Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2014   #1341
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Cheese and Rice people!! When is Kick-off??
Old 05-02-2014   #1342
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I've come to believe, after reading a ton of posts on the guy, that I now haven't the slightest idea of what to think of him. He'll either impress me in the preseason or I'll posting $hit on him all year.
He's going to get a lot of leeway from me in his 1st year as HC. Next year, I will be much harder on him and expect to see a more polished product on the field. And I have no idea what to think of him, either. All in all, I'm ok with that as long as he's his own man ( as many, in the know, have stated he will be) and not try to be a Belichik clone.
Old 05-02-2014   #1343
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Cheese and Rice people!! When is Kick-off??
Is that what's on the buffet at the gentlemen's club of choice for you tonight? LOL
Old 05-10-2014   #1344
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Love the way OB talks about these draft picks, including Clowney. Rookies need to come in and shut up and learn... and they all have a lot to learn to play in this league. The rookies, they have a long way to go. Not pumping any smoke up our skirts.

Quote:
The most competitive teams have the most competitive rosters -- we're going to create competition at every position.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1345
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 20999 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, that was a good interview. Liking what's happened since his hiring. Still it's all talk at this point let's see the product on the field!
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1346
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

So far, O'Brien has been exactly what I thought he would be. Still loving this hire.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1347
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Love the way OB talks about these draft picks, including Clowney. Rookies need to come in and shut up and learn... and they all have a lot to learn to play in this league. Rookies, they
That thing about competition is big.

You don't just pencil guys in as starters year after year. They need to prove it every snap, every practice, every game, every month, every year.

It sounds good, but hopefully BOB won't develop favorites like Kubiak did.
Old 05-10-2014   #1348
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
That thing about competition is big.

You don't just pencil guys in as starters year after year. They need to prove it every snap, every practice, every game, every month, every year.

It sounds good, but hopefully BOB won't develop favorites like Kubiak did.
No, the above sounds good to fans. There isn't a single team in the league that has the competition you describe.
Old 05-10-2014   #1349
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No, the above sounds good to fans. There isn't a single team in the league that has the competition you describe.
The competition is between you and the cap .
Old 05-10-2014   #1350
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd like to see a true competition at the QB spot, but I bet we won't see one.
Old 05-10-2014   #1351
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What's that look like? - something like this on the practice field:

Old 05-10-2014   #1352
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Obviously 'Every snap, every practice' is figurative and not literal. If Watt has a bad game he's not losing his starting spot.

What I refer to is the old mentality of guys going out and stinking it up for entire years under the Kubiak regime and still getting PT. Not every team does that. Or guys getting PT because they were drafted high. Not every team does that. Seattle signed that backup QB whose name escapes me right now and instead started Wilson for example.

All I mean is that players should never feel like they have the starting spot locked down. Where they can go out and set a record for pick 6 or miss FG after FG and still get chance after chance to redeem themselves.

Of course there are players who are given the benefit of the doubt because they are so good you don't expect them to be bad consistently.
Old 05-10-2014   #1353
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why wouldn't we? That's what training camp is for. I don't think OB is planning on tapping the second or third best guy to start for us.
Old 05-11-2014   #1354
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
The Texans took the well-traveled Savage at No. 135 overall in the fourth round. O’Brien didn’t rule out anything for Savage and cited the resilience of his oldest son, Jack, who deals with daily seizures and has been diagnosed with lissencephaly, as the reason the Texans won’t place a “ceiling” on any of their players.

“You create your own ceiling by talking about ceilings,” O’Brien said. “So I don’t think that we ever talk about that here, ever.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ge/#23243101=0
Old 05-11-2014   #1355
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Wow.... that's some strong stuff.
Old 05-17-2014   #1356
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

(on as a rookie head coach, how long he expects it to take to get comfortable with all of his players and new surroundings) “I did it at the college level, no question; it takes a little bit of time. I don’t know that it takes one week, two weeks, a month or whatever it is, but it’s very important to get to know these guys. Not just as football players, but it’s very, very important to get to know these guys as people, as who they are, where they come from, what their backgrounds are. That takes a while. That takes individual conversations. That takes group conversations.

I’ve done that quite a bit with the veterans and now I’m starting to do that with the rookies. There are certain guys that we probably know a little bit better than maybe some of the other guys that weren’t drafted and things like that, so it takes a while.

As far as on the football field and how each player fits into our system, I think that takes a while because you have to watch them practice, watch them perform on film, how do they process things in the meetings. How do they process things in the walkthroughs? What types of questions do they ask? I think that takes a while. You don’t learn about someone overnight in that regard either, so it’s a process. It can’t take forever, that’s for sure. You have to figure it out fairly quickly, but you can’t figure it out in one day.”

(on if the learning about the individual and who he is and if that’s what allows him to know how best to coach him) “Sure, that’s part of it. That’s a big part of it, to me, as a head football coach at any level, whether it’s college or in the National Football league. These guys are at the top of their profession. They’re guys, whether they were really good college players that came in here as rookies and have a shot in the NFL, or they are proven veterans that have been here for a while in Houston and had productive careers. Whoever they are, it takes a while to get to know them but it’s very important, for me, as the head football coach to do the best that I can to know in all facets.

What type of people they are? Where they come from? Like I said, how they learn, how they process, and what’s important to them in their lives. We talk a lot about family. We talk a lot about where they are from, how they were raised, what types of systems they played in in College. We can really learn about the background of each guy, so we know not only how to coach them as players, but what is important to them in their lives and how to speak to them as individuals.
Old 05-17-2014   #1357
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 218645 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What type of people they are? Where they come from? Like I said, how they learn, how they process, and what’s important to them in their lives. We talk a lot about family. We talk a lot about where they are from, how they were raised, what types of systems they played in in College. We can really learn about the background of each guy, so we know not only how to coach them as players, but what is important to them in their lives and how to speak to them as individuals.[/color]
This part really struck me because I don't think most head coaches really take the time to learn that much about their players. Sure, they probably do learn that about a few of their top performers, the stars, the teacher's pets, but it doesn't seem that most coaches even bother to learn the names of the fringe guys.

If OB is doing that and learning that much about these players, that says one helluva lot about his leadership to me.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #1358
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This part really struck me because I don't think most head coaches really take the time to learn that much about their players. Sure, they probably do learn that about a few of their top performers, the stars, the teacher's pets, but it doesn't seem that most coaches even bother to learn the names of the fringe guys.

If OB is doing that and learning that much about these players, that says one helluva lot about his leadership to me.
I keep getting flak at other forums about the failures of the Belechik coaching tree not having success. I don't remember any of those coaches making comments like that. I Also like how they casually overlook O brien already having success at Penn ST before arriving here.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #1359
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This part really struck me because I don't think most head coaches really take the time to learn that much about their players...
Yeah, it's interesting to see how they differ. Gus Bradley said they're not going to jump in and start fixing everything that Bortles is doing wrong -- more like they'll wade into in slowly over time.

OB seems like he'll be fixing the basics, the details from the get go. Learning what learning style a player prefers reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nhIfp9gr0
Old 05-17-2014   #1360
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I keep getting flak at other forums about the failures of the Belechik coaching tree not having success. I don't remember any of those coaches making comments like that. I Also like how they casually overlook O brien already having success at Penn ST before arriving here.
If you copy someone your not genuine and players will see through it . If he borrowed something and personalized it then he'll be fine .

Josh McDaniels and Mangini wanted to be all cocky and act like the smartest guys in the room and failed .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read