Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2014   #1461
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The Colts are better just from QB play alone. The other two teams in the division are, as we are, big question marks. I don't think Henne or Locker finish the year as their teams' starters. Maybe we get out of the division with a 3-3 record. Maaaybe we get 3 or 4 wins out of the other ten games.
And just for grins, let's see who those are...
Washington - think RAC will have his D ready for a healthy RGIII?
@ Oakland - I just hope Schaub doesn't throw for 350 yds on us.
@ Giants - Can Fitzy outduel Eli?
Buffalo - Mario comes home to roost
@ Dallas - Have we ever beaten the Cowboys up there? Seriously, I don't remember
@ Pittsburgh - Can Fitzy outduel Big Ben?
Philadelphia - Can KJ or J-Joe cover Jeremy Maclin? Can our LBs run with LeShon McCoy?
@ Cleveland - Johnny F. Football should be the starter by now. What do you think will happen
Cincinnati - Can our guys stay with A.J. Green?
Baltimore - Boy we better beat Kubiak's offense in our house.

Cleveland, Oakland, and Buffalo are possible wins; but then again, two of those games are on the road....
Like I said I see six, maybe seven wins...
Give me
1. Washington- Home opener, defense makes RG3 look bad. Offense runs over Redskins defense 24-21
2. Oakland- I would feel better if the Texans were facing Schaub later in the yr after his foot started giving him problems again. 31- 23
3. NYG- Giants are going to be terrible this yr. Worst OL in the NFL. 20-7
4. Cincy Texans always have Dalton's number. 20-13
5. Buffalo- MW is hurt by now Texans
6. Dallas- Texans defense holds Cowboys to 24, Cowboys historically bad defense gives up 35

This doesn't include Cleveland who the Texans could beat. So if I'm wrong and the Texans go 5-2 in these games and go 4-2 in the AFC South that still = 9 wins.

Pass the Koolaid please. Not that I'm saying things will work out this way.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #1462
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Colts are better just from QB play alone. The other two teams in the division are, as we are, big question marks. I don't think Henne or Locker finish the year as their teams' starters. Maybe we get out of the division with a 3-3 record. Maaaybe we get 3 or 4 wins out of the other ten games.
@ Dallas - Have we ever beaten the Cowboys up there? Seriously, I don't remember
Philadelphia - Can KJ or J-Joe cover Jeremy Maclin? Can our LBs run with LeShon McCoy?
@ Cleveland - Johnny F. Football should be the starter by now. What do you think will happen

Cleveland, Oakland, and Buffalo are possible wins; but then again, two of those games are on the road....

Your worried if JJoe or Kjax can cover Maclin??!! Coming off an injury??!! Eagles offense is overrated IMO. STOP McCoy, you stop there offense!
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #1463
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all just remember Fitzpatrick tends to throw picks in the 4th quarter, so while it's temping to think that the Texans defense could win some games, keep in mind that Fitzpatrick could give them away.
Old 07-17-2014   #1464
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

None of these above listed teams worry me too much. RAC is all about 1 on 1 matchups with his Schemes, and I'm pretty confident in our defense.
Old 07-17-2014   #1465
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Y'all just remember Fitzpatrick tends to throw picks in the 4th quarter, so while it's temping to think that the Texans defense could win some games, keep in mind that Fitzpatrick could give them away.
If this happens don't expect Fitz to be the starting QB for very long.

So you don't think Fitz is going to take the Texans org on a magical ride? LOL
Old 07-17-2014   #1466
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Come on Debbie Downer cant you see people were starting to get drunk off the Koolaid, then you had to go around giving breathalyzers
Old 07-17-2014   #1467
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If this happens don't expect Fitz to be the starting QB for very long.

So you don't think Fitz is going to take the Texans org on a magical ride? LOL
nah, just have to keep reminding myself "this is a rebuild year, this is a rebuild year..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Come on Debbie Downer cant you see people were starting to get drunk off the Koolaid, then you had to go around giving breathalyzers
Nope, not Debbie Downer, but rather Ronnie Realist.

My attitude this season is to not have high expectations and I won't be disappointed.

Hey, Fitz starts being something he's never been before and I'll be glad to say I was incorrect in doubting him. However, based on his history, I simply find it delusional to hope for something he has never been to this point.

Some of our biggest optimists on the forum have expressed their doubts in this thread, so I'm in good company.
Old 07-17-2014   #1468
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
nah, just have to keep reminding myself "this is a rebuild year, this is a rebuild year..."

My attitude this season is to not have high expectations and I won't be disappointed.

Hey, Fitz starts being something he's never been before and I'll be glad to say I was incorrect in doubting him. However, based on his history, I simply find it delusional to hope for something he has never been to this point.

Some of our biggest optimists on the forum have expressed their doubts in this thread, so I'm in good company.
I thought drinking the koolaid meant you were delusional
Old 07-17-2014   #1469
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I thought drinking the koolaid meant you were delusional
IMO, you've got to be drinking spiked koolaid to believe that Ryan Fitzpatrick is taking this team to the playoffs.
Old 07-17-2014   #1470
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
IMO, you've got to be drinking spiked koolaid to believe that Ryan Fitzpatrick is taking this team to the playoffs.
HAHA well TBH i dont think Fitz will be the starter, i believe either Kennum or Savage will beat him out. Hoping so anyways.

