, he'd best take the job. There are many worse organizations to work for than in Houston.
There will be additional NFL HC openings. O'Brien will have his choice of jobs. At the top of his list will be a team that will give him final say on the 53 man roster. The Texans are not one of those teams.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #144
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't think of a worse fit than a Ryan in the Texan organization. Ryan as an assistant would be a disaster with a first time coach like O'Brien.
Rex Ryan is exactly the type of coach the Texans need. That he would be such a terrible fit in your eyes with the Texans organization shows me how far away the Texans are from being championship caliber organization. I want Bill O'Brien but I would also love a Rex Ryan hire. He has done a great job coaching a Jets team with far less talent than the Texans.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #145
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Interested in O'brien but I watched first five minutes of Bortles video & of 3 long passes he made one, threw short on another and had the third intercepted.
What's one have to do with the other?
Old 12-23-2013   #146
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What's one have to do with the other?
From Texian's post #118. Thought I had direct quoted it:

There is a good chance that O'Brien would want to draft Blake Bortles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JLz-M9E8E

UCF 34, Penn St 31
Old 12-23-2013   #147
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
There will be additional NFL HC openings. O'Brien will have his choice of jobs. At the top of his list will be a team that will give him final say on the 53 man roster. The Texans are not one of those teams.
Any team that gives final say to a man who has zero experience as an NFL head coach deserves whatever they get.

Let's get the "Coordinator X wants full control" narrative out of our heads. It's unrealistic and probably won't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2013   #148
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Any team that gives final say to a man who has zero experience as an NFL head coach deserves whatever they get.

Let's get the "Coordinator X wants full control" narrative out of our heads. It's unrealistic and probably won't happen.

Happens all the time, almost every year.
Old 12-23-2013   #149
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 6836 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Rex Ryan is exactly the type of coach the Texans need. That he would be such a terrible fit in your eyes with the Texans organization shows me how far away the Texans are from being championship caliber organization. I want Bill O'Brien but I would also love a Rex Ryan hire. He has done a great job coaching a Jets team with far less talent than the Texans.

Something I want to point out is that, the reason why they don't have talent is because he never gotten talent for that team. He always went with the sexy signing and picks. Look how that jets team turned out.......
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #150
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

I'm willing to trust Bill O'Brien a heck if a lot more than Rick Smith when it comes to our roster....isn't even close.
Old 12-23-2013   #151
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If O'Brien is from the Belichick tree, you don't have to worry about Rex being on his staff.
Old 12-23-2013   #152
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
You say this as if the move would completely neuter the GM. It is totally possible for the HC to have final say on the 53, that's the way it should be. Don't need the owner or anyone else telling the HC who his starting QB should be.

As long as the HC knows the GM is his boss, the power structure should stay intact.

It's cool to have a QB like Peyton Manning calling audibles & adjusting the offense to what he sees on the field, but you need an OC in charge to manage the game. IMO, that's why Peyton only has one ring.

Same thing, the HC is the guy who manages the season, but long term, it's got to be the GMs vision, plan. Doesn't matter who the final 53 is as long as the core stays intact.
Old 12-23-2013   #153
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You say this as if the move would completely neuter the GM. It is totally possible for the HC to have final say on the 53, that's the way it should be. Don't need the owner or anyone else telling the HC who his starting QB should be.

As long as the HC knows the GM is his boss, the power structure should stay intact.

It's cool to have a QB like Peyton Manning calling audibles & adjusting the offense to what he sees on the field, but you need an OC in charge to manage the game. IMO, that's why Peyton only has one ring.

Same thing, the HC is the guy who manages the season, but long term, it's got to be the GMs vision, plan. Doesn't matter who the final 53 is as long as the core stays intact.
My point being, give a perspective head a coach a choice of having full control and final say on the 53 man roster vs answering to the GM w/o control of the team roster, 99.9% of the time the perspective head coach will opt for full control and final say. Example is Jeff Fisher, he interviewed for both the Miami and St Louis jobs. All things being equal most folks would choose Miami. However Miami didn't offer full control, St. Louis did and Fisher is the Rams Head Coach.
Old 12-23-2013   #154
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point being, give a perspective head a coach a choice of having full control and final say on the 53 man roster vs answering to the GM w/o control of the team roster, 99.9% of the time the perspective head coach will opt for full control and final say. Example is Jeff Fisher, he interviewed for both the Miami and St Louis jobs. All things being equal most folks would choose Miami. However Miami didn't offer full control, St. Louis did and Fisher is the Rams Head Coach.
Yeah I can agree that the coach should have final say of the 53... and the GM has say on who is brought in to compete for the 53.

It's a symbiotic relationship. They have to work together to have any success at all
Old 12-26-2013   #155
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-jump-to-nfl/

Less than two years removed from crippling Sandusky-fueled sanctions and still two seasons away from the ability to compete for bowl games, O’Brien could decide to continue the job he took after serving as Bill Belichick’s offensive coordinator in New England.

O’Brien wouldn’t be the first (or the last) football coach to say one thing and done another, and it would be hard to fault him for making a money grab at the next level. But family considerations also come into play, given that O’Brien’s 11-year-old son, Jack, has a medical condition that prevents him from walking or talking and results in near-daily seizures. The O’Briens reportedly have a high degree of comfort with the local medical care Jack is receiving and the elementary school Jack is attending; uprooting him from that while at the same time finding an acceptable replacement in a new city will present a considerable challenge.
Old 12-26-2013   #156
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-jump-to-nfl/

Less than two years removed from crippling Sandusky-fueled sanctions and still two seasons away from the ability to compete for bowl games, O’Brien could decide to continue the job he took after serving as Bill Belichick’s offensive coordinator in New England.

O’Brien wouldn’t be the first (or the last) football coach to say one thing and done another, and it would be hard to fault him for making a money grab at the next level. But family considerations also come into play, given that O’Brien’s 11-year-old son, Jack, has a medical condition that prevents him from walking or talking and results in near-daily seizures. The O’Briens reportedly have a high degree of comfort with the local medical care Jack is receiving and the elementary school Jack is attending; uprooting him from that while at the same time finding an acceptable replacement in a new city will present a considerable challenge.
Texans Childrens Hospital is just minutes away from Reliant.

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 19m
Said on @NFL_ATL Live: Penn St. coach Bill O’Brien is high on #Texans radar. The plan between the 2 sides was to have an interview post-XMas
Send the jet Bob!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #157
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all in on bringing in O'Brien........ and call me crazy but I think I want Mangini as the DC. He has the creative mind it takes to get it done on that side of the ball to fix this defense.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #158
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Texans Childrens Hospital is just minutes away from Reliant.

Send the jet Bob!

Right. We have the Houston Medical Center for that type of problem. Next?

Get him out here Bob. Schedule the interview.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #159
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm all in on bringing in O'Brien........ and call me crazy but I think I want Mangini as the DC. He has the creative mind it takes to get it done on that side of the ball to fix this defense.
Id prefer Rex
Old 12-26-2013   #160
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Id prefer Rex
Jim Schwartz may be out of a job but from what I hear, he's a highly regarded defensive minded coach. Bill O'Brien and Schwartz have both coached underneath of "the hoody".

Could work out just fine...

This is strictly conjecture.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read