And duh my koolaid is spiked, is there any other way to drink it
Old 07-17-2014   #1471
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be shocked if they make the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick as QB.

Heck, I'd be shocked if they posted a winning record with Ryan Fitzpatrick as QB.
Prepare to be shocked sir!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #1472
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Your worried if JJoe or Kjax can cover Maclin??!! Coming off an injury??!! Eagles offense is overrated IMO. STOP McCoy, you stop there offense!
J-Joe is coming off a sub-par year where he was gimpy himself and K-Jax has bad luck when it comes to untimely penalties (some of those he got were unwarranted IMO, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion)... And the guy behind McCoy is Sproles - I don't see a LB on our squad that can cover either of them
...so yeah, I'm a bit worried.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #1473
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Me too. Hell, I'll even re-up in the club. As DB alluded to, I used to be president back in '09.

Old 07-17-2014   #1474
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Me too. Hell, I'll even re-up in the club. As DB alluded to, I used to be president back in '09.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #1475
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
J-Joe is coming off a sub-par year where he was gimpy himself and K-Jax has bad luck when it comes to untimely penalties (some of those he got were unwarranted IMO, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion)... And the guy behind McCoy is Sproles - I don't see a LB on our squad that can cover either of them
...so yeah, I'm a bit worried.
There is a rumor, though, that RAC uses some sort of exotic defense in the passing game... I think it is called a ZONE defense. If I understand this radical concept, my understanding is that the zone coverage will allow the LBs to cover an area in the middle of the field instead of chasing guys with 4.3 speed around the entire field. Perhaps that will help out the LBs some?
Old 07-18-2014   #1476
austins23
Veteran

Section: GridIron 525
Rep Power: 21391 austins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Must have been spiked two years ago when #8 took em to the playoffs.
Old 07-18-2014   #1477
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
None of these above listed teams worry me too much. RAC is all about 1 on 1 matchups with his Schemes, and I'm pretty confident in our defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
There is a rumor, though, that RAC uses some sort of exotic defense in the passing game... I think it is called a ZONE defense. If I understand this radical concept, my understanding is that the zone coverage will allow the LBs to cover an area in the middle of the field instead of chasing guys with 4.3 speed around the entire field. Perhaps that will help out the LBs some?
Alright you two, which is it. Will our coverage scheme be 1 on 1 matchups (which worries me) or Zone (which doesn't make me feel a whole lot better)??
Gimme something here.... I need a good, logically defendable reason to re-up in the Sunshine Club. ...like Watt will be Watt, Clowney will be as advertised during all the pre-draft hoopla, and Mercilus will take a step up and be what we hoped he would last year. If those three perform well our pass rush could be unstoppable.

....of course our offense still won't be able to score because you cannot pull off the Belichick offense without a Brady as your trigger man
and we have Fitzpatrick...
Old 07-18-2014   #1478
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Alright you two, which is it. Will our coverage scheme be 1 on 1 matchups (which worries me) or Zone (which doesn't make me feel a whole lot better)??
Gimme something here.... I need a good, logically defendable reason to re-up in the Sunshine Club. ...like Watt will be Watt, Clowney will be as advertised during all the pre-draft hoopla, and Mercilus will take a step up and be what we hoped he would last year. If those three perform well our pass rush could be unstoppable.

....of course our offense still won't be able to score because you cannot pull off the Belichick offense without a Brady as your trigger man

Well, I got my info from a KC fan who is a football nut. The other guy opened up with the word rumor.

Good research can be done at arrowhead pride .

My source though thinks RAC is stuck in the 80s with scheme, " my guy vs your guy"
Old 07-18-2014   #1479
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...stuck in the 80s with scheme, " my guy vs your guy"
I thought we just fired that guy.

When KJ was asked the difference in the defensive schemes he responded, "well, we won't be sitting ducks."

Old 07-18-2014   #1480
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Here's some sunshine for you

Offense - 1. Newton become serviceable in pass pro and a dominating run blocker. 2. Hopkins steps his game up and gets 80 catches 3. Foster returns to his dominating self. 4. Brown stays healthy and XSF becomes an all rookie/pro bowl type player.

Defense- 1. Watt becomes even more dominant with more talent around him. 2. Cushing stays healthy and plays at an all pro level. 3. Clowney becomes the pass rusher on a Bruce Smith level. 4. With all of the attention Watt/Clowney get Mercilus becomes a 10 sack guy. 5. Reed makes a seamless transition to ILB. 6. Nix stays healthy and plays like the dominant top 10 pick he would have been if he had gone into the 2013 draft. 7. AJ Bouye becomes an above avg CB allowing KJ to play the slot which his short area coverage ability would be a strength.

Most of all the Texans need to stay healthy because there's not a lot of quality depth. If 7 of the 11 things happen and Fitz gives avg QB play then the Texans can be a playoff team. How's that for some sunshine?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read